Topic Stats

• 1,159 posts
  • 204 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by PinballCharlie
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 226 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20200521_090609 (resized).jpg
Droid2 (resized).jpg
20200418_161305 (resized).jpg
SW-TOPb (resized).jpg
20200309_130701a (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
8D970173-A5A4-4DBE-BCBC-6F1FD87A8EF1 (resized).jpeg
85C7846B-6EEF-4A0D-B1B8-A74B45DD0DA8.jpeg
44A712DE-AE6D-4746-B954-F943537CEA6B.jpeg
20200216_114450_resized (resized).jpg

There are 1159 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 24.
#851 5 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

We are at the AMC theatre for the movie. My wife bought me this. $50 for R2, large popcorn and large soda.
I could have saved $700...[quoted image]

Cut off the dome and replace the one on the Stern topper.

#852 5 months ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Cut off the dome and replace the one on the Stern topper.

#853 5 months ago

Now that I’m out of the movie (I enjoyed it), here are some more photos.

The body holds the popcorn. The head holds the soda. You can rest assured that no buttery popcorn or sticky soda has touched my precious R2-D2. The head also appears to come off for cleaning.

I think this is an unlimited edition.
06A012DA-842E-4B34-95FA-9C90598F54AF (resized).jpeg0C48F7CD-1EA3-482F-A17F-636FE111879A (resized).jpeg3FEEDF8E-88F1-4BCA-9133-E57EB5370F66 (resized).jpeg4B280343-62A5-428C-8484-07D38D13A8FA (resized).jpeg544B9579-A821-4D4A-AEA1-6384EE7A2242 (resized).jpeg5D1EE2C3-1822-465A-9C53-341C4200110B (resized).jpeg5DDE55AF-DE3F-4CFD-B6F1-7369961D9C14 (resized).jpeg

#854 5 months ago

That thing is awesome. I’ll take it!
Here’s a pic when it’s “fully loaded”
Sweet.
3B9AE971-F51A-454D-AA2E-4574878009FC (resized).jpeg

#855 5 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

We are at the AMC theatre for the movie. My wife bought me this. $50 for R2, large popcorn and large soda.
I could have saved $700...[quoted image]

Going to my local AMC this weekend to see the movie. Hope they offer this there!

#856 5 months ago

stern should be ashamed of themselves when they get beat out (badly) by a theatre add-on! that popcorn R2-D2 looks miles better than the lackluster atrocity that calls itself a topper

#857 5 months ago
Quoted from j_m_:

stern should be ashamed of themselves when they get beat out (badly) by a theatre add-on!

They really shouldn't. Stern is a pinball company & whomever made this is probably a pro plastics factory and this is their job.

Sterns job was to hand cut stickers to make R2 form molded panels?...I mean they should be ashamed of what they made no doubt, it doesn't need to be put up against anything else for validation (or invalidation?)

#858 5 months ago
Quoted from That370Z:

So the plaque could have gone here and wouldn’t have blocked anything..I’m not sure why it didn’t

I know why it wasn’t on the front. Stern designed the topper way before they decided to make it an LE topper. I don’t like the decision to make it an LE either. Not sure I would want a plaque on the front of my topper anyway. Kinda strange.

That being said, I really like this topper. R2 interacts with a lot of gameplay elements differently. He will spin his dome 360 degrees when you get an extra ball. He will move and beep during the bonus screen when R2 is on the LCD in almost the same pattern. He is more active during modes that he is a main character in. He freaks out when you get a danger or tilt. Lots of cool stuff. It’s the only topper that I have had that you actually notice during gameplay because of the sounds and movement.

Is it stupidly overpriced?  Hell yes.  Are some of the decals not perfect when you get 6 inches away from the topper? Yes and that’s lame. Is is still freaking awesome?  Hell yes.

#859 5 months ago
Quoted from That370Z:

But here are some pictures of it apart.

Thanks a lot for the detailed photos. Can you please maybe measure the exact diameter of R2D2s head? Possibly this can be replaced by a custom made one (or one stolen from a toy) which can host a projector...

#860 5 months ago

Stern should be ashamed of themselves.. all these defects on a high dollar product , along with all the other issues . Not cool .

#861 5 months ago

Topper number 88 is in the house. I really like it. Mine seems well assembled and the stickers are all straight with the exception of the small black one which is slightly off center. It has some really cool game interaction and it looks pretty good from the play position. The only thing I really don’t like is the light leak from the bottom. Right now I have a foam rubber strip temporarily covering it. Definitely need a more permanent fix for that. It is ridiculous that Stern would release it in that condition, but other than that I don’t really have any complaints. It definitely looks cool, and Star Wars is my grail theme, so I had to have it. It really adds to the look of the machine and the overall game play enjoyment plus enhances the theme. I don’t find it noisy either. You can hear the motor but it sounds like R2’s motor so it actually adds to the cool effects and it’s not louder than many mechs in pinball. So although it’s overpriced, and I’m really disappointed it does not include the projector feature as originally planned, I nevertheless really do enjoy it and I’m definitely glad I got it. I think any true Star Wars fan would enjoy adding it to their pin.
20FAA157-53D8-41A1-BFFC-F2EDC4CE0AE7 (resized).jpeg26D21931-20F2-437F-8880-EDA7AB9B7829 (resized).jpeg74558105-BD17-4766-BED1-CB4A4336BB72 (resized).jpeg7BFCECD9-BC28-41C9-9EE8-62812AE94ECF (resized).jpeg7FEC61AD-D593-44C9-89F9-311CD1B09FF7 (resized).jpeg

#862 5 months ago

Holy hell, Disney should’ve held out another 2 years until Stern could hire someone to apply stickers straight!

04AAA66C-3EF2-4ECA-A217-066CD809660F (resized).jpeg

#863 5 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Holy hell, Disney should’ve held out another 2 years until Stern could hire someone to apply stickers straight!
[quoted image]

Yoko, we get it. Some of the decals are not perfect on the R2 dome. You are relentless on here and it isn’t adding much to the conversation. Not defending stern by any means here but it’s just becoming a broken record now.

#864 5 months ago

R2D2 topper is in the house! Super easy installation! To be honest, he looks a little smaller than I thought he would be from the pictures.

No scuffs and the stickers look great on mine so clearly some variability in the installation of them.

I installed a strip of foam tape like @kermit24 posted earlier - Easy add (remove 4 screws) zero light bleed.

Motor noise isn't a problem for me either. Sounds like R2D2. There is motor noise from the speakers as well.

FYI - there are R2D2 settings to control how often he activates in attract mode and some others. Default is every 20 minutes. I bumped mine up to every 5 just to see more of his actions.

#865 5 months ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

R2D2 topper is in the house! Super easy installation! To be honest, he looks a little smaller than I thought he would be from the pictures.
No scuffs and the stickers look great on mine so clearly some variability in the installation of them.
I installed a strip of foam tape like @kermit24 posted earlier - Easy add (remove 4 screws) zero light bleed.
Motor noise isn't a problem for me either. Sounds like R2D2. There is motor noise from the speakers as well.
FYI - there are R2D2 settings to control how often he activates in attract mode and some others. Default is every 20 minutes. I bumped mine up to every 5 just to see more of his actions.

Just wondering if the attract mode has any video playing simultaneously when his movements are active.

#866 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Just wondering if the attract mode has any video playing simultaneously when his movements are active.

No. The video that plays in attract seems independent of what R2 does.

#867 5 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

That thing is awesome. I’ll take it!
Here’s a pic when it’s “fully loaded”
Sweet.
[quoted image]

Got it!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#868 5 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

[quoted image]

Rofl.
Thats quality right there.
And to all thoose worrying about the motor noice, I'm willing to bet the motor will have stopped making noice within a year or so.

#869 5 months ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Got it! [quoted image][quoted image]

Took my son to see Skywalker last night but they did not have the R2 special

I wish there was a way to order one of those.

#870 5 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Any idea what franchise of theatre was doing that? AMC, Regal, movie tavern? They all do different specials on launches.

#871 5 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

You can check eBay but people are asking more than the $50 from AMC.

#872 5 months ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

You can check eBay but people are asking more than the $50 from AMC.

Yeah that’s always the case. Thanks for the idea. Thought of that but I’m not paying $100. I’ll see if I can find one. If anyone goes to a movie and wants to sell theirs or can get an extra one PM me. I’ll gladly pay for the $50 cost and shipping and you can keep the popcorn and soda lol.

#873 5 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Yeah that’s always the case. Thanks for the idea. Thought of that but I’m not paying $100. I’ll see if I can find one. If anyone goes to a movie and wants to sell theirs or can get an extra one PM me. I’ll gladly pay for the $50 cost and shipping and you can keep the popcorn and soda lol.

Pm sent

#874 5 months ago

Yoko2una, GamerRick, kermit24: can one of you please measure the diameter of the head at the place where it connects to the body?

#875 5 months ago

My topper arrived today. Works great with no problems out of the box. It looks, moves, and sounds like R2D2. I personally think it is much better quality than the popcorn container and the best Stern pinball topper I've seen. Not Rolex or Louis Vuitton quality but I'm happy with it.

IMG_0920 (resized).jpeg
#876 5 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

My topper arrived today. Works great with no problems out of the box. It looks, moves, and sounds like R2D2. I personally think it is much better quality than the popcorn container and the best Stern pinball topper I've seen. Not Rolex or Louis Vuitton quality but I'm happy with it.[quoted image]

Looks great! Can’t wait to get mine.

#877 5 months ago

Definitely looks good on the LE package. Amy more videos yet showing attract and gameplay?

#878 5 months ago

And, they're selling.

#879 5 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any idea what franchise of theatre was doing that? AMC, Regal, movie tavern? They all do different specials on launches.

It looks like it’s exclusive to AMC

#880 5 months ago

I don’t have any near my house so I ended up buying a new one on eBay for $79.99.

#881 5 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

My topper arrived today. Works great with no problems out of the box. It looks, moves, and sounds like R2D2. I personally think it is much better quality than the popcorn container and the best Stern pinball topper I've seen. Not Rolex or Louis Vuitton quality but I'm happy with it.[quoted image]

To be honest. That topper looks sweet with the LE translite.

#882 5 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

To be honest. That topper looks sweet with the LE translite.

I honestly think thing this thing will look sweet no matter the translite. Even comic! It really completes the game.

I have a Premium with LE tendencies.
453456A1-23A9-432D-A52F-81937F9961A5 (resized).jpeg

#883 5 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I honestly think thing this thing will look sweet no matter the translite. Even comic! It really completes the game.
I have a Premium with LE tendencies.
[quoted image]

How did you get that le armor?

#884 5 months ago
Quoted from konghusker:

How did you get that le armor?

there are ways.... there are ways

#885 5 months ago

So I’ve had my topper now for four days and it continues to grow on me. I’m surprised how much I like it.

#886 5 months ago

I can't wait for the first popcorn dispenser throwing popcorn on the glass. It will be epic!

#887 5 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

So I’ve had my topper now for four days and it continues to grow on me. I’m surprised how much I like it.

It has legs for sure. Just hanging in the basement R2 reminds me he is there.

#888 5 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

It has legs for sure. Just hanging in the basement R2 reminds me he is there.

Yes love the R2 attract sounds and movement. I just ignore that it’s made of decals instead of molded plastic or painted metal. It still looks pretty good and I love everything Star Wars especially the original trilogy. There is no doubt it really enhances this pin.

#889 5 months ago

I wish mine would ship already - ordered it 4 weeks ago

#890 5 months ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I'd consider cancelling If you can find one in stock elsewhere.

#891 5 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I'd consider cancelling If you can find one in stock elsewhere.

If someone has one in stock please PM me.

#892 5 months ago
Quoted from marksf123:

A friend of mine and I ordered the day it was announced, had them shipped together and they arrived yesterday. They were #16 and #72 so they may still be early in the run.

One thing I thought was interesting is that it makes a lot of R2D2 sounds now that weren't there before both during gameplay and in attract mode. It doesn't seem to have a speaker so having the topper attached apparently unlocks these sounds in the code.

#893 5 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

having the topper attached apparently unlocks these sounds in the code.

Correct.

#894 5 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

A friend of mine and I ordered the day it was announced, had them shipped together and they arrived yesterday. They were #16 and #72 so they may still be early in the run.
One thing I thought was interesting is that it makes a lot of R2D2 sounds now that weren't there before both during gameplay and in attract mode. It doesn't seem to have a speaker so having the topper attached apparently unlocks these sounds in the code.

Yes I really like the random R2 sounds now in my game room. It defaults to attract sounds and movement every 20 minutes. I set mine to 15. I like the main theme music too but if you leave that on in attract mode it just plays way too often and interrupts whatever I’m doing. So I have music attract off but I have attract clips and topper attract sounds and movement on and it’s awesome.

#895 5 months ago

I couldn’t stand the white T moulding on the backbox so I replaced mine with black leather. Looks cool.

#896 5 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I couldn’t stand the white T moulding on the backbox so I replaced mine with black leather. Looks cool.

Black leather sounds interesting, would love to see some pics.

#897 5 months ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Black leather sounds interesting, would love to see some pics.

It’s black leather texture molding, still plastic though. Looks great though. Here’s a pic close up and then just the overall look.

726D0EA4-B8B7-492F-A5DC-45165A863A4B (resized).jpeg36E96636-3704-4183-9BC7-092BE4164001 (resized).jpeg
#898 5 months ago

Here’s where I got it. Sorry didn’t mean to start an off topic convo in the topper thread everyone. I’ll post more about it in the SW club thread if anyone else had any questions about it.

https://www.t-molding.com

#899 5 months ago

I ordered my topper from William Sonoma.

1481ADE4-22B8-4775-9D63-A12C0FE21F83 (resized).jpeg
#900 5 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Yes I really like the random R2 sounds now in my game room. It defaults to attract sounds and movement every 20 minutes. I set mine to 15. I like the main theme music too but if you leave that on in attract mode it just plays way too often and interrupts whatever I’m doing. So I have music attract off but I have attract clips and topper attract sounds and movement on and it’s awesome.

Are you saying you can’t have the main attract music and the r2 attract set to an interval where they don’t interfere with one another?

Ideally I would like both active.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 34.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 218.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Encinitas, CA
There are 1159 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 24.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside