image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20200521_090609 (resized).jpg
Droid2 (resized).jpg
20200418_161305 (resized).jpg
SW-TOPb (resized).jpg

There are 1,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 26.
#801 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I think he looks pretty good. From the player position you would never notice the stuff we see on the zoomed in photos. Yeah I know we should get more....but it’s still a pretty awesome topper.
I still think a rubber gasket would be good for the base.

Rubber gasket or thin foam weatherstrip would even work.

#802 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I received #91 today. The metal base does not lie flat to the top of the pinball but it cannot be seen from the player position. I tried a game as R2-D2, it integrated nicely. No need to video that since it was already done. I did video turning it on the first time. Partly to provide a video of the proper sequence of events when the topper is first installed and the nodes are loaded. And also to film in case it did not go smoothly I would have video to show what happened. Luckily it installed properly.

Thanks for the video, some video during victory multi ball, hyper loops and other big moments would be cool

#803 2 years ago

i would really apreciate to see some pics of the technic behind, would someone be able to make some of the boards and the motor mechanic of R2 ?

#804 2 years ago

mbelofsky What does this thing look like from underneath before mounted?

Please someone post a photo of that.

#805 2 years ago

I’m guessing all the inquiries about this topper are reflected on paying the price .... lots of ppl not sure if it’s worth it . That says a lot .

#806 2 years ago

It's obvious that almost everyone here is thinking about a cost-based pricing model, when whining about what you get for your money and how boo-hoo-expensive it is. As a matter of fact, Stern is applying value based pricing. Apparently, the "value" of the product is not its features or build quality or material or any other tangibles. The value perceived by us customers is "having one" vs. "not having one" and Stern knows how to work that model very well. Simple as that.

Chances are you will see a REALLY low cost (not low price) topper coming up in the future, which everyone else will then buy.

#807 2 years ago

I’ll get more video and attempt to edit it down in the next few days. If you are in my area (Purcellville, VA), you are welcome to stop by and see it/play it in person. Call me to schedule time.

I feel like this topper completes the game. I’m happy with it. Would I like it to do more? Of course. But in the end it is just a topper.

I’ll work on (but not too hard) making it less noisy and less light bleed. But not really noticeable after you get used to it.

#808 2 years ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

i would really apreciate to see some pics of the technic behind, would someone be able to make some of the boards and the motor mechanic of R2 ?

The topper node boards are for sale. Seem to be around $90 each. Making node boards isn’t something that has been done however. Those would be necessary if you wanted to tie it to the same triggers in the code rather than a simple flasher, insert or two. I hope someone tries it. Not sure how many node boards this one requires.

#809 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Kind of short next to Deadpool and Star Trek toppers but it looks fine.

How tall is it? I have lower clearance where SW is now, but this might work by the looks of it.

#810 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I’ll work on (but not too hard) making it less noisy and less light bleed.

What does the topper look like from underneath?
Can the bottom plate be removed easily to access the inside?
How is that bottom plate attached?
What material is the bottom plate made of?
Is the bottom plate painted or powder coated?
Can you please post a photo of the inside in case you happen to remove the bottom plate?
What is your guess how the serial plaque is attached?
Does the serial plaque look removable?
Is the base/case painted or powder coated?
How is the topper attached to the backbox?

#811 2 years ago

I’m wondering if it’s the motor that is making the noise or if this spins sort of like the disc on potc where there are plastic teeth/gear that are making the noise.

If it’s a plastic on plastic gear noise that can be reduced with a light coating of lithium grease.

On potc there was also a mod made replacing the plastic gear with a rubberized version.

Will be interesting to see the guts under the dome of r2.

#812 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Rubber gasket or thin foam weatherstrip would even work.

Even if you put a rubber gasket underneath, that would stop light leak but not sound. There are big holes in the top of the base so sound would come out there.

#813 2 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Even if you put a rubber gasket underneath, that would stop light leak but not wound. There are big holes in the top of the base so sound would come out there.

You referring to the holes that leds are mounted in or some other holes?

Maybe someone can post some pics of where the light leak is coming from other than around base bottom.

#814 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

You referring to the holes that leds are mounted in or some other holes?
Maybe someone can post some pics of where the light leak is coming from other than around base bottom.

I think he is just saying the gasket will solve the light leak but not the motor noise.

#815 2 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Even if you put a rubber gasket underneath, that would stop light leak but not wound. There are big holes in the top of the base so sound would come out there.

Looking at the pictures it seems to me that all of the "light leak" around R2D2 is intended. There are several led lamps inside the base that are pointed to shine out those big holes and around the perimeter of the droid.

#816 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I think he is just saying the gasket will solve the light leak but not the motor noise.

I see, misunderstood.

#817 2 years ago
Quoted from Nickbtx:

There are several led lamps inside the base that are pointed to shine out those big holes and around the perimeter of the droid.

The leak concerns the leak out the bottom, between the base and the base plate.

#818 2 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

The leak concerns the leak out the bottom, between the base and the base plate.

Sorry, I thought the light leak around the base was something new. I must have misread a couple of posts. Thanks

#819 2 years ago

R2D2 #58 reporting for duty. Since I wanted to address the light leaking between the black baseplate and the grey shroud, I installed some weather stripping just behind where the grey shroud rests, to try to block the light bleed. Worked pretty well. I included a photo of the weather stripping installed before I reassembled it.
Also included photos of the node board and the other board. There are two boards in this. I am sure the motor is under R2, but I didn't want to mess with that. Topper works great. Lots of additional sounds throughout the game.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36a4 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36a6 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36b2 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36b5 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36b6 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36b8 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36bd (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36be (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36c3 (resized).jpg

#820 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Also included photos of the node board and the other board.

Thank you

#821 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

R2D2 #58 reporting for duty. Since I wanted to address the light leaking between the black baseplate and the grey shroud, I installed some weather stripping just behind where the grey shroud rests, to try to block the light bleed. Worked pretty well. I included a photo of the weather stripping installed before I reassembled it.
Also included photos of the node board and the other board. There are two boards in this. I am sure the motor is under R2, but I didn't want to mess with that. Topper works great. Lots of additional sounds throughout the game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good! Thanks for posting that.

So to be clear...your hearing additional sounds after installing topper that weren’t previously there?
I guess installing the topper and turning it on must unpack some additional coding or enables additional sound bytes it to be active. This might be a first.

#822 2 years ago

Forgot...since you took it apart any thoughts on the noise?

Can it be dampened some how or is it really not an issue?

If you can can you try to capture what it does in attract mode since there is a separate setting for that?

#823 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Looks good! Thanks for posting that.
So to be clear...your hearing additional sounds after installing topper that weren’t previously there?
I guess installing the topper and turning it on must unpack some additional coding or enables additional sound bytes it to be active. This might be a first.

Yes additional sounds. R2 beeps and the R2 movement type sounds.

#824 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Forgot...since you took it apart any thoughts on the noise?
Can it be dampened some how or is it really not an issue?
If you can can you try to capture what it does in attract mode since there is a separate setting for that?

I don't think the noise is an issue. You certainly notice it, but it goes with the game, and I am sure you get used to it. I would expect to notice some noise if I had a droid on top on my pinball machine! The motor is under the R2 head, so I don't see a realistic way reduce the noise without doing something with the motor, which I am not about to do!

I usually have the volume of my games at a decent level, so I guess if you had the volume super low, it would be more out of place. But why do that? Pinball machines are loud.

#825 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I don't think the noise is an issue. You certainly notice it, but it goes with the game, and I am sure you get used to it. I would expect to notice some noise if I had a droid on top on my pinball machine! The motor is under the R2 head, so I don't see a realistic way reduce the noise without doing something with the motor, which I am not about to do!
I usually have the volume of my games at a decent level, so I guess if you had the volume super low, it would be more out of place. But why do that? Pinball machines are loud.

I agree

#826 2 years ago

That thing looks awesome can't wait to get mine.

#827 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

looks like a easy & good solution. it's just a shame that people that are shelling out $750+ for this have to take matters into their own hands to fix what shouldn't have been an issue in the first place

#828 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

looks like a easy & good solution. it's just a shame that people that are shelling out $750+ for this have to take matters into their own hands to fix what shouldn't have been an issue in the first place

I agree totally. Luckily its a pretty easy fix.

#829 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I agree with your point of view and unfortunately this seems to be a really common theme in this hobby from mods all the way to subpar quality of build on machines.

At least it’s a easy remedy!

#830 2 years ago

Oh and thx kermit24! Your photos put me over the edge and took the plunge today!

#831 2 years ago

Somebody needs to take this thing apart already so it can be duplicated!

#832 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

It's a great concept for a topper, yes, but the looks are proving to be questionable at best. Like look at this from the above pics. WTF, Stern. Can we at least try a bit for $750?

Suck less, Stern! (resized).jpg

#833 2 years ago

A variety of R2's features are completely hidden by the factory metal surround. Perhaps a different surround for R2 would show him off a bit better.

#834 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Thanks for these photos... I was curious to see what was under the hood... Still patiently waiting for my email notice from GAP when it ships....

Would be cool is someone (if possible) to modify this topper to add the holographic projector that R2 uses throughout all the SW movies... Would be EXTRA special it can be triggered at certain events within the game... but that is a complete Reverse Engineer process that does not sound legal.... The projector is such a staple tool/feature for R2 that is a shame Stern did not support this.

From an engineering perspective, would that node board be able to support a Holographic projector unit? Where would the cable run from the Node board to the projector?

It would be cool if STERN would have a Monthly video forum/segment on design decisions for their products. What better way to keep customers by provide inside design round table to the public (without spilling their secrets they hold dear of course). Free advertisement there as well.

#835 2 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

It would be cool if STERN would have a Monthly video forum/segment on design decisions for their products.

Ha, and have to defend themselves from cost-cutting, quality, and design questioning? Instead once a month you get to know that some people you don't know reached some B.S. made up ranks in some B.S. made up "army".

#836 2 years ago

I'm probably going to regret this...

R2D2 (resized).JPG
#837 2 years ago

many thanks for the detailed pictures !! Maybe someone can show some under R2....?

#838 2 years ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

many thanks for the detailed pictures !! Maybe someone can show some under R2....?

The bottom is a flat plate with holes drilled for the back box screw locations

#839 2 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

The bottom is a flat plate with holes drilled for the back box screw locations

Right it’s not easy. You would need to remove the gray shroud, then completely dissemble the R2D2 head which isn’t an obvious process. You do it.

#840 2 years ago

#55 arrived today with a nice little scuff mark and some crooked decals. After installing the topper on my game and then powering it up, R2 will not move. It lights up and that’s about it, so much for Stern’s quality control!

When I was at Disney World last month, Galaxy’s Edge had a “Droid Depot” where you build your own droid for $199 (+tax). It even comes with a remote which allows you to steer it around, have it make noises, light up, and spin its head around. There are no cheap misaligned decals, no scuff marks on any of the pieces, and overall made with better quality materials. All for about 1/3 the price of Stern’s topper!

Another thing that got to me, why would the plaque be displayed backwards?! Who are we showing off the plaque to, the wall? So much for a limited edition topper, you wouldn’t even know!

615AA03D-7425-4B14-9A8E-2644F392C458 (resized).jpegF1102E1A-508E-45D4-809D-B4D9B90D4BB1 (resized).jpeg783E37E1-F2AF-4A29-A458-4AFDA8F88E70 (resized).jpegF1FF7414-373B-494A-9DF5-C7A5621D7783 (resized).jpegDE06DE44-D7B7-4B4E-A777-AA9E34B6D692 (resized).jpeg8A9B6E22-368D-498E-95F9-4EF2EACBA45A (resized).jpegC5F7B10D-55D6-4E4B-991C-AC25ED619694 (resized).jpeg
#841 2 years ago
Quoted from That370Z:

#55 arrived today with a nice little scuff mark and some crooked decals. After installing the topper on my game and then powering it up, R2 will not move. It lights up and that’s about it, so much for Stern’s quality control!
When I was at Disney World last month, Galaxy’s Edge had a “Droid Depot” where you build your own droid for $199 (+tax). It even comes with a remote which allows you to steer it around, have it make noises, light up, and spin its head around. There are no cheap misaligned decals, no scuff marks on any of the pieces, and overall made with better quality materials. All for about 1/3 the price of Stern’s topper!
Another thing that got to me, why would the plaque be displayed backwards?! Who are we showing off the plaque to, the wall? So much for a limited edition topper, you wouldn’t even know![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That’s garbage. So sorry. Return the damn thing and just get money back.

#842 2 years ago
Quoted from That370Z:

Another thing that got to me, why would the plaque be displayed backwards?! Who are we showing off the plaque to, the wall? So much for a limited edition topper, you wouldn’t even know![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’ve been wondering about the LE plaque as well.

I’m going to go on a limb that it was an afterthought and was stuck on after the design of base was made. It looks like there may not be a area flat enough or big to put on front, other than the vent area.

Think it can be moved elsewhere?

What is the vent for? Cooling of motor or lighting?

#843 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Hopefully yours works. Hopefully not scratched. Hopefully the decals line up.

#844 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’ve been wondering about the LE plaque as well.
I’m going to go on a limb that it was an afterthought and was stuck on after the design of base was made. It looks like there may not be a area flat enough or big to put on front, other than the vent area.
Think it can be moved elsewhere?
What is the vent for? Cooling of motor or lighting?

It was definitely an after thought. I think Stern’s way of justifying the price tag was by making it “limited edition” and throwing in the plaque. Sure the license may have been a bit more expensive but the price should not have been this high for something so cheap.

Star Wars is a very collectible franchise so this topper’s quality should be no different than a figurine or any other collectible item you would buy from somewhere else.

Instead of going nowhere with Stern, everyone upset with the crappy quality of this “limited edition” topper should call in to Disney. They certainly wouldn’t want to hear about how a company they gave their license to is producing subpar quality products.

#845 2 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

From an engineering perspective, would that node board be able to support a Holographic projector unit? Where would the cable run from the Node board to the projector?

You know, that's interesting; That node board could have been a platform for more than what is provided.

When looking at last years R2 topper from the Stern factory; I cannot see a years worth of change to what we have today. It looks the same. The game code, 1.05, is over a year old too.

#846 2 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

You know, that's interesting; That node board could have been a platform for more than what is provided.
When looking at last years R2 topper from the Stern factory; I cannot see a years worth of change to what we have today. It looks the same. The game code, 1.05, is over a year old too.

There was absolutely a projector planned, it was in the settings menu to enable it. There is also the famous line from Leia in the game to Obi and it really doesn’t have anything to do with what is happening in the game.
Just random and makes me wonder if that would be when the image was to be projected?

#847 2 years ago

Day two with this headache, trying to diagnose if the motor issue was an easy fix. I believe it’s a bad node/driver board that is causing the problem, a new topper is on the way from our distributor.

But here are some pictures of it apart. THE VENTS ARE USELESS, there is a plate inside which blocks the view of R2’s body and gives it the dark look. So the plaque could have gone here and wouldn’t have blocked anything..I’m not sure why it didn’t.

CD961B09-D4B5-4E63-BA3D-EED9378D0E84 (resized).jpeg4344ACA7-C530-4076-9424-10BFDAE290E6 (resized).jpeg5E166205-DC56-4F70-B2E7-38E237872155 (resized).jpegAF788931-23CD-4D39-A810-C359B7382D51 (resized).jpeg9C7B68B9-A75A-4677-9139-8E0E0788925E (resized).jpeg6A0E7819-38EA-4B6A-A360-62B23ECE4420 (resized).jpegFD9A49E3-DC18-48FE-89B5-C6F445434AE7 (resized).jpeg65DC296E-7F93-421D-B880-8E8D0850E168 (resized).jpeg
#848 2 years ago

We are at the AMC theatre for the movie. My wife bought me this. $50 for R2, large popcorn and large soda.

I could have saved $700...

BDEC107F-9323-4002-930C-C60631FBAF93 (resized).jpeg
#849 2 years ago

that theatre R2 looks awesome!

#850 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

We are at the AMC theatre for the movie. My wife bought me this. $50 for R2, large popcorn and large soda.
I could have saved $700...[quoted image]

By me one too...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
6,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending! Machine - For Sale
Albany, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
$ 4,400.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
There are 1,268 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!