20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg
DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 1,279 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 26.
#701 4 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

I'm curious if your topper positions flush to the cabinet. Anxious to see inside too.
I can't say the topper assists with game-play, but would be interesting to see a laser pointer spotting an easter-egg shot. Feels like a nuisance more than a helper, however great fun for the on-lookers. Here's a gameplay vid with the topper;

Thanks for taking the time to post.

#702 4 years ago

Yep...thx for the video, many of us were anxious to see it!

#703 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing the video. Man. I don't know how I feel about it. I want to love it, because its R2, and I'm just glad it's finally out... but at the same time it also feels, well... disappointing. Same way I felt after watching The Last Jedi.

#704 4 years ago

I'm curious if your topper positions flush to the cabinet. Anxious to see inside too.
I can't say the topper assists with game-play, but would be interesting to see a laser pointer spotting an easter-egg shot. Feels like a nuisance more than a helper, however great fun for the on-lookers. Here's a gameplay vid with the topper;

Thats the uggliest thing i ever seen.
Maybe you can cover it with a big black plastic bag, to atleast avoid the Light bleed.?

#705 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Thats the uggliest thing i ever seen.
Maybe you can cover it with a big black plastic bag, to atleast avoid the Light bleed.?

BUT ... the plastic bag must be worth at least 300 bucks ... numbered of course

#706 4 years ago

Lmao off at this topper.

#707 4 years ago

Thanks for posting the video.It's been a long road and a flop as far as what 750 gets you.I always like reaching for Hope just like the rebel force trying to beat the Alliance so maybe, Just maybe, stern will, or can add code to make is that something special we were looking for.Its is our last and only hope.Unfortunately for me I am out.:{:{:{:{

#708 4 years ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

Thanks for posting the video.It's been a long road and a flop as far as what 750 gets you.I always like reaching for Hope just like the rebel force trying to beat the Alliance so maybe, Just maybe, stern will, or can add code to make is that something special we were looking for.Its is our last and only hope.Unfortunately for me I am out.:{:{:{:{

Code won't help this thing unless there's hidden projectors or mechs inside the thing that aren't activated yet, but I'm confident there's nothing special inside it. Unfortunately I think the long wait didn't pay off on this. If this thing was about half the price, then it would be a maybe. Would I still want one as is? Probably. Would I buy it at 750? Probably not.

#709 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Code won't help this thing unless there's hidden projectors or mechs inside the thing that aren't activated yet, but I'm confident there's nothing special inside it. Unfortunately I think the long wait didn't pay off on this. If this thing was about half the price, then it would be a maybe. Would I still want one as is? Probably. Would I buy it at 750? Probably not.

Only one way to know what’s inside and that is to pop the damn dome off!

Being that there was at one point a projector setting in the code, anyone who has pinball browser want to see if there is anything coded projector or hologram? I’m guessing it would be under images or video.

#710 4 years ago

shit, i'd rather buy a decent EM or project SS for the price of this. I would never even see it anyways, as my eyes are always on the PF.

#711 4 years ago

Well since a game play vid was posted, I won’t add another one. I will show what happened when I received mine.

#712 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Only one way to know what’s inside and that is to pop the damn dome off!
Being that there was at one point a projector setting in the code, anyone who has pinball browser want to see if there is anything coded projector or hologram? I’m guessing it would be under images or video.

You're exactly right. However, if it actually did anything special, wouldn't stern have made sure to list these special abilities in the description of this thing? You're right though, pop it open and look inside. Bet it's a couple gears and a node board is all we'd find unfortunately. Would have loved to hear what the projection settings were originally intended on being.

#713 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

You're exactly right. However, if it actually did anything special, wouldn't stern have made sure to list these special abilities in the description of this thing? You're right though, pop it open and look inside. Bet it's a couple gears and a node board is all we'd find unfortunately. Would have loved to hear what the projection settings were originally intended on being.

Sterns description is just a blanket statement of fully integrated which can mean anything.

It would just be interesting to see what is actually in the code on pinball browser.

I did this a while back for either ACDC or Rolling Stones to have a look at some music and sure enough there were tracks that were obviously paid for by Stern to use but were never implemented in the game.

I’m guessing if there was an image or hologram it would be there and would be obvious since none of us have seen it elsewhere in game play.

#714 4 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

Well since a game play vid was posted, I won’t add another one. I will show what happened when I received mine.

Much talk about what it can Do.
According to the noice, it can probably smoke, if you leave it on for a couple of minutes.

Quality stuff for sure. I bet you the parts goes for around 10$ in your not so local chinese radioschack.

#715 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Much talk about what it can Do.
According to the noice, it can probably smoke, if you leave it on for a couple of minutes.
Quality stuff for sure. I bet you the parts goes for around 10$ in your not so local chinese radioschack.

Actually it was pretty sturdy, probably one of the most sturdy toppers I’ve had. (Have about 5). I fixed it by turning it past the stop to the right. It worked perfectly afterwords. I can only assume it was turned when packed.

#716 4 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

Is it just me or is there a wobble in your R2D2? Wobble is probably the wrong word, as it’s turning it looks like it’s not level as it turns, could just be my eyes.

#717 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Is it just me or is there a wobble in your R2D2? Wobble is probably the wrong word, as it’s turning it looks like it’s not level as it turns, could just be my eyes.

I was asking this over the weekend when someone posted some pics.

Are you referring to just the head or the whole body? The way the body and legs go into the base it seems like maybe it would wobble or have ability to do so whether mechanically or when nudging machine.

On another note, the base definitely needs something to spruce it up!

#718 4 years ago

I like it and look forward to getting one. It'll be easier for Star Wars fans to buy this than just someone who likes pinball. I'm guessing there are quite a few people here who have both a Star Wars Premium/LE and Pro machine. To me $750 is just the cost of doing business for something you enjoy.

Remember, there are people paying more than $750 for a single Star Wars figure

#719 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I was asking this over the weekend when someone posted some pics.
Are you referring to just the head or the whole body? The way the body and legs go into the base it seems like maybe it would wobble or have ability to do so whether mechanically or when nudging machine.

Referring to the head it doesn’t seem be spinning on a level pivot seems slightly off.

#720 4 years ago

It would have been better to just have the whole R2D2 up there. It could wobble side to side, head spin, stuff coming in and out, lights and sounds. They have them as toys...and they're not $750!

#721 4 years ago

Great for $175!! Does a lot!!

#722 4 years ago

It's been discussed before. Toppers can only be a certain height otherwise they won't fit in a lot of people's rooms unless they have really high ceiling. Doing it this way allows for a rather large r2d2 head without using up too much ceiling space

#723 4 years ago

I remember this R2D2 projector back in 2008 that projected DVDs and had a Millennium Falcon remote! I want to say the list price was something like $4K, but it was cool!

r2d2 (resized).jpgr2d2 (resized).jpgr2d2-1 (resized).jpgr2d2-1 (resized).jpg
#724 4 years ago

For the price of these things you would think they would at least eliminate the light bleed

Same with the Maiden toppers.

#725 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Great for $175!! Does a lot!!

Awesome. 750 for a crappy topper or this. Gee whiz.

#726 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I already made arrangements to have mine airbrushed with the same weathered look like the death star and millennium falcon, once it arrives. Can't wait!!

#727 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

I already made arrangements to have mine airbrushed with the same weathered look like the death star and millennium falcon, once it arrives. Can't wait!!

Sweet, post pics please!

#728 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Sweet, post pics please!

I will, but it is going to be a while. My distributor here in Germany only has his own order confirmation at this point. I don't expect to have the your topper before February. Then a careful disassemble to isolate the base and send it for airbrush. Realisticly were looking at March for those photos

#729 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

In your opinion, and I know you bought it, is it worth $775?

No, not worth $775. I thought about this last week and the following summarized my assessment for pinball machine toppers;
- I pre-ordered the Star Wars topper when ordering the machine. It has been a long wait and the price was crazy. It looks like I'll need to pay a little more. I feel no entitlement to the availability of topper. However, some obsessive mechanism drives me to make that purchase. When I sit and think about it; It really seems pointless.
- From a manufacturing perspective; The quantity of toppers sales versus machine sales may have similarities to the quantity of LE machines produced. I suppose the position of the manufacturer is not to create toppers for their customers, but to source revenue from their biggest supporters. If a topper never was and for whatever price when it does, has no relevance for the masses.

The topper is nice and I'm thankful to have it. I still feel the door could be open for another variant in the future. Perhaps something learned from the Black Knight topper will bring about a Vader topper? Who knows.

Quoted from Tseamans:

I see the wobble on your topper too. Looks like the skirt-edge of the heads are not perfectly planed to its rotation.

#730 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I remember this R2D2 projector back in 2008 that projected DVDs and had a Millennium Falcon remote! I want to say the list price was something like $4K, but it was cool![quoted image][quoted image]

Neat. I wonder what scale they produced it.

I didn't recall R2's projector emitting from the large lens.
Had to pop on the first film to check; R2's projector was from the pivoting lens right of the red light.

#731 4 years ago

Neat. I wonder what scale they produced it.
I didn't recall R2's projector emitting from the large lens.
Had to pop on the first film to check; R2's projector was from the pivoting lens right of the red light.

I believe it was 1:2 scale.

#732 4 years ago

Have not installed yet, came scratched in the box...

17C4C126-CF9E-4E7B-9EA8-52FDDD9C128E (resized).jpeg17C4C126-CF9E-4E7B-9EA8-52FDDD9C128E (resized).jpeg73D3BBDD-9235-4C06-949E-0E325CEF231E (resized).jpeg73D3BBDD-9235-4C06-949E-0E325CEF231E (resized).jpegBC5F5F4D-3DA0-448D-A9FC-B8BCB0EA84D2 (resized).jpegBC5F5F4D-3DA0-448D-A9FC-B8BCB0EA84D2 (resized).jpegEE9293D7-D3BA-43D2-87BD-3CB2B04231F2 (resized).jpegEE9293D7-D3BA-43D2-87BD-3CB2B04231F2 (resized).jpegE0C7CE9B-57D2-44CC-98CB-6C15B9833ADE (resized).jpegE0C7CE9B-57D2-44CC-98CB-6C15B9833ADE (resized).jpegE13FAE46-CCF4-4824-A8DE-F414646B2F5F (resized).jpegE13FAE46-CCF4-4824-A8DE-F414646B2F5F (resized).jpeg
#733 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

Have not installed yet, came scratched in the box...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's a pity, do you think it can be fixed with a silver color pen or something maybe?

#734 4 years ago

Is the plaque really on the back? Seems odd???

#735 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

That's a pity, do you think it can be fixed with a silver color pen or something maybe?

The paint is not bonded to the plastic well at all. I get the feeling that if I touch it I’ll end up taking more off.

I plugged it in and the motor seems okay. This would be an amazing $350 topper....
DADCC514-C773-431D-A4DA-D8437AEFBA3F (resized).jpegDADCC514-C773-431D-A4DA-D8437AEFBA3F (resized).jpeg

#736 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

The paint is not bonded to the plastic well at all. I get the feeling that if I touch it I’ll end up taking more off.
I plugged it in the the motors seem okay. This would be an amazing $350 topper....[quoted image]

Hmm if you can match the color maybe sand it and take a rattle can to it...

To be fair, I doubt anybody will see it while playing... So likely you'll do more damage if you try to fix it like you said.

#737 4 years ago

Looks like it has seen some carbon scoring.

#738 4 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Is the plaque really on the back? Seems odd???

It’s odd alright.

That plaque is worth a solid $500 of the price! It should be worth all those virtual internet pinball bragging points and it’s hidden.

Isn’t there a saying about fools and their money? Seems really relevant right about now.

#739 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

To be fair, I doubt anybody will see it while playing... So likely you'll do more damage if you try to fix it like you said.

To be fair... this is BS. Its $750. I drank the Koolaid like most others, but damn... this sobers you up quick.

#740 4 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

To be fair... this is BS. Its $750. I drank the Koolaid like most others, but damn... this sobers you up quick.

I understand, I'm a sucker for stuff like that too. It is like a ding in your brand new car once you roll off the lot. I wouldn't be happy either. Just trying to cheer the poor man up - it does look cool!

#741 4 years ago

For the few owners so far, what’s the consensus on the base?

Look ok or does it need something?

#742 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

For the few owners so far, what’s the consensus on the base?
Look ok or does it need something?

it's just okay.
It needs a better paint job or maybe the front cut outs should have something other than just the inset metal.

#743 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

it's just okay.
It needs a better paint job or maybe the front cut outs should have something other than just the inset metal.

It’s too plain being a visible transition from the head of machine to R2. Just my opinion....

If it’s intended to be the body of the x-wing it needs some decals or markings. Custom weathering is probably a bit unrealistic for most of us.

#744 4 years ago

What's the guess are all 500 a instant sell out, or are we going to see these on market until next xmas.
I'm thinking people will snag them up and hope the value goes up and a year from now people will be trying to sell them for what they paid.Its a cool looking topper but not one person has said this topper is worth 750. But dang why does it have to be R2D2, he or it (what do you call a robot ? ) the best thing about Star wars. This link proves it.

#745 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

In your opinion, and I know you bought it, is it worth $775?

FD13CEF3-977F-4594-9E18-7B6F0811371B.gifFD13CEF3-977F-4594-9E18-7B6F0811371B.gif
#746 4 years ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

What's the guess are all 500 a instant sell out, or are we going to see these on market until next xmas.
I'm thinking people will snag them up and hope the value goes up and a year from now people will be trying to sell them for what they paid.Its a cool looking topper but not one person has said this topper is worth 750. But dang why does it have to be R2D2, he or it (what do you call a robot ? ) the best thing about Star wars. This link proves it.

That’s a great video!

#747 4 years ago

Anyone know if we are hearing all the programmed R2 sounds even without the topper or does the addition of the topper somehow include additional r2 dialogue from the code since the game knows it’s plugged in?

Is the r2 screaming sound in there?

#748 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone know if we are hearing all the programmed R2 sounds even without the topper or does the addition of the topper somehow include additional r2 dialogue from the code since the game knows it’s plugged in?
Is the r2 screaming sound in there?

The topper for sure adds sounds. You can hear them in the video. It’s easy to tell the difference if you have played a ton of games on 1.05 code.

#749 4 years ago

Does the metal base send easy to disassemble for painting?
Could we please get photos from underneath to see how the inside looks?

#750 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

I plugged it in and the motor seems okay. This would be an amazing $350 topper....
[quoted image]

But instead they got ya for 750 plus shipping.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bryn Athyn, PA
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 21.50
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,279 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.