20200612_174118 (resized).jpg
15910373905541128602558592782815 (resized).jpg
DAE869FA-3D82-4247-A14E-6CECBC21F642 (resized).jpeg
6F2522DD-A9DF-494E-AD8B-1E1C93D90B0F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 1,279 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 26.
#601 4 years ago

I know it will never happen, but how about no one buys one? I’m not judging anyone and people are free to do what they want, but it would be nice to give Stern some pause for thought in order to protect our interests (and pocket book). With everything “limited” selling out, there just isn’t any incentive for Stern to do anything else. This one feels like a price gouge more so than others. It costs about 12.5% of the cost of a new Stern Pro...

#602 4 years ago

Do distros need to buy these from Stern to have in their stock or do they just drop ship from Stern?

#603 4 years ago

As a distributor you can not drop ship from Stern.

#604 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I try to put toppers on all of my pins. Hundreds of dollars spent on silly light up decorations on top of an expensive toy. It's probably not the best thing to spend money on. But...spending 8, 9, 10k+ on a toy is probably not much better.
IMO toppers are ALL overpriced for what you actually get, but I still buy them. Because I like them. They look great up there!
GOTG only lights up (400). TWD too (400). DP at least has a spinning thumb (400). BM66 projector is really cool (250 I think). Although the BM66 Villians topper only lights up and costs 600! (I didn't buy this one).
So... even though I feel that the new SW one looks like the base is unfinished, AND I feel that having LE badges on toppers is a really silly idea, I DO think that a moving, light up, beeping R2D2 looks really cool up there. If I still had my SW I'm sure I would want this topper. It's only 150 more that the Villians topper. At least it moves!
We (the pinheads) need to remember that we spend LOTS of money on toys. LOTS! We shouldn't judge guys because they spend more money on lights or mods or decorations. And we definitely shouldn't judge guys for their decision to spend their money on toys VS their homes (or anything else).
Nick

This hobby cracks me up. Just imagine trying to explain to an outsider how a $750 decoration on a $10000 box of lights is a rip off but $500 is okay. At some point, LE toppers will be $1000+ and guys will long for the day when they were only $750.

#605 4 years ago

Reminds me of the Dalek topper for Dr Who.

#606 4 years ago

Man there's a lot of miserable bastards in this hobby!

Seen it? Review it.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Say you think it sucks.

Telling people they are morons for paying what amounts to a very small amount in an expensive, luxury hobby...pointless and absolutely ridiculous and impotent calls for boycotts that reek of idiocy and lack of self-awareness (OK Rosa Parks, let's see what cheesy and overpriced garbage YOU'VE bought to feed your pinball lust)...outright anger for things you can't control and that you shouldn't really care about...

Makes you look petty and jealous and reflects poorly on all of us, frankly.

#607 4 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

I only asked because everyone here is saying boycott the product to send a msg to Stern about pricing but if the distros are forking the cash out up front they should be bitching about the price too.

#608 4 years ago

Honestly, I don't mind the look of it. It's unique, it moves and makes noises which is cool. I only have an issue with this "LE" tactic Stern is using and the absurd price associated with that. I would buy this immediately at the regular inflated topper pricing. At this price it would be a buy only if R2 was replaced with a sculpt of Gary's head with a removable Vader helmet.

#609 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

At this price it would be a buy only if R2 was replaced with a sculpt of Gary's head with a removable Vader helmet.

I think he'd make a better Emperor

#610 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I only asked because everyone here is saying boycott the product to send a msg to Stern about pricing but if the distros are forking the cash out up front they should be bitching about the price too.

They're not bitching about price because people are buying it.

#611 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think he'd make a better Emperor

I stand corrected. Perhaps an SLE version of the topper is in order.

#612 4 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

This is true for accessories but not machines.

#613 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Thanks for the video. So those sounds are coming from the speaker in the topper?

Hmmm. I don't believe there's a speaker in the topper. My ears tell me every sound is sourced from the pin-speakers, however, the servo motor is quite loud in a quiet room.

#614 4 years ago

Does anyone else find it strange that Stern has done zero marketing on this thing? It was in the Stern of the Union on Tuesday but more of an afterthought, saying it was now available from select distributors and it would be in the Stern Shop (website) soon. That’s it. No photos. No video. Nothing.

The Munsters topper was an insider sneak peak and they just posted photos of the Elviria topper for insiders.

#615 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Lol so the only confirmed sale is one that was broken out of the box??? That sucks for you but it’s so Stern right now it hurts.

thats the reason i wouldnt buy these to horde and resell. what do you do when you resell it and its broken?

#616 4 years ago

i dont like the look with the new comic art. looks like an extension of darth vaders head. for some reason i cant unsee that.

#617 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Does anyone else find it strange that Stern has done zero marketing on this thing?

Does anyone else think that some people, possibly even you, have been micro managing this thing the whole time and maybe looking too deep into it?

I miss these days

Quoted from kermit24:

Two years in the making this will go down as the best topper of ALL TIME!

#618 4 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Does R2 do anything interactive with the actual gameplay?

It certainly does, but I haven't keyed-in its patterns to describe when it does. There's a flurry of activity when hitting Mystery. I suspect more activity when playing R2 versus Han, Leia or Luke, but require more playtime to be sure. It's fun.

I wonder if the delay was related to how the lights display R2 in 'just the right way'. Perhaps delayed for timing of the new movie release.

#619 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Does anyone else think that some people, possibly even you, have been micro managing this thing the whole time and maybe looking too deep into it?
I miss these days

Of course. I have been waiting for 2.5 years for this topper. Doesn’t mean you need to be a jerk about it.

#620 4 years ago

With all this forbidden anxiety about this topper it’s actually swaying me to want one now... lol. Definitely a spendy purchase but I admit price aside it does look nice and love the effect.

#621 4 years ago

I want the topper and ordered one, simply because I want my LE to be complete with everything. I can't wait to get it and 250 up or down I don't care. If they make a mainstream topper after, which costs half, I also won't mind, but will be happy that those who didn't want to spend the 750 will also be able to get one. For me it's exactly that simple.

#622 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

I want the topper and ordered one, simply because I want my LE to be complete with everything. I can't wait to get it and 250 up or down I don't care. If they make a mainstream topper after, which costs half, I also won't mind, but will be happy that those who didn't want to spend the 750 will also be able to get one. For me it's exactly that simple.

Same here - I ordered one. I like how it looks and look forward to have it on my LE too.

#623 4 years ago

Anyone actually have any in stock yet?

#624 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

We don’t have any in stock yet, but a couple spots left from our initial order

Zach
Flip N Out Pinball
[email protected]

#625 4 years ago

Stern is so smart to trickle these out to get buyers on the fence to panic and buy them.

#626 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I have only seen GAP advertise they had them in stock, but pretty sure the few they had are sold. My distributor has them on order and he is saying they are in production now. Not sure if any other distributors have inventory yet.

#627 4 years ago

My distributor in Germany has a confirmation of his order from Stern, but no delivery date yet.

#628 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I have only seen GAP advertise they had them in stock, but pretty sure the few they had are sold. My distributor has them on order and he is saying they are in production now. Not sure if any other distributors have inventory yet.

I hate to say it as a SW nut the damn R2 topper is growing on me and I’m disappointed in myself!

#629 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I ordered mine from the dealer that sold me the pin, but they indicated it might be a bit before it shipped, i.e. January. They did throw in free shipping, which was appreciated.

#630 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I hate to say it as a SW nut the damn R2 topper is growing on me and I’m disappointed in myself!

Yeah it sucks. I have been in on this for so long, its hard to walk away at this point over $250. Seeing other newer animated (BKSOR) toppers sub $500 make me think this was more of an anomaly than a trend.

#631 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yeah it sucks. I have been in on this for so long, its hard to walk away at this point over $250. Seeing other newer animated (BKSOR) toppers sub $500 make me think this was more of an anomaly than a trend.

It is what it is, SW is a keeper for me.

I’m not sure if this will be an anomaly or not I sure hope it is but don’t forget BKSOR is $429 and there is zero licensing costs associated with it.

#632 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It is what it is, SW is a keeper for me.
I’m not sure if this will be an anomaly or not I sure hope it is but don’t forget BKSOR is $429 and there is zero licensing costs associated with it.

Munsters was also about the same price.

#633 4 years ago

i may never own a topper as don't like them at all. I had considered this one and will also pass. this shit is almost as much as my monthly mortgage payment. laughing at stern right now as they have lost another sale based on overpricing.

#634 4 years ago

Prices are gonna go up, up, up and beyond thanks to those that pay these prices. 500 was too much. Maybe 100.

#635 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Prices are gonna go up, up, up and beyond thanks to those that pay these prices. 500 was too much. Maybe 100.

Please list everything pinball-related you've bought in the past five years so we can see if you are partly responsible for increasing prices in pinball.

And if you are an EM guy who never buys overpriced modern crap, please explain why you care what these lunatics are paying for toppers.

Thanks!
blake

#636 4 years ago

I know a guy who has ordered 3 SW toppers. I’m holding him solely responsible for Stern raping the community with these cRaZy prices.

#637 4 years ago
Quoted from ChippyWonka:

I know a guy who has ordered 3 SW toppers. I’m holding him solely responsible for Stern raping the community with these cRaZy prices.

NAME NAMES!!!!

#638 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Please list everything pinball-related you've bought in the past five years so we can see if you are partly responsible for increasing prices in pinball.

He's a goddamn Premium + buyer, that's enough for me.
Get him up against the wall!

#639 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And if you are an EM guy who never buys overpriced modern crap, please explain why you care what these lunatics are paying for toppers.
Thanks!
blake

Look at my collection. I have spent money on pins. But examine the value of this decoration. The next topper will be 750. Because it sells. Crazy.

#640 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

The next topper will be 750. Because it sells. Crazy.

It's like they are charging what people are payng for it...Crazy insane, insane, crazy?

#641 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I wonder if this can be modded for such a thing?
Also, will be interesting to see if the modders come up with something to spruce the base up a bit.

Christ now we need to add mods to a topper? Get me on the waiting list for the mod.

#642 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Christ now we need to add mods to a topper?

Only a matter of time I suppose.

And we're gonna need more lighting up there to see the mods.

#643 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Christ now we need to add mods to a topper? Get me on the waiting list for the mod.

Someone has to finish the job, lol

#644 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's like they are charging what people are payng for it...Crazy insane, insane, crazy?

We're now far down the path to $1000 pinball toppers.

#645 4 years ago

I guess that is one good thing about the price, there is a lot of financial incentive for progression in toppers. I am sure people can do a lot better than this for $750. I don't think there has been a lot of motivation to really integrate toppers into gameplay at a $250 price point. At this price it really worth the money to go all out and make something awesome.

#646 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Look at my collection. I have spent money on pins. But examine the value of this decoration. The next topper will be 750. Because it sells. Crazy.

Your collection is stuffed with $7500-8500 LE/PRemium pinballs.

I hereby place all of the blame on rising prices on YOU, D. Gottlieb.

For shame.

I have never spent more than $5000 on a pinball machine and anybody who has is ruining pinball and causing prices to increase.

#647 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I am sure people can do a lot better than this for $750.

I'm sure a lot of people will act like it's going to happen, but I'm doubting it.

Quoted from aingide:

We're now far down the path to $1000 pinball toppers.

For sure. Look, I'm a pro buyer becasue I think the extra shit on the other models isn't worth it for me. Maybe if I had a slick topper for a G, still less than a Premium, I would do it? (not actually me of course)

#648 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For shame.
I have never spent more than $5000 on a pinball machine and anybody who has is ruining pinball and causing prices to increase.

I remember when NIB Stern machines were $3400.

#649 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For shame.

None are NIB. SW was a demo. ST was second hand as was TSPP. The pinball machine prices are not the issue here. It's this topper.

#650 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Only a matter of time I suppose.
And we're gonna need more lighting up there to see the mods.

I guess I’m going to have to get a baby pinstadium to mount on top next to my topper

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 10.95
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,279 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-topper/page/13?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.