Topic Stats

• 678 posts
  • 160 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by imagamejunky
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 85 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pinball - SWTopper (resized).jpg
r2d2topper01.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
FE2B3D8C-7FFB-43DE-AC84-FAB5853E78D8 (resized).jpeg
08204A43-3B34-4F00-B050-371950A329B5 (resized).jpeg
7377C242-B1B1-46D9-9C77-24ED0BBE1872 (resized).jpeg
EEA02720-9B6A-4D12-BCC8-0275236037B1 (resized).jpeg
5BB4F80D-9AA7-4EEF-8292-50659436155C (resized).jpeg
115C7589-E6DB-4718-B116-23EC06AF9462 (resized).jpeg
C40F735E-DA62-4207-BADF-6B60BA93F675 (resized).jpeg
328533E6-661F-4738-910A-B9A4E67D994E (resized).jpeg
AD5B268E-FBCE-4B20-BDAA-B2CAC500CB05 (resized).jpeg
38CBDFC9-9023-45B6-846B-86726926D47E (resized).jpeg
6DA21B3C-7F30-48CF-A855-FE44E56B51DE (resized).jpeg
A2557624-98E6-4874-8BF6-C3CD48762FEA (resized).jpeg
75068A4E-3CCB-46B8-AE2F-BA284D2EAE4F (resized).jpeg

There are 678 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.
#501 7 days ago

I just showed the video to my 10 and 12 year old sons. They both think it’s cool.
I told them it’s $750. They still think it’s cool.

#502 7 days ago

#503 6 days ago
Quoted from mrgone:

That I call "sound financial decision making"
I'm buying one!

#504 6 days ago
Quoted from Sprudeldudel:

That I call "sound financial decision making"
I'm buying one!

Yeah teach the kiddos about keeping up with the jones’s Great idea.

#505 6 days ago

What is really messed up is nobody has been able to produce current pictures of all sides of the newest version of topper.

For $775 there should be some pictures by now. Wtf?

Is the hologram projected now in the correct spot or not?

The one with the screw head is the older version if I’m not mistaken.

#506 6 days ago
Quoted from mrgone:

I just showed the video to my 10 and 12 year old sons. They both think it’s cool.

Tell them it will cost their next 3 years of allowances and see what they say

#507 6 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

What is really messed up is nobody has been able to produce current pictures of all sides of the newest version of topper.

Yeah totally. At least one owner is in this thread, yet we have no decent photos and no video of the production topper in action.

#508 6 days ago
r2d2topper (resized).jpg
#509 6 days ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yeah totally. At least one owner is in this thread, yet we have no decent photos and no video of the production topper in action.

Maybe it’s due to lack of features and interactivity for that $750 price tag, very unusual for a pinsider to not post their latest and greatest as soon as it arrives.

#510 6 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Does it really matter when it doesn’t even have a projector built into it? I mean if your going to miss off the absolute must have/no brainer feature of a Star Wars topper then why bother getting the model accurate to being with

#511 6 days ago

is stern crazy, or are the SW owners? it's pretty sad that not only have the owners had to wait over a year for the dang thing, but in addition to an almost 2x price increase over their other toppers it appears to look like a big, cheap model kit. and wtf?!? now toppers are a limited edition thing?

kind of makes me wish that they farmed out the tooling (and finish) to a company like sideshow collectables). at least that way R2 would have had a chromed dome and looked a lot nicer to justify that $750 price tag.

star wars topper (resized).png
image courtesy of this week in pinball (which still looks like the original photo from 6 months ago)

#512 6 days ago
Quoted from j_m_:

is stern crazy, or are the SW owners? it's pretty sad that not only have the owners had to wait over a year for the dang thing, but in addition to an almost 2x price increase over their other toppers it appears to look like a big, cheap model kit. and wtf?!? now toppers are a limited edition thing?
kind of makes me wish that they farmed out the tooling (and finish) to a company like sideshow collectables). at least that way R2 would have had a chromed dome and looked a lot nicer to justify that $750 price tag.
[quoted image]
image courtesy of this week in pinball (which still looks like the original photo from 6 months ago)

Oooh a Sideshow reference, my Peter tingle went off

I've been collecting Sideshow since the late 90's. They really blew up with the pick up of the Weta LOTR distribution in the early 2k's. That's back when edition sizes were a modest 500-750. Loved hanging with those SS guys at SDCC in the mid 2k's.

#513 6 days ago
Quoted from j_m_:

is stern crazy, or are the SW owners?

Clearly the latter. This is not even a debate.

#514 6 days ago

I'm probably getting one. Worst case scenario I could probably sell it for $500 in a couple of years. I get the 'no one buy this, teach Stern a lesson' thing, but I am not in the hobby to change the world (and good luck convincing everyone), just want to have fun. What isn't fun about having am interactive rotating, beeping R2 head on top of your Star Wars pin?

If fiscal responsibility and "worth the money" were my primary pinball concerns I would only be playing on location and investing my money in a nice guaranteed investment and laughing at all the crazy people spending tens of thousands on their collections.

#515 6 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Thats because Nothing has changed from the front/rear picture or videos already posted over a year ago. Does nothing more nothing less with the exception for a sequential number on the back. All rightfully said this was crazy at $500 now at $750 it's just goofy. My only Guess is they will in short order drop the price back to $500 and All will say "What a Great deal!!" lol Smart play marketing Stern....

#516 6 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thats because Nothing has changed from the front/rear picture or videos already posted over a year ago. Does nothing more nothing less with the exception for a sequential number on the back. All rightfully said this was crazy at $500 now at $750 it's just goofy. My only Guess is they will in short order drop the price back to $500 and All will say "What a Great deal!!" lol Smart play marketing Stern....

I think this is partially incorrect, the were some changes and we have yet to see how it is integrated in code. The original release photos and video from over a year ago was before the coding was in the machine. The last updated added all the topper settings.

That’s all I was getting at, yeah the price sucks, wasn’t the point I was making.

#517 6 days ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Maybe they hope it sells out before a video is posted so people will be stuck with them.

#518 6 days ago

I wonder how it'll look on the comicbook art versions!

#519 6 days ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I wonder how it'll look on the comicbook art versions!

The comic book topper version comes out in 2035.

#520 6 days ago

Just reading this thread and I'm honestly floored by the price.. I bought a players F14 for 900 recently and id say its a lot more fun than a topper. To each their own but in my opinion $700 is crazy talk.

#521 6 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The comic book topper version comes out in 2035.

and will look like this
r2-d2 (resized).jpg

#522 6 days ago

The Ghostbusters topper now looks like a "good" deal compared to the Star Wars topper after the full reveal. With all of the code added to the GB topper in the final update it's the true LE topper lol. Time to make a plaque for it!

gbtopper (resized).png

#523 6 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The Ghostbusters topper now looks like a "good" deal compared to the Star Wars topper after the full reveal. With all of the code added to the GB topper in the final update it's the true LE topper lol. Time to make a plaque for it!
[quoted image]

I bet they made 200-300 of these. More LE.

#524 6 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The Ghostbusters topper now looks like a "good" deal compared to the Star Wars topper after the full reveal.

That was Stern's plan all along: price the Star Wars topper so high that it makes all the other Stern toppers look like bargains!
Dedicated Star Wars fans will still pay the high price for it and Stern will sell a bunch more of all their other toppers.

#525 6 days ago

it will sell out quickly. and will be sold on the secondary market for even more money.
why? because there are many people in the world with more money than good sense.

#526 5 days ago

I took this photo at our local groceey store today. Reminded me how expensive the Stern pinball topper is. Crazy money and people are willing to pay it.

20191203_100910 (resized).jpg
#527 5 days ago

WOW.....the price of this topper is out of this world!

Get it?

Boys and girls I've seen some dumb shit in my life but I think this right here might just be the dumbest thing that I've ever seen! I'm telling you right now and I'm being totally serious, this is nothing more than a test to see how much money people are willing to spend on a topper. Call me a conspiracy theorist I don't care, but I truly believe that.

This brings a whole new meaning to getting bent over.

#528 5 days ago

Alright, full disclosure, I haven’t posted a video yet because I received it with what appears to be a bad motor. I’m working with Stern to get it resolved. It may be something simple on my end I have to fix. We are still working on it.

I did have to go to work that day but was hoping someone else would have posted a video by now. Anyway, I will post multiple angle pics, and I do like how it looks.

Yes I know, you pay this much money for something you shouldn’t have problems like this. I get it. I’m hoping mine is a singular experience. Stern has always been amazing with their customer service with me. I truly believe they will remedy the issue. It also helps I live only about 40 min away from them.

#529 5 days ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

Alright, full disclosure, I haven’t posted a video yet because I received it with what appears to be a bad motor. I’m working with Stern to get it resolved. It may be something simple on my end I have to fix. We are still working on it.

Lol so the only confirmed sale is one that was broken out of the box??? That sucks for you but it’s so Stern right now it hurts.

#530 5 days ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

I did have to go to work that day but was hoping someone else would have posted a video by now. Anyway, I will post multiple angle pics, and I do like how it looks.
Yes I know, you pay this much money for something you shouldn’t have problems like this. I get it. I’m hoping mine is a singular experience. Stern has always been amazing with their customer service with me. I truly believe they will remedy the issue. It also helps I live only about 40 min away from them.

Make sure you plug the cat 5 cable into the empty jack on the bottom of the MPU board, not the top. And the power goes in the bottom of the backbox area. Once you plug it in and power it up, it should update the node board. That’s how my BatSignal worked.

#531 5 days ago
75068A4E-3CCB-46B8-AE2F-BA284D2EAE4F (resized).jpegA2557624-98E6-4874-8BF6-C3CD48762FEA (resized).jpeg6DA21B3C-7F30-48CF-A855-FE44E56B51DE (resized).jpeg38CBDFC9-9023-45B6-846B-86726926D47E (resized).jpegAD5B268E-FBCE-4B20-BDAA-B2CAC500CB05 (resized).jpeg
#532 5 days ago

It’s connected correctly but may not be reaching one of the switches the diagnostic menu only lets me test one and it has the same problem.

#533 5 days ago
328533E6-661F-4738-910A-B9A4E67D994E (resized).jpegC40F735E-DA62-4207-BADF-6B60BA93F675 (resized).jpeg
#534 5 days ago
115C7589-E6DB-4718-B116-23EC06AF9462 (resized).jpeg5BB4F80D-9AA7-4EEF-8292-50659436155C (resized).jpegEEA02720-9B6A-4D12-BCC8-0275236037B1 (resized).jpeg
#535 5 days ago

He lights up, beeps and rotated. I don’t see a projector.

7377C242-B1B1-46D9-9C77-24ED0BBE1872 (resized).jpeg08204A43-3B34-4F00-B050-371950A329B5 (resized).jpeg
#536 5 days ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's hard to separate what it is from what it costs, and from every individuals own best topper they speculated on in their mind, but if you can ignore those 2 things it is certainly cool to have your own R2-D2 riding along on your SW pinball adventures and cheering along.

Enjoy, haters gonna hate!

#537 5 days ago

Your topper is different than the one in the video and the stock Stern photo. The red light in the front of R2 is lit, the cone is in the front instead of an exposed screw. The other thing I noticed is this in the back. Probably nothing, but almost looks like a light or something:

FE2B3D8C-7FFB-43DE-AC84-FAB5853E78D8 (resized).jpeg
#538 5 days ago

"750 you could almost buy a new ship for that!"

sorry couldn't resist. Too bad its priced so high, it is nice looking... though for about 350 it would probably sell like hotcakes.

#539 5 days ago

What exactly does it do? Does he bounce around at all? Any projections? Does it make sounds?
I'm really wanting a premium comic edition, but IMO the topper doesn't match the comic art at all. Looks out of place. Would probably look great on the LE, but not sure about the comic edition. Either way, it's still cool. Thanks for the pics.

#540 5 days ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Your topper is different than the one in the video and the stock Stern photo. The red light in the front of R2 is lit, the cone is in the front instead of an exposed screw. The other thing I noticed is this in the back. Probably nothing, but almost looks like a light or something:[quoted image]

The green light does light up, I had it off because the side LEDs are so bright.

#541 5 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

What exactly does it do? Does he bounce around at all? Any projections? Does it make sounds?
I'm really wanting a premium comic edition, but IMO the topper doesn't match the comic art at all. Looks out of place. Would probably look great on the LE, but not sure about the comic edition. Either way, it's still cool. Thanks for the pics.

He makes multiple sounds, lights up, and rotates. I haven’t played a game with him because the limit switches aren’t working and I don’t want to do any damage to it. So he may do more but I don’t know yet. As far as I can tell there is no projector.

#542 5 days ago

does It wobble or bounce up and down or anything?

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the legs are finished going down into base and looks like there maybe be a slot in leg for up and down movement.

#543 5 days ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Your topper is different than the one in the video and the stock Stern photo. The red light in the front of R2 is lit, the cone is in the front instead of an exposed screw. The other thing I noticed is this in the back. Probably nothing, but almost looks like a light or something:[quoted image]

I have to say, at least they made it look aesthetically correct now. There isn’t anything jumping out at me as totally off with exception of no projector.

I wonder if this can be modded for such a thing?

Also, will be interesting to see if the modders come up with something to spruce the base up a bit.

#544 5 days ago

How tall is it? Low clearance may eliminate any temptation...unless I rearrange my pins.

#545 5 days ago

Maybe this would be a better Topper, or "Tapper"

pasted_image (resized).png
#546 5 days ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

It’s connected correctly but may not be reaching one of the switches the diagnostic menu only lets me test one and it has the same problem.

Could have put that money to finishing that basement room. Jmho

#547 5 days ago

It does appear that Stern May be testing the waters price wise. What leaves me scratching my head is if Stern feels they're leaving cash on the table with toppers why the Hell don't they extend its topper production?? Most toppers from newer releases can longer be found. There are still people looking for KISS toppers. BM66 has seen at least 2 more production runs with no further toppers being made. What are they thinking?

#548 5 days ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Is the topper mounted backwards?
One would think the limited edition plaque would be up front.

#549 5 days ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

What are they thinking?

Who knows? Maybe you have to be a member of the Stern Insider Club to find out.

#550 5 days ago
Quoted from freddy:

Is the topper mounted backwards?
One would think the limited edition plaque would be up front.

I had the same thought. For the money, that LE number better be front and center.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mentor, OH
There are 678 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside