You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sw-ac-dc (resized).png
EFDF12EE-94EC-40D9-911E-938004F0414E (resized).jpeg
oldman (resized).jpg
C69EEADC-4C5D-42AE-B472-2957F3C8BF20 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fordiesel69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

If there is any game on the market that needs to go away it is this. Did the designers not have a Data East version to play with first? Did they ever even hear of a Data East Star Wars? Was the cost of the licensing too expensive that they had to lay off the design department and revert to a 1970's playfield layout?

Can anyone share the internal thoughts stern had to produce such a lacking game? I'd love to hear how they can defend and market a game that is far worse than any prior release by other manufactures.

A similar example is making an Eight Ball Champ, after the Eight Ball Deluxe (except EBC is actually a great shooting game unlike this one).

-A crappy playfield layout with a complex and deep ruleset is still crap. It's like bathing a wild boar hoping to make it smell better, longer.
-The art is very plain, and appears to have no thought process. Just thrown on there.
-The premium looks like it could be decent but there is no place that has one in my area to play.
-The playfield is a side drain monster (I thought it was just me, nope.....)
-The Star Wars theme is not properly executed into the actual gameplay. It's almost like the programmers and designers were not talking to each other.

Any premium or LE's around in erie, buffalo, pittsburgh, or cleveland area to try out to form a second opinion?

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I don't like looking at peoples collections and then judge them but in this case I made an acception and its very clear to me now how a thread this stupid came to be.

And what is that supposed to mean? Yep I get teased about a small handful of my games, and I don't care. I looked at your collection too and you have an Iron Maiden. Do the comparison, it happens to be an excellent game from Stern, and EFFORT WAS PUT INTO IT!!!!! Art is amazing on all three editions, and integrates well, the software /ruleset integrates with the playfield unlike Star Wars Pro, and most of all it actually has a playfield with features and the playfield is NOT A DRAIN MONSTER. Repeat after me.....EFFORT.....WAS.....PUT.....INTO......IT. Facts are facts, being we all know JJP saved Stern's a$$ by actually being innovative, and making them step up to the plate, Star Wars Pro is like a giant leap back to when Stern sucked. Anybody can overpay for a license, exhale art work onto a firewood cabinet, write a complex code base without talking to the design team, and charge a lot of money for it. You can continue to defend firewood with legs if you wish.

I do not share this opinion alone. Here are some quotes from a pinside ratings thread:

-danodavis:"Very disappointing considering the license. Comes off as a paint-by-numbers shooter that was rushed out."

-drfrightner: "My issue with this game is simple. Great theme and not enough effort to incorporate the theme into the game itself."

-RobT: "I own it. Don't care for it. Rules don't mesh well with the layout. Shots do feel good and satisfying to hit, but the pin just isn't much fun. I don't like the implementation of the rules. Gets repetitive."

-middaleman: "I hate middle buttons and video modes. This game PROMINENTLY features a middle button and a video mode. It's dependent on the middle button and the video mode. Boo."

Yes we should be playing pinball not an arcade game. I know stern needs to justify the expense of Spike2 and the LCD they implemented kicking and screaming."

-stf_dnx: "I'm a big fan of Ritchie's tables, but this one looks like a lazy licenced themed pin. Uninspired PF, with poor design. Maybe it becomes nice after you really dig the rules... Myself after a dozen plays, i just did not find any fun at it. Animations are great, sound is what it should be, that's about it.
I guess this can be an option for SW fans, but as we are talking pinball, I have to agree this is one of the worst table recently produced. At least, you can play for free when you'll find one routed, because players usually leave it before they use all of their credits..."

-konghuster: "Pro just has nothing on play field. Game is still fun, but there is zero wow factor here. I like playing, but will never buy this one. Good to play a few games on location, but if buying, premium is way to go. The shots were a little tight, and the layout was very basic. You're definitely playing the LCD and sounds on this title, and nothing really on play field to interact with ball. A let down for sure, but still fun on location."

Too little of nothing. You wanna change the art and some code tweaks on the higher end models then sure, but at least keep the playfield features on the lower end models the same so they are not lacking.

Quoted from Trogdor:

Where did you go, OP? Seems like you have over 40 pinsiders that don’t agree.
I agree. I love Star Wars, loved DE Star Wars, I can’t stand this Stern version- pro or whatever I’ve played on route. I’ll take the comic book edition for decor, though. I think it is more a function of how the DE version is ingrained in our brain. Hear the music, hitting flippers- should hear a ball whipping around a wire form and a tie fighter flying by- or whatever that was. That pulsing alarm siren- shoot the troopers!!
Stern version- aim for mode start LCD, hit squarely and watch ball go straight down the middle. Flush! and repeat.. I’ll keep trying it- unless there is a DE in the place.

I could not have said it better. No doubt DE SW needed a code re-write. But is now shines and comes out on top of them all.

Could it be that between the licensing of Batman66 and Aerosmith combined with the cost to design and implement the SPIKE2 system, coupled with the price of the licensing alone for Star Wars, there was just not any funds left? I mean LCD's are expensive these days.....

Oh...and I forgot to mention......With such a complex ruleset, I do not see myself or my friends lugging around an encyclopedia / iPad pro / or Laptop to be able to figure out how to play the game. If that was the case, mobile library's might become a thing again.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Some people don't like hard games.. wah.
I bet BSD and Iron Man are "bad games" also?
The whining about how much it drains shows that either you arent much of a player or dont know how to set up a pinball.

This game was on location. I cannot speak as to how it was set up. I would agree if all other games drained. But it was just this one.

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from ausretrogamer:

I fall in the bucket of those that disliked the game when it came out in 2017 (played the Pro at my local distro). However, I saw the light side of the FORCE in 2019 when I gave this game (Premium) another chance. I was so amazed with my 180 degree on this game, I actually wrote about it:
http://www.ausretrogamer.com/star-wars-comic-art-pinball-may-the-force-be-with-you/
Remember what Yoda once said, “Disappointment is the path to the dark side. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Welllll, he didn’t say that exactly, but you get my drift

ausretrogamer:

I enjoyed the read. Now only to find a premium (comic art or not) on location somewhere to do a fair comparison. Everthing is pro or nutin.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fordiesel69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-pro-insulting-?tu=fordiesel69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.