You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sw-ac-dc (resized).png
EFDF12EE-94EC-40D9-911E-938004F0414E (resized).jpeg
oldman (resized).jpg
C69EEADC-4C5D-42AE-B472-2957F3C8BF20 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 3 years ago

I would probably rate Star Wars a top 5 all time favorite for me. The Unorthodox ruleset is probably the best in pinball. Fast pace, awesome flow, brutal layout, challenging all around game. I owned a pro for 2 years and am very tempted to get an SW PREM Comic, but that would mean bailing on GNR; which actually probably wouldn’t be such a bad idea considering GNR’s are going to take a LONG time to make.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from Fordiesel69:

And what is that supposed to mean? Yep I get teased about a small handful of my games, and I don't care. I looked at your collection too and you have an Iron Maiden. Do the comparison, it happens to be an excellent game from Stern, and EFFORT WAS PUT INTO IT!!!!! Art is amazing on all three editions, and integrates well, the software /ruleset integrates with the playfield unlike Star Wars Pro, and most of all it actually has a playfield with features and the playfield is NOT A DRAIN MONSTER. Repeat after me.....EFFORT.....WAS.....PUT.....INTO......IT. Facts are facts, being we all know JJP saved Stern's a$$ by actually being innovative, and making them step up to the plate, Star Wars Pro is like a giant leap back to when Stern sucked. Anybody can overpay for a license, exhale art work onto a firewood cabinet, write a complex code base without talking to the design team, and charge a lot of money for it. You can continue to defend firewood with legs if you wish.
I do not share this opinion alone. Here are some quotes from a pinside ratings thread:
-danodavis:"Very disappointing considering the license. Comes off as a paint-by-numbers shooter that was rushed out."
-drfrightner: "My issue with this game is simple. Great theme and not enough effort to incorporate the theme into the game itself."
-RobT: "I own it. Don't care for it. Rules don't mesh well with the layout. Shots do feel good and satisfying to hit, but the pin just isn't much fun. I don't like the implementation of the rules. Gets repetitive."
-middaleman: "I hate middle buttons and video modes. This game PROMINENTLY features a middle button and a video mode. It's dependent on the middle button and the video mode. Boo."
Yes we should be playing pinball not an arcade game. I know stern needs to justify the expense of Spike2 and the LCD they implemented kicking and screaming."
-stf_dnx: "I'm a big fan of Ritchie's tables, but this one looks like a lazy licenced themed pin. Uninspired PF, with poor design. Maybe it becomes nice after you really dig the rules... Myself after a dozen plays, i just did not find any fun at it. Animations are great, sound is what it should be, that's about it.
I guess this can be an option for SW fans, but as we are talking pinball, I have to agree this is one of the worst table recently produced. At least, you can play for free when you'll find one routed, because players usually leave it before they use all of their credits..."
-konghuster: "Pro just has nothing on play field. Game is still fun, but there is zero wow factor here. I like playing, but will never buy this one. Good to play a few games on location, but if buying, premium is way to go. The shots were a little tight, and the layout was very basic. You're definitely playing the LCD and sounds on this title, and nothing really on play field to interact with ball. A let down for sure, but still fun on location."
Too little of nothing. You wanna change the art and some code tweaks on the higher end models then sure, but at least keep the playfield features on the lower end models the same so they are not lacking.

I could not have said it better. No doubt DE SW needed a code re-write. But is now shines and comes out on top of them all.
Could it be that between the licensing of Batman66 and Aerosmith combined with the cost to design and implement the SPIKE2 system, coupled with the price of the licensing alone for Star Wars, there was just not any funds left? I mean LCD's are expensive these days.....
Oh...and I forgot to mention......With such a complex ruleset, I do not see myself or my friends lugging around an encyclopedia / iPad pro / or Laptop to be able to figure out how to play the game. If that was the case, mobile library's might become a thing again.

Funny as shit that you quoted RobT review. I’m friends with him and will have to get him to update his review, but he owns SW and I know for a fact he thinks it’s an AMAZING game. We very often talk about how genius the ruleset and gameplay is. He, like myself and others, did not like this game much at first (which is probably when he did his review). But, now that we understand the rules, we think it’s one of sterns best games.

To say there is no heart or soul put into Star Wars is just ignorant! Try telling that to Dwight whose said on podcasts that he thinks it’s the best code he’s ever done for a game...and it shows! But hey, you don’t like it or care to understand it’s beauty, then move on. Or if you want to beat the dead horse, then maybe educate yourself on the game.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I've always said this too but they play completely different.
[quoted image]

I had ACDC PRO and SW PRO together in my lineup for a good year or more not too long ago. They play and feel nothing alike.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

That's why I said they play completely different.

Yea, my comment was more for the others who keep bringing it up despite me quoting you - sorry for confusion

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I’m not sure you guys are fully understanding me. The game is fun, but it’s strictly code/asset based. Here’s the thing. Everybody has different tastes in games, and gameplay. My taste wants to see the play field do something cool, something that you’re trying to activate. The pro literally has nothing on the play field that does anything. There’s no reason to get upset at a different opinion. There’s also no reason that this game didn’t have more on the play field. I’m not talking about plastic static toys glued to the game. I’m talking about interactive toys, and mechs that actually do something. How are there zero magnets in a game about the force and star wars? The premium loop is really cool, while a poor design, but still really cool when it works. The pro just doesn’t have enough magic in it for guys like me that want play field interaction and not just lcd rules and assets to get excited about. It’s cool guys like the pro, it’s just not for everyone. I’ll probably get a premium someday, but I’m just not feeling the value of the pro on this one.
Btw the comic pro is one of the best looking games ever imo, so at least the new art makes it look busier than what it is.

Let me put this as simple as i possibly can....

Quoted from Jediturtle:

Ohh...ohh...can we count solenoids next??
Some people like the game, some don't. Like any other game. For me, and many others, this game sucks you into the world of Star Wars in a way that most machines cannot do. In one mode I get to hit an orbit or ramp to aim the turret then have to quickly hit a tie fighter standup to...guess what? Shoot a tie fighter! In another I need to hit a ramp to attack with my light saber and the FORCE targets to parry an attack. I hit a tight loop shot to loop my tow cable around an AT-AT's legs to bring it down. I...holy crap...destroy the Death Star by *gasp* SHOOTING THE DEATH STAR. That, to me, makes it all the "world under glass" that I need. Anyone who says there was zero effort in making this a Star Wars game and linking the playfield features with the code has simply not played the game or bothered to pay attention to what they were doing. If you do not like it, fine...you don't like it. But to shit all over Steve Ritchie and Dwight Sullivan (and the rest of the team) is ridiculous. They obviously had constraints, but were able to make one heck of a Star Wars experience with what they had to work with.

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from Fordiesel69:

ausretrogamer:
I enjoyed the read. Now only to find a premium (comic art or not) on location somewhere to do a fair comparison. Everthing is pro or nutin.....

My recommendation for people who truly want to learn SW:

+ Don’t stack modes
+ when selecting a mode, look at the inserts on the playfield, not the display.
+ pick a character and stick to them for your first 10 or so games. If you don’t like the video mode, then avoid Han and Leia.
+ pick a planet and stick to those modes only until you understand them. Then try another planet and modes.
+ put your multipliers on Death Star/Hoth/Endor and leave them there forever, or until you’re ready to take the game to the next level

My recommendation. Pick Luke, and focus either on the Endor planet or Death Star planet modes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-pro-insulting-?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.