View topic image gallery

20240123_001903 (resized).jpg
IMG_0978 (resized).jpg
IMG_0975 (resized).jpg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpg
IMG_1622 (resized).jpg
IMG_1623 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Is anyone else disappointed that the side rails on the LE don't light up during Hyper Space? If I knew that I would of went with the Premium, much better artwork.

#2 6 years ago

Oh snap you bought the LE thinking the side rails lit up
Bummer man!

#3 6 years ago

I've bought LEs for 5 years and I couldn't do it anymore. Oh well.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from gamedoctor75:

Is anyone else disappointed that the side rails on the LE don't light up during Hyper Space? If I knew that I would of went with the Premium, much better artwork.

No, I'm not disappointed.

Rob

#5 6 years ago

I also think the LEs are becoming less desirable. Fewer features to set them apart doesn't warrant the price difference.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from gamedoctor75:

No.1 rule buying NIB make sure you read the feature matrix.

It also wouldn't make much sense if they lit up during lightspeed modes, as the rails are designed to look like the Millennium Falcons interior metal work, not that of the stars being warped jumping to lightspeed, although that would have a been a cool feature to have.

#7 6 years ago

I dropped out the LE once I realized that've cut back so far on LE's now that it was just a premium with different side rails. whopp deeee freaking do. Love my Star Trek LE though

#8 6 years ago

Yes. I just wonder if there would be amod possible. Such a waste of design... They should light up at sometime. Don't know that light speed would be it but something....

1 month later
#9 6 years ago

Finally figured out how to may my side rails light up

IMG_1623 (resized).jpgIMG_1623 (resized).jpg

IMG_1622 (resized).jpgIMG_1622 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

Can they color change? I’ve been thinking about pinstadium.

#11 6 years ago

My side rail lights are done the EL paper and are only white. Those pinstadium lights do change color but they only light the play field and the inside of the cabinet.

#12 6 years ago

Why would you want the side blades to change color? That would look ultra-tacky. They look the way they're supposed to look (as in the movies), and it looks great with white.

#14 6 years ago

I think they would look cool if you could make them strobe blue/red in Lightsabre Duel.

#15 6 years ago

May I ask where you plugged them into?
drill a small hole and connect to a power splitter that you can get for Sterns?

#16 6 years ago

I've been getting some PMs about how to do this

1. I used white EL tape 3cm x 100cm. If you prefer red or blue or some other color that would be possible just by ordering a different color, but EL paper does not change color dynamically. The inverters I got have an option to make the tape flash, although I prefer the look of them being constantly on. I could not find a US source for this and ordered them from Aliexpress. You want ones where the inverter is designed for 12V DC input. It will take 6 pieces to do the game. I usually order an extra or two in case one arrives damaged. It takes about a month to get them from China.

2. The white EL tape has a pink color when it is turned off. I don't like this look in the game when it is turned off. I wanted the game to look stock when it is turned off. I put 1/16" white polycarbonate on top of the EL tape will give a stock look while allowing the light from the EL tape to shine through when the game is turned on.

3. Take off the side rails and remove the stock white cardboard. Use the white cardboard as a pattern and trace it on the polycarbonate. Cut the polycarbonate so it is the same size as the stock cardboard. There will be 3 holes you need to drill in each piece also.

4. I mounted the 6 inverters that power the EL tape on a small board. I made a wiring harness so it can be powered off the 12V output on the power supply board in the back box. I put mine mounted the board to the back of the cabinet (keep in mind how long of wires you will need to reach the power supply), but you could put it other places.

5. Put the EL Tape on the inside of the polycarbonate so it shines though the holes in the side rails. You will need 3 pieces of tape for each side rail. Some will need to be cut. If you cut them put clear tape on the cut part so it won't short out. I put mine so the wires come out the back behind the hinges. It is easiest to get this together with the hinge removed. Route the wires into the cabinet. Put the side rail and hinge back on. Pug the wires into the inverters and you're done.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

May I ask where you plugged them into?
drill a small hole and connect to a power splitter that you can get for Sterns?

See above. No holes need to be drilled in the cabinet, so the mod is completely reversible.

I used a connector I made used to connect to the power supply board is 3 position 0.156" molex connector (only the 2 outer pins are used). The parts to make this are available at Pinball Life or where ever electronics parts are sold.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Why would you want the side blades to change color? That would look ultra-tacky. They look the way they're supposed to look (as in the movies), and it looks great with white.

If the side rails could change from site to glow red during tilt warnings and various other game modes like tie fighter hurry up would be a nice touch. Similar to under cabinet lighting.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from waveb67:

If the side rails could change from site to glow red during tilt warnings and various other game modes like tie fighter hurry up would be a nice touch. Similar to under cabinet lighting.

I suppose. But it just doesn't match the design based on the movie. I'd leave that stuff to the undercab lighting.

3 months later
#20 6 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I've been getting some PMs about how to do this
1. I used white EL tape 3cm x 100cm. If you prefer red or blue or some other color that would be possible just by ordering a different color, but EL paper does not change color dynamically. The inverters I got have an option to make the tape flash, although I prefer the look of them being constantly on. I could not find a US source for this and ordered them from Aliexpress. You want ones where the inverter is designed for 12V DC input. It will take 6 pieces to do the game. I usually order an extra or two in case one arrives damaged. It takes about a month to get them from China.
2. The white EL tape has a pink color when it is turned off. I don't like this look in the game when it is turned off. I wanted the game to look stock when it is turned off. I put 1/16" white polycarbonate on top of the EL tape will give a stock look while allowing the light from the EL tape to shine through when the game is turned on.
3. Take off the side rails and remove the stock white cardboard. Use the white cardboard as a pattern and trace it on the polycarbonate. Cut the polycarbonate so it is the same size as the stock cardboard. There will be 3 holes you need to drill in each piece also.
4. I mounted the 6 inverters that power the EL tape on a small board. I made a wiring harness so it can be powered off the 12V output on the power supply board in the back box. I put mine mounted the board to the back of the cabinet (keep in mind how long of wires you will need to reach the power supply), but you could put it other places.
5. Put the EL Tape on the inside of the polycarbonate so it shines though the holes in the side rails. You will need 3 pieces of tape for each side rail. Some will need to be cut. If you cut them put clear tape on the cut part so it won't short out. I put mine so the wires come out the back behind the hinges. It is easiest to get this together with the hinge removed. Route the wires into the cabinet. Put the side rail and hinge back on. Pug the wires into the inverters and you're done.

Is this the tape you used? And six 100 cm lengths of it (three for each side)?:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-3cm-x-100cm-white-Flexible-Electroluminescent-Tape-EL-Wire-Glowing-With-DC12V-Inverter/32813751337.html

Based on the pricing looks like it might ultimately be easier (and only slightly more expensive) to go with the Pingraffix solution (if/when it's back in stock)?
https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/stern-star-wars-le-pinball-armor-illumination-kit

#21 6 years ago

I did this and put up a post on it several months ago before pingraffix or anyone else sold a commercial product to do it. I would agree that the pingraffix product is likely easier to install and the ease of installation makes up for the small difference in price. This would be the way I would go if I did it again. However the EL tape you linked to on aliexpress could also be used.

As an aside, since I initially posted this I've made some blades for inside the game that match the character of the outside blades. I use them with a mirrored surface behind them but they could also probably be used with thin EL paper.

IMG_0971 (resized).jpgIMG_0971 (resized).jpg

IMG_0975 (resized).jpgIMG_0975 (resized).jpg

IMG_0978 (resized).jpgIMG_0978 (resized).jpg

#22 6 years ago

Thanks! And nice work on those mirror blades, they look badass!

#23 6 years ago

I second the Pingraffix LED (EL) lighting strips. Easy to install and Joe does a great job supporting his products. Plus unlike other options available or custom his strips are White when off vs pink. Not major but looks correct.

5 years later
#24 58 days ago

Late to the party! I am looking for a white when off option for my side rails lights. I have the pink with the loud EL inverter hum. I am thinking I can delete the inverter, but the pink is pretty annoying. The lights are also blueish, so pure white would also match what I am going for.

20240123_001903 (resized).jpg20240123_001903 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-le-side-rails and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.