IMG_0315.GIF
umno (resized).jpg
IMG_3946 (resized).JPG
IMG_2017 (resized).JPG
76g6KQ.gif
IMG_0314.GIF
IMG_0313.GIF
20170708_171851 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I got a chance to play a handful of games on a Stern Star Wars Pro today at Pintastic. I'm curious to hear first impressions from those who have had a chance to play it. Here are mine:

The sounds, lighting and video are fantastic. It is a very impressive display and gets you immersed in the game. The artwork looks a lot better in real life than in the pictures. I normally don't like actors images on a playfield, but here, it gave it a sense of nostalgia while also feeling entirely fresh at the same time.

The game played fast, as one would expect from Stern and Ritchie. The layout was interesting, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it yet. The ramps were nothing special and seemed a bit too much tucked into the side of the game. I liked the mini-orbit on the left a lot. That shot felt good and fast, and it returned the ball to the flipper nicely. Hitting the tie fighter was fun, and I loved to see it bounce around after being hit. The bank of targets in front of the mini-screen was also fun to hit. Though, there, it was a definite risk vs. reward. Some modes seemed to require you to hit them, but they are a dangerous shot and send the ball back quickly towards the flippers and the drain. That said, there were no cheep drains down the middle. Each shot was set up well.

The Death Star on the Pro didn't seem to do anything other than light up. It still looked good, but I would love to try a Premium / LE some day. That might be the model to get.

It is hard to judge the code from a few plays. There seems like quite a bit there, with many modes and many different ways to play. The instructions for the modes were clear, and I never seemed to wonder what I should be shooting for.

Overall, I liked the game, but I'm on the fence a bit on the layout. I definitely want to see how the code develops and try a Premium/LE one day. It was a fun game that brought fond memories back while still feeling new. I'll be watching it.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Recent podcast showed 3 guys earning 3, 7 and 9 billion point scores. That's around 1000 times the score shown above.

I wish I remembered my scores. I know I got Hoth Champion on one of the pins in the showroom, but I don't think I took any other high scores. Are those podcast scores normal or just a result of really really good players? If they are normal, I think pin score inflation is getting out of hand.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

This was exactly my fear. Watching every video out there, I am trying to be amazed. I'm not fully seeing it. The theme, the sounds, the clips will all sell this title, and also make everybody somewhat more accepting of it's bare layout. Honestly, if this was anything other than star wars, would people be buying it? I've heard people comparing it to AS and it's simple layout. AS is far easier on the eyes for starters giving it more love. AS toy box is awesome. The layout isn't much different from Metallica, and the rules are great and easier to understand. Upper playfield adds to the layout. I guess I'm not sure how people are saying AS is a simple layout compared to sw. I do think the hyper loop on premium le will help a lot, but I'm not sure that it adds enough for the price. I'm still anxiously waiting to see the hyper loop, but so far, I'm having to work at liking it. Of all themes, I never thought I'd have to work to try and like the game. Still holding out for hope though.

The playfield doesn't feel that bare when you play it. I played both Star Wars Pro and AS Pro for the first time. Star Wars was the one I enjoyed more. That said, my biggest misgiving about Star Wars right now is the placement of the ramps. They are long shots and completely tucked into the sides. They didn't give me that cool feeling to hit that most other ramps give me. So, I'm not sure.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I followed this thread to get information on SW. Comparisons are fine, but arguments about what company did what wrong is a waste of time. Op along with myself are only interested in SW opinions.

Quoted from fosaisu:

Wait, is this the "First impressions after playing SW" thread, or the "first impressions after seeing the MSRP on SW" thread? I was looking for the former.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. There are way more opinions on pricing than on actual game play. Oh well.

Quoted from Gravity:

When I walked away from the machine, I don't know if I got a great feel for the machine. I don't know. Something didn't click for me. I wanted to walk away from the machine and say "that's my next pin!", but I didn't have that feeling.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I liked it a lot, but it was hard to tell whether it would have lasting appeal. I really like how chuckwurt has played enough games that he is getting a feel for the scoring strategy. I only played a handful. It seemed like a lot was going on code wise, but I couldn't figure it out. It would be nice to hear how the selection of characters and bonuses work. Is Stern going to put out a strategy sheet like they did with GOT?

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sorry Hilton, the LCD screen is a huge deal. Maybe more so in a HUO environment but location non pinheads are gonna love it.
Especially on a Star Wars

You know, it is interesting. I think Stern is doing a disservice to itself putting the LCD screen so low on the backbox. When people are crowded around the machine, it will be hard to see. The LCD on Dialed In by contrast is large and bright. It instantly attracts. At Pintastic, even though I was far back in line waiting for Dialed In, I could still enjoy all the beauty on the screen.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

But then you have other people complain there is no real backglass when you turn the display on Dialed In off.

Quoted from jar155:

It's harder on the player though. For someone who doesn't know exactly where to look, trying to understand what's going on with the screen on The Hobbit is a near impossible task. For location, the smaller, easier to glance at screen is better. Star Wars seems to suffer from information overload though. Stuff just stacks on top of stuff and things are shoved into all corners.

Maybe. I was just thinking about attracting customers to play on location, where the game is always on. The large and visually stunning display of Dialed In I think will do a better job. That said, the visuals on Star Wars are great. It is just harder to see from afar or behind a bunch of people.

Not to get off topic, but Pintastic was the first time I saw a Dialed In in person, and I was amazed by the display. I wasn't sure about it from the videos I had seen, but in person, the thing is a marvel.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If the code matures like GOT the next few updates over the next 3-4 months are gonna be awesome.

Can you let us know what you figured out about scoring, character selection and bonuses? Or, would it take a book . . . .

#154 6 years ago

At Pintastic, the lines for DI seemed twice as long as the lines for Star Wars. Could have something to do with ball time, but my games on both were about equal in length.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There are no similarities to ST whatsoever.

Agreed. I own a ST Pro and have played countless games on it. Star Wars did not feel like it at all.

#174 6 years ago

Some people commented on the Tie Fighter sequence when a dozen of them appear on the screen and you furiously hit the middle button to destroy them. I only got this once but really liked it. I had to quickly cradle the ball, and then it just felt very satisfying to destroy those Tie Fighters.

I'm not sure what triggered them appearing, but I suppose that can happen. You're off in a galaxy far far away minding your own business and suddenly find yourself surrounded by Imperial forces, needing to fight your way out.

In any case, you either have to take your hand off one of the flippers to hit the button, which is dangerous, or try to cradle the ball. And, if you don't like the Tie Fighter button mashing, just don't do it. I believe it goes away.

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

On a 6 second timer not counting the grace period. Treat it like the LW3 uzi modes. However it does get you to multiball, so I suggest hitting it. Haha

Is that right? If you nail all Tie Fighters, it starts multiball? I think I came up one short. Do you know what you have to do to trigger the Tie Fighters appearing?

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So guys that played this, what are some things you didn't like about it? Particularly just with code and layout. What are opinions about this as an in home game in a 6 game collection?

Again, I only had a few plays, but my biggest gripe was the ramps. I'm not sure anyone else felt this way, but they just seemed kind of blah to me. The left one in particular is a fairly long shot, and it felt it took a while for the ball to get back to the flipper. I'm curious what others think of the ramps, especially those who have played it more.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm gonna just put this out there, I love the bobbin tie fighter

Yeah, that was a blast to hit!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-first-impressions-from-those-who-have-played-it?tu=nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.