Topic Stats

• 246 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6 (resized).jpg
12 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
20170817_231114 (resized).jpg
SW lack luster.jpg
good-gooood-let-the-sales-flow-through-you-thumb (resized).jpg
IMG_0315.GIF
umno (resized).jpg
IMG_3946 (resized).JPG
IMG_2017 (resized).JPG
76g6KQ.gif
IMG_0314.GIF
IMG_0313.GIF
20170708_171851 (resized).jpg

There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Anyone else think the callouts by the guy with an english accent sound like a poor mans Patrick Stewart?

The voice actor for the callouts is apparently the same actor who did the narration for SW clone wars series and maybe SW rebels (I've never seen that one). Not OT, which is disappointing, but I'm impressed Stern sprang for someone in the universe instead of in-house or the hillbilly voice actor.

If only they could have gotten Billy Dee Williams.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

The voice actor for the callouts is apparently the same actor who did the narration for SW clone wars series and maybe SW rebels (I've never seen that one). Not OT, which is disappointing, but I'm impressed Stern sprang for someone in the universe instead of in-house or the hillbilly voice actor.
If only they could have gotten Billy Dee Williams.

Thats cool if they got him. I haven't seen SW clone wars yet but I've heard its decent.

Billy Dee would be awesome!

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why Clg? You like making money don't you?

I have to manage the depreciation basically. Resale value for new games here is not that great with such a small market. A guy here can't sell his huo GoT premium and he offered for like a third less than he paid.

Seems like they have most quality issues sorted and my distributor is doing a good board warranty so it should work out financially and I and others will get to play it

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from clg:

It looks really good in the stream. Yes the art is a bit bland and the pf sparse but the sounds, lights and video make up for it. The theme should do really well on location too. I surprised myself by ordering one.

Coin cascade?

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from Grg:

Coin cascade?

Yep

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Is it better then Aerosmith can't say yet need more plays on it, but loving the code and the shots on it, because it is a classic steve Ritchie screamer with amazing code. In my mind Dwight just took the crown from Lyman

What???????

IMG_2017 (resized).JPG

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Anyone else think the callouts by the guy with an english accent sound like a poor mans Patrick Stewart?

When I first heard them I thought they sounded like the Sean Connery impersonator from IJ4 but apparently they are from the Clone Wars narrator as mentioned before.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

There was just a pro model set up to play. The premium when available is $7300.

Wow, so $500 over a Ghostbusters premium and that is after the $100 price hike from January across all games. That's a $600 increase from the beginning of the year...

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow, so $500 over a Ghostbusters premium and that is after the $100 price hike from January across all games. That's a $600 increase from the beginning of the year...

A WOZ LE was $6500 and now Dialed In is $9000 and they shrunk the size of the playfield from a widebody to a standard body game.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

A WOZ LE was $6500 and now Dialed In is $9000 and they shrunk the size of the playfield from a widebody to a standard body game.

Yeah but JJP can do no wrong and don't forget build quality.

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I have to manage the depreciation basically. Resale value for new games here is not that great with such a small market. A guy here can't sell his huo GoT premium and he offered for like a third less than he paid.
Seems like they have most quality issues sorted and my distributor is doing a good board warranty so it should work out financially and I and others will get to play it

Smart move then right? You recoup your costs much faster on a significantly lower priced pin that everybody is going to play because of the theme.

Depreciation risk should be much lower as well on this lower priced pin.

Good luck!

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

how much was WoZ standard and how much is DI standard?

I thougt 6500 was just the preorder price on WOZle? Werent they 8500 retail?

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Jack and others have said that at $6500 JJP didn't make any money on WOZ. On one of Kanedas recent podcast Jack said they originally thought it would cost $4500 in materials for WOZ, well they were way off. Also, WOZ LE was $6500 for a short time, then jumped up to $7500.

Stern raising prices because JJP raised prices is kinda crazy as there is a clear difference in quality, code support, and value being offered between the companies two products.

In my opinion JJP has justified their prices increases due to offering high quality, loaded and great code supported games. Stern though hasn't (not consistently) and is just raising prices because they see their biggest competitor is.

This price raising tactic wouldn't fly in any other industry. At these new insane prices there's no reason for Star Wars not to be as loaded as GB Premium / LE and to not have a similar amount of LE features as ST LE.

#65 2 years ago

It will sell well and I will never own one, but I will gladly take someones Metallica when they dump it for cash toward their Star Wars

#66 2 years ago

Yeah as far as high prices go it's all on JJP great company but every title they keep upping price if it wasn't for stern pros I wouldn't be buying any pins too expensive

#67 2 years ago

Once again somebody brings jjp into a stern thread. When will you all learn that jjp specifically set out to offer a better, more packed, high end pinball machine? Stern doesn't have the same way of thinking. Jjp offers a premium quality product and charges accordingly. Stern offers a standard product and the pro/premium models are priced accordingly. Neither is right or wrong. Each serves a purpose. Stern Le models are priced ridiculously high, but collectors will pay it. Why does everyone keep comparing a standard company price/product to a high end price/product? Get over it. Oh wait, it's pinside. Guess we're all getting used to comparing apples to oranges.
Only fair comparison really is a stern SW to past stern offerings.

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Jack and others have said that at $6500 JJP didn't make any money on WOZ. On one of Kanedas recent podcast Jack said they originally thought it would cost $4500 in materials for WOZ, well they were way off. Also, WOZ LE was $6500 for a short time, then jumped up to $7500.
Stern raising prices because JJP raised prices is kinda crazy as there is a clear difference in quality, code support, and value being offered between the companies two products.
In my opinion JJP has justified their prices increases due to offering high quality, loaded and great code supported games. Stern though hasn't (not consistently) and is just raising prices because they see their biggest competitor is.
This price raising tactic wouldn't fly in any other industry. At these new insane prices there's no reason for Star Wars not to be as loaded as GB Premium / LE and to not have a similar amount of LE features as ST LE.

I get tired of the whole JJP VS Stern debate.
Just be glad their are new pinballs from any manufacturers. None of them are perfect.
Anyway you slice it pinball is expensive.
No one has a gun to anyone's head to buy any NIB games.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I get tried of the whole JJP VS Stern debate.
Just be glad their are new pinballs from any manufacturers. Non of them are perfect.

Totally agree with this. I get caught up in this who is better pissing match. I'm guilty as any. You said it, we are very lucky pinballs are being made for our enjoyment. It's a very expensive hobby for sure.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I get tried of the whole JJP VS Stern debate.
Just be glad their are new pinballs from any manufacturers. Non of them are perfect.

Exactly this. Everybody just buy what you personally like. Comparing games is fine, but not bashing. If I want to compare what I get out of a $9000 swle vs dile, that's fine, but I'm not going to bash the other company or machine. I own and love our Hobbit, but it's one of the most scrutinized games along with GB on here. It's ridiculous how Hobbit is mentioned in every thread. I bet 20 years from now, Hobbit will be compared to the nib games of 2037.
I followed this thread to get information on SW. Comparisons are fine, but arguments about what company did what wrong is a waste of time. Op along with myself are only interested in SW opinions.

#71 2 years ago

I played a couple games of Star Wars at Pintastic between tournament games.

The art looked a little better in person than it does in pictures. I like the pro translite, I think it actually looks very good and fits the game well. The cabinet and playfield art are ok, nothing special but not terrible either. The game sounds great.

The physical play is fast and flowy like others have said. The ramp and orbit shots felt very smooth and easy to hit despite not being wide shots, and return to the flippers quickly. It had a good feel to it overall. I'm sure it will be a popular tournament game if the scoring is balanced.

The rules seem a bit complicated at first impression. It has lots of multipliers and crazy bonus values, plus tons of info on the screens to process. The button mashing to kill Tie Fighters mode seemed kind of silly. There were some nice clips and quotes from the movies though, so the casual player will like that.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Jack and others have said that at $6500 JJP didn't make any money on WOZ. On one of Kanedas recent podcast

This is where I stopped reading.

#73 2 years ago

Right now, I'm down to choosing between 2 Pros. Star Wars and Aerosmith. Tried both at Pintastic for the first time on Friday.

I have to say I'm a die hard Star Wars fan. I've got life size busts of Yoda and C-3PO, Hot Toys figures, t-shirts, mugs, autographs, etc. and was anxiously waiting to play a SW Pro at the show. When I walked up the machine, I was impressed. Looked much better in person than what I've seen in pictures. The backbox LCD animation and callouts were nothing short of amazing. The playfield seemed so bare boned, but the game had flow and played quick. When I walked away from the machine, I don't know if I got a great feel for the machine. I don't know. Something didn't click for me. I wanted to walk away from the machine and say "that's my next pin!", but I didn't have that feeling. I don't want to discount SW, but I'm leaning towards the Aerosmith and putting a SW Pro on the backburner (and maybe revisiting a purchase next year). Still haven't made up my mind.

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from Gravity:

Right now, I'm down to choosing between 2 Pros. Star Wars and Aerosmith. Tried both at Pintastic for the first time on Friday.
I have to say I'm a die hard Star Wars fan. I've got life size busts of Yoda and C-3PO, Hot Toys figures, t-shirts, mugs, autographs, etc. and was anxiously waiting to play a SW Pro at the show. When I walked up the machine, I was impressed. Looked much better in person than what I've seen in pictures. The backbox LCD animation and callouts were nothing short of amazing. The playfield seemed so bare boned, but the game had flow and played quick. When I walked away from the machine, I don't know if I got a great feel for the machine. I don't know. Something didn't click for me. I wanted to walk away from the machine and say "that's my next pin!", but I didn't have that feeling. I don't want to discount SW, but I'm leaning towards the Aerosmith and putting a SW Pro on the backburner (and maybe revisiting a purchase next year). Still haven't made up my mind.

AS Pro is a great game and comes across as offering more value / game compared to SW Pro. AS Pro is fast yet still has a very unique and interactive toy with the toy box. AS Pro also has metal ramps and metal habit rails.

One of the reasons why Star Wars plays so fast is due to its bare playfield...at $5k+ I don't think that's a good thing, lol. Star Wars looks awesome and that it's fun to play but I think more and more people are having a difficult time justifying its asking price.

One area where I think Star Wars tops AS is with code. Star Wars appears to offer 2-3x the number of modes as AS. The deep code, animation work, and audio package of SW helps increase the games "value factor" in my opinion.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I get tired of the whole JJP VS Stern debate.
Just be glad their are new pinballs from any manufacturers. None of them are perfect.

Bingo. Buy what you like.

There aren't any right or wrong answers

Plus I just listed out what I purchased in another SWLE in or out thread.

About $42k in LEs since TWD.

Now that's F ing crazy

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Bingo. Buy what you like.
There aren't any right or wrong answers
Plus I just listed out what I purchased in another SWLE in or out thread.
About $42k in LEs since TWD.
Now that's F ing crazy

That's kind of where I'm at. Thinking it's crazy how much money I have tied up and yet I want another. Lol. My next purchase, if any, will be my last for a very, very long time. I have nothing I want to sell, so I'm screwed. I'm narrowing it down to SW premium, jjp#4 or maybe AS pro. I want one that will last a long time depth wise.

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

how much was WoZ standard and how much is DI standard?
I thougt 6500 was just the preorder price on WOZle? Werent they 8500 retail?

I believe the first WOZ standards were $7000 when games started coming out but that was a while back. This was when you could get them before everyone that had a WOZ LE preordered got their machines.

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I believe the first WOZ standards were $7000 when games started coming out but that was a while back. This was when you could get them before everyone that had a WOZ LE preordered got their machines.

WOZ Standards were $6500 when they were first announced in Spring of 2012 (ECLE's were $7500 at that time) but after a few months the price of the standard was raised to $7K. The $7K price included either a shaker or invisiglass though. I remember because I was contemplating buying a standard at that time but I lost interest after the price increase.

#79 2 years ago

Wait, is this the "First impressions after playing SW" thread, or the "first impressions after seeing the MSRP on SW" thread? I was looking for the former.

The discussion of WOZ pricing history is right on point though.

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

and how much are DI standards?

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Yeah as far as high prices go it's all on JJP great company but every title they keep upping price if it wasn't for stern pros I wouldn't be buying any pins too expensive

Every time I hear Jack get blamed for this, I think of an abused wife getting blamed for her husband hitting her.

I realize that is a bad example to make here. But you are blaming Jack for Stern raising prices. That is just dumb. Stern raised Stern's prices. Jack gave us more, and it was priced higher. Stern gave us less, and it was priced higher. That's not Jack's doing. I love Stern games (another NIB Stern is shipping out to me today), but it is Stern that jacked their prices while giving me less.

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Every time I hear Jack get blamed for this, I think of an abused wife getting blamed for her husband hitting her.
I realize that is a bad example to make here. But you are blaming Jack for Stern raising prices. That is just dumb. Stern raised Stern's prices. Jack gave us more, and it was priced higher. Stern gave us less, and it was priced higher. That's not Jack's doing. I love Stern games (another NIB Stern is shipping out to me today), but it is Stern that jacked their prices while giving me less.

Agreed. Exactly what I was saying before comparing apples to oranges.

Anyway, those who played SW, did it feel at all like the game or shots could get stale quickly in home use, or does it feel like a long term game aside from initial excitement of LCD images and sounds?

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Who cares? What's your impression of SW so far now that you've played it?

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Agreed. Exactly what I was saying before comparing apples to oranges.
Anyway, those who played SW, did it feel at all like the game or shots could get stale quickly in home use, or does it feel like a long term game aside from initial excitement of LCD images and sounds?

I only played it for one night, but I was so addicted I played for 7 hours straight. Haha. I think it could last for me in the home just like GOT has. Maybe more as I think the I prefer the sounds and music and callouts on SW. Gameplay we will see, but it's promising for sure.

#85 2 years ago

Just played a few games this morning at Game Ex. My expectations were low so I guess I was impressed. At first blush PF seemed sort of bare but then the music started and Yoda started talking and the ball was flying around. It was pretty fun and I bet some neat toys will populate what seems bare for a really nice package on the Prem.

This is a perfect example of why theme matters so much. I wanted to keep playing so I could hear and see all the clips from the movie.

I like AS as a band and it was sitting almost right next to SW but I was more keen to play SW?

IMG_3946 (resized).JPG

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Once again somebody brings jjp into a stern thread. When will you all learn that jjp specifically set out to offer a better, more packed, high end pinball machine? Stern doesn't have the same way of thinking. Jjp offers a premium quality product and charges accordingly. Stern offers a standard product and the pro/premium models are priced accordingly. Neither is right or wrong. Each serves a purpose. Stern Le models are priced ridiculously high, but collectors will pay it. Why does everyone keep comparing a standard company price/product to a high end price/product? Get over it. Oh wait, it's pinside. Guess we're all getting used to comparing apples to oranges.
Only fair comparison really is a stern SW to past stern offerings.

I had no problem when JJP games were 6500$ but now at 9k the price is just ridiculous that is all

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Dialed In Standards are $8000 on JJP website. Nearly $3000 more than a SW pro.
Where are we going with this?

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

WOZ Standards were $6500 when they were first announced in Spring of 2012 (ECLE's were $7500 at that time) but after a few months the price of the standard was raised to $7K. The $7K price included either a shaker or invisiglass though. I remember because I was contemplating buying a standard at that time but I lost interest after the price increase.

Thanks Mike.

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Dialed In Standards are $8000 on JJP website. Nearly $3000 more than a SW pro.
Where are we going with this?

I was trying to figure out the pricing increase relative to each manufacturer.

So JJP went up $1000 in 4 years
Stern went up $1500 in the same time?

From what I see JJP actually has more in DI than WOZ did, yet SW has so much less than Xmen.

If you are comparing prices then it seems DI standard and Sterm Premium are the more similar to compare, no?

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Who cares? What's your impression of SW so far now that you've played it?

I will let you know in a couple days. I think it arrives on Tues or Wed? I am looking forward to it, but that is because I think SR is best when he does not put extra crap all over. I am especially happy that he did not block the outlanes with some sort of stupid cannon.

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

In my mind Dwight just took the crown from Lyman

Uh...hrm. Well, ok.

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was trying to figure out the pricing increase relative to each manufacturer.
So JJP went up $1000 in 4 years
Stern went up $1500 in the same time?
From what I see JJP actually has more in DI than WOZ did, yet SW has so much less than Xmen.
If you are comparing prices then it seems DI standard and Sterm Premium are the more similar to compare, no?

I will let you know in a couple days. I think it arrives on Tues or Wed? I am looking forward to it, but that is because I think SR is best when he does not put extra crap all over. I am especially happy that he did not block the outlanes with some sort of stupid cannon.

Will be interesting to see how the games compete against each other on location.
Would be nice if you put both at same location but I know that probably won't happen at least at first.
Any wear starting on that Dailed In yet?

#92 2 years ago

The point is, who is going to keep buying $8k plus games in large quantities?

Not me. Stern, JJP or otherwise.

Doesn't matter how much crap they stuff in it

The 7 years since I've been on here we have somehow gravitated towards justifying these MUCH higher prices

$6500 wozecle was a Ferrari back then

They simply can't make enough pins like TAF, 25,000, to be able to lower the price and make a decent profit

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Will be interesting to see how the games compete against each other on location.

Shouldn't be close. Star Wars should absolutely crush everything else on location for a while.

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Would be nice if you put both at same location but I know that probably won't happen at least at first.
Any wear starting on that Dailed In yet?

wont be going to same locations. StarWars will almost surely do very well, but that is a no brainer for theme.

Long term, I would be DI is the overall coindrop winner. Most Stern games have a higher high, but a quicker and sudden drop off. Some drop off in a matter of weeks. Whereas most JJP seem to follow the trend of classic B/W pins; not as high at the start but long term hold a much longer/better drop off.

SW could be enough of a theme to carry it for the long haul, but will take time to see. My belief is that theme will get you to drop the first coin, but code brings you back for more.

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

wont be going to same locations. StarWars will almost surely do very well, but that is a no brainer for theme.
Long term, I would be DI is the overall coindrop winner. Most Stern games have a higher high, but a quicker and sudden drop off. Some drop off in a matter of weeks. Whereas most JJP seem to follow the trend of classic B/W pins; not as high at the start but long term hold a much longer/better drop off.
SW could be enough of a theme to carry it for the long haul, but will take time to see. My belief is that theme will get you to drop the first coin, but code brings you back for more.

Your comparison seems to ignore Stern's new display, which was a major differentiator previously.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Your comparison seems to ignore Stern's new display, which was a major differentiator previously.

I'm hoping you are right! My woz was my best earner by far to date. Star wars goes out next month.

#97 2 years ago

The local barcade I go to has: MM, GOT, GB, STTNG, and a few other top 100 titles and then a crappy DE-SW (with 1/2 gi/inserts out)
Any guesses as to what is ALWAYS being played when I am in there???
Yup, you guessed right DE-SW - people even patiently waiting in line to get on it while MM just sits there unplayed....
So yeah, SW is going to KILL on route - at the end of the day, it is going to be good for pinball despite all of the bitching in this here forum.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Not a whole lot to compare to so far (BM66 a complete dud so no screen will help it and AS is still new enough that time will tell), but I dont think the screen is a big deal for route pinball. Heck, most people dont seem to even look at the screen.

SW will do well no matter the gameplay or bling (my guess as to why it is so stripped back) but code is all that really matters and unfortunately while I really like how Dwight codes, route players dont seem to care for it. Again, only time will tell.

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

As someone that plays Madison Pinball's games on location this is completely accurate in terms of the games I play. I've already put a bunch of plays on Dialed In and have played a lot of Alien and Full Throttle (when they had it) not only because these are great games but also because there aren't any other places to play these games in the area. The Stern games can be found at other locations or in friends' homes. I really appreciate that Madison Pinball gets games that are not as common to find. There's no doubt in my mind I'll play Dialed In more than Star Wars but that is largely because I have several friends' buying Star Wars for their homes and I don't know anyone local that's buying a Dialed In due mostly to cost. I think JJP makes great games but when their cheapest model costs the same as a Stern LE that simply makes it un-affordable to purchase for my home. I will happily support their games on route though

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

In my mind Dwight just took the crown from Lyman

umno (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 218.00
There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside