IMG_0315.GIF
umno (resized).jpg
IMG_3946 (resized).JPG
IMG_2017 (resized).JPG
76g6KQ.gif
IMG_0314.GIF
IMG_0313.GIF
20170708_171851 (resized).jpg
There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

I got a chance to play a handful of games on a Stern Star Wars Pro today at Pintastic. I'm curious to hear first impressions from those who have had a chance to play it. Here are mine:

The sounds, lighting and video are fantastic. It is a very impressive display and gets you immersed in the game. The artwork looks a lot better in real life than in the pictures. I normally don't like actors images on a playfield, but here, it gave it a sense of nostalgia while also feeling entirely fresh at the same time.

The game played fast, as one would expect from Stern and Ritchie. The layout was interesting, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it yet. The ramps were nothing special and seemed a bit too much tucked into the side of the game. I liked the mini-orbit on the left a lot. That shot felt good and fast, and it returned the ball to the flipper nicely. Hitting the tie fighter was fun, and I loved to see it bounce around after being hit. The bank of targets in front of the mini-screen was also fun to hit. Though, there, it was a definite risk vs. reward. Some modes seemed to require you to hit them, but they are a dangerous shot and send the ball back quickly towards the flippers and the drain. That said, there were no cheep drains down the middle. Each shot was set up well.

The Death Star on the Pro didn't seem to do anything other than light up. It still looked good, but I would love to try a Premium / LE some day. That might be the model to get.

It is hard to judge the code from a few plays. There seems like quite a bit there, with many modes and many different ways to play. The instructions for the modes were clear, and I never seemed to wonder what I should be shooting for.

Overall, I liked the game, but I'm on the fence a bit on the layout. I definitely want to see how the code develops and try a Premium/LE one day. It was a fun game that brought fond memories back while still feeling new. I'll be watching it.

#2 6 years ago

Oh cool, a Star Wars thread!

#3 6 years ago

Fast. Good light show. Very Bonus based game.

#4 6 years ago

Agreed Yoko...bound to be 46 of these.
But for now...after 3 days of live SW play, I can report first hand:

Game's a winner:
Poor art made up for with excellent display screen work.
Lots to do out of box, so the Code Police will be semi-satisfied.
The horseshoe shot is excellent - very fast back at you. The fighter bobble stationary cool too.
I don't like the 3 bank stationary...but the rest is fun with narrow shots.

#5 6 years ago

I played a couple of games at my distributors - loved the game - it was fast and fun with great light show and sound. I am not sure if the LCD on the playfield added anything for me - but I am not very good at pinball so it could be that it does and I just didn't know what it was telling me....

#6 6 years ago

I got to play The Empire Strikes Back version.
I was a little more impressed with the game than seeing it in pictures.
The HUGE set back for me was the $7200 price tag. While I realize maybe this is the new pricing for Stern, I can't see the justifacation.
Maybe if it were a wide body?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

The HUGE set back for me was the $7200 price tag. While I realize maybe this is the new pricing for Stern, I can't see the justifacation.

Say WHAT now?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

There's a lot in this post that I'm not following. Was a premium available for play somewhere?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

There's a lot in this post that I'm not following. Was a premium available for play somewhere?

There was just a pro model set up to play. The premium when available is $7300.

#10 6 years ago

I don't even know how this is possible. I wasn't aware they had even built a premium yet. I thought it was pros, then LEs, then premiums. How does one even exist outside of the Stern factory. Unless you were AT the Stern factory???

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

There was a pro and premium model set up to play.

Where was this premium of which you speak, at the Stern factory?

#12 6 years ago

I thought the first games for consumption were at Pintastic and they were pros???

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Krakatoa:

Where was this premium of which you speak, at the Stern factory?

Sorry for the confusion. Only pro models on display.
I asked for a price on the premium model. The backglass on the pro threw me off as it has a TESB theme on it.

20170708_171851 (resized).jpg20170708_171851 (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

Don't do that to me. I have a fragile heart.

The pro at Pintastic was incredibly fun.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Cool, thanks for clarifying.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I asked for a price on the premium model. The backglass on the pro threw me off as it has a TESB theme on it.

Recent podcast showed 3 guys earning 3, 7 and 9 billion point scores. That's around 1000 times the score shown above.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't even know how this is possible. I wasn't aware they had even built a premium yet. I thought it was pros, then LEs, then premiums. How does one even exist outside of the Stern factory. Unless you were AT the Stern factory???

I am not even sure a production Premium / LE model is even complete at the Stern factory. When I asked Jack Danger about streaming the Premium - He said it wouldn't be happening anytime soon. Seems for some reason it isn't ready yet. Not sure if it is parts or something else.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I am not even sure a production Premium / LE model is even complete at the Stern factory. When I asked Jack Danger about streaming the Premium - He said it wouldn't be happening anytime soon. Seems for some reason it isn't ready yet. Not sure if it is parts or something else.

Historically, there is a 6+ week minimum gap between Pro and LEs (and then Premiums).

Ghostbusters LE took longer than that, Pros in March 2016, and I took possession of my LE (first one delivered) June 30, 2016. So a little over 3 months that time.

No idea about SW, but earliest then would be mid to late August, and worst case scenario we're seeing LEs at Expo this year for the first time.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Don't do that to me. I have a fragile heart...

What does it take to push you over the edge?

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Recent podcast showed 3 guys earning 3, 7 and 9 billion point scores. That's around 1000 times the score shown above.

I wish I remembered my scores. I know I got Hoth Champion on one of the pins in the showroom, but I don't think I took any other high scores. Are those podcast scores normal or just a result of really really good players? If they are normal, I think pin score inflation is getting out of hand.

#21 6 years ago

Just put about 100-125 games on it.

So much fun!!! Light show is amazing, callouts and sounds are great.

Code seems very far along. Didn't see anything that was missing. Didn't make it to the wizard mode or one or two other modes though.

Very tricky to pick up on the rules, but we had it down after 40-50 games.

Very fun to use that multiplier. When you lock it into a big shot and nail that shot for a huge reward, it had us dancing around the game. No joke. Haha

Any questions about the code or rules fire away. I'll do my best. Talked with Dwight about it a bunch too.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Fast. Good light show. Very Bonus based game.

This is the one thing we couldn't quite wrap our heads around. All of a sudden we got 500 million in bonus and had no idea how. I think it might be similar to B66 and have no limit to the bonus multipliers.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I wish I remembered my scores. I know I got Hoth Champion on one of the pins in the showroom, but I don't think I took any other high scores. Are those podcast scores normal or just a result of really really good players? If they are normal, I think pin score inflation is getting out of hand.

From us playing a lot last night we only had one game over a billion. Since then in about 10 games today I've broke a billon 4 times with my high being around 3.3.

Once you get a hang of the multipliers like GOT your scores will jump up and up. This thing drains way easier than GOT imo though.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Talked with Dwight about it a bunch too.

Must be nice.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Those were top ranked players plus 'harness Jim' from Stern, but I presume they could all better their own scores and maybe reach that level on a semi regular basis. For that reason, current base award values should be divided by 10 so 1.5Billion point awards don't happen. Instead a more respectable 150Mil could be earned if multiplier was near 40. That would lower the top scores and 1B would be a nearly impossible benchmark to achieve. Scores of a billion are hard to read on the display and I don't even know if they can accommodate another digit when 10B is reached. Better to cut scores now.

#26 6 years ago

Those were top ranked players plus 'harness Jim' from Stern, but I presume they could all better their own scores and maybe reach that level on a semi regular basis. For that reason, current base award values should be divided by 10 so 1.5Billion point awards don't happen. Instead a more respectable 150Mil could be earned if multiplier was near 40. That would lower the top scores and 1B would be a nearly impossible benchmark to achieve. Scores of a billion are hard to read on the display and I don't even know if they can accommodate another digit when 10B is reached. Better to cut scores now.

I seriously don't get this. What does it matter if the score is 10 or 10,000,000? It's all relative and we all play by the same rule set. Played No Fear yesterday with my daughter and she was proud of her 200,000,000 score. I wasn't about to tell her that it wasnt that great. High scores are good for non pinheads.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I seriously don't get this. What does it matter if the score is 10 or 10,000,000? It's all relative and we all play by the same rule set. Played No Fear yesterday with my daughter and she was proud of her 200,000,000 score. I wasn't about to tell her that it wasnt that great. High scores are good for non pinheads.

But it is just bad design in this case. Eleven digits are needed to display a score of 10 Bil. When you have a score that high, it is probably not displayed on LCD correcty or even legibly, without first rescaling the current font size. Plenty of room to reduce scoring to a another level if you look lower.

There are other reasons, this change would effect strategy, too. Currently the game allows huge scores for completing any mode and from earning jackpots/supers. If all modes wins had a lowered possible score, points earned other than from beating the mode become more important. Also it emphasizes playing more incomplete modes.

There probably more than these three reasons but a simple change makes things better. If don't like ten, how by x 15 or x 20? Scores are so high now, it's borderline ludicrous.
U

IMG_0313.GIFIMG_0313.GIF
IMG_0314.GIFIMG_0314.GIF

#28 6 years ago

Cose is not finished yet - when I played it I was told that light saber battle mode and the video mode also both had yet to be coded in and they were sort of "grey-ed" out and you could not select them

#29 6 years ago

I posted that picture to show TESB backglass, not the scores. The game is so new, I wouldn't know what a high score is yet.
I was just excited to see the machine in person.

#30 6 years ago

Played the game at the show and wasn't impressed with it at all ... bad art, nothing that blew me away on the play-field. Very disappointed and feel that Stern is just banking on the license and figure that it will sell so just create a simple lay out and put some great animations that blow everyone away. Don't get me wrong, the animations where cool but wasn't able to really enjoy watching it when I played, when I did I just lost the ball (as the game plays super fast). I guess if you're watching someone play then you can enjoy better. Honestly, I wish JJP would of gone after this license as IMO would have had a better chance to actually have more in it then just a pretty display.

I get the sense that now Stern has an LCD in the games, they feel that they don't have to really put a huge effort into the toys, etc. on the play-field.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from AttilaK:

Honestly, I wish JJP would of gone after this license as IMO would have had a better chance to actually have more in it then just a pretty display.

They would have faced the exact same challenges Stern had with licensing. And it certainly wouldn't be a fast playing game with flow.

Rob

#32 6 years ago

It's fast and brutal. One funny bounce and you're done.

It's basically mostly ramp and loop shots. However, there are a lot of misses due to the narrow openings for them. It still seems like a very empty game to me (especially compared to prior games from Stern, as well as other new titles from other manufacturers).

The modes didn't really make much sense to me, although that might have partially been because I couldn't look up at the screen too often since the ball would be gone and drained if you even blinked. I didn't understand what the arrow inserts in front of the ramps were supposed to indicate--there was one without an "X" and one with an "x" and they did different things. I didn't get the logic behind why one was blinking or off or on or whatever they happened to be doing.

Star wars music, star wars call-outs, and thankfully, the hillbilly voice did *not* find its way into this pin. The display had clips from the original trilogy, new graphics specific for the game, and lots of options to select from various menus (though this goes back to some of it not making sense and how it was/wasn't tied to modes).

Will some star wars & pinball enthusiasts be happy with this? Absolutely. Will there be critics? Absolutely.

For what it is, I think the price should be significantly lower. But, the licensed theme is what will probably carry this pin.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

They would have faced the exact same challenges Stern had with licensing. And it certainly wouldn't be a fast playing game with flow.
Rob

Not everyone wants a fast playing game with an incredible amount of flow.

to me, it's just a very static fan layout. There's not a lot of dynamic shots you can make. Once you learn the areas to aim for, I imagine it will get old quick because of its repetitive nature (partly why I'm not too interested in No Fear). This game will probably be pretty easy to virtualize because of that.

I like games that you can wander around a little bit on and explore with the ball.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

For what it is, I think the price should be significantly lower. But, the licensed theme is what will probably carry this pin.

I'm curious, what kind of fantasy land price do you think this pro should sell for?

#35 6 years ago

The same fantasy land price for the BM 66 just instead of cheaper make it higher

Quoted from iceman44:

I'm curious, what kind of fantasy land price do you think this pro should sell for?

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

This was exactly my fear. Watching every video out there, I am trying to be amazed. I'm not fully seeing it. The theme, the sounds, the clips will all sell this title, and also make everybody somewhat more accepting of it's bare layout. Honestly, if this was anything other than star wars, would people be buying it? I've heard people comparing it to AS and it's simple layout. AS is far easier on the eyes for starters giving it more love. AS toy box is awesome. The layout isn't much different from Metallica, and the rules are great and easier to understand. Upper playfield adds to the layout. I guess I'm not sure how people are saying AS is a simple layout compared to sw. I do think the hyper loop on premium le will help a lot, but I'm not sure that it adds enough for the price. I'm still anxiously waiting to see the hyper loop, but so far, I'm having to work at liking it. Of all themes, I never thought I'd have to work to try and like the game. Still holding out for hope though.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's fast and brutal. One funny bounce and you're done.

I got the same from the videos and I read that as a terrible "family" keeper game...and also a terrible game for people that suck...like me

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

This was exactly my fear. Watching every video out there, I am trying to be amazed. I'm not fully seeing it. The theme, the sounds, the clips will all sell this title, and also make everybody somewhat more accepting of it's bare layout. Honestly, if this was anything other than star wars, would people be buying it?

I would have liked to see the ball diverted into the pop bumpers a bit more. Does anyone know the criteria for when the balls make full orbit or get stopped at the top?

Rob

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I would have liked to see the ball diverted into the pop bumpers a bit more. Does anyone know the criteria for when the balls make full orbit or get stopped at the top?
Rob

Seems to be like GOT. Combos or certain modes.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

This was exactly my fear. Watching every video out there, I am trying to be amazed. I'm not fully seeing it. The theme, the sounds, the clips will all sell this title, and also make everybody somewhat more accepting of it's bare layout. Honestly, if this was anything other than star wars, would people be buying it? I've heard people comparing it to AS and it's simple layout. AS is far easier on the eyes for starters giving it more love. AS toy box is awesome. The layout isn't much different from Metallica, and the rules are great and easier to understand. Upper playfield adds to the layout. I guess I'm not sure how people are saying AS is a simple layout compared to sw. I do think the hyper loop on premium le will help a lot, but I'm not sure that it adds enough for the price. I'm still anxiously waiting to see the hyper loop, but so far, I'm having to work at liking it. Of all themes, I never thought I'd have to work to try and like the game. Still holding out for hope though.

The playfield doesn't feel that bare when you play it. I played both Star Wars Pro and AS Pro for the first time. Star Wars was the one I enjoyed more. That said, my biggest misgiving about Star Wars right now is the placement of the ramps. They are long shots and completely tucked into the sides. They didn't give me that cool feeling to hit that most other ramps give me. So, I'm not sure.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

76g6KQ.gif76g6KQ.gif

#42 6 years ago

I only have a couple of words to say about STAR WARS and that is THE KING is BACK

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I only have a couple of words to say about STAR WARS and that is THE KING is BACK

Do you like it better than Aerosmith? I know you were big on that game!

#44 6 years ago

Well that's def la la land thinking. This isn't 1990.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Do you like it better than Aerosmith? I know you were big on that game!

Is it better then Aerosmith can't say yet need more plays on it, but loving the code and the shots on it, because it is a classic steve Ritchie screamer with amazing code. In my mind Dwight just took the crown from Lyman

#46 6 years ago

Is there a gameplay video that I can watch clearly on my cell phone? Please give link if so.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Is there a gameplay video that I can watch clearly on my cell phone? Please give link if so.

Look for deadflip on twitch. I heard they did a stream.

#48 6 years ago

It looks really good in the stream. Yes the art is a bit bland and the pf sparse but the sounds, lights and video make up for it. The theme should do really well on location too. I surprised myself by ordering one.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from clg:

It looks really good in the stream. Yes the art is a bit bland and the pf sparse but the sounds, lights and video make up for it. The theme should do really well on location too. I surprised myself by ordering one.

Why Clg? You like making money don't you?

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Star wars music, star wars call-outs, and thankfully, the hillbilly voice did *not* find its way into this pin.

Anyone else think the callouts by the guy with an english accent sound like a poor mans Patrick Stewart?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 21.50
5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-first-impressions-from-those-who-have-played-it/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.