20230222_084653 (resized).jpg
20230222_084538 (resized).jpg
20230222_084535 (resized).jpg
20230222_084134 (resized).jpg
20230222_084126 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #902 New LE/Premium Code readme - v0.89 Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #903 New Pro Code V0.89 ready Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #3340 How to adjust the ball guide to mitigate drains. Posted by Schwaggs (6 years ago)

Post #4911 Summary of shots needed for modes. Posted by Hoochoo (5 years ago)

Post #12080 Upgraded coil stops Posted by Crispy77 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8485 4 years ago
Quoted from HC2016:

Got a tech question about the right flipper . Playing the game for about 2 hours and I’m noticing the right flipper isn’t coming back to its resting position. It’s starts out with a pause , and as I play more it actually sticks in the active position. This is only when the game is in constant use after a few hours . I know that right flipper gets a lot of hold during the play to make the good shots . Could a coil be getting overheated ? Thanks in advance for any input .

Very likely a broken coil stop. Stern is notorious for this. Pinball life has very good replacements that are more durable:

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html

#8487 4 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

I just got a premium and love it. Today, I added a shaker from pinball life and made sure the settings were on "MAXIMAL". I'm surprised that not much on the playfield seems to activate the shaker and when it does shake, it's maybe for a split second.
Is this as good as it gets with the shaker? Is there maybe a code update that adds more shaking with hitting more targets and shots?

Yeah, the shaker support seems to be very basic. It'd be nice to have some attention paid to integrating it with the game more.

#8489 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

It activates during the LCD asteroid game. Hitting the tie fighter. Blowing up the DS. Speeder bike chase? Can’t think of much else. Dwight didn’t seem to integrate much in the way of shaker, since the LE’s did not come with one, nor any of the other models either. Much of an afterthought it seems.

Lightsaber hits?
Rolling intensity for the hyperspace track?
Feedback when you need to re-up the multiplier instead of just a sound?
Feedback when hitting a target that explodes a tie fighter?

There's a lot more things that could likely be done to make it a more robust implementation.

#8499 4 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

The more I play this, the more annoyed I get! LOL. I'm sure all this has been covered in the last 170+ pages of this post BUT...
If I shoot the left side of the small horseshoe, the ball rockets out the right side and right down the middle. A pretty high % of autoplunged balls result in a drain down the left outlane and a ball save BUT the saved ball gets plunged right back into the left outlane again and there is no 2nd ball save. Many times, the tatooine saucer exits fast right down the center. I noticed there's even a ball save for this shot! LOL. Who would design SDTM shots like this into a game & then remedy it later with a ball save?!?
Many times after a shot, the ball comes back so fast that when trying to catch it on the left flipper, it jumps over the flipper and drains. I've also had shots jump up from the playfield onto the left wire form enough times that it's obviously a design issue somewhere.
The shaker is not used enough IMO. It doesn't even shake on a "danger" tilt.

One thing I've learned very quickly is that Star Wars is VERY sensitive to setup. Literally a half turn of a leg leveler can make a difference. It sounds like your setup is just a little off. Start by making sure your pitch is 6.5 degrees, then adjust small amounts from there, even if your level shows even left to right.

#8500 4 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

It does do that. Also, I like the slight shake whenever you hit a mode shot. There's quite a bit of subtle shaker action. You might not even notice some of it but turn the shaker off and you certainly will miss it.

Yeah, I have noticed that a LOT of the shaker action is what I would call too subtle. It'd be nice if there was a "volume" setting for shaker motors that was more precise than minimal/maximal. It would not be that hard to implement in code. Strange no one has done it yet.

#8505 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yeah...all these issues can be addressed with a few guide rail tweaks. Might take some fiddling around, but it can be done and isn't that difficult.

I was able to get it working right with just leg leveler adjustments and changing the 3/4" rubber at the exit of the shooter lane. The factory one was a little "fat" and was affecting the ball direction at launch making it impossible to hit the right two targets.

The pitch and absolute level of this machine is more critical than any machine I've ever seen. It's an extremely fine line between entertaining and extrement with this one.

#8508 4 years ago
Quoted from HC2016:

Thanks for the help ... I’ll pop the hood this weekend to ck out those parts ... just seems weird it only happens when game has been playing for a long tine ... first hour of gameplay no problems with the flippers .

If it's not the coil stop, it may be a coil going bad that is expanding into the inside from heat buildup, which would explain why it gets worse the longer you play it. But I still think coil stop is the biggest suspect.

#8511 4 years ago

Had some requests for light color brackets for STAR WARS, but didn't have a machine to measure out the white inserts until recently. Now that I do, I've made three sets of insert brackets to colorize the white inserts on STAR WARS. They'll be in the Pinmonk store and at pinmonk.com shortly.

EDIT: They're in the pinside pinmonk store here now:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk
(and on pinmonk.com for international orders)

The FORCE blue gradient/Lightsaber Duel Red&Blue duotone bracket
FORCE-inserts-small (resized).jpgFORCE-inserts-small (resized).jpg
Force_Bracket_sml (resized).jpgForce_Bracket_sml (resized).jpg

Character mode brackets
Star_Wars_Character_Bracket_small (resized).jpgStar_Wars_Character_Bracket_small (resized).jpg
bracket-picture_sml (resized).jpgbracket-picture_sml (resized).jpg

Jedi and Victory multiball brackets
multiball-inserts-small (resized).jpgmultiball-inserts-small (resized).jpg

#8514 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Cool! Just kind of funny though...heaven for bid there are any white inserts on a game! Lol.

White inserts in moderation are okay. There are still some left on STAR WARS even after doing all these. The left spinner flasher insert, for example, which I wouldn't change. But the biggest problem for me is that too much white in the LED era is just too glaring in a dark room. Putting insert brackets on them cuts the light to a more even level with all the other inserts (and sometimes looks much cooler, like the FORCE bracket blue gradient progression turned out this time).

#8518 4 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

I debated placing color character inserts in the Star Wars. Those photos make me pause and consider them again. I'll bet they look great in the Comic-Art edition.
BTW. Your inserts for Iron Maiden are perfect and a must have. Most everything you do is awesome.

Thanks for the compliment on the maiden insert brackets!

I try to carefully consider color, and if I can't make it better, I leave it alone. Case in point is the long Ghostbusters ghost counter stack. I have the bracket made, and have for a long time, but I just can't get a color gradient progression that looks GOOD, so I've just left it white.

#8520 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

I stopped into the Woodshop at McMenamin's in Seattle area (Bothell) to play Stranger Things on my way home the other day. I was surprised to see a SW Pro Comic Art version in the 5-pin lineup. I played a few games on SW and was surprised that I liked the Comic Art more than I thought I would. It brightens up the playfield. To me it seems like it made the Endor ramp slightly harder to see and hit, but that could be a Pro vs. Premium/LE difference (since Death Star is harder on Prem/LE, maybe Endor is easier).
Doesn't make me want to trade in my LE for Comic, but good for Stern in offering the different art.
(Extra photo to show lineup for anyone in area that wants to check it out. The 2 games I played were set up fairly well, but the negative about the Woodshop is that it's noisy and the volume on the games is low or possibly off.[quoted image][quoted image]

What software was Stranger Things running in the wild? Some ops are great at staying up to date, and some never update a pin after putting it out...

#8522 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Curious as to why operators seem to be lax in updating code, don't they equate the best version of the game with more profit...see this on LEs and Limited Editions alot... Why even have those versions then?

Least-earning thing they likely have out (cranes, pool, jukeboxes, etc earn way more) and the bigger operators are only putting them out to satisfy an agreement with the location to have pinball of a certain level in the mix.

#8526 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Why is that though? Maybe long term $ would increase by putting the best out there...I know I don't continue to put money into a machine if it's old code

Most casuals have no idea. They drop their money and bat the ball around.

#8528 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Sorry, this was the first time I played Stranger Things, and I didn't look at the software version.

You can't just leave it there! What was your experience with the game?

#8530 4 years ago

I had unexpectedly more immediate demand for the STAR WARS Force gradient/duotone bracket than I expected, so none of the orders for those and the other two STAR WARS color brackets went out this week while I made more FORCE ones and tweaked the duotone insert. I have enough of all of them made now and the orders from earlier in the week when I announced them will ship tomorrow.
FORCE-inserts-small (resized).jpgFORCE-inserts-small (resized).jpgForce_Bracket_sml (resized).jpgForce_Bracket_sml (resized).jpg

#8532 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

You do excellent work! Eagerly awaiting all 3 of mine ...Thank you for the update

Thanks for the understanding. I wasn't super-happy with the duotone insert viewing angle, and once I realized more than I expected to initially ship were going out (so it would be hard to fine tune them in the field if I wanted to make it better), I decided to use the time while making more brackets to fine-tune it so it was easier to see both colors when it was lit up. Stern only used one tiny LED for that whole giant insert, so even light distribution when a filter is cutting some of it and there are two colors at literally opposite ends of the visible spectrum fighting for the output from that one little LED was a challenge.

I got it, though. Looks really cool from any angle now.

#8536 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

This is a must have! I made sure i had one ready for my pro before my game even showed up!

I was really impressed with how the satellite spotlight reflector replacements from Mod Couple really upped the theming of the playfield, and very inexpensively:

https://themodcouplepinball.com/collections/stern-star-wars-custom-mod-collection/products/star-wars-custom-satellite-reflectors-mod-set

#8543 4 years ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

Hi! I didn’t think the R2 topper would integrate well with the comic version so I stole an animatronic Yoda from my sons room and added green LED’s from Comet Pinball to spruce him up a bit.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's a cool idea, but it seems much too small for the area.

Maybe one (or opposing) lightsaber(s) on a stand would look cool...

obi-wan-lightsaber (resized).jpgobi-wan-lightsaber (resized).jpg
#8545 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Loving the new color inserts... Thanks vireland[quoted image]

Awesome, thanks for posting a pic of your install! I'm interested to see what these look like on a comic art one, too.

#8549 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

I personally think it wahses out the contrast on the Playfield. To my opinion the bright whites really set the scene for the other colors. Especially the FORCE-area suffers from being dulled down. More to that on the photo above the pink doesnt match. I'm glad you all like it, tho. That's what is great about pinball - everyone gets to do or not do whatever he or she wants

I wasn't super-sure I'd want the character inserts colored, but once I did it, I wouldn't go back. Also, the Leia one is more purple in real life. It photographs pinkish.

The FORCE bracket is designed to complement the playfield art with the dark to light shades of blue transition. So is the duotone lightsaber duel insert, with blue on the bottom side matching the playfield that transitions to red on the top side that flows into the red lightsaber on the playfield.

Stern LED whites drive me crazy on pinball machines because they're just too bright in a dark room, so the biggest benefit for me is cutting that glare a little with the light filters. Ghostbusters was WAY worse in that regard, but STAR WARS has some of that, too.

#8551 4 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Dude, responding defensively to all postings about your stuff makes you seem desperate.

Sorry it came off that way. I was explaining the thought process behind the design choices.

#8559 4 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Only Boba Fett stood between me and the emperor and I blew it. Such a heartbreaker.

That boba fett sequence trips me up, too. You're not alone!

#8561 4 years ago

What's your best score for the asteroid minigame? I finally got a perfect with full turbo all the way and 40x multiplier. 723 million for that one mode!

#8565 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The video mode increases in value each time you start it. I believe level 3 is the highest value.

I think it was the first time because it gets too hard to get a perfect with turbos on solid the second and third time.

#8571 4 years ago
Quoted from agreen:

Sweet - thanks. Yeah a shaker is on my list for sure.

The Stern art blades for the regular Star Wars Premium are very nice, I haven't seen the comic ones in real life, but they look nice, too. I would consider adding Stern art blades to your list.

https://shop.sternpinball.com/collections/accessories/products/star-wars-comic-book-inside-art-blades

Use the wet method for install, it's very forgiving.

#8579 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

That thickness can be problem for some cabinets. I wound up using some Pingraffix blades and they are tough but thin enough to not cause any interference.

I've never had an issue installing Stern art blades on any Stern machine due to the thickness.

#8582 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

The cab on mine is very close fitting. Hardly enough room for the ones I installed. Varies.

Close-fitting, but there IS enough room.

#8584 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Not always. On my Star Wars the playfield rubs the sides of the cab when lifting. Any side blades would be destroyed pretty fast, Stern or otherwise. Other pins I have no problem.

It rubs on both sides? I've never seen a Stern pf that tight on both sides.

#8593 4 years ago
Quoted from Exeter:

Hey everyone! Just got my Pro a few weeks ago and having quite the trouble with the right sling. This thing just keeps throwing the ball into the left out lane. It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen before. I’ve played this game on location at a number of different places and nothing like this has ever happened. Any ideas?

Adjust sling power to SOFT and see what you get. I don't think you can stop it completely. Also check your balance left to right and your pitch. Star Wars is EXTREMELY sensitive to this, more than any other pin I've ever set up.

#8596 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You can't adjust sling power, can you? I thought it just had 'normal/high' for all coils?

Oh, right, I forgot Star Wars doesn't have granular control.

You get Soft, Normal, Hard coil pulse power. I'd set it to Soft. Fixed the original post.

#8607 4 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

Thought about it...[quoted image]

That light gap between the SW topper and the head drives me nuts. It really should have shipped with a gasket, especially for what it cost!

#8611 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Agreed - Takes about 2 mins to fix however. I also think a $400 ColorDMD should come with a gasket also...

At least one's AVAILABLE for that...

#8612 4 years ago
Quoted from Exeter:

So how do I adjust the coil strength? I’ve through the menus forward and backward and can’t find a way to change the coil settings

Look for coil pulse. You have a choice of Soft, normal, hard.

#8614 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

There is only a slight difference between the settings.

Something like 5%, but often times, that's all you need.

#8620 4 years ago
Quoted from No_Pickles:

Loving the new update to Pinball Browser!
Thanks again, Oga. I was getting really annoyed by Yoda.
Your software helped make the game so much more enjoyable for me!

I'm waiting for the person that replaces the clips with stuff from Spaceballs.

#8632 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

My understanding is that the SD card is written in linux. Does Pinball Browser do all that is needed to rewrite the card files?

It works fine.

#8635 4 years ago
Quoted from mthirkell:

HELP - my hyper loop shoots the ball only one time around and then it rolls back down to the flippers. Any idea whats wrong?

Is your exit gate on the upper right of the loop always open, or does it open when the ball nears it on the first revolution?

1 week later
#8650 3 years ago

Got a 1.48 Billion Hyperspace Hurryup in the game I just did where I finally beat the Emperor (and destroyed the Death Star before that). I have no idea how I got such a huge hurryup - there's still a lot of stuff I don't understand about scoring interactions and stacks on this game. I know I was 40x, but I've been that before with Hyperspace Hurryup and didn't have anywhere near that.

Also, I liked the final battle, but it seemed like it needs a LOT more callouts to make it epic, and once you win, it needed some celebratory footage or animation or something once the Emperor is toast and Vader is good again. Just wrapping around to pick a new character was kind of anti-climactic. Hopefully Dwight gets some time to go back with his team and polish that up a little.

But yeah, for Star Wars, Premium/LE is DEFINITELY the best experience. 100% sure of that now.

#8653 3 years ago
Quoted from Hoochoo:

Yep, shooting the LO or RR will add 3.125mil to the Hyperspace hurry-up value, at almost any time during the game, even when the LO or RR isn't lit. You can max out the value to 100mil for a potentially crazy 4 Billion points with a 40x multiplier.

Wow, thanks for that tip. It's another layer to the game I wasn't aware of. The rules are packed.

#8660 3 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

I'll take that bonus score!
Final score was 20B on 3 balls 1 extra, outlanes open wide and hard settings for stacking/multiballs[quoted image]

WOW, that's GREAT.

#8678 3 years ago
Quoted from grimboys:

Do you think with all the stern code updates being released Star Wars might get one too?

Still a few bugs in it, so I would hope at least a bugfix.

And maybe, MAYBE the approval to put Midnight Madness back in...

#8682 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I never knew it had a midnight madness. When did it get removed?

Yeah, Midnight Madness is Dwight's thing (check out Munsters - terrible game, AWESOME Midnight Madness mode theme integration).

It was removed around .92. Unfortunately both .91 and .92 were blowing up node boards, so even reloading them to check it out is dangerous.

Fortunately, Canadian Arcade recorded it when they posted their 0.91 update:

#8684 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

That's really cool! Thanks for the link. I'm a new Premium Comic owner and I never knew there used to be a Midnight Madness mode. It would be awesome to have that back.

Dwight was pretty mum when I asked what happened and if it would be back a while ago. Just said it was removed, so I'm assuming it was an approvals thing, but I can't imagine why there was a problem with it. Licensing is weird sometimes.

#8689 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

We will have to agree to disagree on Munsters. It is far from a terrible game in my opinion.

Fortunately I had a route full of players to reinforce the fact that Munsters is terrible. It's the lowest-earning game we ever put out. Honeymoon earning period was less than a week. Players *hated* it. I don't blame them, there's nothing there. It's slightly more feature packed than the original batman '66 code that was an abomination and took more than 18 months for Lyman to fix. Fastest in-to out time of a pin on the route I helped with. Less than a month before it was pulled.

But the Midnight Madness theme integration on it is probably the best Dwight has ever done.

#8691 3 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Midnight Madness should have been the victory laps mode once you’ve defeated the emperor.

I'd prefer young Darth Vader's force ghost getting beaten or things dropped on him whenever you made a shot until he disappeared and was replaced with the ACTUAL one from the original cut.

#8693 3 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Did anyone at Stern ever comment on Midnight Madness being removed? I can’t recall if anyone ever said anything about why it was taken out or if there were plans to put it back in.

It just disappeared. From the way Dwight answered, I don't think it's coming back, or maybe not for a R2 Topper amount of time.

1 week later
#8706 3 years ago
Quoted from BaggerVance:

Can anyone comment on this? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one. My distributor told me to get the Pro because the Death Star shot is so frustrating to hit consistently on the Premium. The cost is not an issue and I'd probably add some extras to the pro if I go that way. I hear the Hyper loop is so fun tho?? I've never played the Premium only the Pro and don't wanna trade it later? Vance

It's a fun game. The hyperloop shot is DIFFERENT, and you will not be able to make it reliably AT FIRST, but once you have a few dozen games on it, you should be able to hit it pretty consistently, if by no other means than by watching your right flipper and hitting it when the ball is almost at the tip.

Played SW Pro first and thought it royally sucked. Held onto that opinion until this year when I brought in a Premium just to make color brackets for it. Ended up liking the game a LOT (and finishing it). No question, if you're buying a Star Wars, Premium/LE all the way.

EDIT: That's more like it. I was waiting for my dingleberry thumbs down.

#8740 3 years ago
Quoted from coloradodan:

I have noticed that a lot of times when I make the hyperspace/ death star shot the ball won't stick, it will bounce off something and will roll back down the ramp. Not consistently but more often than it should. Shots that should count don't stick. Anyone else notice this? Are there any adjustments to help with it? (Premium table)

Star Wars is EXTREMELY sensitive to setup pitch and being level left to right. More than any Stern I've ever played. It has to be EXACTLY level left to right and the pitch at 6.5 to work well. Even a smidge off and the game plays noticibly crappier. Super tight tolerances.

#8748 3 years ago
Quoted from coloradodan:

I noticed my playfield is warped just a hair to the right. You can tell when the glass is off, and you can press down the playfield, the left is slightly raised. I never bothered, since this helps balls not go straight down the middle, but is this an issue? I bought this new in box, it should be under warranty if that's an issue.

Are you in a humid area? Is it in the garage, or a temp controlled environment. Wood reacts to the environment. It may not have left the factory that way.

That said, depending on how bad the warping is, you MAY be able to get it replaced, but Stern has denied some pretty bad warped PFs in the past, so help from your distributor may be needed if they also deem it bad enough to make a claim. It would be a good thing to discuss with your distributor if it's bad enough.

#8751 3 years ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

Just unboxed my premium and the hyperspace fork ramp is not going below the playfield enough when in the down position. Balls are getting stuck behind it and will not clear even after ball search. Is there an easy fix for this? I’m sure it’s been addressed already in this thread but I was unable to find the answer. Thanks.
Also, is there a mystery eject power setting or adjustment I can make for the balls going SDTM from that kick out?[quoted image]

One or more of these three switches highlighted in green under the PF on the ramp assembly is registering that the ramp is fully down too soon. Bend them a little bit until the ramp is fully down instead of before it's actually all the way down.
SW-switches.jpgSW-switches.jpg

#8769 3 years ago
Quoted from BaggerVance:

This pin is a week old and I finally beat it up a little.[quoted image]

The billions are exciting. You'll be in the teens before long if you keep at it.

1 week later
#8805 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

Does anyone know where to get a button plate, ive seen the one with the falcon and the tie fighter but don't love it. Any other options?

Cointaker has this one:

cointaker_button_plate.jpgcointaker_button_plate.jpg
#8807 3 years ago

That is the best one. Wonder if there are any left after 2 years...

action-button-plate (resized).jpgaction-button-plate (resized).jpg
#8826 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Yeah, I wish there was a way to use both a plate and the button mod.

Can't you just shave 1/8" off the button mod bottom?

#8829 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I don't have the button mod, so I'm not sure the circumference and whether it would then overlap etching on the various plates.

The "May the force be with you" plate seems to have plenty of space around the button area to not have overlap.

1 week later
#8834 3 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Recently acquired a Premium, love the theme and speed of the game but damn, the out lane ball drains are absurd. I moved the posts to the narrowest setting and am considering beefing up the silicone rings on the lane guide posts. Anyone have any experience with this and recommend a size? Doesn't seem like many options out there so want to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Loosen your tilt a little so you have a better chance of saving some of the drains.

1 week later
#8870 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I really like the overall look of the comic art blades but there is a large explosion on the right side that takes up a lot of real-estate. The fix for me was to add a couple diecast ships (oddly the entire right side of the playfield is void of toys which seems unbalanced in my opinion). The X-Wing really makes the art pop. It integrates well.
[quoted image][quoted image]

X-Wing would benefit from a black acrylic color-wash dilution to age it. Would really make better contrast, too.

#8875 3 years ago

I might try to knock down that fatory fresh look. I'll destress it a little and report back.

As long as the acrylic paint is diluted and wet you can rinse off mistakes and try again. Might want to have a toothbrush handy to clean lines if they get too dark or globby.

#8886 3 years ago

My new ships just made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs. Now they have some mileage on them.

That's the ticket. Helped a LOT.

If you wanted to really go crazy you could lightly sand some of the red and yellow parts a bit to weather them.

#8892 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

How did you weather them?

Usually it's just black acrylic paint, diluted with water to make a wash, then apply to taste. You can wipe areas with a cloth or papertowel to thin out the effect. As long as it's still wet, you can rinse it and start over. Once it dries, it's set.

#8897 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

So it isn’t a kit to be bought. Just mix some black acrylic with water and lightly brush where you want it?

You can use different methods to apply the wash of diluted watery acrylic, brush, cloth, sponge, etc. Each changes the way the application looks a little. You don't have to be super-precise with a brush, and if you make a mistake (too heavy or something) just wash it off while it's still wet and use a brush to clean the cracks. It's pretty forgiving.

1 week later
#8909 3 years ago
Quoted from HC2016:

I’m noticing groups of LEDS are not working .
No Hoth , no Force drop targets , no destroy the Death Star and many more . Went thru test mode and they’re def out . Could it be LEDS just out or is it a board problem that would need replacing ? Thanks in advance

Reseat the connectors for the boards and go from there.

#8918 3 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Thought i'd share some of the mods I just installed. This is a tough pin to mod. Not a shortage of SW toys to find but to make them fit and maintain the same scale and theme was challenging.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

X-Wing and Falcon definitely need a black acrylic color wash to age them a bit. They look too shiny and new.

#8933 3 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

Finally get to “officially” join the club! loving the game and haven’t even updated to latest code. Very low use and only on code 0.93! Exciting times![quoted image]

Play Midnight Madness before you update the code so you can at least experience it. It was removed right after 0.93, I think, and is really missed. Xaqery made it sound like it's never coming back, which sucks. MM is one of the best things he does. Munsters, for all it's laundry list of flaws, has probably THE best Midnight Madness mode he's ever done.

Pretty sure 0.93 still had it, but maybe only 0.91 and 0.92 did. At least check. The Star Wars one is good. Experience it before you upgrade.

If you don't have it, you can at least see what it was like here:

#8935 3 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Asmuch as it suckstonothave MM. So NOT playbeodreupdating. the early Software versions, had fried some node boards...

Yes, it's a small risk, but given that it came with 0.93 and didn't blow up, I think the risk isn't great.

But on reading back, I think Midnight Madness was gone by 0.93 anyway.

#8949 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Courious ...What is your pitch setting ?

Looks like somewhere between Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera

1 week later
#8992 3 years ago
Quoted from rickyrooroo:

Anyone know why during Hyperspace multi-ball I can only have 2 balls going around the Hyperspace loop? I feed two balls in there and they just go around a dozen times or so and no other ball kicks out...then it spits out the 2 balls for a 2 ball multi-ball.
thoughts?

You have to add more by hitting the ramp into the deathstar before the time runs out and it empties the loop. One of the best parts of the game. Wonderful tension trying to successfully add more balls to that @#$@#$% ramp while the clock is ticking and another reason the Pro is boring by comparison.

1 week later
#8998 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

Wow what a game I just had. The adrenaline is seriously running through me. Let me just say its been a while since I played SW. It was my first pin bought last Aug and I have gotten 4 more pins in the last 6 months for a total of 5 now.
1st game today was a dud and just a warm up. 2nd game blew my mind. Everything was on point. I was hitting the roaming multiplier like a maniac and hitting every shot. 3 victory mutliballs. Got to the Emperor for only the 2nd time ever and beat him for the 1st time ever! What a BLAST!!! Factory settings on 3 ball play.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

When you have a hot game where everything flows it's great. But if every game were like that, it wouldn't be memorable when it happens, so we have to be satisfied with it happening seemingly randomly.

#9010 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

100% agree. I have only had 1 comparable session to it where I did get to Jedi multiball, just didn't defeat the Emperor, and got close to 14 bil GC. Even that game though all cylinders didn't click like this last one did. Also I got to say you are the MAN for making those quiet fans I have put in all my Stern games!

Haha, thanks, the sound of silence is worth its weight in gold on those Spike machines.

But, I'm obviously not THE man because you have my 14 billion Star Wars best score beat with the monster game you put up!

1 week later
#9021 3 years ago
Quoted from DavidCPA:

2. When I do nail the Death Star shot, sometimes it comes out really fast from the inner loop and shoots right down the middle. Is that normal? My local pinball arcade have had to bend some of the metal walls to get the game to flow correct on the new Sterns (Elvira and Batman).
Thanks for your help. Great game and community.

Star Wars is EXTREMELY sensitive to setup angle and level left to right. Like, just a quarter turn on one leg leveler can make a difference. Sounds like this one may just be off a little bit on the left to right level or the angle.

#9039 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Hi, I've got the Pro version, so no moving ramp there. But I did re-level the game. I've only had it for about 4 days, and it's on carpet, so I usually have to recheck my levelness after I've moved a new pin in. It was close, but not exactly level. After re-leveling, I haven't had a single reject. So hopefully that's all it was. I did loosen and re-tighten the screws on the twin-post solenoid as well. But I'm pretty sure the leveling was the main thing.
It's been about 10 games, and so far so good!

Star Wars (at least the Prem) is the most sensitive to level and pitch of any game I've ever set up. Just a tiny turn on the leg levelers can take a game from no fun to awesome. It's crazy.

#9041 3 years ago

Try Elvira. The backdoor shot is so sensitive to it being level that Stern had to redesign the path behind the house just to make it possible. Owners couldn't figure out how to level the game correctly. Not a problem for the old pros but newbies had tons of problems.

Haven't had my hands on an Elvira, but wow, if it's more sensitive than Star Wars, that's TERRIBLE.

#9047 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

My left flipper will sometimes not react to pushing the button. It can play fine for quite a few games and then start acting up. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Check the gap on the leaf switches the flipper button pushes in on the inside of the cabinet. If they get bent away from the button, it gets harder for them to make contact and activate the flipper.

2 weeks later
#9127 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Well I got the opto and installed it - not a bad mount system, pretty easy to do. I was excited to think the problem was solved...then it came back.
I wiggled my finger in the opto beam during switch test and it came back after twiddling it many times...but it's clearly very intermittent at best.
What's next? Node 9?

You can swap node 8 and 9 to see if that fixes it. Just be sure to make note of the dip switches and set accordingly.

#9148 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Many prem/LE owners will balk at this, but the pro really is a good option. I've played multiple prem/LEs and the hyperloop is a decent gimmick, but to me it doesn't outweigh the issues it causes. The Death Star shot is hard enough without adding a 50% reject rate into the mix, plus the forks kill the flow of the Hoth shot since they can't drop out of the way fast enough. On the pro, both shots are always smooth as butter, 100% of the time. I personally wouldn't trade that for the ability to watch a ball zoom around a racetrack a few times. I also love how the pro handles Hyperspace multiball, with needing to smack the captured ball out of the horseshoe and then lock another one in there. It's a great feeling shot, and still feels special and different than other multiballs. Opinions definitely vary on that, but I would urge you not to overlook the pro. It's an awesome, vastly underrated game either way.

I thought I hated Star Wars. Turns out, I just hated the Pro. Got a Premium to make color brackets and loved it. Even when the machine is set up right (and it's very finicky) that death star shot is tough to make consistently, but that's what makes it a rush - the tension to keep making the shot to load the hyperloop in a short period of time is completely missing from the Pro and is one of the best things about the machine.

#9160 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

While I have a tough time understanding how one gimmick can turn hate into love on a machine

Dunno. Probably the same way I don't care for Elmo, but in certain cases that opinion changes when there's a gimmick attached.

Gimmicks sell.

Elmo.gifElmo.gif
#9165 3 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

More mini-LCD screen issues...
I have a Star Wars PREM. The CN10 socket (HDMI to the mini LCD screen) on the main CPU board has come loose from the main board. It's not totally separated from the board, but it is not secure. In the past I had noticed that the mini screen would boot up "white," without showing the display as normal. Other times the screen would come up just fine. As of today, i doesn't even come up white.
In tracing back the cables from the screen is where I noticed that the C10 connector is loose. The leads look like they may still be connected, but are bent. The four corners of the connector are not attached to the board at all.
What are my options for getting this fixed? It is years out of warranty. I sent a note to Stern support. Any other suggestions?
[quoted image]

Looks like it just needs a couple dots of solder to be good again. If you don't want to do it yourself, you can send it out to pinsiders like Borygard who does node board repairs and he should get ya going again.

1 week later
#9205 3 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Why did this game get so many bad reviews when it first came out? I’m joining the club in a couple days. I’m trading my stranger things pro for a SW Pro on Friday. Was it the early code or something. Table layout ? Please someone fill me in.

Code was poor for about 6 months after release and it's SUPER PICKY about pitch and balance. Like half a turn on a leg leveler can be difference between awesome and awful.

The Pro was dull IMO, but once it's dialed in, the Prem/LE has great dramatic tension trying to get balls loaded in the loop in a very short window. Loved it.

#9207 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

The premium is an outlane drain monster. The ball can head straight to the outlanes from pretty much anywhere on the playfield and can easily be tossed in there from the slings or the ball launch.

Close up the outlanes, adjust the sling power and make sure the pitch and balance are perfect and that's not much of an issue. I didn't have too much problem with outlane gobbling once I got it dialed in. It's not like you could RELAX, but the balls were not cheap losses that a nudge wouldn't save.

#9226 3 years ago
Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

What sling power did you have luck with?

Unfortunately I don't remember but that's a general place to adjust for these kinds of issues (I don't have the pin anymore or I'd check).

#9241 3 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

I have a lane protector on mine too. The plastic overlay one, and I only noticed this happen once I installed it. I’ll do the same and lower the eject power.

The plastic overlay one is too thick and makes it harder for the ball to depress the shooter lane switch wire correctly (i.e. far enough, fast enough) so the game will think it needs to put a ball in the shooter lane when one is already there. Cliffies are better for the shooter lane. You can try bending up the shooter lane wire a bit more to account for the plastic overlay thickness...

#9265 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yes. For newer Stern games, there is a true lifetime counter that can't be reset, but not Star Wars. The lifetime cash / coin in can't be reset however. So you can know if it spent time on location.

Well, to be clear, it CAN be reset, it's just not publicly shared information.

#9270 3 years ago
Quoted from DarrenNichols:

Hi. I have a SW premium. Sometimes when I get the ball into the hyper loop, it will roll back out down the playfield, the flippers become
disabled, and Han says “it’s not my fault.” Why?!? Please help
Thanks
Darren

When it's been reported before, it was when Hyperloop overlaps with the selection of a new mission. It's basically a bug. Maybe Xaqery will release a code fix sometime in the future that fixes it.

#9307 3 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Where can I find replacement Mylar for my playfield on my pro? Like the metal entrance to the left and right ramps there is Mylar there under the metal. There’s Mylar located in various places on the playfield and I want to buy extras.

Just get a bulk sheet of mylar and you can cut whatever mylar you need, whenever you need it.

Pinball life sells it at a very reasonable price:
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=mylar_24inch

#9310 3 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

I was hoping to find pre cut Mylar instead of having to cut that stuff my self. Not too good at that. I noticed stern used lots of Mylar in high wear places on the playfield. Which is a good thing.

You only get better by doing. Most of the stuff you're talking about are squares and rectangles (and pretty small ones), probably the easiest things to cut. Start with those and when the time comes for more complicated shapes (say, shooter lane protector) you'll be up for the task, and have the material on hand to make it immediately without having to wait for and pay for shipping per item.

#9347 3 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

I need some help:
All of a sudden I am getting a message on start up Node board 8 not located. The Left Half the gi is out and the lower half of the playfield inserts are out. Also if you try to start a game it does a ball search twice and doesn't find the balls which are all in the trough.
Any ideas? I looked at what I think is node board eight and everything looks ok to me?

You can swap node 8 and 9 within the same machine, just change the dip switches on each board, and see if the problem moves. But it sounds like your node 8 died.

If node 8 is bad, hit up Borygard - he can repair them in many cases.

1 week later
#9366 3 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Yes, I just picked it up from them. Build date is October 2019.
On another note, I found these in the cabinet (small nuts were actually in the box)... Any idea where they might go? It looks like the bolts from the hinge to the top of the head, but those are there.
[quoted image]

The big nut looks like one that holds the bolts for the backside of the coin door frame. The other two look like coin door bolts, but they seem too short. Lock nut, I have no idea. Lots of places that could go.

1 year later
#12420 1 year ago
Quoted from firebrand007:

Any tips on managing to send the ball to the left orbit ? I'm playing a Pro and have trouble shooting the orbits when I have to do it for the boba Fett mode for example.

If your orbits are hard to hit in general, you can drop the flipper angle a smidge (like 1mm or so, a little dab'll do ya). That should make things better for you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.