IMG_6632 (resized).jpeg
sw1 (resized).JPEG
sw2 (resized).JPEG
sw3 (resized).JPEG
sw4 (resized).JPEG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #902 New LE/Premium Code readme - v0.89 Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #903 New Pro Code V0.89 ready Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #3340 How to adjust the ball guide to mitigate drains. Posted by Schwaggs (6 years ago)

Post #4911 Summary of shots needed for modes. Posted by Hoochoo (5 years ago)

Post #12080 Upgraded coil stops Posted by Crispy77 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mjmpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13684 1 year ago

New Star Wars premium owner joining in

#13709 1 year ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Did any of you install the Stern art blades? If so, is it worth $160 for the 3 sets?

On this topic, which art blades look the best (opinions welcome)? I am struggling choosing between the Wizmods ones and Pingraffics ones - nervous that the amount of spaceship activity will be too busy in the pin ?? Kind of like the idea of just space with planets & stars...

I haven't really considered the stern set since I can't figure why I would spend 2x to get extras that will never be used, I won't change them once they are in - but hadn't thought of someone selling me an extra...

thanks!

#13714 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I went with the Stern ones. I think they are the best made ones personally. The material is thick, durable, and easy to peel and reposition multiple times if you need to. I personally went with the Han and Leia art blades from the set as I think they looked the best and weren't obstructed by the Hyper Loop on the premium. I wanted to use the Yoda one, but he was blocked from view. I ended up giving my spare art blades to my distro to give out to others in need

Thanks,

if anyone has any spare stern ones to sell, pls let me know. I have installed the Wizmods ones on my Godzilla and they were also very high quality and easy to install/move

#13716 1 year ago
Quoted from Jai151:

Are the art blades pretty interchangeable between machines? I want to keep the space theme consistent with the backboard art, but the ones that seem to match best are ones advertised for Star Trek with a fairly generic planets and stars artwork

I was going to ask that same question, I also like the star trek ones, I assume dimensionally they would be the same ? but color matching - has anyone put star trek blades in star wars ??

#13731 1 year ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Pingraffix are of great quality. I like the way they match the theme. IMO, better than the Stern blades.

One interesting observation on the pingraffics ones, on their website, the picture of the blades themselves is different that the two pictures of the blades installed ?? which is the actual? I might have to call them

#13748 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

going to take another pic tonight without all the glare, but my custom translight just came!
[quoted image]

Nice!

2 weeks later
#13824 1 year ago

Excited to be joining this club! Just got my SW premium set up & running last night. Love this machine!

One troublesome issue, hoping this has been experienced & someone can advise. Occasionally, not all the time but often enough that it definitely is an issue. When you start a game, it will not wait for you to select character or advantage, it just starts playing ?!?! I check the action button switch , but it seems fine. Also before it launches the ball when this occurs it does a brief ball search like action, seeming to indicate a ball is missing, then it auto fires the ball. I turn off the machine, restart it, things operate fine for a few games, then it does it again, one time it was acting like things were happening on the playfield as well, when the ball was still in the shooter lane - multiplier would go up if I hit the flipper button, really strange. Yet 80-90% of the tie it plays totally normal

any advice on what to look for, I am hoping this is a simple switch issue or something not significant (FYI, machine was NIB)

thanks all! mike

#13826 1 year ago
Quoted from Northstar1976:

Hello! Nice joing the club. SW fan since early 80´s, also love pinball. Bought NIB SW premium without ever testing it. Played it for 1 month now and both me and GF are both in agreement that this is the hardest pin we ever played. I hope it will grow on us, just curious to hear some longterm holders. We love Mandalorian PRO and Willy Wonka CE (have gotten all golden tickets twice, so I would not say I am totally bad either). Just feels like SW is dam hard and unforgiving. Planning on getting Jurrasic Park next, however I heard many players find it to difficult, so maybe go Godzilla instead. Thanks for any inputs or advice in advance.

Welcome, I just joined with a new SW as well! I have been in the hobby just short of two years, it is addicting. I have 8 machines now, but I feel made som pretty good choices for myself, family & friends, have only sold & replaced 1. My vote would be for Godzilla, I got that one recently and it truly is as fun as many seem to advise!! Enjoy. (BTW, my 2nd favorite is Attack from Mars, it is a favorite of everyone in the family)

#13831 1 year ago

Still hoping someone out there may have some advise for my startup issue. Brief update; I solved the ball search playfield activity issue, that was related to the ball having up at the very left end of the trough, solved & fixed.

But, I am still occasionally and randomly - having th issue where the ball will start, does not let you select character or path, it goes right to play. some times immediately on game start, other times you see the path selection screen and the ball starts when you hit the right flipper button to advance between choices ?!?

I want to think its the action switch, but the switch appears and works fine, it gets hit a hundred times during a game for tie fighters and never has an issue. I am wondering about the node board that the action switch plugs into, or something else??

its really strange, you can play 15 - 20 games, then suddenly bam, doesn't let you select, goes right into play, does it about 3-4 times, then its normal again

help ?!?

thanks!

m

#13833 1 year ago

Ive been thinking about software & the code, but can't convince my self that if it was a code/software bug issue - it would be happening all the time wouldn't it.

this is literally random and happening about ~ 10% of the time??

didn't do it at all last night, played about 15 games. then it did it immediately on the first game when I turned it on today. So started thinking it was somehow related to being off and powering on. but then I had it off for over an hour at a time today & never did it on startup.

then after a friend and I were playing two player, after about 4-5 games. it did it right in the middle of a game, his 2nd ball - boom right to the action screen, no selection. Did it about 4 more times. then we played for another hour & never did it again tonight - strange mystery....

#13835 1 year ago

Will do that next, was so focused that the only switch in play was the action button, didn't really think about other switches. I did do the node board test and that all passed. But, kind of thinking everything will pass when it's not happening. I'll check switches using the test.

thanks

#13837 1 year ago

update on my issue (sorry to be going on about this, but hoping someone my catch my post that has had a similar issue) - today it happened twice, it does appear now that it is pretty consistent happening after the machine has been off over night, 3 times first start up it does it. Also observing more carefully, sometimes it auto plunges sometimes it does not - but it has always selected " Luke". which makes sense as that it where the character screen starts....

#13838 1 year ago

Also a new issue identified today - no clue if these are in any way related, but it explains why when I play it seems like I am always in light saber dual !

so the FORCE drop targets are not functioning correctly, as I understand it, and sometimes observe while playing - you need to completed the set of 5 a total of 5 times, getting mystery the first time, escape the second and so on.

First thing I have observed, is when a ball ends and it starts the next ball it starts with the bank completed, even if you had not hit them all (not every time but most times) - I assume that is not the correct way? Also, I am observing that often, I do not need to hit them all, one solid hit on one or two of the letters and it gives you the completion (observed by the # of solid lights on as well as audio). That is certainly not correct. if the ball comes down from the ramps and hits the 'E" it typically always gives me the full bank ?!? what is up - checked underneath, everything appears in order.
A bit frustrating too, but I assume there is a solution - any suggestions welcome...

thank you

#13840 1 year ago

Thanks, I'm going to reach out to stern tomorrow as well as grab an SD card & re download code. From what I have inspected, I do not see any switch or node board issues and all tests on the machine pass fine. Im thinking if there was a switch issue, Id have more problems with the game. The opts on the force targets do not have any alignment potential issues, they are all very simple & appear to be working correctly - so I am thinking software as well

appreciate the feedback

#13842 1 year ago

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I need to look closer at all the leaf switches, I see now that the issue would likely not be caused by a rollover switch, where I have spent most of my time. I agree on the SW, that's why i didn't race down that path. Wondering if its switch related, if there is a clue in the fact that this occurs typically now after the machine has been off for a while & then when yo start playing it doesn't do it (as much)

#13844 1 year ago

Thanks! I also learned something last night that I did not know, which calms me on the FORCE issue a bit, I still think there are a few odd things, but I did not know about the skill shot which is hitting the flashing/moving FORCE letters - if you hit the letter while lit - it gives you the bank.

I need to see if that might have been happening when I thought hitting the "E" was completing - I learned that this skill shot is all the time - not just on plunge

but the auto start of luke/jedi training is definitely an issue. no game feature there, just boom, hit the start switch and you are already playing Luke/Jedi...

#13855 1 year ago
Quoted from MitchMitchell:

I installed the Stern Comic art blades on my Prem and they look amazing, really add a pop of color to the pf.

I went with the pin graffics ones and am very pleased with them!

#13856 1 year ago

new question - what setting changes the auto plunge force/strength? Im not finding it.

Getting frustrating that EVERY SINGLE auto plunge hits the stand ups & straight the left outlane drain, literally 3 times in a row, every new ball - 3rd time no ball save.

I am now always manually plunging. I'd like to fix that so I can use the auto

#13859 1 year ago

Wow, just a lot of little tweaks and adjustments apparently needed on this game vs others I own. Latest observation in case anyone has an obvious tweak or fix. Occasionally now, my ball will get stuck behind the fork when I shoot the hoth/right inner loop and the game just sits there not knowing it. Eventually ball search starts & it always gets freed, but why is the ball getting stopped behind the fork & the game doesn't know it ?? Really interrupts the game flow

1 month later
#13941 1 year ago

All, I had posted a while back regarding some strange issues with my new SW premium, it was auto launching at times without letting you select character or mission. Feedback indicated likely a switch issue, something on the playfield making contact thus initiating the game immediately. I ran many switch tests and looked everywhere for what could be the cause. I never found the fault. I contacted Stern & one of their techs was assisting me, but then suddenly it never did it again & after a couple weeks of playing every other day or so without issue, I let it go, assuming it may have been a switch making contact that self adjusted with play. Regardless, it seemed to not be an issue. Until tonight!

I have some new info & hoping someone may have experienced this and point me to a potential cause. Aside from auto launching occasionally tonight (Sometimes at age start, sometimes 2nd player, sometimes on ball 2 or 3). During multiplayer, often the 2nd player could not select a character, but it didn't auto launch. Most interesting though is I am now noticing that when the game starts there are already points !! And it's a different amount of points each time, like 4 million & change or 5 million & change, etc. I investigated a bit and the points immediately show up when the ball rolls over the switch in the shooter lane.

It also happens occasionally on ball 2 or ball 3 during a game (points will be added to your total as soon as the ball hits the rollover switch) !?!?

Example; I just drained ball 2 playing Luke, for ball 3 I selected "light tatoine missions", I had 149,450,320 points - as soon as I launched ball 3 and the ball hit the rollover switch, boom, I suddenly had 239 million and change - what the ?!?!

appreciate any assistance or advice, I will contact STERN again, but I anticipate all of these issues are related to the same root cause, I just need help finding it

thanks!

#13944 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

If you can select your ball-start award and the game doesn't auto-plunge, most likely nothing is wrong. Some of the ball-start awards do give points, which will be added as soon as the ball hits the switch up the shooter lane. Jedi Training in particular does this and shows up on Luke's menu. I think the light-mission choices and +5 Tie fighters also award a few million. I can't think of anything that would award almost 100 million just from the plunge, though there might be something that can.
One possible cause of phantom switch hits while the ball is still in the plunger lane is if the spinner is still spinning after a fast drain - do you have a really slick spinner?
For physical switches, take a look at the one above the Force targets, behind the rubber there. This triggers no game features, but it's often gapped really tight so vibrations trigger it.

thanks! very helpful - its bizzare that by design some modes would immediately give points, but I was wondering that myself - Ill see if STERN can confirm or provide more insight to what & why. But I agree the 100M plus that I got on the 3rd ball plunge does not seem to be right. Since it does still skip the select screen and sometimes auto plunge - there is something amiss and I assume its all realted

Ill check that switch today - any others that might be culprits? I assume the force switches are not since they are optos, I have had the playfield up and investigated every switch and all seemed to be fine, as did connectors & all wiring. What I fear is that this could be a board issue - but can't get any tractions chasing that possibility ??

thanks again

#13946 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

The points from the ball-start awards are all indirect. Lighting missions gives points because lighting missions always gives points from any method. Jedi Training gives points because a Jedi level-up always gives points. +5 Tie fighters gives points because Tie fighters always give points. Doing this is consistent with the rest of the game; it's not really intentionally designed to give points for plunging, it's a knock-on effect of whichever game feature you chose.
Besides the switch I mentioned, other common culprits on any game are the slingshots and in/outlanes, though you'd probably notice if they were triggering. Also the spinner, if it's still spinning from a previous ball, or if it happened to stop in the upside-down position and then dislodged itself.

OK, thanks!

So I should be able to determine which "path" selected should give points based on that path correct? That will allow me to at least test all characters/all paths & determine if anythign there is unusual/incorrect

#13950 1 year ago

OK, I think I have determined that points are awarded immediately in this game depending on what "path" you choose.

Can anyone explain how the points are determined? Specifically for "light xxxx missions" ?

I have observed the following and am curious as h___. to understand how its determined:

points seem to be some form of percentage of the total points yo already have - example, if I start a new game choosing tatoine - it gives me ~ 3M points, if I select it on ball 2 after having already scored say 50M points, it gives me about 15M. and I observed that on ball 3 when I already had 140M, it gave me 70M !!

points also seem to be awarded differently depending on which planet, death star seems to award the most

finally, I have confirmed that the same thing happens when you qualify/light the planet on teh playfield by hitting the shot 3 times, same magnitude of points depending on what you already have

and yet, the exact amount seems to vary every time I start a new game ??

understanding this would be valuable, I am assuming this is all by design, but explained nowhere

#13957 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Nobody has figured that out. It depends on how many missions that character has at that planet (more points if there are fewer missions, since you don't have as much opportunity to get points from the missions), but also a lot of other variables that nobody ever figured out how to get consistently. Also the shot multiplier applies on the playfield for the first 2 shots per planet but not for the 3rd. 70 million for lighting missions isn't unusual.

OK, thats helpful thanks for the comments!

I got off on this track trying to solve an issue with my machine randomly autostarting/autoplunging - The tech at STERN asked me if when this happens there are any points awarded on the plunge. Anticipating that that would indicate a switch closed/making contact when teh game starts - but I don't think he, and certainly not me understood that this game awards points on the plunge by design!

So I panicked when I started seeing points immediately on the plunge and thought my game was seriously in bad shape

now I am calmed back down, but still need to find out why occasionally when you hit the start button its just automatically selects your character & path and plunges the ball, really odd

happens occasionally on ball 2 or 3 as well

but thanks for the info!

2 months later
#14288 10 months ago

Does SW premium have any magnets?

I am thinking the hyperloop accelerators are in fact magnets - or have the same affect - so can't use Ninja chrome balls

can someone confirm

thanks much!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 21.50
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mjmpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you?tu=mjmpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.