Pinside_forum_6208033_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_8600 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8599 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #902 New LE/Premium Code readme - v0.89 Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #903 New Pro Code V0.89 ready Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #3340 How to adjust the ball guide to mitigate drains. Posted by Schwaggs (6 years ago)

Post #4911 Summary of shots needed for modes. Posted by Hoochoo (5 years ago)

Post #12080 Upgraded coil stops Posted by Crispy77 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megadeth2600.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

Now that it has finally been announced, who is in for what models?

I'm sick. I'm getting the LE. Somehow, someway, I will have the LE . I don't care if it plummets to worthless, the game looks like it's a winner to me .

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I already got accosted for doing that.

I think this Star Wars will blow away the DE one ... so we are in total disagreement.

Having said that, I don't know why people get all worked up when people criticize a pinball machine. If you're right, bozos like me will take a bath cash wise and will make feeble attempts to justify owning a pile of trash. If you're wrong, then I'll have a great pinball machine light years ahead of any Star Wars themed pin out there. I haven't seen you post anything that would warrant a ban. Talk about thin skinned people out there ...

I guess people are too enthralled with owning these things as "investments" and not as they toys that they are .

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I sure as hell would never buy one until I had a chance to play it and it really won me over.

I'm like that 99% of the time. I missed out on Tron LE due to my bias against anything photoshopped on a playfield and the overall look of the machine in pictures. I don't want to make that mistake this time around.

I'm in a position where I can mitigate some of the risk buying this sight unseen ... I can put it out in a very safe location (i.e. work) and earn some cash to offset what I'm probably going to be spending. I'd probably*not* risk buying one like this if it weren't for that particular "feature" .

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I'm paid and ready to go...now I just need to move into a bigger place.

Same here ... and same here

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Can every stop saying they love star wars please?

I hate Star Wars. They keep blowing up the Enterprise and Commander Koenig has no idea what in the hell he is doing on the moon.

1 month later
#432 6 years ago

I finally got to play SW pro three times yesterday. I will not be canceling my LE. I know I am going to love this game over the long haul . It's got the blend of speed and flow I love (I'm a huge Steve Ritchie fan ... there's bias there ... but this pin is a *perfect* mix of speed, flow, and difficulty). Moreover, it's not like any other pin I own. It actually compliments Star Trek quite well.

I think people that are disappointed with the overall aesthetics of the game have completely valid arguments. While I don't think it's as cheap as the Spiderman "The Pin" (that criticism was quite harsh ), it certainly feels like something is missing from the playfield. I think the wire ramps on the Premium/LE are going to help that feeling somewhat.

Still, there's something still missing ... three "specifics" of the old trilogy that didn't seem to be captured well were Bespin, Jabba, and Dagobah. Jabba can certainly be covered by Tatooine and I'm sure there's going to be more Yoda than what we've seen on the LCD, but I think it would have been cool to have Bespin be represented by the pop bumpers and have each bumper hit represent some gas mined (or something like that). Doing that, they could have had the back panel split between the Star Destroyer and other space combat stuff on the left and Bespin art on the right (maybe have a Bespin toy mounted over the pop bumpers?).

I know a few of the missions take place on Bespin, but Cloud City would look so cool somewhere on the pin .

I don't think the artwork is anywhere near as bad as people made it out to be. When I saw it in real life, I was happy. I know it sounds trite, but the pictures don't do it justice. It doesn't look cheap at all ... just sparse (I'm almost wondering if Stern has a lineup of toys to add to the game ... that will torque me off if that's the case).

Just my $0.02.

2 years later
#8448 4 years ago

I FINALLY picked up an LE. This game has come a long way from the early software days. It's frigging hard too (I know, play better ). I played a friend's premium about six months ago and was hooked.

This is going to be the first pin I've owned that I actually want to mod up. I blame each and every one of you on this thread for that. You are all evil!!!

One final note, Stern blew it with the topper for this game. Jagoffs. Does anyone make a surround/background for the topper by chance? I think it'd look really cool with a background that looks like the ones that were part of that figure display platform thing they made back in the 70s .

Also, does anyone know if the remnants of that "topper projector" feature still exists in the current software. I'm curious to see if there is a way to possibly hook up a pico projector to R2D2.

1 year later
#11502 2 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

It looks like some kind of very thin grease.

For situations like this, I'd use silicone paste instead of grease. Grease is organic and breaks down over time. It tends to become a nasty solid.

Silicone paste will last almost forever .

I first started to use this stuff on brake caliper pins on my cars ... it's frigging awesome.

In terms of pinball, I recently used it sparingly on a flipper button that seemed to have a bit more friction that the other ... it worked great after that. I like to add a *tiny* dab of it on spinners too. And I mean "tiny" ... lubricants in pinball machines are a big no-no (using them on flippers is idiotic ... all of that coil dust + any kind of lubricant will create a sludge that you'll be cursing for years ). It's also great for things like gears in motors. It takes a LOT longer for it to break down compared to regular grease.

Again, don't go piling this stuff onto drop targets! Use little dabs on the head of something like a toothpick, apply it to the drop target, and use a smaller paintbrush to cover the surface you wish to cover. A little bit of this stuff goes a very long way. You'll also find other uses for it once you are addicted to it . Just *never* use it on flippers or coils (that's common pinball knowledge though).

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08946-Clear-Silicone-Paste/dp/B005RNEH5O/ref=sr_1_3

3 weeks later
#11603 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

That is why the price is going nuts. It is all demand driven (no supply).

Isn't Stern doing a run of SW Comic Premiums early next year?

#11606 2 years ago

Thanks for clarifying ... I often feel like I am the only one that likes the original art and doesn't care for the comic version ... I'm not right in the head though .

#11618 2 years ago

I prefer the comic art. I feel it is more true to pinball. Pinball is all about art.

I completely understand your point of view . The original SW art has a "sort-of hand drawn over photo" feel to it though and I prefer the font used on the playfield. To each their own though ... I am not criticizing anything. I used to automatically dismiss anything that looked "Photoshopped" ... that meant that I missed out on a Tron Premium back when they were announced ... man was I pissed when I played it for the first time . I learned to not be such a bigot when it comes to pinball artwork .

I tend to marvel at the engineering of some of the unique features in games. The Rudy head in Funhouse was some amazing work. While it looks so simple, it takes some amazing talent to make something like that work reliably at a relatively low cost. The hyperloop in SW (and HS2 for that matter) is another slick piece of engineering. That kind of stuff is art to me too .

I also really like the fact my Comic Premuim is worth 2k more than it's older sister.

That's always a bonus ... and absolutely nothing wrong with liking that feature .

1 month later
#11727 2 years ago
Quoted from Tres:

I’ll take an R2-D2 projector mod

I seem to recall one of the versions of SW having an option to "disable topper projector" or something along those lines. It was removed in a later firmware update. Does anyone know what else this topper was supposed to do before it was stripped down to the bare minimum? It almost looks like there were supposed to be 4 light features in the front of the topper too.

1 month later
#11924 2 years ago
Quoted from dutchi:

Maybe its the honeymoon fase, but why did the game get so much hate?

Many people trashed the artwork and lack of toys. The software wasn't all that hot at first too.

My biggest complaint with it involves the LE ... there was *nothing* added to the LE except for garbage, flat black powder coat and armor that features white cardboard behind the cutouts. Oh, I forgot, they threw in the other translites. No side blades, no invisiglass, no improved audio system ... there was virtually nothing added over the premium!

Still, I had to have an LE because I am a moron . I managed to get a used one when they dipped in price about a year after release ... it basically cost me what a NIB Premium would have cost. There is no way I was going to pay over $8K for the LE when it was released though . That'd be different today of course, but not back then.

I still find it pathetic that they stripped the LE version of something like Star Wars ... they claimed that Disney charged too much for the license, but why skimp on the LEs? It shouldn't have cost Stern that much to just add frigging invisiglass, side blades, and maybe a shooter rod to the LE, but they felt comfortable enough to release it as-is. I guess they knew it was going to sell out without the extra crap.

Oh well, the most important thing is that the pin now kicks ass and it one of the best . I can't get enough of it . Mastering the multiplier has been a lot of fun .

#11925 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I gave Star Wars the treatment I give all my Stern games.

Is there a separate audio track for the asteroid field? I'd *love* to change that to play the asteroid field music from ESB.

#11926 2 years ago
Quoted from Sluggo39:

Node board 9 took a dump on me ughh! Anyone have one I can buy?

Odd ... mine died recently too. In my case, the 5V regulator died. It's kind of a bitch to replace too since the underside of the chip is soldered directly to the board as are its legs (they do this so that copper planes on the PCB can act as a heatsink).

I say "it's a bitch to replace" in that if one doesn't have much experience removing surface mount devices, it's easy to rip up the pads when you're removing the chip due to applying excessive heat. I'm *OK* with surface mount repairs and even I had to add a couple of wires to work around screwing up two pads.

Anyway, there are LEDs on the Node 9 board that will give you a hint as to what is wrong. If you don't see any of these LEDs lit, then the 5V regulator is dead. Someone with decent surface mount repair skills can fix, and the part itself doesn't seem to be too big of a problem to find. Since I am only "OK" at repairing this stuff, I can't offer to repair it for you since there's still a risk I will make things worse (if it didn't have that pad on the bottom of the chip, I know I could do the repair perfectly ... I hope you understand ).

I wish I could figure out what was taxing the regulator to cause it to die ... if you can, let me know if you have no LEDs on your node 9 board ... two of us having this problem is a coincidence ... if anyone else has the problem, there might be something in the design that's screwed up.

#11937 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Do you think a heat gun on the component side would work too?

That's what I used. You have to be careful with the temperature and the time you hold the hot air over the component. I have removed/replaced several components this way w/o hurting the board (not just on pinball machines). The only reason the voltage regulator is a bit more tricky is due to the large pad under the component that is soldered to the board (along with the 8 pins).

The hot plate is a great idea ... much safer if you're not comfortable with the air gun ... I simply don't have one .

#11948 2 years ago
Quoted from F-2NIRO:

I worked like this until I discovered this wonderful little heating tool

I just bought one ... thanks for the pointer!!!!

#11963 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

The midnight madness intro video is still in the latest code.

This was probably removed due to the Creature Cantina theme ... they probably wanted more money to license that.

Just curious, is the video that was supposed to be displayed by the topper still in the software at all? Rumor had it that R2D2 was supposed to be able to display a video using the stuff they eventually used on Stranger Things ... I seem to recall earlier software having a setting to enable/disable "topper video" or something like that.

3 months later
#12306 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Why Stern did this is beyond me since games before and after have those plastic triangles.

Because Stern cut the cost to produce the machine to a dead minimum. Even the LE doesn't have the typical LE apron. This isn't a "bash Stern" comment to be clear ... from what I heard, the licenses for Star Wars and GotG cost them a fortune ... the fact that Star Wars is basically AC/DC's layout and GotG is Metallica's layout is evidence of this (saves design time).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megadeth2600.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you?tu=megadeth2600 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.