IMG_6632 (resized).jpeg
sw1 (resized).JPEG
sw2 (resized).JPEG
sw3 (resized).JPEG
sw4 (resized).JPEG

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #902 New LE/Premium Code readme - v0.89 Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #903 New Pro Code V0.89 ready Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #3340 How to adjust the ball guide to mitigate drains. Posted by Schwaggs (6 years ago)

Post #4911 Summary of shots needed for modes. Posted by Hoochoo (5 years ago)

Post #12080 Upgraded coil stops Posted by Crispy77 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider konghusker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'M a massive Star Wars fan (whole family is) but I am just not feeling this one.
I'm not a big Aerosmith fan...but it just looks like a better pin to me.

Exactly how I feel. Waiting for gameplay video first and hoping it blows me away. Have an le spot currently, but probably going premium if any.

#67 6 years ago

So what has the Le price come in at? I'm going between le and premium. Anybody know definite prices from a distributor?

#87 6 years ago

Di standard at $8k has a lot more value than any of the SW options imo. The theme of SW will carry this game, but the playfield is the only truly limited thing in this conversation. Why again is SW being compared to DI? That said, assuming gameplay is special, I'll be in on a premium most likely. Again, theme will carry it if code is decent.

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Its funny how everyone already thinks they know all the features from a few blurry photos and no feature matrix. Don't dismiss anything without a proper reveal / matrix.

Excited for tomorrow

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Its funny how everyone already thinks they know all the features from a few blurry photos and no feature matrix. Don't dismiss anything without a proper reveal / matrix.

Excited for tomorrow

#238 6 years ago

Just ordered an LE. Was back and forth between premium and LE, but wife likes Le better, and I had to agree. I've never had an LE, so I'm pretty stoked.

3 weeks later
#260 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Interesting, has Stern ever gone back and updated the feature specs on any model before?

I'm interested in that too. As many here believe, I think the Le really needs a couple more features for the price. The translite mod and a shaker would go a long way in creating a better value at Le price.

#262 6 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

Light up side rails would have been another good feature that i believe should have been on this one. Like on Star Trek.

Definitely. I'd say the light up rails and the back glass mod would suffice. Shakers are easily added later. Anyway, it's nice to wish for the features to be included, but my lack of faith in stern is disturbing.

#270 6 years ago

Everybody needs to start speaking up now and email stern to stress your concerns. It probably won't change much, but I think stern needs to know what we think. If they see people complaining about lack of shakers, back glass mods, light up rails, etc.. then maybe in the future they rethink stripping LEs down. Maybe.

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I know of distributors that are offering the usual discounts to regulars and they are not sold out of LEs, simple fact is the LE just isn't worth the extra to some people this time around. I was in on an LE and I know of 3 others that where and we have all dropped out. Relaxing now and just waiting to see how the Premium turns out.
My last two LE purchases felt like they offered me a lot over the premium -
BM66 (kick ass topper, bat shaped & powder coated armour which looks awesome in person with the gold flake, my fav art package which is a nice bonus and a shaker)
STLE (awesome led lite side rails, powder coated armour, real backglass, again my fav art package which is sweet and a shaker)
I saw the value in those two LEs, this time around I really struggled to justify the extra ££ over the premium and I don't think I am the only one.
Saying that if Stern added animated backbox, shaker and some lite rails (although it will have to be EL paper at this point I guess and not LEDs like STLE) I would probably jump back on an LE.

That's exactly how I feel. I'm still on the fence about the Le I have reserved. Unfortunately, I actually like the looks of the Le best, and I'm just really not sure how I feel about the premium art yet. That said, it's really hard to justify a $1300 difference for side rails and simply different stickers/translite.

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sorry but that's not how they operate it seems. And they read pinside. Believe me. LEs are a tricky piece of the hobby. Most times you have to buy sight unseen. But look at it this way, maybe you can get a good price on one in the secondary market.

I understand, but I emailed them my concerns anyway. Can't hurt right? SW will sell out regardless, and stern knows this. Unless people start to email them and stress concerns, nothing will ever happen. A good company reads concerns, and responds. The response isn't always what we hoped for, but they at least acknowledge it. It may be to late for SW changes, but are you going to be happy when it continues to happen. GOTG is rumored, and wouldn't that be another big blow for a watered down game. Effective or not, more voices speaking up will plant the seed. Cant just sit back and depend on stern reading pinside. Just my opinion.

#280 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

You have a deposit in on an LE. You've already made your voice heard.

That's what I'm saying. I'm admittedly one of the suckers ONLY because it's star wars. I can still back out, and it's a real possibility at this point. If this were any other theme, I wouldn't even consider an LE at these prices and lack of features on it. Like I said, I'm one of the Le suckers, but still think stern needs to step up their game.

#282 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Cancelling your LE spot and sitting back and waiting to see how the (premium) game turns out, is probably the only way Stern will pay attention. And SW should have sold out already with a waiting list 10 deep - this was a strong rumour from a lot of distributors they had waiting lists, game got revealed and now we have distributors with LE spots still up for grabs.
The rumour that's been posted in several threads now is GOTG will use Elwin's Archer design/layout I don't see how the hell Stern could strip that back without ruining the game Keith designed.

I agree, but somebody else will just buy the Le instead and stern wouldn't even know the difference. Voicing concerns directly to stern is the only hope for change. Just like I am a sucker for SW, others will continue to be suckers for themes coming up, therefore changing nothing. There is probably no other theme for me personally that I would go Le on unless it had features that blew me away. We've all had complaints it seems on the whole SW thing, but yet we are all "in" on a version of the game. How does that force stern to rethink their product value? Directly telling them may go further than you think. It really can't hurt. That's all I'm saying.

#284 6 years ago
Quoted from venom112:

Stern will never change anything until you back it up by not preordering and continuing to pay top dollar for inferior quality and missing features. Why would they people are paying for it anyway. If the value isn't there they would be forced to step up value, quality of their machines etc. it seems like with every new machine they strip more features away to see if people will still pay for it and every time they do so why change?

I agree.

#296 6 years ago

I'm the same way in that SW is my family's #1 dream theme and we are buying as a keeper. I don't worry about resale value. I was going to splurge and get an LE for the first time on this one thinking stern would put a lot of effort into the biggest license in the Galaxy. After thinking about it, I just keep feeling like I'm crazy to pay $1300 more for non light up side rails and different art. If I liked the premium art better, I'd definitely go that route. Looks of a machine are important to me too, and the Le is my favorite. That's my only reason for wanting more value in the Le. The playfield already looks only ok to me, and so similar to my acdc layout, so yeah, looks and extra features are important when choosing a model. If gameplay looks amazing, then it will take a lot of the sting away, but there's always that doubt of getting a true value Le model imo. Gameplay will go a long way in helping decide if premium or Le is it for me.

#300 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I think that's the flaw in your logic. Using the words "value" and "LE" in the same sentence is a mistake.
LEs aren't supposed to provide value. As with many items, they are "a little bit more, for a lot more $".
It's buyers spending more money because they have it to burn, or are so excited about the theme, they don't care.
You have posted non-stop about being in or out on this LE and I can't help but think that you will not be happy with an LE.
Wait to see the game in person. Play it. If you love it, grab a Premium version. If you find that it's a great game, I doubt you'll ever look at your Premium and think " I wish I'd paid more".

I don't think I'm alone in this thinking though on SW LE. Everybody keeps bringing up ST as a "true" Le. That's what I'm referring to in comparison. Past Le models had shakers, real back glass, and more that felt like they truly had more "value". SW LE is bare in comparison. I agree with you about the premium. I'm sure I wouldn't probably regret not spending more for the minor features on the Le. The more I look at the premium art, the more it's growing on me.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

This post kind of encapsulates how I feel. Yeah, I'm getting the LE. But I'm also feeling ripped off. So yeah...Stern wins this time, but I think in the long run they're just creating a bitter customer base that will eventually get tired of being treated like an open wallet and they'll put their money elsewhere.

This is true for me to. Because of theme alone, I'll bite. In the future however, I won't. Regardless of anything people say or think about jjp, their $8-9k machines feel like the price tag far more than a stern Le at same price.

I'm done whining about these first world problems now. Lol. I'm just anxious to see gameplay so I can decide which model if any is worth it to me personally. Hopefully this week we'll see some action.

#304 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My problem is I'm accumulating way too many keepers and still want what's coming out
Guardians of the Galaxy (Archer) is a great theme too!

Definitely my same problem. Good problem to have.

#307 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

And I hope your right dude about GOTG, I would hate to see Elwin's "Archer layout" stripped down at the Premium/LE level, it looks like one kick ass layout and it deserves to be released in its complete form.

Has a layout image been leaked somewhere?

#320 6 years ago

I bet dead flip streams this week before the weekend show anyway. He mentioned a big event showing stuff we've been waiting for this week. Can't wait. Hopefully it's the premium/le streamed.

#330 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Right, because Hobbit is just as packed as WOZ was, and doesn't cost thousands of dollars more than ECLE's did, right? Both companies are guilty of this the last few years.

To be fair, the first batch of pre pay woz was way under priced for jjp profit margins. So to fairly compare, look at current jjp prices. The Hobbit is actually less than woz by at least$500. So technically jjp did charge less for what is perceived as less by most. DI is packed again, and is more than Hobbit once again.

#333 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Do you think I give a single flip what their margins are? They set the expectation of 6500 games then JACK'ed up the prices several times. That's their problem, not my problem as a customer. WOZ prices went up even as they stripped things off the game...they made a choice to do that, but the whole concept of them competing with Stern on anything resembling even footing went right out the window. They are *directly* responsible for a huge percentage of the price increases we have seen the last few years, because Stern looked at that 6500 tag, then them JACK'ing up prices several times, and went "Hey, why are we leaving money on the table when people will clearly pay more?"
I get what you're saying...I just don't care, because the simple fact is that in the end, the only thing that DOES matter on my end is what the prices are and what's on the games. Their excuses or reasons are irrelevant, and selling pins at a loss was a stupid, stupid mistake that should never be repeated. They're lucky they even survived that.

Most new companies will make mistakes early on. They did in pricing woz, and Jack admitted that. Once they were priced correctly, they then adjusted Hobbit price to reflect that. All my point was saying is that your original statement was somewhat misleading. You insinuated that jjp stripped Hobbit and charged the same or more as woz. I simply clarified that you're basing your woz price on a miscalculated cost. As of now, jjp is less for a Hobbit than either of their far more packed games. I also never thought you needed to care about jjp mistakes at first or their bom. Stern has raised prices and put less and less into games, while yeah, jjp is more expensive, but that was due to putting out a better product. Either way, it's all good. I'm just waiting for SW video this week.

1 week later
#405 6 years ago

Is the final wizard mode in yet and has anybody seen it if so?

2 months later
#1563 6 years ago

Will there be multiple video modes? Also, I would love to hear jaba and the emperor when the ball drains alternating between Yoda phrases. Yoda definitely gets repetitive, and that's just from watching many streams. Games looking better though and I'm strongly considering a premium.

#1670 6 years ago

Guys that have played both models of SW, is the premium worth it over the pro? Still considering SW but have no place to try it. Is the code going to be challenging and good long term, or is it repetitive?

1 week later
#1773 6 years ago

So what exactly are all the wizard modes so far? Scenes?

#1890 6 years ago

I'm still debating on getting a premium vs pro myself. Leaning premium just to get a little more style points, but not sure it's worth it. Premium guys, is the ramp forks giving the majority of people problems?

#1891 6 years ago

Also, is there a setting to disable the fork ramp if a node board goes bad and still play it like a pro while waiting for parts?

#1907 6 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate owners honesty and what version you like. I've played a pro, but no premium around here. Pro was fun. It's a tough decision. Thanks again though for thoughts.

#1959 6 years ago

Is this game really that frustrating for most people?

#2000 6 years ago

Owners, does this game have enough depth to stay around a long time? I like games that have enough wizard modes that I'll most likely never see everything, especially one last wizard mode. That was my only concern with a game like AS, it seems somewhat shallow on rules. Just curious what all is in SW.

#2015 6 years ago

What is the final wizard mode and is it programmed into game yet?

#2044 6 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Thanks for the fan help, everyone. One more Stern newbie question for you.
How do you actually move the outlane pin down a notch to narrow it down? I took the nut out from underneath, but still doesn't budge. I'm admittedly being extremely careful and not using much force, so maybe I'm just being too delicate?

Use the force!

3 weeks later
#2208 6 years ago

I started wondering if they intentionally were holding accessories off until more LEs sold. Sounds crazy, but you never know. Seems like if a guy can buy a premium and then they offer the custom armor, and it still saves you $1000 from an Le, who would buy an Le? I started thinking this way after the gotg accessories were announced. Probably not what's going on, but I can honestly say I'm holding off on buying an le until the accessories are shown, as I prefer the LE looks best, but if I can get a premium with a topper, custom armor, and side blades and still pay less than the LE, it seems like the smartest way to go. Just my thoughts.

#2210 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

From what ive heard guardins LE sales are not great so far, so wouldnt you think if that was the case they would do the same thing with guardians?

Like I said, it sounds crazy, but would you really put it past them? Also, if you can buy a gotg premium with all accessories for Less than just an LE, wouldn't you? Math adds up better on a fully pumped out premium.

4 months later
#3878 6 years ago

Curious about le/premium owners thoughts about the game now after it's been out a long time now? Depth, reliability, durability etc. Considering a premium.

#3888 6 years ago

Good input guys. How about the hyper loop? Is it working correctly now with updated code? Any concerns with node boards at this point?

8 months later
#6123 5 years ago

Curious on owners opinions at this point. Debating between SW premium vs jjp potc. Are you guys still enjoying this game enough to hold long term? Is code exciting and deep enough for holding? Are machines holding up? I read that wizard modes still need work, or are missing something. Opinions about overall machine ownership please. Thanks guys.

#6126 5 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Yes. But, I have a strike against me in that I'm a SW nerd. I have the DE DW pin as well.

Yeah, me too. We love SW. Still can't believe I haven't bought this yet. Potc looks awesome though and if toy story comes next, that one could easily be it. Can only get one though. I was concerned about the long term fun factor.

15441310457261804591384 (resized).jpg15441310457261804591384 (resized).jpg15441310862551999991495 (resized).jpg15441310862551999991495 (resized).jpg

#6127 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Still loving my SW Premium after 1+ year in house. Physically it's holding up great, and there's plenty to do code-wise. People have requested a super-duper wizard mode after you beat all four characters. I think people that can do that are quite rare so it's unlikely to be something you'll notice unless you're a phenomenal player.
I can't compare to JJP POTC as I've only put a few games on that and only on the prototype. I assume you'd save $2.5k or so going with a HUO SW Premium over a NIB JJP at this point, if that makes a difference.

Does make a difference in my decision. I think jjp games are worth more, but I'm not rich, so I need to get a good long term game. I have enjoyed SW when I've played it though.

#6130 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I wonder if you'd do best to pick up a SW Premium HUO now (haven't followed pricing but HUO is generally 15-20% off NIB), then swap it out for a POTC next year when those will probably be a bit cheaper. Plus, one of these games seems to match your decor a bit better

Kind of thought the same thing. Never enough room or money for these things unfortunately. Thanks for input guys. Love to hear owners true opinions. Thanks

#6132 5 years ago

Mechanically and node boards holding up?

#6135 5 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

You win...
I've had to replace one plastic (right ramp). That's it.

Lol. Good to hear about positive experience with the game. Thanks

#6138 5 years ago

Good to hear positive reviews. I enjoy the game the few times I've played it. I appreciate the input guys. Thanks

#6141 5 years ago

Thanks guys. It's a tough decision. I have a hard time letting go of games, so either way is a long term decision.

#6147 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

I have both. Star Wars makes you a better player. Really tough but makeable shots. Great theme integration. I have had a node board fall apart on me. I have also had the Death Star LEDs fail. This is a very fun and challenging game that you won’t get tired of quickly since it is so challenging. Destroying the Death Star is very doable. Battling the Emporer is a stretch that is doable.
JJP POTC is just fantastic. Not from a movie integration perspective but a very good general pirates theme. Shots flow way more smoothly. Non-pinball players like POTC better than SW Premium. However I have had a lot of issues with the first run POTC. Others are saying the more recently manufactured ones are better. See the POTC thread for more.
The cost difference is significant though. I don’t think you will be disappointed either way. If I could only have one, I would go JJP POTC but hold off until the new year when they get the kinks worked out. If you want to become a better player, go SW. If you like the theme better, go SW. If you want a deep game that will take you forever to master, POTC.

Thanks. Great to hear from you having both. Is either one more easily understandable for non pinball people to get? Both seem a bit confusing especially potc.

1 week later
#6184 5 years ago

Any word on final code on this game getting polish? Sounds like wizard modes need work with victory laps etc. I'm looking at getting a premium, but it makes me a bit nervous knowing Dwight seems to never finish games like GB and SW. Any thoughts on current code and what's needed as of now?

#6189 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

You guys should try to understand that 'Dwight' is a team of people. He's the lead. He designed and coded the major stuff. This type of cleanup has nothing to do with him. He's way too expensive and precious a resource to go bug hunting. It's only stern priorization and cleanup team assignments from here on out.

So is he assigned to a specific "team"? Seems like other games like bm66, acdc, Metallica, Aerosmith, GOTG, and even kiss got code updates more often than SW and GB. Are those same teams working on those, or what's the deal. Even Beatles got an update already and nobody even has one practically. Seems like the Lyman games are a shoe in to be completed eventually, but I'm not sure on the others. Who else is a lead coder at stern? Just asking because I'm curious how it works.

#6191 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Whether the lack of updates for Dwight's games is a result of him not directing his assistants to work on them, or Stern not assigning someone, is an open question.

That's what I wondered. Seems like some better code support on specific games. Just what it looks like to me. Gotta feel bad for GB owners watching everything else get updated, and SW feels lacking as well. Feels like a trend. Was just curious.

#6194 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Huh. I don’t feel SW is lacking. I think code is pretty darn awesome. Has there ever been a pinball (that’s modern/complex) with perfect code...no bugs? That’s not a snarky question...just a real question.

I'm not saying it's bad, but I've heard several people say beating wizard modes is very underwhelming, and scoring not being displayed on achieving objectives at times. Why not finish it and make it a real accomplishment. I see other coders games getting updates more regularly now, yet SW and GB have fallen off the map. I have no doubt both will eventually be done, but GB desperately needs it, and games built years later are more frequently updated. When was the last Dwight game that was considered code complete and polished? Serious question just in conversation.

#6196 5 years ago

I'll also mention just for the sake of conversation, jjp is on pinside communicating with us. We know they are working on updates, and acknowledge bugs we submit. It would be nice to hear from stern more with better time tables. How do you think GB owners felt last week when my Metallica got an update? It just seems odd that it's Dwight's games typically lacking finish.

Sorry to derail thread BTW. I'm really looking at getting a SW premium, but listening to several owners complain about wizard modes and scoring made me wonder why. Thanks for the input on the game. Still would like to hear more about opinions from owners.

#6199 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I felt pretty good! I would love a GB update, but my Metallica got even better

Don't get me wrong. I loved the surprise Metallica update as well.

10 months later
#7714 4 years ago

I don't have any spike games. How have these held up? Node boards etc? Depth and lastability for replay value?

2 weeks later
#7887 4 years ago

I'd look at the switch the ball tests are n. It may not be activating like it should and the game lost the ball

2 weeks later
#8041 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

JUST RELEASED: Stern Pinball Star Wars Topper Accessory
- Limited Edition, sequentially numbered with LE plaque, limited to 500
- Fully interactive moving R2D2 with lighting effects
Get yours before they are GONE! You know you want one...
$749 plus $25 shipping
Shipping soon!
[email protected]
812.457.9711[quoted image]

What exactly are the lighting effects? Any updated video of it in action?

#8046 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

This is coming from Stern, the company that sells out LE's and SLE's before anyone even gets a chance to play them. Why would they think that with their customer base they'd have to show us the courtesy of providing any video at all?

That's exactly what I'm saying. No video or idea of what it actually does. After 2 years wait, seems like we should atleast see it in action first.

2 weeks later
#8155 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

No the machines are mechanically identical. Only difference is the artwork. I do agree the topper looks more matched with the original than th comic version though. Will be good to see photos of one installed on a comic art model.

There's images of the comic edition with topper in the sw topper thread. I totally agree the topper doesn't match well on comic edition, but looks much better on original art, especially the LE.

11 months later
#9667 3 years ago

I’m looking for a comic book premium if anybody is considering selling. Pm me if so. Thanks guys.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider konghusker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you?tu=konghusker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.