IMG_3171 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4042 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240411-000808 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #902 New LE/Premium Code readme - v0.89 Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #903 New Pro Code V0.89 ready Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #3340 How to adjust the ball guide to mitigate drains. Posted by Schwaggs (6 years ago)

Post #4911 Summary of shots needed for modes. Posted by Hoochoo (5 years ago)

Post #12080 Upgraded coil stops Posted by Crispy77 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frood1168.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10582 3 years ago

Hello all.

Hoping to get some advice. I'm completely new to owning my own pinball machine, and I have a Star Wars Premium coming soon I hope. Question I have is, what sort of protective components are advised for home use for this machine? I've seen various "plastics protectors" and "shooting ramp protectors" which on the surface sound like a good idea. I feel comfortable enough with tinkering, so that's not a concern so much as not wasting time / money on stuff that's not really needed. Thanks!

--Dan M.

3 weeks later
#10711 2 years ago

I haven't played pinball since i was a kid, 40 years ago. But I've wanted one for s long time, so i picked up a premium Star Wars.

While i love the aesthetic, and even the pay, I've been really bummed about one aspect of the game most: the left outlane is VERY hungry, and there's no finessing your way out. It makes it difficult to learn how to even pay the game when you're in the middle of doing some task and it goes out the left... It's almost unenjoyable for me -- I'm essential a complete novice, but this seems like something you have no control over.

I did see someone post a picture of a 3d part that protrudes out a bit too reduce the frequency of the losing the ball out that way.

What is the general thought on this? Does anyone have the file to print this extended post?

--Dan M.

#10719 2 years ago

Thanks for the posts on this problem of mine with the outlane. I hate the idea of modifying the original design/intent, but I'm only looking to enjoy at home, and the kids are definitely frustrated and don't enjoy it as-is. I might try and design my own post to 3D-Print something that works like the "siamese" double post, or John_I's custom part.

--Dan M.

#10736 2 years ago

Couldn't wait to get something, so I just mocked up my own an 3d printed it. Will probably redo in blue or white petg.

Although it looks tight, it still drains out that left side and still more than on right side. In the end, it's much more enjoyable for me and they family, and the kids especially.

--Dan M

59D16704-A532-4A20-B59A-E13E3BC03D4E (resized).jpeg59D16704-A532-4A20-B59A-E13E3BC03D4E (resized).jpegCD82A41B-3861-4676-B49C-31257B078D4A (resized).jpegCD82A41B-3861-4676-B49C-31257B078D4A (resized).jpeg
#10738 2 years ago

Here's a new question:

Now that I'm able to last a few rounds, I find myself a little confused over the gameplay. Is there an official/unofficial guide that describes how to progress through missions and unlock different modes? Google search produced a list with some strats, but I have a hard time visualizing. I've seen a few gameplay / strategy videos that describe some things, but it would be interesting to see each mission described using an image of the playfield so you could know visually what you're shooting for. I get so focused on trying to keep the ball in play that I can't even pay attention to the back display or the millions of flashing lights, trying to find the purple lights when there's blues and lost of other lights flashing.

Really enjoying the game now though. Even if I'm can't fully figure things out yet. Thanks!

--Dan M.

#10740 2 years ago
Quoted from Hoochoo:

While not showing pictures of the playfield, the link below might help you visualize the shots in each mission.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you/page/122#post-4709781
At first glance it can look way more complicated in this graph format than it really is but it should help.

This is very helpful. It's strange that there isn't something official that describes how to play the games. But like so many video games as well, there's no incentive to create the guides. If only there were millions of pinball players out there, that it would support something like a "prima guides" type of book > Thanks!

--Dan M.

#10750 2 years ago

After a couple requests for the STL files I used for my outlane post mod, I thought I'd put my version up on thingiverse to share with those folks who had a 3D printer to print them. Since they are already there, I figured I would share with anyone who wanted to try them out. I used an fdm printer, but a resin printer with a non brittle type resin (abs-like, or 'resilient') should work.

There are 9 different models with the post position set at multiple spots. The one in my pics is probably the most aggressive at 22mm from left wall, and 2mm up from bottom hole. The least aggressive is 12mm from left wall and 12mm up from bottom hole. They are spaced at offsets of 5mm from those positions.

I could easily modify if someone had a specific request.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4857256

--Dan M.
5F751D7C-D75E-4CBB-ACD3-88968B37BF40 (resized).jpeg5F751D7C-D75E-4CBB-ACD3-88968B37BF40 (resized).jpeg

#10826 2 years ago

Does anyone find that the Death Star shot doesn’t take, about 75% of the time? I hit it pretty hard up that ramp and it just kicks back down. Sometimes it drops behind the pop up ramp when it bounces back. There is a setting i saw, "Death Star holding power" which defaults to 85. Would that affect things? It's frustrating enough to hit as it is, but to see out kick back so much...

#10830 2 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

My success ratio is not as high (especially backhand shots, but I am not the best pinball player), but doing this made a BIG difference. This shot is really designed for that angle.

Got it. Thanks for the info. I've just relied on the built-in bubble, and used my iphone to level left/right. I'll see if I can get something more accurate. It's not like I don't ever make it, but it seems like there's a mechanical issue (maybe design?) more than anything else. If you make the shot with a reasonable amount of force, it should take IMO. I mean, I hit it pretty hard up in there...

#10834 2 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

Oh man found the video and watched it, very cool.

Could you (or someone) provide link to video? I searched the forum, and I did find the image of the hyperloop adjustment (the lock nut). I've already ordered a digital angle guage, but I'm thinking hyperloop adjustment for sure now that I saw the previous message about adjustments.

Thanks!

--Dan M.

1 week later
#10920 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Is there a way to adjust that scoop on the right? When it kicks the ball out it goes right down middle.

This was happening to me. About 50% of the time. I couldn't even get a piece of that ball as it jetted right down between the flippers. I found a setting somewhere, called "right eject" or something similar. I adjusted this down quite a bit. Don't remember the actual value. But maybe like 30 or something like that. It bounces out down to right flipper or the right triangle bumper thingy (sorry, not up on the lingo).

-- Suppose I should read ahead first... Seems like this was answered! Good luck.

--Dan M.

2 weeks later
#11019 2 years ago
Quoted from TheSoftBoiledEgg:

Just got a premium. Holy cow--these machine eats my breakfast! I have such incredibly wide ranges of scores--usually i can barely get far enough to feel like I skimmed the surface. Then randomly, one out of twenty or so games, I end up popping off. Do we all agree that this game is incredibly difficult!?
[quoted image]

I feel your pain. I think... I'm not a complete spaz on the machine, and feel like I can control the ball coming down the middle well enough, but I found that the left outlane eats balls like, well, a lot... With just myself and kids playing, I found this really damped the mood. More importantly, I couldn't figure out the game because I never got far enough ahead to see how things worked. After a few days, I ended up making a mod for this that you can 3-D print to replace the post on that outlane. If you have one, or access to a 3D printer (FDM or Resin) I put the files up on Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4857256

There are 9 versions with the post at different locations. Mine is the most "aggressive" (see image below).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you/page/215#post-6276590

At some point, I might mesh this with some themed scenic item, but that's not really in my wheelhouse...

--Dan M.

f102f60f679fcda3397c82aaa80bf7e1dd640182 (resized).jpgf102f60f679fcda3397c82aaa80bf7e1dd640182 (resized).jpg
#11020 2 years ago
Quoted from gorditas:

It is a hard game, no doubt. But I'm sure that it will make us both better players. Yoda is right, "control, you must have control!"

I get it. Control. But when the ball gets bouncing between the two triangle bumpers, there's a good chance it's going out the left outlane. What kind of control can you have to stop that from happening? Maybe I need to be slamming the machine around a bit to get it to bounce in advantageous ways. Seems you can do that to some degree without tilting. I've started to do it to keep the ball draining out of the right outlane when the escape isn't active, with mixed results.

Speaking of slamming the machine around: I saw a video of a guy who did a move where the ball was coming down the right outlane, about to drain into the center. He waited until just the right moment and slammed the machine hard to the right so the ball bounced into the left metal wall and then back up the middle into range of the flippers... It didn't tilt the machine, and he got it back... Neat trick. The channel called "Dead Flip" and I'm sure everyone who's into pinball knows about it, but I'm so new to this, I didn't realize it was so popular. Until I saw that shot, I didn't realize what was really possible. Back in the day, when I would go to the arcade with all my paper route money to play pinball, I didn't get to see a lot of good pinball players. The video games were drawing all the players away from the pins, but I still really like playing them.

--Dan M.

#11025 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

This is the thing I don't get. I've been reading on how bad the left oulane was so I printed a bunch of those posts while I waited for my game to arrive (Prem). I've had it a month now and we play a LOT. I wanted to see how it was while stock and frankly the left oulane is no worse than any other of my games. I didn't even move the factory post to the tightest position. My GF who plays OK but gets frustrated easy doesn't find it bad at all.
STTNG and JP are much worse for us.

This gets me to thinking now... After playing for a while, and seeing completely new players play, I will say that I think part of the problem is that new players are pretty much spazes with the flippers, so they're not trying to control the ball or the shots, and the ball is bouncing around a lot more randomly rather than with any control. Control would probably keep it from draining out the left so much... It is also why I made a few of those posts to be a lot less aggressive. Barely sitting out from the original position.

Honestly, I appreciate all the feedback. As I've said many times, I'm newly re-introduced to pinball and never was a "regular" player to begin with. But I do feel like I have some control now, compared to when I started. Thanks.

--Dan M.

2 weeks later
#11142 2 years ago

I have a Star Wars premium that I’ve had for two months now. The right outlane diverter twitches but never stays engaged. I power cycled it a couple times, same result.

Under the diagnostic test (with the 48v switch bypassed) I can see it twitch when I do the test. I’ve tried holding it in place to see if the coil holds, no go. I’ve put a volt meter on it and can see it come and then almost immediately it’s off. It is the same behavior measuring with the coil attached or not.

It seems like whatever is driving the coil is damaged. It just happened, and I’m planning to contact the folks I bought from (cointaker), but I had a couple questions:

A) has anyone needed to service their pin within first month or two, and what was that like?

B) has anyone had a similar problem? And is there anything on my end I can do to further isolate this—I’m quite comfortable with electronics and have tools.

Really bummed about this. Not sure what to expect service-wise. Thanks

#11144 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

Mine did the same thing but I can't remember what exactly i did to fix it. I think it was simply an adjustment to the tab that the magnet pulls in order to hold the gate, being too far away.

Tab, eh? Okay. I get it now, and it makes sense. You would not want to be driving the coil to hold the gate open, there must be a mechanism to hold it, like a pushbutton switch that push on, then push off... Maybe if someone else knows more and could offer any suggestions? I'll check it out now that I have that to go on. Thanks...

--Dan M.

#11154 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

Sorry effed up adjust this stopper with the black rubber.
[quoted image]

I see… I’ll check this out tomorrow. Just got done lighting up some mass fireworks. Thanks for the tip.

#11164 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammer3246:

Sorry effed up adjust this stopper with the black rubber.
[quoted image]

That was absolutely it... It makes sense now. When I was first looking at this, I could tell that the initial movement was very "tight" And it didn't occur to me that the stop would correct that. With the stop adjusted, the initial movement is much smoother, which allows the coil to pull the gate. And then there's probably a holding current that traps it, since I could not see any other mechanical mechanism. I should have known better, since this is the technique I used on a prototype direct drive telescope that used a friction brake held by about 8 of these types of coils.

In any case, you solved this one for me! Thanks!

Regards,
Dan M.

1 month later
#11309 2 years ago

I have a gameplay question. I've had my SW premium for about three months now. I've tried to find this info in rules, and on the forums and webs, and tried to figure out from gameplay as well, but nothing explains it that I could find:

1) The "escape" lane activates after the second round of force targets. What determines when it deactivates? Sometimes I go in, and it makes one sound, and it stays active. Other times, I hear a different sound, and it deactivates. I tried to pay attention to as many things as I could but was not able to figure out how to keep it active. Is it random, or something else?

2) The three shot multiplier lanes... They sometimes drop to two, or even one. I can't figure out what triggers that. As suggested for the less nimble players, I keep it set at hyperspace/left horseshoe, left ramp, and then right horseshoe. All lighted green. Every time I go to video mode, I don't get the multiplier -- like it went down to two active lanes. I have to move the active lane over at least one, but usually I have been moving it to the right horseshoe to get the multiplier if I'm going to do video mode.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frood1168.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you?tu=frood1168 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.