• Pro 130 votes
    27%
  • Premium 196 votes
    41%
  • LE 150 votes
    32%

(476 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,297 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

multiball-inserts-small (resized).jpg
Star_Wars_Character_Bracket_small (resized).jpg
FORCE-inserts-small (resized).jpg
87257640_861981904215254_7691088169915121664_n (resized).jpg
87359866_861981867548591_8146660380408545280_n (resized).jpg
86871689_861981784215266_4656586482713100288_n (resized).jpg
F9F2DC74-3A53-42BD-BFB6-E109EA1A999D (resized).jpeg
8E8E662B-70F3-4C1D-9258-260FCC3EB75D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
f5323f174591585d5a9c2793464007c8 (resized).jpg
20200120_191223 (resized).jpg
20200209_170112 (resized).jpg
20200209_161005 (resized).jpg
E141BFE7-2CC8-40FD-BFDF-7680394EE4F9 (resized).jpeg
20200206_152338 (resized).jpg
83796333_118762506187822_5691388423810580480_n (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #902 New LE/Premium Code readme - v0.89 Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #903 New Pro Code V0.89 ready Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #4911 Summary of shots needed for modes. Posted by Hoochoo (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#391 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There's one there stock.

A shooter lane protector? Or a scoop protector? (Or both)? I'm hoping for both!

#421 2 years ago
Quoted from Frli002:

Not anytime soon due to big problems with the deathstar.

Quoted from lapean111:

This isn't true. LEs on the line tomorrow.

I hope the second guy's right. First guy, what's your source?

#431 2 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

Which Cliffy works for this game (is Spike different from SAM for this)?

Cliffy makes a Spike-specific shooter lane ball eject protector, which you can order directly from him:
http://www.passionforpinball.com/ballejects.htm

HankScorpio is also making shooter lane ball eject protectors out of clear makrolon polycarbonate, and is planning to make them for Spike system machines soon. I'm planning to give his a try (nice that you can still see the wood through the protector):
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1082-pin-mods/01064-nudies-clear-shooter-lane-eject-protectors

#437 2 years ago

Can you tell us more about the Death Star problems you say will substantially hold up production of LEs? If you know something, why not share it?

#516 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I titan rubbered mine last night

Do you have a rubber list? Didn't see one up on the Titan website.

Also, any thoughts on whether the Premium/LE would need any additional/different rubbers? From looking at the playfield pics nothing leaps out as different rubber-wise.

#521 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

The only adjustment I personally made was on the #8's on the post at the top of the inlane roll downs I changed to the smaller post rubber 3/8" OD as I like the way it plays better.

Do you find that this change directs more balls to the outlanes (i.e. makes the game harder)? Or the opposite?

#528 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

great, thanks. i suppose it might be reassuring that the premiums will probably have all the issues and code worked out by then....hopefully.

That's the beauty of Premium -- let them work out any kinks on the LEs (and early Pros)! Sadly though, I don't think history supports Stern being at final code by the time they start shipping Premiums ...

#566 2 years ago
Quoted from phalcon_2600:

I'm planing to get a premium but I'm going to wait for a wile. They may have some special LE they are going to announce after all the original LE Games are sold. Like mabye a vader or boba fett edition LE, ect...

If they go the "Luci" route, maybe a "Bronze Bikini Leia" edition is in your future.

#576 2 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Aw man...spoiler alert next time please!

Quoted from Butch2099:

I think it was a question, not a list of what's in there

And his post was a joke about spoilers for a movie that came out in 1981!

#588 2 years ago
Quoted from DerRoland:

Don´t comment that.

From the machines on route around here I can tell you that's what any Star Wars is going to look like pretty quickly if you play it. There's a long running debate about whether that's always happened to pinball machines or not (steel ball vs wood and all) or is a newer phenomenon, but in any case any modern Stern (and I assume JJP and Spooky too) machine is going to show some dimpling.

#618 2 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Oh I do love LOTR. I do not however have the funds available to purchase one.

You could turn your SW into an LOTR without too much trouble!

1 week later
#700 2 years ago
Quoted from Bramvk:

Been playing my Pro now for two days...Lot of fun but hard. Very very very fast game and that death star loop is killing me with SDTM coming out. No long ball times on this machine.

To be fair, I think he's already worked his way through GOT, SW and now TWD over the course of a month - he likes to buy 'em, play the hell out of them for a short time, and then move 'em along.

#716 2 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

Looks like the first container of SW Pros for Australia has been pushed back to September now.

Don't you guys usually get Pros first (before the US even)? Wonder what happened.

#720 2 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

I'm sure everyone has seen the below mod. I'm not affiliated w/ it in anyway, but I just think it's a simple and great fix to make the mini-lcd fit the theme. Kudos to the creator. Has anyone else come up with anything?
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1012-ulekstore/01106-armor-mod-for-small-lcd-display-for-star-wars-pinball-

I like it - I'd like one that covered up the bottom text even more (don't think it's necessary since the screen shows what's going on, and the text looks out of place on the playfield).

#734 2 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

frli002 has been trolling about this for a while. He is full of shit.

I don't know whether he's trolling but he keeps saying there's something wrong with the Death Star and then disappearing when people ask for details or a source.

1 week later
#807 2 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Added some ships to the left side. MF and 2 x-wings

Did you just hot glue the X-wings onto the back of the lamps? Or do you have some other connection scheme there?

#858 2 years ago
Quoted from speederice:

Unfortunately, we could not let Chewie enter because Wookies are known to pull pinball machines' legs out of the sockets when they lose.

Now that is a mod!

#881 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Beelzeboob's distributor just told him his Le number was #801?! Maybe Stern will make one more just for you? Good luck with that.
Sorry Beelzeboob.

So you're saying there's a chance I'll get my Premium before boob gets his LE?

1 week later
#987 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's like anything else, either you'll like it or you won't; no one else can tell you. As many of us have said over and over the complexity of multipliers can be ignored and you can just have fun playing the modes.

Agreed that there's no need to worry about the multipliers in SW if you're not sweating score and just want to have fun and advance through the modes. That said, looking at the colonel's collection, he doesn't have any early SS games on the go. If he prefers simple, straightforward gameplay, adding a few mid-80s classics for the price of one Stern Pro might not be a bad idea.

1 week later
#1050 2 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

The white tmolding looks good and white or maybe all chrome will pop.

I somehow missed that the Premium has the white molding as well. Guess I'll see how it looks in person, but where would you buy black replacement molding (and how much of a PITA would it be to remove the old?)

#1098 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

i agree i don't think of red when I think of a good Star Wars color. I like the mystic purple, hope you can find some purple molding to match better then the red.

Black molding would work well, avoid the risk of clashing purples. I'm not sure why they used colored molding on these to begin with, good old black makes a nice subtle frame for the translite and screen, which is what you should be focusing on when you're looking up there anyway.

#1120 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Speaking of which, is anybody else here annoyed by Yoda at this point? I hope future code updates will allow us to shut him the f**k up by hitting both flipper buttons. It only speeds up the bonus process, but his clip plays out to the end. If he tells me I'm reckless one more time I'm gonna put my fist through the LCD screen.

No offense, but you're coming off a little reckless here.

#1159 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I think the red looks fine. Maybe not with purple, but it looks good stock.

I'm not a huge fan of the colored molding, kind of distracts from the translite art and looks a little cheap IMO. I'll have to look into getting some black molding ...

#1169 2 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

https://www.t-molding.com
Not bad but use a rubber mallet to get it back in.

It's easy to change. Simply pull out carefully and snap new molding in. Then cut with good scissors or a razor blade at the end.
Just google online. Lots of places sell it. I always just bought from the place that had the cooor I wanted. Black should be easy to find.

Do I want the 3/4", Slot Width 1/16" t-molding? Like this?:
https://www.t-molding.com/3-4in-black-t-molding.html

#1239 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

My pro turned to the dark side!

Where'd you score the new translite? Bought straight from Stern? Or did you find an LE owner willing to sell?

#1241 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

fosaisu somebody who presumably owns an LE was selling their alt. translites on eBay.

Nice score, it looks great!

#1252 2 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

This doesn't pop?

But like you said, to each their own.

I'm putting one of these in my mini LCD too. Bland and generic with the stock thick black bezel, plus the "targets increase shot multiplier" sticker with random font and mismatched black color looks like crap. The Laseriffic option is a nice upgrade.

Even if you hate the Laseriffic bezel, at least take off that text sticker. It's an eyesore.

IMG_9174 (resized).JPG

#1253 2 years ago

DUPE

#1262 2 years ago
#1264 2 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Also what's up with 2-Way combos equal 130K points? That's like less than 1 penny in a Billion point game!

Multipliers, baby!

#1268 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

fosaisu I installed the nudie shooter lane protector. Not that easy, but certainly doable. I pushed it back from the edge of the lane as far as I could, but it hangs over very slightly. Gives great protection, but sometimes the ball will get hung on the end of it after kick out (hope this wears slightly and it won't do it, and it makes the ball drag slightly at the beginning of the plunge. If your used to plunging at a certain strength, it may take a little more to get that golden skill shot. It does protect the edge well. Hopefully the idiosyncrasies work out as the plastics slightly wears.

I can see it's overhanging the shooter lane a bit, that seems sub-optimal. I wonder if the fit is slightly different machine to machine? Maybe it would help to shave the outer edge down with a razor blade (of course may be hard to do this while retaining the "invisible" look of the material). Could also slightly expand the screw hole size, but I imagine it would just creep back into the lane over time ...

#1270 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Both are good ideas...you really have to install it to see. The razor shaving is the best option. I will try that tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Cool - I hope you'll be removing it first to avoid hacking up your beautiful new shooter lane!

#1282 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

Added a small "mod" to my Premium. Trying to see if I can light it up with bright LED's from the backside if the Hyperspace loop is running.

Ha, awesome! But you should have put the quotation marks around "small", not "mod."

#1318 2 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

Hey guys is a shaker a must on his game ? Yay or nay ?

If you're looking at one, check Pinball Life. $85 each if you can find a buddy to buy one at the same time as you (or if you decide to throw one in your GB as well).
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3710

#1342 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

Star Wars Premiums......crickets..
I thought they were making a batch this week? anybody have some insight?

Mine just shipped. Arriving Monday.

#1345 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

fosaisu I installed the nudie shooter lane protector. Not that easy, but certainly doable. I pushed it back from the edge of the lane as far as I could, but it hangs over very slightly. Gives great protection, but sometimes the ball will get hung on the end of it after kick out (hope this wears slightly and it won't do it, and it makes the ball drag slightly at the beginning of the plunge. If your used to plunging at a certain strength, it may take a little more to get that golden skill shot. It does protect the edge well. Hopefully the idiosyncrasies work out as the plastics slightly wears. And whoever made the new cards...THANKS! Printed on photo paper and they look awesome!

To install the nudie shooter lane protector, did you remove the apron? Anything else major that needs to come out, or do you have access to the bolts you need at that point?

#1429 2 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You can absolutely do whatever you want on your game. But at least Steve answered the question of whether or not this was intentional.
Marc

True. Though it's still not clear what's different b/w the Pro and LE that makes that post necessary for one but not the other.

#1492 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes there's a thread on the topic... no need to post in every single thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-of-the-union-address#post-3998305

I think it's cool to post the Star Wars specific update news over here -- that thread seems like more of a general discussion on Stern's seemingly revised approach to communications re: code updates.

#1507 2 years ago

I love all the translite mix 'n' match going on here! I also like the Pro translite and was thinking of picking one up to swap into my Premium. zenomorp, where did you get yours?

#1516 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Nobody wants an LE translite?
Rob

The LE translite isn't really my bag. But I imagine people won't be selling those left and right since they'll be harder to come by and it might be hard to sell an LE machine down the road without the stock translite (whereas LE owners may be selling their "extra" Premium and Pro translites on eBay as we speak).

#1523 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Is there anywhere that a tutorial on the multipliers is written? Because clearly I have no idea WTF I'm doing. Didn't even know you could "move them around." Say whaaaaaat?

For reals? (Sorry but it's been discussed so much in the SW threads it's hard to believe you're not joking here).

#1525 2 years ago

Quick version: the X arrows below each shot are the multiplier indicator. If green, that shot is multiplied (base of 2x, up to 40x). To move multipliers around, hit center button once, use flippers to shift (and note that X arrows are now red, meaning multipliers are NOT engaged), them center button again to lock them in (they'll turn green again).

#1527 2 years ago

Basic strategy is to put multipliers on shots you know will be big (i.e. Hyperspace DS shot, final shot of a mode, etc.) to get a potentially crazy score boost.

Alternately just keep them on DS and surround shots which are pretty commonly used. But be aware that you may accidentally turn them off pounding the center button to kill TIE Fighters. In which case you'll need to re engage them.

Good time to shift them around is in mystery select, or when ball is in the pops.

All much easier said than done!

#1566 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Im curious to hear more on the video mode especially as people play it more. Repetitive? challenging? too long? need more/less? My first impression is I think it looks sweet. It may be a little cheesy with todays technology, but what video mode in pinball is not cheesy And kudos for Dwight/Steve for implementing the first video mode into an LCD and taking a risk with it. It could have been worse, it could have been GOT 2.0 video mode

There's a menu setting to decrease the length of the video mode, which will be useful if it ends up feeling like a drag. I enjoyed playing it a few times last night, but will be interesting to see how it wears. I like fast and intense video modes (like dagger dodging in The Shadow). This one lets you take a number of hits (though you can't get max points if you take hits), so it runs a little longer.

#1569 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also if you get video mode lit from the drops and you have Hoth I lit, when you play you will play it back to back. 2 different levels.

Interesting! I was wondering about this. So Han and Leia have to (get to?) play the video mode twice per game then?

#1587 2 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Thanks jints56. You were right. That bugger was still zipped! Man, I'm such a dumdbass. I never thought of myself as any sort of IT guy There wasn't an "unzip" option, but there was an "extract" option, which when selected, put a new open folder on the desktop. I transferred that to the flash, and now I'm updating! Can't wait. I'm not working today, so lightsaber duel get ready!!! Thanks for bringing the unzipping up.

Don't feel bad, I'm a bit of a tech guy but still found Sterns' instructions pretty vague and had to come search on Pinside to figure out how to do my first update this week!

#1659 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Pick R2-D2 (leaving your shot multipliers on longer letting you concentrate on other things more than the risky 3 bank).

Question, does R2-D2 make the bonus multiplier last longer? Or does he make the bonus multiplier stay "wide" through higher levels of bonus (i.e. the multiplier drops from three down to two inserts and then two down to one at certain multiplier levels, but those levels are higher with R2 than with the other characters)? Of course either of these is pretty good, but I read the in-game menus to suggest that it's the second.

#1699 2 years ago

I'm undecided on it so far, my wife and kid seemed to like it as something different. I think it's simple and goes for quite a while, but I guess I can lower the time later.

Yeah, I'm going to shorten the time on mine. I do think it hurts it that you can hit asteroids and keep going. I think a one-and-done collision system is good in video modes, keeps the tension high and keeps 'em short!

#1729 2 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

The Star Wars family is now complete

Love that rug!

#1763 2 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

I'm torn between staying on .92 (I've had zero issues) or reverting to .89. Have very many reverted?

Do you have a Pro or Premium/LE? If Pro, there's no reason to revert (issue is only with the DS ramp). If Premium/LE, I'd either revert to 0.89 if you really want to play right now, or wait a day or two for the revised code to drop to save yourself the hassle of updating again then.

#1792 2 years ago

You can thank me for this -- I finally rolled my Premium back to 0.89 this morning, thereby causing release of the new code. You're welcome!

#1795 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

What is up,with the code update choices,
Quick no verify
Quick verify
Full no verify
Full verify.
I choise full with verify.

These are apparently always the standard choices with a Stern upgrade. I've been choosing "Quick/Verify".

#1799 2 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

Just to let you know read me says there should be 2 files, but in essence you need all 3 files on usb drive to do update correctly. Discussed with Chaz at stern. They probably will update the read me file.

So 0.93 unpacks as three files? The previous updates were only two files.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

I could be wrong, but I believe verify (full or quick) verified the image on your usb stick. If you know you have the right file and it’s unzipped correctly, you can go no verify.
Full vs quick. Again, I could be wrong but I believe full is the entire code to date from start to finish; wipes everything and reinstalls the whole kaboose. Quick is just an import of any code releases not currently in your main database.

I'm not certain, but when I did Quick/Verify with 0.89 this morning (doh!), I believe it did the verification after it copied the code over. So I understood it to be verifying the copy in the pinball's memory against the copy on the USB drive. Doesn't mean it is a necessary step, of course.

#1809 2 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

If Jim Henson were still alive and developed a series on HBO based on SWLE it would be called: "Fraggle Turd"

You went a long way around for that joke ...

#1862 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I find the Death Star shot and left orbit shot really difficult to hit.
Anyone have tips?

Go play a Premium or LE. When you come back to your Pro the Death Star shoot will feel much easier!

Sorry, couldn’t resist. One thing you might try is play a number of games not worrying about your score and just trying to hit those two shots. Also, are you getting control of the ball first or trying to hit those shots on the fly?

#1889 2 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

Snooped at your collection and see you have a Pro. Any buyers remorse so far that you didn't go Premium?
I'm considering a SW but don't want a repeat of my TWD experience (love my Pro but finally starting to wish I went Premium on that one).

The Premium is awesome - hyperloop is a great toy, much cooler IMO than an upper playfield or what have you. That said, it's definitely harder to play, since the Death Star shot is much tougher when the ramp is up. Whether you enjoy that extra challenge (and the rush when you get balls circulating in the Hyperspace Loop) or find it overly frustrating will depend on you.

And then there's the art package, which you can judge for yourself (I'd include the all-metal ramps and habitrails as more of an aesthetic than a functional difference. They do look pretty though).

Whether any of this is worth the extra money (is it like $2k more or something?) is another question. Hard to justify the spread, but then I'd feel that way about any Stern Premium, since the Pros tend to be good, solid fun.

#1895 2 years ago
Quoted from Stepan:

Everyone I see hit the hyperloop ramp is immediately impressed.

Yeah, the Hyperspace Loop is pretty damn awesome. Excellent integration of sound and lighting with the balls whipping around, it really is an adrenalin rush (especially since the Death Star ramp is a tough shot, so it feels like a real accomplishment when you get the multiball going, or nail the Hyperspace Hurry Up just as it starts with a big multiplier on for a billion points).

#1928 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I not only played it, but completed it FOUR times in one game yesterday.

OK, now you're just bragging

#firstworldproblems
#firstballproblems

#1958 2 years ago
Quoted from Sprudeldudel:

From a hardware POV you can move the posts that define the width of the outlane entrances. There are holes in place to do this. It is intended to be done. No drilling or anything like that. Thats a geometry change, but the difficulty remains high because it doesn't do much to the STDMs.
In Software there are settings for
- auto-plunger strength to reduce the number of drains without flipper contact.
- mystery hole eject strength. This serves to avoid STDM from the eject and also to gain control.
- Ball save times. these can be set differently for different events aka multiaballs etc.
The latter doesn't do much for me because to me personally, a lost ball still feels lost, even if it is replaced.

If you’re getting SDTM drains from the mystery hole eject that can also be adjusted (physically adjust the mechanism, or change the eject power in settings).

#1989 2 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

“I hit video mode once with multiplier at 40X [for 650,000,000]”
So does that mean video mode multiplers do work afterall? I’m confused

Maybe the multiplier works with "Video Mode" but not with "Hoth 1" mode (which happens to be the same exact video mode, of course)? Haven't quite figured it out yet myself.

1 week later
#2061 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

There are at least three that I've noticed (tough to tell when you're busy trying to keep your eye on the ball). The John Williams music is prevalent enough in the game that you won't feel like you need to load any more. They really work well with the game play (especially the TIE fighter mode!).

Agreed - I was a little bummed to read they didn’t have full access to the movie scores, but they make excellent use of what they got and the new music written for the game works very well. I may check out the pinball browser score just for fun someday, but the music on this game is great as is.

#2063 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

True! the only music I don't think fits for some reason is during the end of ball count up
Also I think it would be cool if after video scenes the transition would be like how they cut scenes in the first movies by running a line from top to bottom separating the video if that makes sense?

That would be awesome - they use a couple of different styles of wipes in the movies. Would be cool if those could be integrated into the game!

#2069 2 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Today i received my NIB premium, production August 2017. i noticed that the goody bag has a post assembly. Anyone knows why this is supplied ?

Not positive, but is that for the weirdos that like to add a bounce-back post between the flippers?

1 week later
#2146 2 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

I'm very curious to see what this topper will be and hopefully worth the wait. In addition to any other little items they have (side art, shooter rod? etc.). The Stern state of the union post mentions that it will be near the holiday season. Does that mean the US Thanksgiving holiday in November or Christmas or Hanukkah in December or Holi next March or Ramadan next May?!?! Ready by the holidays means nothing unless they state which religious faith they follow for their releases. My head is going to explode!

In the US, "the Holidays" has a specific meaning: the Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/New Years period (early December-early January). So if you're hoping to see that topper at Thanksgiving (whether Canadian or US), you're probably out of luck.

#2160 2 years ago
Quoted from Bzamborski:

Dumb question, I’m pretty sure there is a way to turn off the end of game ‘match’ segment so it doesn’t even occur. Is that possible? I just hate that it uses the shaker regardless.

Yes, you can turn match off entirely in the menus.

#2183 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

The xwing toy is pretty much the same mech as the vengance from st just a smaller model. Didnt hear many complaining about st

In fairness to ST, the Vengeance also had a drop target and a magnet as part of the overall "toy." I'm not complaining, I like the TIE Fighter fine as-is. But it's definitely less involved than the Vengeance.

#2186 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The TIE fighter toy is definitely kind of lame. When it gets caught behind the LCD, it makes it look even cheaper. I adjusted it so it would not get caught as often.
It's also too bad it's just a standard target...a captive ball would have been cooler (but would take up more space). Seems like SR was trying to cram as many targets/shots as possible. There is a lot to shot for...

Yeah, a captive ball or a ball-catching magnet sounds cool in theory, but I'm not sure how you'd wedge it in with all the ramps, orbits, and targets up there already! Which is not to say that the TIE Fighter is a super-cool toy or whatever, just that at some point the design works pretty well as-is, and it's not clear that adding more bits to this table layout would improve gameplay.

#2195 2 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I love all these strategies people talk about, they must work well, but are you all doing this in the 10secs between each ball..)
One mistake, lose control and its sucked out the sides on mine . I’m not that bad of a player , but its busting my balls every game still

Do you have it at too shallow of a pitch? If you're at less than 6.5 degrees, I bet the side-to-side action off the slings would be a real killer.

[EDIT: Which is not to say it's not a tough and fast-playing game regardless. Just imagining that if you're getting too many outlane dranes, pitch could be an issue]

#2213 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I feel like the Tie Fighter is so important to the theme, that it would have been nice to spend a few more bucks and add some detail, LED's, whatever (even if it doesn't effect gameplay in a big way). Maybe an opportunity for mod folks out there...
snaroff

Totally agreed - or even something to nicely the chintzy looking spring under it! As you say, maybe an opportunity for modders there, will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with anything cool.

#2286 2 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Forgive me if this has been talked about somewhere in here already.
I played one at a friends house and the code seemed very good for a stern game. As far as I got in the game anyway.
What do you guys think will be added or fixed? Its not even 1.0 code yet

It's evidently not for everyone, but I agree that the code is very good! I wouldn't expect big changes at this point. SW got to feature-complete code very quickly by Stern's standards, and all the characters and modes are in the game already. Sounds like they'll be polishing up a thing or two, but IMO any major changes to the code would be a surprise at this point, and would be because Dwight wants them, rather than because they're "needed."

#2314 2 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

How are owners feeling about SW at this point? I'm considering buying one. I have played a few games of both the Pro and the Premium, but I'm interested in hearing from folks that own it and have played it dozens or hundreds of times.

I'm still loving my Premium after hundreds of plays. It's very challenging but at least for me in a "one more game" kind of way, and there are a nice number of different goals to pursue beyond just GC scores for the four characters. Many people were disappointed by the layout, artwork and "theme integration" but I think it all works pretty well together, and I actually really like the sound and light show (I don't tend to watch the LED much while I'm playing, way too much going on for that). And the shot multiplier (and TIE Fighter wack-a-mole) with the center button are great IMO, I love the risk/reward of shooting the mini-LED targets and taking your hand off a flipper to manipulate. You'll feel like a chump when you blow it and let the ball drain while shooting TIE Fighters, and like an ace when you switch your 20x multiplier correctly and then nail your shot.

#2327 2 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Either Star Wars Prem /LE or Star Wars Pro are great . I have now played both multiple times.
I think the SW Pro is a better game . It just shoots better and is smoother. Easier Death Star shot .
Same as Game of Thrones Pro . It is best from a game play perspective .
That hold true for Star Wars Pro as well.
This just a point of view and other have good counterpoint .

I own a Premium and prefer it, but also really like the Pro, and I can understand where people that like the Pro better are coming from. And of course doesn’t hurt that it’s ~$2k cheaper.

#2362 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any word on Stern Accessories yet?

This month’s “Stern of the Union Address” says they’re working on accessories but nothing until after the holidays.

#2379 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For Lightsaber Battle is it only Obi Wan vs Vader or is there also Luke vs Vader stages / variants?

Lightsaber Battle is Obi Wan only (it’s the fight scene from the original SW). The Hoth level Duel on Cloud City and Endor level Throne Room Duel represent the Luke/Vader fights from the other movies.

#2384 2 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

Agree to me all it’s missing is more pinball/gameplay specific call outs and add some info to the small LCD and it’s perfect . Also a few bugs

Quoted from Hazoff:

I would like a dedicated mode for Jabba like Boba Fett or a few more dedicated character modes but its amazing as is.

No way that's going to happen at this point, though "choke Jabba out by hitting the lit shots" would be kind of awesome. I'm hoping they'll add a new Hoth mode of some kind (leaving the asteroids video game for video mode only), but that's probably unrealistic too. More callouts would be welcome as well, even if a few idiots on Pinside are still convinced that the narrator is doing a horrible Admiral Ackbar impression.

Regardless, looking forward to the 1.0 update, should be dropping any day/week now.

#2386 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Does 1.0 sound like that will be it for a while or will Stern do another update or two before moving on to wrap up Ghostbusters?

I don't think I've read anything specific about that from Stern. My gut feeling is we get SW 1.0 (and hopefully a quick 1.01 to mop up any bugs introduced in 1.0) but that'll be pretty much it. They've been at the "tweaks around the edges" stage for the last few updates, the game's been feature complete for a while now and is in very solid shape (note the lack of complaints about code completeness/bugs in the SW threads from people vs. GB threads). So I'm not expecting significant changes from here on out.

1 month later
#2832 2 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

I dig the shaker and it's super easy to install. My ONLY hesitation of a full endorsement is that it activates each time you mash the button leading up to tie fighter multi ball. I'm probably in the minority, but that use is just a bit too busy IMO.

The shaker is overused in video mode. Otherwise great.

Do either of these change if you adjust the shaker settings in the menu? Or does that only affect intensity, not frequency?

1 week later
#2912 2 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

It probably just adds a bunch of unnecessary CGI graphics over the current lcd scenes...

Plus Greedo shoots first!

#2965 2 years ago

There is opportunty to utilize both screens in parallel with the video mode. Leaving the Asteroids for Hoth 1 frees up the proper video mode for anything from any of the movies.
how about lukes the jedi traing against that flying drone. keep it in focus with the left and right buttons, based on it location shown at the top screen. defend against its shots with the center button, which are shown on the lower screen.
that could be quite engaged...

Agreed. I'm OK with Hoth I being the Asteroid Field mode (since Han and company escaped Hoth via the asteroid field). The real issue is that Hoth I and Video Mode are identical. They should just change whichever one they have a cool mini-game idea for. Wishful thinking since we're already at 1.0 code, but it'd be an awesome addition to an already great game.

I love the idea of adding bonus items to the Asteroid Field. Make a bit more of a game out of it. I'm OK with collisions being non-fatal (since they were in the movie) but as it stands now the mode runs too long without enough to do. Make it shorter (with fatal collisions) or add more stuff to aim for. This may also be unlikely since these changes would probably require a few rounds of code tweaking to balance the scoring, but it would be cool.

#2968 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I don't think it is necessarily wishful thinking given Stern just said last week that more tweaks and code polish will be coming in the near future. I get that stern has been slow with code development but with this title in particular they have been pretty good to date with updating things.

I interpreted "tweaks and code polish" as something less than the addition of entirely new modes, more like adjustments to scoring imbalances and cleanup of any remaining bugs. Doesn't mean I won't be ecstatic if Dwight goes further and adds even more substance, of course! And since he's rumored to own the game, that's certainly a possibility. Just trying to manage my expectations, since SW already has deep and seemingly pretty much complete code.

#2981 2 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Since yesterday my Death Star lamps are always on, never noticed that before. Should it be on or off in gameplay?

It’s always on (and has been that way since the first code I think). I’d prefer to have the Death Star only light up when you blow it up, myself.

#3015 2 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

At the risk of redundancy, is the game complete code wise minus the mode gripes above? Like, is there a final wizard mode that's actually fun? Or is it like ghostbusters where something happens, but it's really nothing(we're ready to believe you)? I'm interested in a SW pro but don't want to be "Ghostbustered" by code

There's a wiki rulesheet here that looks like it was updated in December (maybe not after 1.0 code dropped though):
http://www.tiltforums.com/t/star-wars-stern-rulesheet/2812/5

IMO, the game is code complete. As discussed above they use the same video game for two modes ("Video Mode" and "Hoth I") which is kind of lame, but that may have been the intention from the start. Would be cool if they add another video mode at some point but I wouldn't count on it.

The Final Wizard Mode is "Jedi Multiball," which I have not reached but my understanding is it's fully coded. Per the wiki rulesheet:

Jedi Multiball: The final wizard mode of the game. Start Jedi Multiball by completing the following tasks:
•Become a Jedi Master (through the standup targets)
•Complete Lightsaber Duel
•Complete Escape from Boba Fett
•Destroy 100 TIE Fighters
•Start Destroy the Death Star
•Start Battle over Endor
•Start Escape from Hoth
•Start Escape from Tatooine

Once all the objectives to reach Jedi Multiball have been completed, shoot the left ramp. Before Jedi Multiball begins, you will receive a score bonus based on how many medals (if any) you acquired in Victory Multiball.

Jedi Multiball is a battle against the Emperor: Darth Sidious. Jedi “Multiball” actually starts as a single-ball mode (with a ball saver), and can be played with a single ball if necessary. Hit all the blue shots to stop the Emperor’s advances, and launch a second ball into play. Complete them again to defeat him. If you take too long to hit a blue shot, another one will be added, so in theory you could drag this mode out as long as you want. Defeating the Emperor will show a cool ending sequence, losing by draining your ball will generate a cool quote (but not end your ball). Doesn’t seem to be particularly very high-scoring at the moment - the medal bonus seems to be worth a lot more than the mode itself.

Win or lose, you will return to the character selection screen, where you must pick a different character to start another loop of the game.

What the game does not have is a "super-final" wizard mode if you sequentially achieve Jedi Multiball playing as each of the four characters. I will never, ever be capable of doing that, nor will the vast majority of players. And there's no indication that Dwight ever intended to include a wizard mode of this kind. But it would be cool if he tucked something in there. Could even be an easter egg of some kind (maybe a Jawa or Admiral Ackbar multiball?) I wouldn't let that dissuade me from buying the game though since it seems more like an "it'd be cool if they added this" rather than a missing feature that should clearly be there, but others may view it differently.

#3092 2 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

So, I just wanted to throw this out there but I got my Star Wars Pro from the Homesense store (outlet for Home Goods). My wife randomly came across it, brand new (but out of box) in their store advertised as an LE for $4999. Signed up for their card for 10% off and bought it for $4499. I later learned that it wasn't the LE edition (after I brought it home) so I called their corporate office and got a $500 gift card for the issue. So, all in all, I came away with the Pro model for a cool $4k. I'd imagine that the one in my store isn't the only one they bought, so if you have one of these stores around you might want to just check for the heck of it. They seemed to indicate that they pick these sorts of things up at auctions.

Sweet deal! Never heard of Homesense or Home Goods, is that a nationwide chain?

#3109 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Since there are no toys on the right side of the playfield (OK, left side, too I decided to engineer a vision of Tatooine over the gobble hole.

I don’t mean to criticize, but to me it resembles a wretched hive of scum and villainy ...

1 week later
#3222 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Play as Han, and choose +5 Tiefighters. Hit the tie target and pound the button to build the tiefighters. Also start making Hoth shots until Hoth 1 lights. Go for the 35 tiefighters to start Tiefighter Multiball. Once multiball is done your multiplier should be up there above 30x just from bounces during MB. Keep it alive until Video mode and/or Hoth 1 light up (preferably both), and make the Hoth inner loop shot with the high multiplier on it. You'll do video mode then once or twice with a high multiplier, and a cool billion points after this is not uncommon, especially with 40X on the Hoth loop and both video mode & Hoth 1 consecutive. Play modes from there, and keep building Tiefighters as you can for some extra balls (if enabled)....until Lightsaber Duel slows things down!

Solid strategy, which leads me to hope Dwight will tweak the video mode scoring again (they're still worthless with no multiplier, of course, which is fine). IMO top score for each video mode -- 40x multiplier, booster all the way, no collisions -- should be capped at ~500 million. Still lucrative but slightly less dominant.

#3241 2 years ago
Quoted from Sarge:

How do you guys keep your helmet from fogging up while playing?

I’ve been having the same problem over here ...

EC76BD47-38E0-4026-BB5F-FAF3A954AF5B (resized).jpeg

#3246 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I have that same LOTR poster...

Nice -- I hadn't noticed that (ripped that pic off of google, not me with the Vader bong I swear). But I actually had the same poster back in college! I should dig that out of the basement and get it back into action.

1 week later
#3379 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

I really want to add the Millinium Falcon on the left, tie and X wings on the spot lights.

These X-Wings and TIE Fighters are very nice and probably the most popular options (you can find them cheaper on e-bay without the cards and packaging):
amazon.com link »

#3416 1 year ago
Quoted from John1210:

Still dont get the attraction of those bezels. Makes it look too busy and detracts from the screen imo the clean black looks way better.

Fair enough. But you should peel off that terrible stock sticker, it looks like crap. Not sure why they couldn’t bother to match the font or the shade of black properly.

#3429 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Where did you get the LE rails?

Quoted from Yelobird:

I opened the SW manual, went to the cabinet page, wrote down the part numbers, called a distributor and placed an order for some replacement parts! Easy piesy. Did I think it would be that easy? Heck No! Do I think Stern would take the order without question, Still No! Nothing stolen, no bragging just wanted something and wasn’t afraid to just ask to buy it. Simple enough. Do I think they may watch this more closely, don’t know just know I was glad I asked instead of assumed. They look amazing, they are OEM,(no dude)and we are happy with the result.

Cheers to yelobird for the inspiration! I did likewise, called a distributor and politely asked about ordering the specific part number for the LE Side Armor (535-1729-25-00 and 535-1729-25-01, from pg. 40 of the Premium/LE manual). I did not flag the fact that I was ordering parts that did not come stock with my machine -- I wouldn't do that with any other part order, and why should the distributor care anyway? Plus I figured if Stern doesn't want to sell me the parts they can always say no. Which they did not, and I've got the side armor in hand today. They weren't cheap, but they will make a nice addition to my Premium.

[EDIT: I've been told by PM that a number of distributors are now saying Stern won't ship the LE side armor, so this might be YMMV or might no longer be possible at all. But if you're interested and have ten minutes to make a few calls, it still could be worth a try.]

#3491 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah it is a beverage cooler. The lid was originally clear, but I removed it, turned it upside down and sprayed it with fusion metallic paint. I didn't have to tape off the decals and now it looks more like the real R2!

So what do you keep in it?!?

#3518 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Do we have any word on if there are more updates planned?

You never know for certain, rumor is that Dwight owns the game so if there is more he wants to add for his own enjoyment, we could all benefit from that. But I wouldn't count on any more big changes to the code, just minor tweaks and bug fixes like in this update.

#3613 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I haven't had that issue cause I play so Crappy I have yet to crack that dam Death Star open! I'm starting to believe it will be out of warranty before I verify if it even works!

Have you tried Endor mutiball? Much easier way to blow the Deathstar than defeating Deathstar multiball (which I still haven’t done).

#3642 1 year ago
Quoted from twenty84:

The pro was originally planned to have standup targets while the prem/le was going to have drop targets. The post was needed on the pro because the stand ups take up less space. Later the design was changed to include drop targets on all models, but the post remained on the pro.

Nice, hadn't heard that (and good for Pro owners that they got the drops). I had read that Steve Ritchie advised against adding the post on the Premium/LE, suggesting that it's exclusion was not an error from his perspective.

#3645 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Topper shmopper whom gives a shit.

Not for me personally, but plenty of folks on this thread have expressed interested. I kind of wonder if Stern's going to bother at this point. Would have been easy money for them, and hard to believe Disney giving them this much shit about a simple plastic R2D2 with a rotating head or whatever. Maybe he's turning heel in the next movie and they don't want him on top of a Star Wars machine? All pretty bizarre.

#3651 1 year ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

The only reason I’m excited for the topper is if they have been holding onto a more significant code update pending the topper being released that further supports it.
The most recent update basically fixed one bug and called it a day.

Nah, they’re pretty much done with code I think. Bug fixes from here on out unless Dwight gets bored of his home unit. Luckily the code is already excellent!

#3661 1 year ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

$5699 typically for Pro, at least advertised. You might get a slightly better price locally or if you call places.

I think $5400 shipped was the standard "best price" people reported getting on the Pro. You should be able to get that by calling around unless Stern has hiked prices again? I doubt SW is old enough yet to be out from under Stern's "price floor" policy, which doesn't allow distributors to sell below that $5400 number.

#3681 1 year ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

So the premiums are going for roughly $2k over the pros? Is that typical? I can’t remember.. but I thought gb difference was closer to a grand?

Quoted from PtownPin:

NIB Premiums are roughly $7200 delivered ... give or take ....not sure what the pros go for?

Pro "street price" is $5400 shipped. So an $1800 spread. Maybe it was a bit closer for GB but I'd be surprised if it was only $1000 difference.

#3769 1 year ago

Also people seem to get best results from Stern going through their distributor (assuming you bought NIB).

#3840 1 year ago

Yeah, maybe little stuff like menu tweaks for how Light Sabre Duel works, but I can't imagine they'll be adding whole new modes. But if Dwight were going to do that, I'd hope he would add a unique Video Mode so you don't end up navigating the asteroid field twice per game.

#3861 1 year ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Are there any non-homemade toppers available for Star Wars? I haven’t found a single one that is currently available. I realize the Stern one should be released eventually, but it seems like a major miss by other vendors if there have been none.

The probably don’t want a C&D letter from Stern. Or Disney. Disney takes that stuff seriously.

#3910 1 year ago

I’ve got the pinballlife shaker I’m my SW and it’s great. Supposedly very similar action to Stern model, but I haven’t compared them. And save an extra 15% by buying two+ if someone in your area wants one too.

Never had a cointaker shaker but have read they’re very aggressive, some love them some don’t.

#3918 1 year ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Yeah, careful with non-Stern shakers. The non-OEM shaker fried 2 GB node boards after a few months.

I looked into this before buying. PBL design wasn’t sympatico with Spike 2 initially. Fried some boards (PBL covered replacement costs). PBL quickly fixed the design and no reported problems since. I’m sure it voids the warranty just like any other mod, but no longer any actual risk involved.

#3939 1 year ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

Is there a trigger to light the hurry up the second time or is it just elapsed time?

I believe lighting the four rebel symbols in the inlanes and outlines qualifies Hyperspace Hurryup, which you can then start again by hitting the outer orbit in either direction.

#3942 1 year ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

You need to clear these lanes 4 times for the hurry up multi-ball.

Just to clarify, you have to complete the Hyperspace Hurryup shot twice to get Hyperspace Multiball. But you're saying that you have to collect all four lane inserts four times to qualify Hyperspace Hurryup a second time, right?

#3945 1 year ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

This is correct. Start Hyper-space hurry-up, collect it, then complete the rebel lights on the in-lane/outlanes 4 times to start the hurry up again, which will be hyperspace multiball.

Yeah, I think we have the same understanding -- you have to complete the Hyperspace Hurryup shot a second time (after qualifying it by lighting lane inserts, and then starting the hurryup by shooting the outer orbit), and then Hyperspace Multiball begins, with a timed window to load more balls into the hyperloop.

Quoted from ktownhero:

Or choose the "Hyperspace Hurryup" option with characters like Luke/Han to immediately start with the hurryup, if you can complete 2 of those you get MB without ever having to do all of the other shots.

Only downside to this approach is you miss out on the opportunity to build up your multiplier and score a billion points for one-timering the Hyperspace Hurryup. Which is pretty exciting when it happens!

#3969 1 year ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

More code coming...woohoo!!

From today's "Stern of the Union Address":

Status of Code:
We are continuously working to update and improve software for our machines. There are always code updates and bug fixes in various stages of development; we will release them upon update completion. Here are some of the latest updates and the status of things in the works. As always, if you do encounter any bugs please feel free to provide information to bug.report@sternpinball.com:
Star Wars – We have yet another code update coming this month.

Accessories:

The Star Wars shooter knob and topper accessories are still not available for sale. We will make a formal announcement once they are finalized and available.

On a personal note, I'm pleased that my laziness in not updating to SW 1.0.1 code is being rewarded with the swift release of 1.0.2!

#3984 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Can you guys tell me the default outlanes ex-factory? We’re they in the middle?

My outlane posts were in the middle hole when the game shipped.

#4013 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

where did you buy these? they look great

They're not in the Stern shop online for some reason, but any Stern distributor should be able to order them for you. These guys also have them online:
https://www.orangecountypinballs.com/product-page/copy-of-star-wars-pinball-stern-accessories

#4024 1 year ago
Quoted from Brian541:

Couple questions for you guys,First what software version should my premium be running at this point?I just got my premium from colorado game exchange in the last couple weeks and kind of confused since mine shows le on my premium.Next,How in the hell do you get the hyperloop to work on this thing?It's been live in my arcade and I've put at least 20+ games on it myself and have yet to see it work.

The LE and Premium are functionally the same game, so they always use the same code (which is called "LE Code").

Current code version is 1.01.0. You might want to wait to update since they're supposed to be getting out a revision soon (they said it was coming "this month") and 1.01.0 isn't much different from 1.00.0. But it won't hurt anything to update now if you want to.

To activate Hyperspace Multiball (I assume that's what you're talking about):

• Play with Han (makes it easier)
  • Note that the inserts on the L and R outer orbits are already lit when you launch your first ball. Shoot either orbit to start Hyperspace Hurryup. You'll hear some hurryup music play and be prompted to shoot the Death Star ramp. Shoot it before the timer runs out and you'll get the Hyperspace Hurryup award and the ball will loop the Hyperloopa few times.
  • You need to complete a second Hyperspace Hurryup to start Hyperspace Multiball. Two options: Light all the in/out lane inserts four times to relight the orbit insert, then shoot the orbit to start Hyperspace Hurryup again. Or just pick "Hyperspace Hurryup" from the bonus menu before launching your second or third ball (you picked Han b/c he gets this as one of his bonus choices).
  • Hyperspace Multiball starts, shoot the ball into the Death Star to "load" it into the Hyperloop. When the timer runs out, you get a multiball with however many balls you loaded (min 2, max 6 I think).
#4026 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Did they? SOTU said in April, maybe I missed something else.

My bad, meant to write "this month", I'll edit my post.

#4087 1 year ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Please tell me where you got the LE side armor. I want them!

Here’s the part nos.:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you/page/69#post-4259734

Props to yelobird for the idea! People have had mixed results but try calling around.

#4132 1 year ago
Quoted from precisionk:

For a prospective buyer of SW, are the code updates all done or are there more planned? Code complete?

Quoted from zacaj:

Code is complete (modes, wizard mode, etc), but word is there'll be at least one more update of some kind coming

Supposed to be coming this month. But if you don’t like the code as is I wouldn’t bank on future big changes.

#4144 1 year ago

I don’t object to a single, on-topic for sale posting, but you don’t get to then bump the thread or otherwise treat it like your personal marketplace listing.

#4167 1 year ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Congrats, and welcome to a wonderful fast experience.

The game is a wonderful fast experience - reading 84 pages of this thread, maybe not so much. But welcome aboard, SW is a blast to play!

1 week later
#4211 1 year ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Just heard about this-
http://www.betson.com/marketing/Stern-ShakerMotorAdvisory.pdf?mc_cid=94c058ebfe&mc_eid=7a43814633
An advisory from Stern about shaker motors and slam tilt issues. I have a Pinball Life Spike 2 shaker motor and have no issues.

So only the genuine, authorized shaker causes a slam tilt malfunction and requires a physical mod to the game? Hard to feel bad about using the aftermarket PBL shaker under those circumstances!

#4225 1 year ago
Quoted from genex:

I've been beta testing and there's some squirrely bugs that Stern is working to stomp out. So far the next rev is looking good and I like the things that are being tweaked/fixed... not sure on timing but it's more important that things get completed than sent out just to beat a deadline IMHO FWIW

Excellent news. I'm all for one solid update in a few weeks rather than a borked one today and then another patch later on. Thank you for your service!

#4312 1 year ago
Quoted from flashburn:

From the April State of the Union:
"Star Wars – We have yet another code update coming this month."
http://www.sternpinball.com/community/stern-of-the-union-address-april-2018

And here’s the May update:

Star Wars – We are in the final phase of testing the latest code and while we weren’t able to release it by end of last month as we hoped, we aim to release it very soon.”

#4317 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They usually aren't that great of modes...usually loud and obnoxious which is fine, but I didn't need to hear "Hordor" 1000 times on GOT
Incest mode would be good. Hitting switches moves them further away from kissing. Don't get enough, lips lock, failed mission

And then after they make out, Leia says “somehow I always knew ...” and Luke’s like “And yet you kissed me on the Tarzan swing? WTF?”

I’m onboard.

#4354 1 year ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Ok, i tried it with each character and no matter who I am I get this mystery award.

Are you in some kind of tournament mode (where mystery would be preset for fairness)?

#4368 1 year ago
Quoted from francky93:

Oh yeah ! I’ve got a Premium

Nice one! It's possibly already May the 5th where you're at, but I hope you play the hell out of it this weekend regardless. See how many games you can rack up before you have to go to work on Monday!

#4401 1 year ago

Check out this lovely 3d printed part off ebay in combination with a 6cm fan I had this designed together with the seller especially for this mod. A much cleaner solution to my opinion. He will ship globally.
ebay.com link

Nice! Do you have a link to the fan you used as well?

#4407 1 year ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

What are these fans needed for? (Sorry I'm a noobster when it comes to SW)

To be clear you don’t need to add the fan to protect the power supply - it’s just a nice upgrade if you don’t like the sound of the loud fan cycling.

#4409 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

It doesn’t bother me... the original fan. But, options are always good...thus pinsiders helping eachother. Add the additional fan if the noise bothers you. As with all mods, it’s your game.

Options are great, I'm thinking of adding one myself! I just wanted to be clear for the new guy that it's not like there's an overheating flaw with the SW game, this is purely an aesthetic (if auditory aesthetics are a thing) mod.

#4424 1 year ago

Has anyone ever made a third party topper tied into the interactive light output on one of the newer Sterns? Would be interesting to know if that’s possible, or if it’s feeding info that’s not readily usable (as oppposed to simple power on/power off instructions).

3 weeks later
#4780 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Decided to order a SW PRO today. Any interesting, fun, or must have mods? I’m not much of a modder but open to suggestions.

The LE side-armor is pretty cool if you can score a set:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you/page/69#post-4259734

I've been very happy with the PBL shaker. I don't have other new Sterns so maybe it's better used elsewhere, but it still works well in SW. Plus if you can get even one local pinhead in on a group buy, you'll both save 15%.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3710

I like the mini-LED bezel as well, there are a couple of versions out there, I think the one PBL is carrying looks best:
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4691

Quoted from TheLaw:

Haven't tried my invisiglass sheet on this but it the game does seem to suffer from more reflections at the top middle, or maybe it's just more a focal point to the player.

I just put a sheet of Invisiglass in my SW last week. Definitely makes a difference when you're playing (if you're one of the people that sees a difference with Invisiglass).

#4891 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

There's these ice blue arrows that pop up all the time, and while I don't know wtf they do, when I started ignoring them I started progressing better through the game.

Good call, those ice blue insert lights are combo indicators which only really matter if you're trying to get Escape from Boba Fett mode going. I get the concept (and appreciate that they changed the color in a code update, they used to be "light purple" and easily confused with Death Star mode shots) but they're still more likely to cause confusion for inexperienced players than anything else.

#4897 1 year ago
Quoted from japespin:

Which shaker did you end up going with, if you don't mind me asking? I need to order mine still.

PBL's own Spike 2 shaker has worked perfectly for me and you cannot beat the price:
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3710

1 week later
#5017 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

But R2's seems to be best with longer multiplier timer.

I don't think R2's multiplier timer is longer (i.e. it times out and drops back to 2x at the same rate as the other characters). It's that his multiplier stays "wider" at higher multiplier levels than the others. I don't know the real numbers but for example if the others drop from 3 to 2 lit multiplier inserts at 7x and to one lit multiplier insert at 12x, R2 might keep 3 lit inserts until 9x and 2 until 14x. At least that was the deal with earlier code revisions and I think that's still right.

#5063 1 year ago
Quoted from the_one:

Got the custom made Instruction Card yesterday. Matching perfect.

Are the two aluminum cards a different "shade" or is that just the lighting?

#5069 1 year ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Joe's set is white when off, not pink at all. Here is a pic with them off.

Sounds like they're finally back in stock, looking forward to getting my set installed finally! Worth the wait for the non-pink stuff, for sure.

#5076 1 year ago

Sounds really interesting - do you have a link for the article? ON the website I can only find the art blades for INSIDE the cabinet...

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/stern-star-wars-le-pinball-armor-illumination-kit

Note that the LE side armor is not included - this is just the light panels that install behind the side armor. So it only works if you have an LE, or are able to get a set of LE side armor somewhere else.

1 week later
#5140 1 year ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

I'd send a pic to Stern, maybe given the circumstances and evidence they may reissue one....

This, I bet they’ll get you a replacement no problem. Not like they have to get Hulk Hogan to sign it or something.

#5181 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Thought about that. Small distributor, but great guy. I’ve been talking to terry at pinballLife. I thought the bigger distors might have it in stock, but they don’t. Terry said he will know price mid next week. I really was hoping to just get it direct from Stern, but no luck. Hopefully this small array of leds isn’t $200.

Contact your distributor, see if they can get you warranty coverage before you open your wallet.

#5190 1 year ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

According to the book, this wouldn't be covered. The warranty is two months on circuit boards and six months on dmds.

Quoted from pintechev:

I have gotten parts well after warranty. I called and was polite and respectful to Chaz and he helped me out numerous times. Stern, in general, has exceptional support.

I still haven’t seen an account of someone with a failed node board being denied warranty service if they go through their distributor. It’s an oddity, but Stern really does seem to go way beyond their (meager) written warranty. And it may be that they’re especially attuned to node board issues as a number of hobbyists remain suspicious of the Spike system.

#5194 1 year ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I have heard repeatedly that Stern is good with coverage after the warranty. I have no doubt about it. I think that it's worth noting how short and unusable the actual written warranty is.

Note away. Just don’t imply that people shouldn't bother seeking service outside the written warranty period, since Stern has a clearly established practice of providing it.

#5207 1 year ago
Quoted from PBMAN:

I'm sure its been posted before. I just got a NIB. Death Star wont close al the way. Probably misaligned. Messed with it but cant see to fix it. Anyone have same issue as got it resolved. Thanks.

There are thumb screws to adjust the closure point of the DS (at least I think there are two, maybe just one, been a while since I messed with it) that should help you out with that. Check the manual for location, thumb screw(s) won’t leap out at you when viewed from above.

#5209 1 year ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

The thumb screws are under the playfield?

Nope, above the playfield but just under the DS itself, so not easily visible from above. Should be pictured in the manual.

#5224 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Has anyone found a source for replacement apron decals that don't have the epilepsy warning?

Sounds like you've got a nefarious scheme in the works here

#5230 1 year ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Yeah, for real... I've seen bags of oranges with Star Wars licensing before, they don't give a shit lol.

A tasty, aromatic topper at an affordable price.

orange you glad

Though it seems to have caused a bit of an internet uproar, so maybe Disney is compensating by refusing to approve pinball accoutrement.

1 week later
#5349 1 year ago

Yeah, I’m not a fan of the strobe a-go-go modes in GOT. No need to add that sort of thing into SW, which has an excellent light show as-is, thank you very much!

1 week later
#5439 1 year ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

It's a secret code that turns your game into WrestleMania

I can see why they’d keep it secret.

1 week later
#5547 1 year ago
Quoted from Behnendl:

When I hit the hyper loop the ball is barely going around once. This is a new bug for me and wasn’t sure if anyone else had the same issue.

What version of software?

#5570 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Does anyone know if shaker motor strength can be adjusted in menus? My shaker is just a bad too much, I would like to tone it down a bit
Thanks

Yes it can. I'm not at my machine now but it's definitely in the menu somewhere, and does make a difference. I've got mine set at one below factory default and am happy with it.

#5579 1 year ago

Noper.

2 weeks later
#5670 1 year ago

Or Jabba's belly / George Lucas' goiter. So many missed opportunities for fan service on this one!

1 week later
#5779 1 year ago
Quoted from airplanequartet:

portland.craigslist.org link
Here we go...

Isn't $7200 the "street price" for a NIB shipped from Stern? No offense intended if this is your pin for sale, but that seems ambitious.

#5781 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I thought shipped is closer to $7500-$7700 for a NIB Stern premium LCD game? Not 100% sure as can't keep track of recent prices.

I thought street price was $5400 Pro / $7200 Premium fourteen months ago when SW dropped. But maybe I'm off on those. Or do price increases apply to older titles too?

#5796 1 year ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

It’s hard for me to spend that kind of money on a topper. The only aftermarket topper I have is on TWD, and that was on the game when I bought it.

The most I've spent on a topper is $40 (Rocky & Bullwinkle). If they're asking more than that, I'm out.

#5821 1 year ago
Quoted from spidey:

My view is for $50 I have a great sound system. Kicker 4" for back box ($35) and Pyle 8" sub ($15). PPro and FF are great for the older systems that need adapters, crossovers and an L -pad. But with Spike 2, they have a built in electronic crossover for the sub, and separate bass/treble gain controls for the head speakers and cab speaker. All you need is the speakers and then fine tune the audio in the service menu. I picked Kicker because they are flush mount, as the speaker has to sit flush against the grille.

So you used these?:
Kicker 41DSC44: amazon.com link »
And then Pyle PLPW8D: amazon.com link »

If not a pain, would you be willing to share your service menu settings? I'm definitely tempted to give this a go, I like the current sounds but this seems like an affordable upgrade so why not.

1 month later
#6018 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

Year#2- Every Yoda that comes to the door gets hard candy

Someone gave my kids ketchup packets this evening. Something to consider for next year ...

3 weeks later
#6061 1 year ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

I prefer NO CARPET please... thank you.

Don't your toes get cold?

#6088 1 year ago
Quoted from T-800:

I never really understood comments like this - people have complained about this for years on all sorts of games (like GOT). Just because there are layers of strategy and extra understanding doesn't mean you have to nerd out about it to enjoy it. it's still pinball. push the start button and go. have fun and just play. You might find if you own the game that a few years down the road you'll appreciate the extra depth. Knowledge of stacking and bringing certain things in at the same time is always helpful, but it's not the be-all and end-all for getting a good score - - playing well and not draining is the key to that and that just takes skill.

Yep. The depth of the code also hasn't stopped SW from being the most popular game when we have non-pinball people over the play (and likewise with our kids and their friends). The theme's an obvious draw, but the speed, callouts and light show are all great for people with zero clue about the rules.

#6125 1 year ago

Still loving my SW Premium after 1+ year in house. Physically it's holding up great, and there's plenty to do code-wise. People have requested a super-duper wizard mode after you beat all four characters. I think people that can do that are quite rare so it's unlikely to be something you'll notice unless you're a phenomenal player.

I can't compare to JJP POTC as I've only put a few games on that and only on the prototype. I assume you'd save $2.5k or so going with a HUO SW Premium over a NIB JJP at this point, if that makes a difference.

#6129 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Does make a difference in my decision. I think jjp games are worth more, but I'm not rich, so I need to get a good long term game. I have enjoyed SW when I've played it though.

I wonder if you'd do best to pick up a SW Premium HUO now (haven't followed pricing but HUO is generally 15-20% off NIB), then swap it out for a POTC next year when those will probably be a bit cheaper. Plus, one of these games seems to match your decor a bit better

1 month later
#6405 1 year ago

Have you already adjusted the setttings and set the shaker to low?

2 weeks later
#6531 1 year ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I am hoping Steve Ritchie will be Pintastic New England. Maybe ask him if it was an oversight and would they be willing to remove it. Normally the guys from Stern are pretty friendly. I think they like to hear feedback about their babies. I love my pro model and I always loved ST Pro as well. Steve should be proud!

If you’re asking for code changes, Dwight’s your man.

2 weeks later
#6677 11 months ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

There's your in incentive to play better. If you don't hit asteroids, it doesnt shake at all

I’m with this guy, how many asteroids are you hitting per run? If it’s more than 1or 2, probably a sign you’re too drunk to be playing anyhow.

4 weeks later
#6850 10 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

if the SW topper finally comes out this month...

Good one!

1 month later
#7165 9 months ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I love how you refer to yourself in the 3rd person. . There are a few guys in this hobby that help each other out in this regard for the love of the hobby rather than to make a buck. Just sayin'.

If he’s making custom mixes for people at their request, I don’t have a problem with him charging for them. The people that share are generally sharing something they were already making for themselves. Which is indeed part of what makes this a great hobby, but not quite the same thing.

2 weeks later
#7274 8 months ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Sorry to ask, maybe mentioned before, but is there an award for beating all four characters?

Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Nothing special for finishing all 4 characters. It simply lets you pick a new hero again.

It's like a pie eating contest, where the prize is more pie.

1 week later
#7325 8 months ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I always by the PBL shakers as they are the cheapest and give just the right amount of shake. If you buy multiples, Terry gives you a bulk discount at 3 I believe.

I have the PBL as well and it’s great. It’s now $80 vs $100 for the Stern branded shaker.

2 weeks later
#7372 7 months ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I’m okay with the button where it’s at, but figured the game could be improved. If Steve put it there for risk vs reward I could kind of see that, but it seems like the same deal with BK3000. I don’t think they intended Magnasave to be on the LD just to make it a R vs R situation.
Anyway for now I’ll reconsider and hold off. I’m obviously in the minority here.[quoted image]

I’m pro-mod on BK3K because of the placement on the original, and the fact that it’s super-hard to ever save the ball with the center button. With the TIE Fighter mode you can regularly trap up and shoot a bunch, and otherwise you have to decide when to chance taking your hands off the flippers, but you can almost always shoot at least s few without draining. Feels much more intentional (and fun) to me than the BK3K center button design.

3 months later
#7627 4 months ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I’m here for the $3500 second hand pro machine now that this new art package and saturated market drive the prices down

You can put it right next to your $11k Lebowski.

1 week later
#7699 4 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Me too. I never got the hate for the original art. Although maybe one done in the style of the original posters would have been cool....[quoted image]

I have the OG art and prefer it to the new stuff, but I also think the new version is cool and am fine if some people like it better. I definitely would have been down for an original poster art version though. I'm hoping next up will be the Mad Magazine rendition, with playable characters Lube Skystalker, Ham Yoyo, Princess Laidup and Bar-Stool.
Mad Jedi.jpg

2 weeks later
#7873 3 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Stern has sold translites in the past...

Premium or just Pro?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside