20230222_084653 (resized).jpg
20230222_084538 (resized).jpg
20230222_084535 (resized).jpg
20230222_084134 (resized).jpg
20230222_084126 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #902 New LE/Premium Code readme - v0.89 Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #903 New Pro Code V0.89 ready Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #3340 How to adjust the ball guide to mitigate drains. Posted by Schwaggs (6 years ago)

Post #4911 Summary of shots needed for modes. Posted by Hoochoo (5 years ago)

Post #12080 Upgraded coil stops Posted by Crispy77 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deaconblooze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1015 6 years ago

I joined the club Friday night! I've put about 80 plays on it since then. I'm having a lot of fun with this game! To give some perspective, I own IMVE, Avatar, and BSD - some of the best "one more game" games ever - and SW has me stabbing at the start button more than any of those others ever have.

I was genuinely worried when reviews started to pour in. I wasn't a big fan of GOT (though I didn't get a ton of time on it), and hearing that the rules were similar made me think I made a mistake in ordering. It's rare I ever have those types of doubts lifted so quickly. After a few games I realized that this was going to be a brutal game with a lot of strategy. The allure of lining up a huge bonus multiplier to a specific shot is stressful in a good way - it reminds me very much of Song Jackpot/Song Bonus in ACDC.

This is my first time buying a game NIB this early in development. So far it's been a positive experience. I like the clips, but I think they could be polished.. what I see often is a clip that plays, and then cuts in an awkward way. It will hang on to the last image for a few extra beats. I'm no director, but some sort of different fade or cut would probably look better, and a smoother sound transition would help to clean things up.

I'm having too much fun with the gameplay to really pick apart anything else. I think the modes will become more clear once code gets refined.

sw1 (resized).jpgsw1 (resized).jpg

sw2 (resized).jpgsw2 (resized).jpg

#1018 6 years ago

I'm embarrassed I have to ask this.. but is there a hyperspace multiball on the pro? I'm horrible at hitting the death star, especially under pressure. I have gotten it, but I don't think more than once in a game. I thought the ball was supposed to lock like in Avatar? Does that happen after a certain number of hurryups or a different event?

#1029 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Yep. If you like GOT rules and strategy you're going to love Star Wars. I think people will start changing their tune on this game once they get a good chance to play it and the code becomes more complete.

Do you still have a desire to play since crushing it?

1 week later
#1112 6 years ago

My daughter loves the game, but she's only 3, so it's hard for her to do much more than just flip and hope. She's really sharp, so I explained the rules to her a little bit. She gets the very general idea of it.. now she stands on a chair in front of me when I play. She's in charge of the 3rd button - I tell her to turn it off so I can move it, and when to turn it back on. It's fun, and she likes helping and watching the animations.

It works really well to give kids something to do while they watched... probably more so than any other game I can think of. I recommend trying that for anyone with young kids too young to play effectively by themselves.

3 weeks later
#1381 6 years ago

The mystery animation wears on me. I'd like to be able to cancel that.

#1400 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I use that time to make sure my shot multiplier is where I want it. Don't even notice how long the animation takes now.

Good idea, thanks!

Quoted from TheLaw:

He said he'd like to skip it.

And thanks, mom!

1 year later
#6010 5 years ago

I bought this game not long before a move. It's setup at my new place, but there's so much other stuff to do that I rarely get an opportunity to do more than play a tired, half-hearted game.

The other night I finally got a chance to play a good solid couple hours of pinball. TNA and SW dominated that session. They're great compliments to eachother. I gave the multipliers on SW a break for once, and just set it and forget it for most of my games, at least until it was crazy high with an important shot to be made. That worked out as a great strategy for me, and I had a ton of fun trying to play through modes.

I found I don't really care for stacking modes. This game can be pretty immersive, and bouncing between two modes really takes away from that for me. The worst part about that is I'll obviously have a very difficult time progressing to the final stages..

1 month later
#6193 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Lyman seems to have a habit of working on his games in his own spare time to finish them off.

That's the thing. Lyman gets a lot of love on this forum, but I still think he's underappreciated. As far as I know, he takes the game home and polishes it until he (as the great player he is) feels that it's finished. That takes an incredible amount of time and care. Perhaps he is compensated for his efforts, but that's not the impression I get.

One could make the case that we're jaded as consumers because of this. I tend to feel that a company that is putting out a product that people are purchasing for 2 reasons (either as an investment to make money on route, or as a ridiculous luxury home entertainment piece), they owe it to their consumers to provide a complete game.

#6225 5 years ago

I have a really hard time hitting the Death Star shot on my Pro. I finally pulled the glass to see if I could make some adjustments. I did the following..

- Pushed the standup to the right of the shot closer to the ramp
- Made a slight tweak to the angle of the gate
- Oiled conservatively with zoom spout (suggested by Vid in other threads for spinners)

My aim just completely sucks at that shot, it's just at a weird angle I've never gotten used to. But, I can say that in the shots I did make, there were fewer of the rattle rejects that I received before. I think the gate was just a little off and hanging up enough that it would reject even a decent shot. Just something to think about or try. This was all in limited testing.

I also made a slight tweak to my spinner, it seemed like the balls were getting hung up there more than they should. I adjusted the angle and also gave that a little lube.

3 weeks later
#6301 5 years ago

What's the feeling about the topper? I haven't been impressed with a Stern topper yet.

Alternative and fun option - there are some Star War Lego Collector sets that would be pretty cool if you have the headroom. I'm building Slave 1 with my daughter right now. It's not going on top, but it will go near it. It's a really cool set, and has been really fun to build. Price is 200.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Slave-I-75060?CMP=KAC-SAHCSEU8&HQS=75060&ef_id=Cj0KCQiAmuHhBRD0ARIsAFWyPwiXsy9Z-mfWLYgtJcjY6FNEVAj0HxtsUwI1pesGglTKQjspkHPrP5IaAjBmEALw_wcB%3AG%3As&s_kwcid=AL%21790%213%21284196092125%21%21%21g%21304920915248%21&cmp=KAC-INI-GOOGUS-GO-US-EN-SP-BUY-SHOP-LEGO_General-BP-SP-RN-Catch_All_Brand

Just a thought.

1 week later
#6324 5 years ago

So, new code?

Screenshot_20190121-005611_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190121-005611_Chrome (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#6558 5 years ago

I thought there was a setting to turn off the video mode in the menus. I swear I saw it, but last night I checked and it wasn't there. Was it removed in one of the more recent updates?

3 weeks later
#6713 5 years ago
Quoted from stenbough:

I got both the pro and premium translite with the purchase. I personally think the pro looks better. The original owner even had the pro translite signed by Steve Richie.

Any interest in selling the premium trans? If so, shoot me a pm.

1 month later
#6981 4 years ago

Blowing up the Death Star... are you all referring to the Endor multiball? Or the Death Star multiball.... or both? Or something else entirely?

#6984 4 years ago

I thought I was missing a mini-wizard mode or something. I've done both on the Pro. It's pretty neat, but I'm sure it's much more of a spectacle on the Premium/LE.

1 week later
#7030 4 years ago

To me if there's any question, opt for the pro and pocket the extra 2k.

There are very few cases to me where the premium is worth the extra money. The loop is cool, but not 2k cool.

#7034 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Sorry but the loop is at least 2k cool-save up cheap ass!

Ha! I bought in on an ACDC premium years ago. It was cool, but today I like the pro of that game better, too. The toys on premiums a lot of time just aren't fun, or at least slow the game down. This one is better than most, but its gotta be something pretty big to make me want to spend a sys11 worth of money on it.

Do you really think there's more ROI on the premium? I guess it's hard to say until they're no longer in production.

1 week later
#7137 4 years ago

Do people really actually like this game now? When I first played it I couldn't drain the ball fast enough. I saw it was getting a lot of love, I played it again recently, and had the same exact feeling - I just want it to be over. Maybe I'm missing something, but what's improved so much?

I digress. I don't think the rules of SW are all that complicated, but I do think people sort of struggle over how the multiplier works. I tend to overemphasize the multiplier and end of screwing myself because of it. It's a really cool risk/reward mechanic. The game reminds a bit of ACDC in that way. That game was very good at making you hold out to cash in on an even bigger jackpot. SW does a similar thing, but much more often - now you have to choose whether to just try to keep the ball alive without maximizing points, move the multiplier to get more out of a shot, or focus on increasing the multiplier and moving it as needed to really get all you can out of a shot.

I watched plenty of people's eyes gloss over when I started to get into ACDC's Song Jackpots, or even more so when you explained that there was also a Song Bonus. It made perfect sense to me, but most people will never know the strategy that lies in that game.

#7141 4 years ago

My only fear is the looks I'll get when people blow out all of my scores when they choose stacked missions and I never do.

One of my cousins kept taking the extra ball on my WCS and then ridiculed me for her score. I let her have her fun, but boy she was a dick about it.

1 month later
#7341 4 years ago

I got one of the Asteroids 1ups on sale. They were down to $75. Pretty awesome deal, but I don't much interest in paying much more than that. It's neat, but the buttons feel very cheap. Don't be surprised if that yoke is disappointing.

8 months later
#8481 4 years ago

I'm not at all interested in the topper.... but I might feign interest to my wife, and then go out and buy a new Lego UCS to put on top as a nice compromise.

Shes actually bought me a couple and I've put them together with my daughter. That's been really fun. My problem is the tie fighter and slave 1 are both too tall to be used as a topper. If I could be confident in securing it, a y-wing would be pretty perfect. Maybe I could even suspend it above the game with some fish line.

5 months later
#9151 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Many prem/LE owners will balk at this, but the pro really is a good option. I've played multiple prem/LEs and the hyperloop is a decent gimmick, but to me it doesn't outweigh the issues it causes. The Death Star shot is hard enough without adding a 50% reject rate into the mix, plus the forks kill the flow of the Hoth shot since they can't drop out of the way fast enough. On the pro, both shots are always smooth as butter, 100% of the time. I personally wouldn't trade that for the ability to watch a ball zoom around a racetrack a few times. I also love how the pro handles Hyperspace multiball, with needing to smack the captured ball out of the horseshoe and then lock another one in there. It's a great feeling shot, and still feels special and different than other multiballs. Opinions definitely vary on that, but I would urge you not to overlook the pro. It's an awesome, vastly underrated game either way.

I've had premiums and pros. For me it's just really hard to justify the extra 2k for a game unless it's really worth it. The one game I bought in on the Premium was ACDC. Know what? If I were going to buy another ACDC (I might, that game was great), I'd probably get a pro. I started to avoid the modes that brought you into the lower PF.

I own a SW pro, I've never really felt like I was missing out on something on this particular title.

2 weeks later
#9216 3 years ago

Is there already a post that contains all of the recommended game adjustments? Making that a key post would be really helpful.

1 week later
#9296 3 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Oh in regards to my bellyaching about the death star loop, I printed a 1/8" spacer to go under the gate mounting face to raised it up a bit. Seems that the issue is now almost non existent after putting about 15 games on it last night.

Do you have the file link?

#9318 3 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Here is the link for the gate spacer.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4595256
This part will also be tossed into the light baffle kit.

I did a lot of tinkering with that gate, and I still feel like I was getting some unfair rejects from good shots. I've only tested your spacer a few times, but it seems like it's done the trick! Thanks for posting the file!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Shore, NY
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Ashburn, VA
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deaconblooze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you?tu=deaconblooze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.