IMG_3171 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4042 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240411-000808 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #902 New LE/Premium Code readme - v0.89 Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #903 New Pro Code V0.89 ready Posted by NeilMcRae (6 years ago)

Post #3340 How to adjust the ball guide to mitigate drains. Posted by Schwaggs (6 years ago)

Post #4911 Summary of shots needed for modes. Posted by Hoochoo (5 years ago)

Post #12080 Upgraded coil stops Posted by Crispy77 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PlayPin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2548 6 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I'm not usually doing a bunch of added modifications, but I found some earlier threads really helpful and worked off of that.
For those interested, I used two kinds of wires to that I picked up at Hobby Lobby and bent them into appropriate shapes as below and fastened them to the starships using screws that were #8 32 x 8/32", which I had to cut down myself using a tool from 32 x 3/8" (pic below).
I thought that the aluminum wire i used for the star destroyer was going to be too soft at first, but the post is so short, it's actually very stable...the music wire worked well for the tie fighter was way too wiggly on the pf for the destroyer.
I removed the nuts off the pf where I was interested in placing these wires, did not have to remove any ramps or other pf parts to accomplish this, then secured the nuts back to their appropriate places. The Star Destroyer was purchased on Amazon Prime, and yes that's a picture of the destroyed box next to my space shoes, I'm all in! Hahaha

I think that is the best looking set of upgrade ships I have seen so far, nice work! I really like how you mounted the star destroyer. Do you know how long the aluminum mount turned out to be for that? There must not be too much wiggle room or the ship would stick up and be in the way of the glass.

#2552 6 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Thanks!! I was actually in Corvallis a few months ago...beautiful country up there.
The rod I used for the Star Destroyer was short, about 1-1.25". Because the aluminum rod was so easy to bend, I was able to bring it to the pf already screwed into the base of the Destroyer, bend the rod rather dramatically to allow access to screw it to a bolt on the upper portion of the right ramp, and then bend the rod back into final position. I'm actually amazed at just how sturdy it is. No wiggling at all during gameplay and it hasn't budged an inch since I placed it. I was rather surprised at the amount of space that was available between the ramp and the glass.

I want to thank you for your posts here. I had just ordered a lighted Star Destroyer yesterday on Ebay. Minutes later saw your post and thought it looked a lot nicer. Much more detail in your version. I also think the way you mounted it on the premium is perfect. I was able to cancel the order for the S.D. on Ebay and I ordered the same one you have. I can't see finding a nicer one and the size seems perfect. I think some of this kind of detail is just what this game is begging for. Can I ask you where you found your other ships?

#2565 6 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I agree, the detail in these starship figurines can be really amazing, and really helped enhance an already a very cool game. I got everything off of Amazon. The Collection that these Starship figures come from is called Star Wars X-Wing miniatures game expansion pack, which includes multiple different ships including the ones that I used. Shipped in like 2 to 3 days.

Thanks again! I hope you don't mind me copying your ideas on the ships. Now I just need to figure out what color to powder coat the legs & armor on my premium. I don't care for the black wrinkle finish. The shiny black on the LE is better. I was wondering what blue would look like. I think the premium is a bit harder(to pick armor color) than the other versions since it is very light on the left side and black on the right. It may end up looking good on one side and weird on the other? Does anyone know if the deluxe (top)armor on the LE is being reproduced or is available?

#2567 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

One I am doing .

I like the top armor. The white really stands out too. Thanks for posting.

#2582 6 years ago
Quoted from MattS:

hooked
Lit LE side armor later today!
Thanks Robert!

That LE side armor lighted rocks! Hope you post some pics when installed. Can I ask what that kit costs? Thanks

#2583 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Got flame red powdercoat for my pro. Turned out quite nice.

That red armor does look great on the Pro! I saw another poster in this thread who had mystic purple on a pro and I thought that looked great too. The mostly black art on the pro seems to work with about any color. The premium is very light on the left and black on the right. I am wondering if any powder coating will look good on the premium besides black or white?

1 month later
#2977 6 years ago

Does anyone have an under cabinet LED/flasher kit for Star Wars premium? I contacted the guy who made those for my other games([email protected]) which were awesome. He said he does make a kit for Star Wars but only for the pro. He said the version for the premium & LE did not work out for some reason. Once you put one of these kits in one of your games it has to be in all of them.

#2985 6 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Does anyone have an under cabinet LED/flasher kit for Star Wars premium? I contacted the guy who made those for my other games([email protected]) which were awesome. He said he does make a kit for Star Wars but only for the pro. He said the version for the premium & LE did not work out for some reason. Once you put one of these kits in one of your games it has to be in all of them.

No responses so far so I guess that's a no for under cabinet LED/flasher kit for S.W. premium....bummer! Those kits are so cool. How about this... Anyone have a back box flasher kit for Star Wars? If so what do you think of it and where did you find it? Appreciate any help on this!

#2994 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Surprised rock can’t do sw prem, not sure what the issue is, similar set up as pro.
On backbox, Since you asked: https://lermods.com/products/ghostbusters-pinball-led-strip-backbox-light-kit-25176375-ad8b-4717-88fc-b99abdaff45f
We can add flasher integration if you want it. Pm me for more info if interested..

Yes I wondered the same thing. He said he has one for the Pro that works good but had issues with the premium/LE. Did not elaborate on why he could not make one but it did sound as if he had given up on the idea?
That back glass looks very nice. Do you turn off the factory LED's on the Stern board some how for this? I'm curious how you would add flashers to the premium back glass and tie them into play?

Quoted from orb:

i have been moving slow on the project. but i have an LE. been wanting to hook up strobe light to GI to go off when hit hyperloop in backbox.
give that hyperspace feel. will post when its done in SW mod thread if your interested.

That sounds like an awesome idea for the LE back glass! I have the premium or I would be interested for sure. With this game people making back glass mod's are going to have to tailor kits for each version.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

So now that it’s known that the hyperloop shot/wireform can be adjusted. How have prem/LE owners been doing making that shot and it taking? Do you still get rejects or is it easier/more successful shot when it counts the most?

I agree with the others who have replied on this. No problems making the shot and no drains when it fails to make it all the way up the ramp. However: "Only a precise shot will set off a chain reaction and destroy the battle station". Personally that shot is one of the things I totally dig about this game...its difficulty! It makes it so satisfying when you make it. I dig the way the game can hold a ball in 4 different places to start modes and release them(death star, Hoth-inner loop, Endor - left ramp, and Tatooine - right Mystery scoop). The fork ramp being in the way(when up) when shot from the right side of inner loop....is annoying. I swear I read that mechanical issues were resolved in the 1.0 release notes. I guess it was talking about other issues. Then again it stated the delay between hitting the button to destroy Tie fighters and the annimation was fixed. I still see a delay in that but maybe its improved? Hard for me to say since I only played a few games on the earlier f/w version. While I am ranting anyone else get tired of being lectured by Yoda at the end of every single ball? How I wish they had just used random drain quotes and animations from the various movies for this! There are so many great quotes or even sound effects they could use for ball drains! Oh well...all this aside I want to make it clear. THIS GAME IS AWESOME! No regrets about getting the premium what so ever for me.
I would be amazed if they fix the fork ramp speed issue. I guess one way I am trying to look at this is if the ramp is up you should be shooting the death star instead of the right side of the loop. Of course that's the real trick isn't it...and its going to cost you something extra.

#2996 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The factory leds in the backbox are controlled via the menu system. You can choose zero to turn it off. The flashers for the backbox would connect directly to the flashers under the playfield. You can choose which flasher to hook to.
You have to be careful about hooking lights up to spike, I think it's a less robust system for add ons. Our backbox runs off the 12v connection on the power supply board or we can supply an external 12v supply for no additional charge, but you need to plug it in when you turn the game on. They are nice, and take several hours to put together.

So I would turn off the flashers in the menu but the new ones from your kit would be on when ever the game is on? For the flashers you attach strips of LED's in certain places behind the B.G. on the new panel right? Are you saying I would choose these locations for the flashers and which flashers under the playfield they hook to? In other words can I choose what areas of the B.G. I want the flashers to (specifically) light up and which flasher circuit would activate each one? Then you would add them to the panel shown at your link and pre-wire it for me according to the layout I choose?

#2997 6 years ago

Noticed PinGraffix just released power blades for Star Wars. Pretty cool, animated side art(pin blades). Kind of thinking about getting them...but I can't really figure out the idea behind the art. Asteroids all lighting together and then going off, then streams of dashes going by, then partial planets light up then go off...then repeat. I don't know what to make of it? Curious what other's think of these here. I was hoping they would do power blades for Star Wars and make some sort of big space battle with ships all over. I think it would make more sense if the lighted parts were shots randomly firing from various ships. Maybe have some planets in the back ground that always remain lit. Heck even better....have random ships light up, fire at another, and that one explodes & disappears. The more random the better so that pattern does not grow old. Maybe I am over thinking all this. Here's a link for anyone interested:

https://www.pingraffix.com/so/3M4l5H5h?cid=aa4df3b7-2a25-44f6-ad15-e6e4c3b35457&region=6b8616f9-a670-48f0-df12-2272cdd93079#/main

#3002 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

The hurdle that PinGraffix faced is LLL: Licensing, Litigation, & Lawyers
They had to make a product that is generic enough to stop the Lawyers from LucasFilms, Disney, and Stern from coming after them, pure and simple.
For what PinGraffix did I applaud their efforts, however as a owner......well, it misses the mark with me.

Never even thought of that, now it makes more sense why they went so generic.

Quoted from tbanthony:

It is a space battle. Shots being fired and explosions.

I thought the explosions were asteroids. You know if all the explosions didn't light up at the exact same time then go out all at once it would look much better. Same for the shots being fired. If they just reprogrammed it to have random shots and random explosions I think it would be much cooler. I would just leave the partial planets lit at all times.

Quoted from kermit24:

I think mirrors are probably the way to go with Star Wars.

I think the next best thing is some custom mirrors with specific art work. PinGraffics calls them blade skins. Tilt Graphics calls theirs game blades. Some of those are very nice looking.

#3033 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'm really starting to hate Lightsaber Duel.... It's fun to play, but when you beat it on your first try and then get continually locked into it over and over for the rest of your game, it can be just horrible. I was having a great game, every objective except tattooine complete, on ball 2 with three extra balls ready. Had Tattooine II, so only III before the MB ready, but coming out of II Lightsaber Duel was lit. Tried to time it out, but the timer stops, so I had to at least try to play it. Lost one ball doing that before finally running out of time, and thought, finally, I can play my mode! I might even get to Jedi for the first time! Missed my shot to the scoop, hit a drop target, which completed the bank, lighting Duel again! Missed my first shot, drained, drained of the plunge on my EB, drained again off the next EB, managed to make one shot in the duel on ball 3, and then drained again. So frustrating! Wish it at least wouldn't lock you into only being able to shoot the ramp to start Duel once you've already completed it or something. Even just letting the timer run out would be enough

Well put! This sudden interruption only needs to happen once. Heck even that sucks sometimes depending on what modes you are working on. The duel is really starting to annoy me because it interrupts my progress on the modes. I really hope they offer a way to opt. out on this or at least put it off. Especially if its already been done. It would be sweet if at the start of duel it gave you the choice to: left flipper - start duel, right flipper - opt. out. Then next time you get to mission select the duel becomes one of your choices.

Quoted from AUKraut:

Even if you make it past Emperor you will restart your character selection and start a new journey, with new modes and objectives for the different character.

Really, new modes as in different modes than the choices available first time through? Has anyone confirmed this? That would be out standing!

#3035 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Well, each character has a different mode choice, so I think he was referring to that.

That seems much more likely unfortunately.

While on the subject of improvements to rules. I vote for Destroy the Death Star(final mode) to be a single ball mode instead of 2 ball. I have lost track of how many times I have started this only to watch it instantly end the second one of the balls drain. It does have a short ball saver but the 2nd ball does nothing but block your shots needed to qualify the death star shot(which is difficult, especially on premium/LE). It seems nearly impossible to keep two balls in play for any length of time on this game with these thirsty drains. I have yet to destroy the D.S. and I have had this game about 5-6 weeks!

Anyone else here get tired of being lectured by Yoda at the end of every single ball? I would pay extra to just have random quotes from the movie Trilogy instead of Yoda every single time. There is a ton a great material to draw from for this!

I do want to say I am not hating on S.W. here. I think this game is very good but feel it has potential to be kind of EPIC with some strategic tweaks.

#3040 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Anyone else been tempted to use pinball browser and have Yoda sing "Seagulls Stop it Now?" lol
» YouTube video

That was hillarious. I think that song may be less painful than Yoda's insults in the game....ok maybe not.

Quoted from zacaj:

Considering it's already on the endor mode start shot, they could even just add it to the mode selection screen

Didn't even think of that. Problem solved. Slight rule change and it could be started from same place as normal when holding ball at lit Endor shot. Of course any other available mode could be selected too just like always(players choice).

#3057 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I have thought a lot about this and I do know where you are coming from. It's frustrating to start a 4th level mission and then blow it right away. I just can't imagine ever getting all 4 victory medals. I feel lost during these multiball missions. I'd like to be able to play them as a single ball as well. Maybe if there was a game setting where these can be set as either single or multiball missions. The mission is lost if you drain without completing it.
Rob

I would love a setting for that too. Unfortunately I would say the chances of that happening are slim to none. The good news that I was unaware of until now is that you can add a ball. At least that is what some others were talking about. Sounds like the first thing to do next time Death Star Battle starts is attack the Force targets. That should light the button for add a ball. Try to complete both ramps next. Completing the ramps lights the death star. Then you just have to make a good shot into the D.S. without loosing more than 1 ball. As soon as this mode is down to one ball the death star goes un-lit and its over. If there was just some place you could get rid of the other ball for awhile on this game! Everything just spits it right back to you within seconds. If add a ball is not too difficult maybe its the key to this. Sounds like you just hit the button to add the ball once Force targets are completed. I like that because in theory you could wait until one of your two balls hits an outlane. Then hit the button and bring in another keeping the mode going. This may turn out to be really cool!

#3063 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You have to hold it for a second or two, to differentiate from just moving the multipliers or bashing tie fighters

Thats good to know, thank you for posting this! I think someone said it lights up orange when add a ball feature is enabled. I know its red when tie fighters are attacking.

Quoted from Rob_G:

Ok, I am going to try increasing the 4th mission ball save timers to something like at least 30 seconds. I have to learn these mission shots.... No more flailing around without knowing what I'm doing. These are by far the most challenging part of the game for me right now. I might also lower the left outlane post to the bottom setting. I guess I am not necessarily looking to make it easier, but certainly less frustrating than it can be. We all know blowing up the death star can be difficult. I've only done it twice so far.
Rob

Sheesh...I guess I should look at the adjustments more. I didn't know you could adjust ball same time on the 4th level missions. I am really glad to hear that. I think I will try increasing it about 5 seconds more and see if that helps. I don't want to make it too easy either. But I do want it to be reasonable to achieve.
I admit I did put both my drains on narrowest settings. Normally I leave these at factory default(middle). This game still drains a lot out the sides on narrow. I do want to check my play field angle with a digital level to see if its 6.5 as so many recommend here. I don't have one so I just set angle by the small level included on the game. It's possible my angle is off making that Death Star shot even harder, especially since mine is a premium and you have to go up the narrow fork ramp. Sure is a blast though when you make a clean shot into the D.S. It's a tight shot but nothing like the Gem shot on Tron. That shot may as well be pure luck, ridiculously hard.

1 month later
#3682 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I got mine directly from Cliff....picked them up at his house.....shoot him an email....make sure u get the spike 2 pinnovator sub card....its cheap $30....makes a big difference....

I would like to add a subwoofer to S.W.P. I don't see any for sale at pinnovator, just a kit to hook you own box? I don't want a sub on the floor, just a better woofer in the bottom of the cabinet. I ordered a kit for my S.T. from flipper fidelity which I don't like at all. The bass drowned out all voices & call outs so that I could not make them out. I put the original speakers back into the speaker panel and left the sub in the lower which helped a lot. It still does not sound right though and I am going back to 100% stock on S.T. and feel I wasted $150 plus shipping now. Is there any good kits that produce clear and balanced sound for these Stern games? Of course all these games need more bass but not at the expense of losing clear voice call-outs, etc. Any help advice really appreciated!

#3686 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Did you talk to Mike at FF? I have his sub/woofers in my games and they sound good. I removed the dial thing since it sounded better to me without it.
I don't have any spike games so maybe there is a different configuration for spike. Give him a ring.

I did not talk with Mike. I guess I should call him. The game I tried the F.F. kit in was Stern Star Trek which is a SAM. I don't think I can try this kit it Star Wars because it is a Spike game. Not to mention I put speaker light kits in Star Wars so the F.F. speakers would be too deep to fit the speaker panel.

Quoted from PtownPin:

I got the board kit from pinnovators, and hooked up an external sub (Polk $89)....if you are looking for better internal speakers u may want to try flipper fidelity....I have installed several in the past, but prefer the external sub since the sound is superior....

The kit I bought was from Flipper Fidelity. I think the sound was very muffled & muddy(lots of bass). Its better just using the sub and leaving stock speakers in the top but its still muddy and the bass is over powering the games vocals & call-outs.

Quoted from AUKraut:

Great timing, as I *just* now installed the Flipper Fidelity Spike 2 Kit with 8" sub & Speakerlight option on my SW Premium. I had previously installed Doug's SpeakerLights, so I knew to order these with the SpeakerLight option or the right backbox speaker will not fit in a Spike 2 cabinet.
Install took 20 minutes, very simple to do with great instructions included. Most everything is plug and play with existing HW. However, with SpeakerLights you must remove the crossbars on the factory speaker mount so that the protruding tweeters will clear on the replacement backbox speakers. Heavy duty pair of diagonal cutters took care of this easily. The Woofer requires the standard cutting of the speaker wire to remove the old woofer and crimping on of the connectors. Once again, simple remove and replace.
My SW Premium had (what I thought at the time) great sounding factory speakers, so I almost didn't make the change. Now that I did I am happy with it. There is a definite sound improvement, with some noticeable new sounds on the lower frequencies that were not audible before. Having the new audio adjustments that Stern has now included in the system setup code really helps one tweak it perfectly.

Since the kit I bought was SAM I can't try it on Star Wars. I don't think I am willing to buy anything else from FF. It does seem like S.W. would be much more likely to work since the game has tone controls. Especially since they added even more sound control with 1.01. I guess I will call FF and see what I they say. I assumed most people happy with their kits sound are listening to mostly music on a game like AC/DC or something. I wanted uprade sound systems for my Tron and Star Trek(as well as Star Wars). Since Tron & Star Trek have no tone control I am extra concerned about whether I will be able to get a kit with "balanced sound". The F.F. SAM kit for my Star Trek had too much bass from the upgraded speaker panel to hear vocals and I can't turn it down. I am sure this will be true for Tron as well.

#3689 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I would try the PInnovators spike 2 sub mod, and buy a $90 exterior sub....the sound is great....much better than the sound on my Met and ACDC, which had flipper fidelity speakers installed.....

I really don't want an external sub though. Are you unhooking the factory woofer in the lower cabinet with this kit? Are the speaker panel(top) speakers just stock?

#3692 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Keep in mind that Met and ACDC were antiquated mono sound with a crossover between the back box and cabinet speakers. SW is a SPIKE game which has three separate channels (2.1) of lossless sound. The new software allows bass and treble, balance, and separate volume for cabinet speaker. The Flipper Fidelity with the adapter and ten inch woofer sounds much better in SW than in the older games and the new controls opens up a whole new level of tweaking.

Maybe I can use the 8" F.F. sub woofer that I got for my SAM Star Trek and put it in Star Wars instead(in place of factory 8" woofer). With the separate tone contols available on S.W. I may be able to adjust sound where I am happy. I should not need any kits to do this? For Tron & Star Trek I may consider sharing a sub on the floor shared by both games. I guess I would need two pinnovators sub mods(for SAM games). There seems to be a consensus here that Pinnovators kit with external sub is the best sounding. Thanks to all for your input on this topic. I was about to give up on trying to upgrade sound systems on my games after my previous experience.

#3714 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I agree with some of the previous posts, there needs to be a way to postpone or select not to play lightsaber duel. It kills the flow of the game trying to work through the missions and then have everything stop and make you play lightsaber duel. Should be like Hobbit where you use the button to toggle off the lock shot or mode shot when you are not wanting to start multiball or start a particular mode.

i totally agree and was dissapointed 1.01 did not offer a way to pass on light saber duel. It never fails to interrupt me when I am just about to start a planet multiball. By then I am on ball 3 and I drain during L.S. duel. All mission starts already offer a PASS option. It would be awesome if when L.S. duel interrupts and you are forced to shoot left ramp(as it normally is): Ball is held on left return ramp(as it normally is), then: left flipper button = start duel, right flipper button = pass. Problem solved! Continue where you were at prior to interruption.

Quoted from luvthatapex2:

If you don't ask Mike for help on configuring your game you have only yourself to blame if you are not satisfied. There is something wrong in the hookup if you have muddy/muffled sound. I have the same speaker system in 2 SAM games (TRON and XMEN) and they sound much better than stock.

I'm glad to hear your Flipper Fidelity speaker kit sounded good for you, that is encouraging. I installed the SAM kit in my Stern STLE according to the directions. Really not much to it. The bass simply over whelmed the vocals & call-outs so that it is very hard to understand them. The game has no bass & treble controls so that leaves you stuck with only volume control(and I did get the separate volume control for the speaker panel speakers). What you get is what you get. For me it was muffled down vocals that are much harder to understand and lots of bass in the music & sound effects(this is what I mean by "unbalanced sound"). I will call Mike and see what he has to say however. Thanks for your input.

#3720 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

My flipper fidelity speakers sound great in SW

I called Mike at Flipper Fidelity. He owns a Stern Star Trek also and agreed with me that the same thing happened to him when he installed the kit. Apparently the factory adjustments for sound are tailored different than most Stern games resulting in more bass. This becomes too much with the F.F. kit. However there are some separate volume controls in the settings menus somewhere that allow you to control back ground sounds & music, and speech. He was able to adjust those until it sounded right. So there is hope for me yet on STLE getting the sound more balanced with the F.F. kit. Very encouraging!

Quoted from Crile1:

Quick question. I finally got 3 balls in the hyperloop on 3 consecutive shots...allowing for the ball to settle where I could take a decent shot. By the time the 4th ball was autoplunged, the hyperloop stopped. Is there a way to keep the hyperloop going to give time to get the third ball in. I honestly didn't look up to see the score ticking down. Does hitting the ramps/spinner add time?

I can't believe you managed to get 3 balls in there before it times out - awesome! That is such a tight shot.

Quoted from TheLaw:

If you don't want to start Light Saber duel don't hit the targets, or at least work out a better plan.

I really don't see this as a practical solution. Most hits to these targets are not intentional anyway(at least for me). The point is the L.S duel could very easily be updated to be the players choice. It's very hard to get to certain later stages in this game and that is exactly when you don't need L.S. duel over-riding what ever you were trying to achieve(IMHO).

#3722 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I completely understand your point and people wanting things to work a certian(t) way, but again, pinball machines have always "been against you" and shouldn't be set up as total user option guided tours.
Example of the Tron you own; You cant hit the flipper and select which target bank award is lit. Now SOS is lit, but you want double scores going into it but something else is lit are lit...what do you do? Try to shoot around to pops and move the award to Double and then start SOS...shit, went in scoop and you're screwed.
Or take Wh20. Gotta complete Willys and then start multiball for Vacation jackpot, accidentally goes in lock and you're totally screwed after.
The point is, yes these things could be "switched off" if programmed that way, or you can can learn to plan things better and take notice of what's happening. If you notice you're near SOS in Tron you set up the double scoring to start before...liekj Wh20 with X5 MB. If you're semi close to saber duel why not go after the targets and start duel before something else you're planning? Or you can just sit back and hope the drops get knocked down in a pleasing manner to you.

Oh I get it, that is pinball. There are lots of games with these kinds of things that happen just when you don't want them to. I see your point about keeping an eye on the drop progress. To be honest I tend to totally ignore it except when I want to qualify add a ball. You could always force the L.S. duel before you go into a planet mode. I tend to get totally focused on mode progress and what I need to hit to finish the mode. Many of those turkeys relight a bunch of shots if you don't complete them all in the time it wants you to. You can seem to get stuck in some endlessly if you don't make the sequence in time. It swear its even kept me from starting any other modes as well! In any case this game causes me tunnel vision often because I want to get further into the modes than I have before. You are correct though. I am learning the more things you can pay attention to the more it will pay off for you. This game has so many layers to it. And all of it plays out at you in lightning speed. On top of that missed shots are not forgiving. Miss and everything can time out before you regain control of the ball(or worse lose it). This can include shot multipliers, combos, hurry ups, completed mode shots(resetting), and probably other things.

#3723 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Example of the Tron you own; You cant hit the flipper and select which target bank award is lit. Now SOS is lit, but you want double scores going into it but something else is lit are lit...what do you do? Try to shoot around to pops and move the award to Double and then start SOS...shit, went in scoop and you're screwed.

I can't believe I never even thought to try to double scores before SOS! I think my problem may actually be that I ignore drop targets to much

Quoted from TheLaw:

Or take Wh20. Gotta complete Willys and then start multiball for Vacation jackpot, accidentally goes in lock and you're totally screwed after.

Been there done that! This has to be one of the all time worst examples....DOOOOHHHHHHHHH!

#3726 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Dude that's the whole key! No timer either...carries into Portal if you complete SOS

I'm really glad you mentioned this one. I have never really stopped to think about the importance this feature. To date my high score on Tron is only ~ 125M. I have heard scores in the billions are possible on this game but its hard for me to believe from my experience. On top of that I have not made it to the Portal yet. In fact no one that has played my Tron has and I know a few well above average players. My style is to shoot around at what ever looks good at the time. I actually try not to start disk multiball for as long as possible so that I can do other things. There must be a lot to this game that we have been missing if people are really scoring in the billions.

1 month later
#4472 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Finally got my hands on some side blades that match the world under the glass and look good!

Which ones are you referring to?

9 months later
#6468 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Agree that it’s an excellent pin. That said, I can’t even look at it lately because I’m smitten with JJPOTC.

Quoted from Wildbill327:

JJpotc is on my radar but one of my pins must get rotated to make room and it might be SW.

I was seriously looking at doing the same thing. What finally burned me out was trying to keep up with the hundreds of posts about various problems with JJPOTC. Quality issues of just about every kind seem to be on the owners thread. It's a very complex game and the last thing I feel like is getting another new game that needs lots of tweaking and repairs to keep it playing. Especially when it costs $9500 for the premium version. Problems included bubbles in the art work on cabinets, chipping on playfields, cable harnesses rubbing through to bare wires(too short), etc. Not just minor adjustment stuff, but unacceptable quality issues too. It's all on the owners thread but I got weary trying to keep up with it all(currently at nearly 600 posts). Very sad because I really liked a lot of things about the game. In the end its not worth dumping Star Wars to get it for me. Besides I have still not faced the Emperor. I have blown the death star many times(mostly Endor) though and its always a rush. I have he premium version which I think makes that harder to do but much more satisfying. The love or hate thing about this game to me is it takes strategy to master it. Not a good game for zoning out and just having a mindless escape. If you are not paying attention you will not get very far. It rewards those who patiently learn the rules and begin to build various strategies to accomplish them. There are many different ways to play it too which keeps its interesting. The depth of the rules, the difficulty, and the freedom to play it so many different ways is what I think make it such a great long term home game. I also prefer the "mode based" structure of the game which has great video/audio clips from the series to reward your progress.

#6477 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

As the author of many of those posts, let me say a few things.
I own two LE machines. The first one had a ton of problems. All have been fixed. The second one had only minor adjustments (pearl ramp, tortuga scoop and chest fork. )
Both machines are working 100% and i absolutely love playing them. This is by far my favorite pin and I wouldn’t have bought a second if I didn’t believe in it deeply.
The posts about fixes are a double edged sword. I personally think it’s good to share knowledge about the fixes so we can all learn. I can see that they would be off putting.

Why would you need two, do you operate these games? It is an impressive game and I really had good impressions from the one I played. I loved the flow and variety of shots. My only negative impressions were that all the major multiball modes felt about the same to me. Also I wanted more differentiation between the chapters or whatever. I see little video/audio that feels different and progresses to a finish like mode based games. For example how S.W. modes feel so different because you see/hear video and audio clips from different movies and planets. I like how you see new progressing clips and audio with each successful shot all the way to a conclusion which is satisfying. I do want to put more time in on JJPOTC but nearest game is 2hrs away.

Quoted from f3honda4me:

The vast majority of POTC games had zero issues. Many of the "common" issues are quick and easy adjustments or fixes. Some of them were also shipping induced or bugs that are fixed in the next release. This game has had really no more or less issues compared to any other game you buy. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill and scaring yourself from owning what is easily one of the best games ever made.

How do you know this? I mean I hope its true but the massive posts on the owners thread sure give me a different impression. I personally just have far less patience than I used to for repairing new games. Not to mention having to start over with the upgrades that I like to install. I have put about 2K of upgrades into my S.W. premium. To be fair Star Wars looked empty by comparison and badly needed some help. It took a long time to get everything I wanted ordered & installed including a full playfield protector from germany(to prevent dimples). It looks & plays so sweet now I don't think I can part with it. Believe me JJPOTC really got my attention and I would love to own it. I am in the same boat and need to sell one to afford another and have room for it. All the work of starting the whole process over is just too much to bare though.

#6480 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Nope. I have a permanent home in another state and a work home in CA. I didn’t want to stop playing when I came back to work after the holidays so I bought another one, confident I can sell when I need to.

Nice! Well you are obviously sold on the game to buy two. Do you know why the first one had so many problems and the second was so much better? Do you think the quality has improved? I really appreciate your input, thank you.

#6552 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

How are you guys dealing with (or avoiding) playing the video mode again and again and again? One of the main reasons I sold mine was on a good game, I was playing that damn video mode 5-6 times with no way to skip it. At least with GoT, you could choose to play or skip. Why can't that be an option here? It is honestly one of my favorite video modes, but I really do not want to see it more than once per game.
I also wish you could avoid getting stuck in "LSD Jail". It seemed like if I was focused on and making headway towards a planet multiball, I would end up having to start LSD and that's when I would magically be unable to complete the shots on time. Since you have to shoot the left ramp to start the mode anyway, I would love to see a skip for now option like the regular modes have. Either that, or at least after you drain, have the option to continue or not. It would add some strategy too by making you requalify to play it later. Even though LSD is an awesome mode, I hate that it locks you out of everything else, especially when you are close to a planet multi. I do not want to stack it, but I would love to choose whether or not I want to play it...especially after draining.
If Dwight would add the ability to skip replaying the video mode (at least after the first one), and a way to opt out of LSD (at start and at next ball start), I would seriously consider buying it back. I really enjoyed everything else about the code. Heck...I could probably live with the LSD thing if repeating the video mode would at least be avoidable.

I know this has been stated multiple times on this thread but I think you are spot on. As an owner my biggest gripe is I almost never get to experience planet multiballs without forced interruptions. LSD should not be forced after first attempt even if you failed to complete it. It has stopped me from making planet multiball countless times due to sudden interruption and I lose ball 3 during attempt to finish, game over. After first failed attempt, the next LSD could give you flipper choice like: left flipper - opt out LSD, right flipper - continue LSD. It would be awesome if you opt. out then LSD became one of your available choices next time you get to choose mission. Next huge improvement for me would be stop tie fighter multiball images from taking priority over planet multiball images. Almost every time I have planet M.B. tie fighter interrupts and I never see any more images or info. about the planet multiball, only common tie fighter M.B. images. I would place opt. out of video mode option on the list too. However I would rather see a different video mode for Hoth intead(I know, dream on). And add an extra ball opportunity in video mode by replacing one of the asteroids with E.B. that you have to collide with to collect. Finally if end of ball quotes and sound effects from the entire series could be added it would improve game so much. Can you imagine how many cool quotes they could use for end of ball from different characters? The more the better! Who needs the Yoda lecture every single time? It's repetitive and annoying! Forget the Yoda end of ball screens if need be, and replace with generic EOB screen. These are not small gripes for me as an owner. I understand others dumping the game over this stuff. For me its the biggest love/hate part of S.W. The game could be so much more enjoyable with some tweaks to code. I am so on the fence right now about selling to get something like JJPOTC. I would hate to let this game go, it's so awesome otherwise. What are the chances any of this stuff might happen on a scale of 1-10? P.S. Does anyone know how to re-open the right gate? I would like to know all possible ways. Especially any that you can earn from shots, not just R2D2 random awards or something.

#6560 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Long live LSD!
Just time it out if you want to avoid it.

Were not saying get rid of it. Just ways to improve this already great game. Stopping and holding the ball on flipper kills the flow & action. A quick flipper choice only improves things. It already stops/holds ball for LSD into. anyway.

#6562 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I know exactly what you're saying because I've been hearing it since day 1. My opinion has always been the same and will not change; the game isn't your buddy and you're going through it together, it is created to beat you.
Your Tron doesn't ask you if you want to start a MB when the ball sneaks back in the scoop, or "accidentally" hits the recognizer etc etc a million examples. I think people feel like it should give you an option for everything in SW & GOT because it already gives you so many choices but I'll never be down with it, and Dwight is never going to change it anyway.
"killing flow" is a mental weakness you need to break, SW is helping you!

I'm not trying to change your mind about LSD and I understand your points. Especially about the game trying to beat you. However I think its a valid point of frustration for many. Having LSD, video, and other things high jack your game more than once seems unnecessary and repetitive. Delaying these interruptions at certain critical times would be very nice. I agree with you on two points though. This game does give you many choices making it very cool. JJPOTC gives you something like 20 characters to choose from. However each character only gives 1 slight rules advantage. Far less significant than the many differences the four S.W. characters make to rules & pre-lit modes. And yes I doubt Dwight will change it. But lets keep some faith like Leia: "Help us Dwight, your our only hope".

2 weeks later
#6686 5 years ago

Haven't looked at the ratings on S.W. for awhile. It's already down to 33! I wonder if it's going to fall completely off the top 100? I think its a hugely under appreciated game.

#6701 5 years ago

Anybody know how to re-light escape(right outlane)? I know that it is occasionally one of the choose your path choices. I am assuming there is a way to earn it though.

#6706 5 years ago
Quoted from stenbough:

I bought my first pin yesterday- a gently used Star Wars Premium. I'm really digging everything about this game. I've put in about 40 games or so and got to the final Death Star mission twice with R2D2. My ball times are starting to get a lot longer as I'm controlling the ball vs smacking it around at all the flashing lights. Contrary to what a lot of people are saying about the premium Death Star shot, I'm finding it to not be so bad. I actually find it's easier to hit from the left flipper instead of the right. Maybe it's because I'm still trying to find the angles and the left shot is more aligned with the ramp. And that hyperspace rail around the top... it's so satisfying to watch that I wish it went around a few more times for fun! Well, that's it for now... I have a lot of pages to read and this Death Star to destroy. The fate of the galaxy rests in my hands!
And no the ceiling of my game room isn't THAT low... just where the vent runs through. It's not very cramped when you step back and look at it.
[quoted image]

Congratulations on the premium. A great choice I think. I am putting some new mods in mine at the moment but I think I will post a few photos when I get done(It's pretty pimped out with upgrades & mods). I still need to get a digital level to adjust playfield angle. I can't make the D.S. with left flipper. I think mine is too steep.

Quoted from tktlwyr:

FORCE Drop Targets: Each completion of the 5-bank drop targets during non-mode play scores a different award. The awards are as follows:
“F” - Light Mystery (at the right scoop)
“O” - Light Escape (ball save at the right outlane)
“R” - Light Video Mode (at the right loop)
“C” - Doubled Multipliers (times out if your overall multiplier does as well)
“E” - Light Lightsaber Duel (at the left ramp)2nd set of drops lights the "O" and Escape is the award.

Thank you so much for this information! I have had this game a year and somehow managed to not figure out how to light escape.

#6772 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Angle Cube is the only way to go! Works great with table saw blade alignment as well.
amazon.com link »

Hey thanks so much for this info. I know they make cell phone apps but I wanted an actual digital level but have been unable to find one. One angle cube is on the way!

2 weeks later
#6844 5 years ago

Has anyone reverted to previous firmware? A week ago I updated to 1.05 from 1.03. Unless its a coincidence I have been noticing problems with speech attenuation all of the sudden. Whats weird is it only happens on certain missions. What I have noticed is the voices during fourth mission multiballs are almost a whisper compared to other sounds/speech going on. I am referring to mission specific speech like when the emperor says: "Now witness the fire power of this fully armed and operational battle station". Also certain speech during other missions is way too low. I noticed a big difference in the death star mission where Luke yells: "I got him" as he destoys a tie fighter with the cannon. I can barely even hear it now while other speech and sound effects are loud. I tried to play with speech attenuation but it affects all speech. I wanted to revert back to 1.03 to see if things would be normal but the game does not even see any files on the USB stick that has 1.03 on it. It only acknowledge firmware that is equal to or newer than what is currently installed.

1 month later
#7098 4 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

It's a real bummer that the planet multiballs have some of the best clips in the game but they're mixed so low you can barely hear them. Really sucks the momentum out of an epic moment.

I can't believe your the only one to mention this. This is probably what bothers me the most about this game right now. You work so hard to get to a planet multiball and the voices are at whisper level? I can barely hear the emperor talking. Other sounds are very loud by comparison. Including his laughing during tilt warnings(which I think is awesome). I agree, nothing sucks the excitement of an epic moment worse than muted sounds. And inevitably I accidentally start a tie fighter hurry up every time I reach planet multiball only to see clips blocked by stupid hurry up points count down take over entire screen! This should be displayed at same time(super imposed) as planet clips. There is no reason this can't be done!

#7099 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMIX:

Is this what you are looking for? Just did a test on the Death Star Run ...

I just realized I should have read further before making my last post. It's obvious some others are bothered by certain sound mix problems and A/V priorities. In particular mission clips are frequently interrupted and audio is drowned out by loud sound effects and other common features such as hurry ups, etc. I think this game could be so epic with polish. The hurry ups could be re-located to the small screen so as not to interrupt missions. How ever just super imposing them into the mission screens somewhere would be much better. My guess is the chance of Stern doing any of this at this point is about one in a million. This death star run mix was incredible. How much does it differ from what is in current code? Can all of the missions mixes be fixed? Is there any way to change video priorities in this game? If missions could be made to always take priority of screen I would be thrilled. You still have playfield inserts to indicate hurry ups anyway. No need to block all clips just to show a hurry up count down.

#7107 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Is that carnival music in the background on the original? I have never noticed it.

The music in the Luke vs Vader demo is a song called Castle Walls by Styx(70's rock band). I actually thought it was pretty interesting and fit kind of well. I would like to hear it with the music from the movie(Empire Strikes Back) though. I can't even remember right now what Stern used for this. In any case some interesting things are possible with PinballMIX.

#7109 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMIX:

Pinball MIX can tackle this. PM or visit PinballMIX.com for more info. And yes ... there are some Epic moments hiding in that machine!

I am very interested in knowing more about how to order from you. Tried looking at your page but Facebook wants me to log in before showing me anything. Sorry, I don't do Facebook. Do you have another way to view the information about this?

#7111 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’d like to see all the music from the movies integrated properly into the modes for theatrical accuracy.
Could be really incredible

I think a lot of people would be interested in this. Not to mention fixing the muted voices during all missions. Not all missions or call outs have a problem. It certainly is obvious when you hear one though. Maybe we should start making a list of the missions and call outs that are muted.

#7112 4 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

The Endor victory multiball should play Yub Nub.

I think the music from the huge space battle during the end of Return of the Jedi would be more appropriate. If you are serious about this though PinballMIX obviously can do that for you. I think most people feel the teddy bear stuff got a little out of control in ROJ. The space battle and simultaneous battle between Luke, Vader, and the Emperor totally redeemed it though.

#7134 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMIX:

Hold on to your hats people ... you will be pleasantly surprised this evening.
I just got back from grabbing the kids from daycare, eatin' some pizza, and now time for baths and bedtime routine.
I wish I may ... I wish I might ... I wish for some cool Star Wars videos tonight ...

Those mixes are not what I am looking for. I understand someone wanted to customize their game but those sound so out of place to me. Is there any chance you will be putting music scores used in actual movies for each mission? Can you fix the call outs in modes that are not loud enough? I think if you did something like this many folks here would be interested in purchasing. I am looking for improving what is there now but maybe adding some movie scores that fit well to various modes. Is there a chance you could offer a "generic" Star Wars improvement mix along these lines that many could purchase from you? With many interested could you offer it at a lower price to each person?

#7135 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMIX:Sorry ... just saw this. Not sure why facebook needs you to log in. Should all be public. Maybe to watch videos you need to be logged in? I will look into it.
Feel free to ask any and all questions here or on the Pinball MIX main thread. Lots of info there.
Short description of Pinball MIX service:
- Name YOUR Machine and what YOU have in mind ... get a quote
- Pick 25-35 songs your really like (thematically or an eclectic mix)
- Make a few suggestions on where you want specific songs, then trust Pinball MIX to make a cohesive overall personalized experience.
- A small deposit secures your place in line (current wait-list is 3 Mixes at the moment)
- Balance paid only when the 1st draft of your MIX is ready.
- Receive a Volume Feedback Sheet with 1st Draft to fine tune (Test it for a week or two)
- Pinball MIX tweaks and sends Final Draft.
***NOTE: No two MIXES are the same. I can see that many people are interested in music from Mr. Williams. I have already made one MIX like this. Star Wars has an insane amount of music in there. It is near impossible to fill every mode/multiball/nook and cranny with original score. As some have stated, there isn't enough upbeat (adrenaline) music in there for everything. Not to make a mix that flows for pinball. (The client's MIX had about two thirds score in it) That being said, there are plenty of iconic moments that are tied to this wonderful score. Someone recognized this, and in the music that he owns, he sent me that music as his choice, along with a bunch of other music that fit for amped up moments like lightsaber duel, tie M-Ball, Boba Fett, and others. My model does not allow for just putting mixes out there for everyone. I need to make personalized music for my individual clients. You own the music. You own the machine. I am simply your hired-gun private sound technician. Best to PM Pinball MIX to see what can be achieved with your own personalized version of a Star Wars or other MIX.

You posted this just before I finished my last post and answered everything before I asked. I understand, thank you.

#7139 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Nailed it.
My biggest complaint has been that I have felt that the fairly deep ruleset didn't match the brutality of the pin. I just wasn't getting very far into it. Part of the reason for that was not having a real good understanding of the overall rules and the best strategy to complete various modes with stacking on. Turning stacking off definitely helps with the immersion into the theme, and also makes it easier to concentrate on the actual mission (mode) at hand. It is also more satisfying to complete a mode with stacking off because with stacking on you will often miss the audio cues telling you that you completed a mode.
I like stacking off, but it's obviously going to make it harder to defeat the Emperor (which I finally did for the first time last week...with stacking on).

I turned stacking off very soon after getting my premium over a year ago. I want to experience all missions one at a time for the very reasons you mention. I am sure it has a large effect on ones scoring potential. And yes the chances of even getting to the Emperor are reduced drastically. That said I think its worth it. At least for a HUO game. I offset the huge difficulty increase by opening up other rules somewhat. I set replay award to extra ball and increase max extra ball count to 5. Maybe increase some ball save timers a bit(5-10 sec). Also add a tilt warning. There are lots of other options. That said I'm sure completing the game is still way easier with stacking. I have not come close to the Emperor yet. That's my one regret from turning stacking off.

#7140 4 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Is there any difference between turning stacking off and just choosing not to selct stacked modes in the mission screen?

Good point! You just won't get the option to stack any missions when you reach mission select. Ignoring the stacked missions would be about the same as having it set to off in other words.

#7147 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMIX:

And now ... for the real Pinball MIX Star Wars Video ...

That was much better. It opens with very brief ominous "Empire" type score then goes into something else that is not related to Star Wars. However it did fit the urgency of the mission quite well. Question: Could you replace the sound effect Stern used to indicate the shot multiplier timer is about to expire(the sort of knocking sound)? I find that sound effect really annoying. There has to be something from one of the movies that would sound much better than that.

#7159 4 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

With the full John Williams soundtrack is not bad too

That is outstanding, love it! It is totally seemless. Is the sound track different only for ball play between missions? In other words is there custom music for some of the missions too? How did you do this? P.S. You are an awesome player. That was a joy to watch. It's a great demonstration of what an awesome game Star Wars is.

#7180 4 years ago
Quoted from Jazzbouche:

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to share a video showing the 'Epic' John Williams mix that PinballMIX created for me. I've been really happy with the results, and tried to showcase the music as best I can in the game I video'd. It's a bit scrappy as the camera was right in my face, but hopefully gets across the idea/experience.
The idea here was that most of the mix is John Williams, but a few choice tracks are specifically chosen by me (for a variety of reasons). It's not finished yet - this was the first pass which I've been playing and getting to know. I can say it really improves my gameplay for some reason and just makes the game so much more authentic for me personally. It may not be to everyones taste, but I've found this the best bang for buck mod I could personally add to a game I love.
Hoping to put more videos up in the future, but wanted to share this whilst it was fresh in the thread.
Cheers!

Thanks very much for sharing! That was a great game by the way. I like most of the music. Not so much on the Escape Bobba Fet or select mission. It sounds unbalanced though. The music is loud and mission call outs are mostly muted. In between mission call outs are loud though. Like "shoot the hyperspace ramp", etc. I have noticed this about the factory firmware. I wish this was the opposite. Mission call outs louder and common call outs muted down some. I don't need C3PO screaming "go for the hyperspace ramp" at hiked up volume. That gets very old on a HUO game. I can see that being reasonable for location games. A balanced volume level for all call outs would be much better though.

#7186 4 years ago
Quoted from Jazzbouche:

Thanks man - the game was solid, but I was a bit hampered by the
damn phone in my face! I want to setup a streaming rig, so need to
find out how to do that!
Anyway, yep the mix isn't finished yet - you're right a few
of the levels are off (couple of the tracks too loud) and the
mission callouts very quiet. All that is to be sorted by
PinballMIX. This first version was for me to play, get to know,
then suggest any final changes. I personally love the Boba Fett
track and especially the select mission music, but that's the
beauty of the process - you would be able to change out the stuff
that doesn't work for you. As with all things pinball, its a great
mod if you value this particular aspect of the game. I'll hopefully
do more videos in the future to share.

Glad to hear PinballMIX is going to level everything for you. I am very interested in hearing how this turns out for you. I would be very great full if you could share how that turns out. The unbalanced call outs are one of the things that bother me most about this excellent game. The way hurry ups and other things take priority over all mission audio/video(including planet multiballs) is the other. At least there is hope to fix the audio leveling(muted call outs) in the game. I wonder if anything could be done to keep mission audio/video as top priority by editing the code? At least for planet multiball's anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if hurry ups, tie figher multiball, etc. can even over-ride audio/video during battle the emperor. I have never got that far in part because I have mission stacking set to off. Is Jedi multiball the same as battle the emperor?

#7188 4 years ago
Quoted from Hoochoo:

Leia's special ability is +3x on top of your current multiplier,
happens instantly when entering a planet's mini-wizard mode but it
never goes over the cap. If you enter "Destroy the Death Star" with
say 5x with Leia you instantly jump to 8x but if you are already at
a max level (20x/40x) you get nothing.
While I've focused a lot of the analysis on Leia I don't want to
leave people with the impression that she has some hidden special
abilities in addition to her current one of +3x in planet
multiballs. In reality Luke also has this "ability" of getting big
scores simply from unlocking planets (even Han if he unlocks the
DS). It's all a by-product of balancing.
I've always thought that Leia and Luke have a "what's next"
problem for tournament play, each have quick access to 1
mini-wizard mode (Leia: Tatooine, Luke: Hoth) but then what? In
tournament play they are at least 2 missions away from accessing
another planet's multiball mode. Han and R2-D2 don't have a "what's
next" problem, Han has easy access to 2 or 3 planet's multiballs
while R2-D2 has DS and Endor. So with the compensated scoring it
all evens out in the end.
Regarding the 3rd shot not being multiplied, I agree at first
glance it's not very intuitive but one could argue that having too
much emphasis in the early game with multipliers could hurt the
flow of the game. Multiplier or not, the last shot is always the
most rewarding so it feels like it's multiplied but now we know it
isn't, more power to us.
Speaking of multipliers... I've gone through every mission and
worked out which shots are multiplied and which shots are not...
This might surprise.
From preliminary testing:
R2D2 missions: 24 of 26 shots - 92.3%
Leia missions: 26 of 35 shots - 74.3%
Han missions: 17 of 26 shots - 65.4%
Luke missions: 11 of 40 shots - 27.5%
There you go, for those that like to park the multiplier and
just shoot... Luke is your man! Those that like it busy R2 is for
you.
I'll eventually double check everything and I'll make a follow
up post in a few weeks similar to this one:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you/page/122#post-4709781
But I wont leave you hanging till then, here it is in text
form:
DS1: All shots
DS2 Han: All shots
DS2 Leia/Luke: Only last shot
DS3: None
Endor 1: Only last shot
Endor 2 Luke: Only the second ramp shot when completing a
set. x3
Endor 3: All shots. Second set of 4 worth much more than the
first.
Hoth 1: Video Mode, yes
Hoth 2 Leia/R2-D2: All shots
Hoth 2 Luke: Only last shot
Hoth 3 Leia: Only last shot
Hoth 3 R2-D2: Only last shot
Tatooine 1: All shots
Tatooine 2: Only last shot
Tatooine 3 Luke: None
Again this is preliminary, I'll be going through all missions
again just to be sure.

Very thorough investigation! I think it's so cool how many ways there are to approach this game. The variety will keep it interesting for a long time. I had no idea some shots do not get multiplied. Are you saying that you could have a 40X multiplier qualified, shoot a lit shot, and not get any extra points for the shot? If so it seems like the green lit multiplier inserts should change to some other color(like yellow) to indicate they will not count at that time. Very good observations!

#7229 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This pin was completely kicking my ass for the better part of a year. I didn't like the code for a few reasons: I wasn't getting far enough into the game to realize how good the code was because it was kicking my ass, and I didn't have a good understanding of the rules and strategy to make the most of completing the modes. I was of the opinion that the fairly deep code did not match well to the brutality of the pin.
Finally took the time to try and dial the pin in, which involved a lot of adjustments regarding pitch. I was all over the place, from 7.0 to 7.2 to 6.5 to 6.8 and finally settling around 6.6. I have a fairly loose tilt too. I had been playing with stacking on for quite awhile, but just recently turned stacking off and found myself really enjoying the modes more since you can concentrate on each individual mode. I thought no way would I get to battle the Emperor with stacking off and I would never beat my prior high score of 12 billion, but then, today, I did this (defeated the Emperor and was 3 missions away from getting back to Emperor with my second character. This is one of my most epic games on any pin in a couple of years):
[quoted image]

Amazing score! I have to say thank you for posting this. I know lots of others here have said to put pitch to 6.5. I assumed mine was in the ball park. Finally got a digital level and found it at 5.5. I could not back hand the Death Star on my premium. Did exactly what you said here and spent lots of time to make sure the game is absolutly level side to side and at 6.5. Incidently the factory bubble level is exactly in the middle on my game at 6.5 deg. What a change! I have had my game about 1.5 years at the wrong pitch with stacking off too. I am getting way farther now and less cheap side to side drains. Once in awhile the mystery scoop sends ball SDTM but ball save kicks it back in. Which flipper should the ball land on from the scoop? I thought with stacking off I would never get to Emperor but now I have real hope. I completed 3 planet MB's and got close on the last(D.S.) which had no missions spotted. I still have not been able to backhand D.S. How do you guys do it? Does the ball have to have some momentum on the left flipper? Another question: Is what people here call battle the Emperor the same thing as Jedi multiball? Anyway game is way more enjoyable right now. No question for me stacking off is the way to go. This game is always challenging but what a blast. I totally understand the love/hate thing people talk about with Star Wars. I had some times I considered selling it for something less frustrating. This game really rewards you when it is set up proper and you start to understand the complex rules.

#7231 4 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Where was your bubble when it was at 5.5 ?

Good question. Thats whats strange. Since I had no digital level I originally set up the game by the factory playfield level centering the bubble between the lines. Sometime later I noticed the bubble had drifted down. The game never gets moved and sits in exactly the same place on carpet. Leg nuts were locked in place too. I wonder now if the playfield was not all the way down completely when I initially setup the game. It could have changed after I lifted the playfield for something and then re-seated it. Anyway its dead center now and my digital level indicates 6.5 exactly.

#7240 4 years ago
Quoted from Hoochoo:

Extra Balls:
1) Complete 5 missions.
2) Destroy 90 TIE Fighters. (100 on some machines, check your settings to see if they are set to default)
3) TIE Fighter 3-Bank mini game: Find the Advanced TIE fighter on the mini-display; keep shooting it to reveal a pinball (limit of one per game).
4) Pop Bumper reward (Random).
5) Mystery reward (Random. I don't know why but I've only gotten it maybe once or twice since owning the machine! Just bad luck?)
6) Starting Jedi MB aka: 'Defeat the Emperor'.

Is this everything? I know you can also set replay award and special award to extra ball. I like to do this on home games. I think it's especially fair on this game when mode stacking is set to off.

3 years later
#13965 1 year ago

Anyone else notice voice call-outs during planet multiball modes are muted to the point they are almost impossible to hear? Even with volume set loud. This happens to me on: Destroy the Death Star, Battle above Endor, Escape from Hoth, and Escape from Tattooine. I am talking about vocals and call-outs Specifically pertaining to those modes. Any other callouts which occur during the Planet MB modes which are unrelated remain at normal volume. It’s really a let down to reach a Planet mode and not be able to hear anything. What was Stern thinking?

#13969 1 year ago
Quoted from OhmEye:

I've not noticed this. What version of code?

Mine is premium, v1.05

Quoted from ExSquid:

I have to say, Got my game in December. Most games I get REALLY bored of pretty quickly but this game is so fast and flowy I'm still loving it as much as the first day I got it. I really don't get the hate I've read about for the last couple of years. That's why I stayed away for the most part. I know....blah blah blah.

If you’re talking about me… Definitely no hate here! Just disappointment about those awesome modes that I can’t hear. I love that Stern put so many movie assets into this game. They did excellent in that regard! The planet MB modes are my favorite, and most exciting to me. Is it OK to want to hear them too? I agree with you. I think Star Wars is hugely underrated. It’s probably the deepest, fastest, and most challenging pin I’ve ever owned. It definitely makes you a better player. The huge amount of intellectual property in the game, and the many different ways to play it keep it exciting. It is ALWAYS challenging to play. And if you are moving the playfield multiplier around between shots at that speed… We’re talking Next level stuff! This game deserves better than 49th place.

Quoted from Yoko2una:

Because of your post I looked out for this last night, and can confirm the callouts in Battle Above Endor are incredibly quiet, far quieter than any other normal dialogue in the game. V1.23 code, most current, Prem model.

Thank you for checking this! I have been carefully examining code updates in the README files to see any mention of fixing this problem. That’s why I have not updated. I don’t like to lose all high scores and other settings each time I update. I know for a fact that the volume on all these modes used to be normal. That’s why I miss it so much. Sounds crazy, but that background chatter while making a run on the death star made me feel like I was in the cockpit. I think the problem happened on v1.03. This is from the README file: “ Improved the volume of several sounds and speech calls”. It’s the only time since I’ve seen volume concerning sounds/speech mentioned in code updates. I hear of people getting into the code and tweaking things. Makes me wonder if it’s possible to put those settings back to normal?

#13972 1 year ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

No man, just in general. I'm just talking about the vibe and general attitude toward the game itself. That's why I stayed away, and I'm a big SW fan. Glad I finally caved in and got it!

I know, this game has taken a lot of heat. I think a lot of it was because there was few toys/mechs. I have to agree it looked a little underwhelming on the surface. But you gotta get into this thing to appreciate it. Steve designed it for crazy fast action. Welcome to the S.W club! You won’t be disappointed.

#13985 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Once I confirm it's on all planet MB's, a bunch of us should write it in to Stern.
I also witnessed again the thing I mentioned above in Post #13964 where I'm using Escape to back into the shooter, and though I don't believe I have any hurry-ups going I'm only getting the Select Skill Shot screen a portion of the time. And once when I didn't have it display, I just hit the Action Button to launch and I swore it lit Boba Fett as if I selected it. This IMHO is more of a severe bug than audio clip volume, so I'm going to try to recreate this more and more again.

It’s definitely on all planet MB’s on my game. I think people have not noticed it because their games are newer, and never experienced version 1.02 or earlier. It’s hard to miss what you never experienced. All kinds of great quotes, sounds, and chatter are there in those modes. Stuff that helped build excitement, like: “Death star approaching”. “ Watch for enemy fighters”. “There’s too many of them”. “Get set up for your attack run”. “All right kid let’s blow this thing and get out of here “. “Great shot kid that was one in a million”. Now you just can’t hear them anymore. It was so much better before they muted all that. Obviously I have never gotten over it. I’m with you on writing Stern to fix. Hope many others would be too. Unfortunately most don’t know what they’re missing I think. It’s gonna take more than one or two to get them to do anything about it at this point. We need as many as possible to write them. Nice catch on that other bug!

10 months later
#14880 61 days ago

Love this game, have a premium in my collection since 2017 release. It still amazes me that a significant software glitch affecting all games has not been addressed though. There are many modes where the call outs are so muted you can barely hear them no matter what volume level you have sound set at. It even affects at least 2 of the major planet multiball modes! Death Star P.M.B for Endor, and At At attack for Hoth. May also affect Tatooine P.M.B. mode(been a long time since seeing that one). It for sure affects Death Star Mission where Luke fights enemy fighters with rear cannon on M. Faulkin. No doubt others too. Not sure about final Mission vs Emperor, never made it that far. Such a let down to fight your way to P.M.B and not be able to hear call outs. I’m talking about the movie chatter that makes the mode exciting. Stuff like “We have to give them more time to get those shields down”, “Watch for enemy fighters”, “I got him!”, etc. Wondering if anyone else has noticed significantly muted call outs during play? Can this be fixed using the pinball editor program? Don’t think Stern is going to get to it, after all it’s already been 7 years!

#14884 61 days ago
Quoted from Crispy77:

I never noticed mine being muted. Running a custom v1.10 code. Wonder if it happened in a code update??

Yes, here’s what I said about it here in post#6844 4yrs ago:
“Has anyone reverted to previous firmware? A week ago I updated to 1.05 from 1.03. Unless it’s a coincidence I have been noticing problems with speech attenuation all of the sudden. Whats weird is it only happens on certain missions. What I have noticed is the voices during fourth mission multiballs are almost a whisper compared to other sounds/speech going on. I am referring to mission specific speech like when the emperor says: "Now witness the fire power of this fully armed and operational battle station". Also certain speech during other missions is way too low. I noticed a big difference in the death star mission where Luke yells: "I got him" as he destoys a tie fighter with the cannon. I can barely even hear it now while other speech and sound effects are loud. I tried to play with speech attenuation but it affects all speech. I wanted to revert back to 1.03 to see if things would be normal but the game does not even see any files on the USB stick that has 1.03 on it. It only acknowledge firmware that is equal to or newer than what is currently installed.”

Since that update(1.05) problem has remained with all newer versions

Quoted from TheLaw:

Never noticed mine either running stern code...I'll try to remebr to take a listen

I am surprised more people have not noticed this. At least 2 others here have though. Here is from Jerickso77 post# 7050 also about 4yrs ago:

“It's a real bummer that the planet multiballs have some of the best clips in the game but they're mixed so low you can barely hear them. Really sucks the momentum out of an epic moment.”

Quoted from bwalter:

This might be too obvious or simple, but check your settings for SPEECH ATTENUATION?

Looked into that but setting affects all speech. This problem is software related. Individual missions need re- attenuation, not all. I think someone who knows how to use pinball editor would have to go into specific missions with problem and increase the speech volume level.

#14886 61 days ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Xaqery see above and Tie Fighter Multiball bug

Could not find anything regarding above subject from Xaqery? Do you know post# or where to see?

#14888 61 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Never noticed mine either running stern code...I'll try to remebr to take a listen

I think the problem is easiest to notice on Escape from Hoth P.M.B. Speech is so low you might not know there ever was any on earlier versions. Owners who didn’t have 1.03 code(or older) have not experienced what normal was like. That my explain why a lot of people have not noticed it who have newer games. Don’t know what they’re missing. It was so sweet before! I strain to hear anything now on Hoth. You know, all of the chatter between Luke and the others attacking the imperial walkers.
If you want to get there quick choose Han Solo. Two blue missions will be lit to start. Consentrate only on dark blue inserts(arrows) until Hoth is lit. Choose remaining blue mission which will be video mode. When done shoot Hoth and choose escape from Hoth. Good luck hearing any speech from Luke or other characters in the mission. When that mission ends 2 Endor missions are lit. Complete the 3rd and start Endor multiball. You can hear speech, mostly from Calrissian. It’s way quieter than it was originally thought.

#14890 61 days ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Sorry I was tagging Dwight so he would see these posts.
Also, if someone wants to take the time to compile a list of all the muted speech (be very detailed) I will send the info weekly to Stern Bug reporting. Along with the perpetually ignored Tie Fighter Multiball bug.

Very Nice, thank you! It would be awesome if Stern fixed this and it doesn’t have to happen using P.B. editor. I think Stern could determine what happened after 1.03 that messed up mission specific speech attenuation on certain missions. I’ve been hoping it would happen for years. Can’t believe Steve Richie didn’t notice and want it fixed? I would think he has this game in his collection? And by the way, it’s such a great game! So underrated IMHO.

#14892 61 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Is it just me or is Han the best character to get further in the game?

I tend to agree. If you want to reach Hoth and Endor for sure. Just choose characters on ball 1 and watch which mission inserts are pre-lit for you.

#14894 61 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Han is easier for getting further; but R2D2 multipliers for life!!!

R2D2 has always been my favorite. I like to attack the Death Star. He spots two D.S. missions and two Endor missions. Completing both gives two chances for an attack run on the D.S. I did not notice R2 awarded multipliers easier!

#14906 59 days ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Oh wow, yeah the Stern music is not good. I'm getting Avengers music vibes and I can definitely hear the "signature Stern" orchestra music similarities between the two games. Exporting all the music tracks now to take a listen for what to replace.
Know what else I hear? That voiceover guy for Stern who does WAY too many voices in their games. They should hire someone else to break it up. This guy does the awful C-3PO impersonation, which really only sounds like an effeminate British fella. He also does the AWFUL voice of Marilyn in the Munsters...one reason I couldn't play that game any more when I had it - his Marilyn callouts sounded like a man trying to pull off a woman's voice and it grated on my ears. He certainly has a "signature Stern sound" as well.

For sure, those custom C-3PO call outs suck. Especially the one during bounty hunter where he says “We are being followed” in a wimpy voice that sounds like he’s about to cry. I would like to see that one removed.

1 month later
#14990 22 days ago
Quoted from No_Pickles:

Yes, I have noticed this too, but never made the connection with the 1.05 code. It’s very disappointing. I am on 1.10 and it’s quite noticeable during planet multiballs.

It’s so nice to hear someone else think this is worth mentioning. I wish someone who understands how to use the pinball editor could investigate the volume settings for planet multiball background speech. I just know those could be edited to increase volume. It’s all about having some knowledge about how to edit the code settings. Having experienced those planet multiball modes before Stern chose to mute the background vocals, I can tell you there’s no comparison. They really did manage to suck the excitement out of the most epic moments in the game. I am virtually certain Stern is not going to address this. It will take a pinball tech type, probably who really likes this game. PoMC maybe?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PlayPin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you?tu=PlayPin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.