SW Topper 1 (resized).jpg
Screen Bezels (resized).jpg
IMG_3171 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3170 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4042 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240411-000808 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 302.
#4401 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Check out this lovely 3d printed part off ebay in combination with a 6cm fan I had this designed together with the seller especially for this mod. A much cleaner solution to my opinion. He will ship globally.
ebay.com link

Nice! Do you have a link to the fan you used as well?

#4402 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes! More end of ball callouts / video are needed in the game and from other characters then just Yoda. Why not have one of Vader saying "Impressive, most impressive" for a good ball? The Emperor saying "Goooood" would be another. Reach a planet multiball and have ObiWan say "You've just taken your first step into a larger world". Stuff like that.
I would also like to see some end of ball clips that are of Jabba and / or Salacious Crumb laughing if you have a rather short ball, lol. Bring some of the subtle comedy from the films into the game.
I'm happy with all of the modes in the game and would just like to see more film video / audio added to the game at this point.

All great ideas... anyone else find the tattoine multiball a bit underwhelming? Video content and light show just aren’t as exciting as the others.

Attract mode clips and sounds could be lengthened/enhanced as well.

Really wanting the topper already too!

#4403 5 years ago
Quoted from francky93:

Yes in this thread i found mine

How did you get these sized properly?

I have the same ones and are either a touch too big or small.

#4404 5 years ago
Quoted from francky93:

Thank you very much, i have sent a message to the seller

What are these fans needed for? (Sorry I'm a noobster when it comes to SW)

#4405 5 years ago

Good idea on the fan standoff. I am thinking of replacing the cover with a wire mesh to allow more ventilation. There is hardly any air flow through the power supply.

#4406 5 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

The factory fan on the new SPIKE system kicks on and off intermittently to cool the power supply. When it is on, it is as loud as a jet engine. The fan can be replaced with a quieter one, but the simpler mod is to simply put in a fan just above the power supply blowing upward. This additional fan runs all the time and keeps the power supply cool enough that the internal fan never clicks on. The key is getting a REALLY quiet fan, but still enough air flow to keep the supply from running. As noted 80mm is the biggest that you can get without casting a shadow on the translite. Even with an 80mm it has to be installed as far right as possible above the factory fan in order to avoid getting a small shadow on the translite. Also, as noted above, the fan MUST BE BLOWING UPWARD so it is not working against the natural convection flow for this mod to work. If you get an adapter as shown above you will need to use a 60mm fan because the extra height will definitely cast a shadow otherwise. That adapter is definitely a great mod to this mod!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you/page/76#post-4293879

#4407 5 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

To be clear you don’t need to add the fan to protect the power supply - it’s just a nice upgrade if you don’t like the sound of the loud fan cycling.

#4408 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

To be clear you don’t need to add the fan to protect the power supply - it’s just a nice upgrade if you don’t like the sound of the loud fan cycling.

It doesn’t bother me... the original fan. But, options are always good...thus pinsiders helping eachother. Add the additional fan if the noise bothers you. As with all mods, it’s your game.

#4409 5 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

It doesn’t bother me... the original fan. But, options are always good...thus pinsiders helping eachother. Add the additional fan if the noise bothers you. As with all mods, it’s your game.

Options are great, I'm thinking of adding one myself! I just wanted to be clear for the new guy that it's not like there's an overheating flaw with the SW game, this is purely an aesthetic (if auditory aesthetics are a thing) mod.

#4410 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

How did you get these sized properly?
I have the same ones and are either a touch too big or small.

I take measures and give them to a professional to be print in high resolution and plastified (contact me by PM if you want, I have a second set similar)

#4411 5 years ago

Stern went with a modular power supply that has its own cooling fan. There are several options to cool the unit if one is so inclined. I want it to be silent and I am planning on coming up with something.

#4412 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Nice! Do you have a link to the fan you used as well?

I used Noiseblocker PR-1 and a 3pin to 2 pin adaptor cable to connect to the header inside the PSU
http://www.blacknoise.com/site/de/produkte/noiseblocker-it-luefter/nb-blacksilent-pro-series/60x60x25mm.php
https://www.amazon.de/Wentronic-Adapterkabel-3-polig-Stecker-Kupplung/dp/B003D6O53Q/

The fan was selected based on the spec of the original fan in the GERMAN PSU, a 04020VA-12P-BA.
http://www.nmbtc.com/fans/part-numbers/DC-Axial-40mm/1608VL-04W-B60-B00/6147

With different PSU versions you need to check for the spec of the original fan installed, in order to reach the same flow.

I did disconnect the internal fan to place the 3-2 adaptor on the original pin header inside the PSU and threaded the cable out through the opening of the PSU.

Before doing the mod I also did measurements of the fan coming on with the sound recorder. Attached a photo of the measurement. A cold machine starts the fan up at about 21 mins after power-up and then every 8 mins for 640seconds. When it's already warm it will begin the first cycle 4 minutes later.

After installation of the mod I recomfirmed that the new fan is working. It comes on at the same time as the original, but runs longer. When it comes on it seems to "stutter" a bit, butI think it just reacts to smaller currents beofre actually coming on. It does come on reliably and has no issues with long evenings of intense playing. No measurement there though, as it'S impossible to record.

Duty Cycles (resized).jpgDuty Cycles (resized).jpg

#4413 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

The guy will mak whatever you ask him to. Just talk to him. He'll send you a drawing within a day and you'Re good to go. I decided against 80mm fan because it throws a shadow on the translite. The 60mm is just small enough to not have that problem.

Yes, he send me the link for the 40mm to 80mm adaptor
ebay.com link: itm

#4414 5 years ago
Quoted from francky93:

Yes, he send me the link for the 40mm to 80mm adaptor
ebay.com link

The guy is really engaged. I'm sure he would print anything you want, if you can explain it to him or send a file. Anyway. Enjoy the mod and post a photo when it's done

#4415 5 years ago

Yes I will post it and thank you sharing this information

#4416 5 years ago

After lowballing my last machine, I don't want to make the same mistake selling my SWPro. Any thoughts on good asking price? No cabinet issue, shooter lane looks brand new, no ghosting inserts, machine as is has no SDTM or cheap drains from the Tatooine shot. Has the Stern art blades of Darth Vader / Bounty hunters. Also has the light saber side armor. Pretty sure I'm going to sell and get an Iron Maiden.

#4417 5 years ago

There was a nicely modded one that sold for $4800 on here. I would say that was a bit low. I tried to hop on it too late. I think the appropriate asking price is $5,000 plus or minus $100 depending on how firm a price you want to go with vs. having a little wiggle room. You could ask a bit higher but I suspect it will sit for awhile since they are readily available new and there are a few available on Pinside -- look at their prices/descriptions if you haven't already.

#4418 5 years ago

Topper sneak?

D990FDC9-CE4E-46F7-BDC0-7E8EA1F7F12A (resized).jpegD990FDC9-CE4E-46F7-BDC0-7E8EA1F7F12A (resized).jpeg

E3EDAAFE-D3B5-474A-A7A1-FF1FD651F184 (resized).jpegE3EDAAFE-D3B5-474A-A7A1-FF1FD651F184 (resized).jpeg

#4419 5 years ago

I doubt it. All three toppers have that black box on the bottom and the Batman and Aerosmith toppers are not Stern official toppers.

#4420 5 years ago

code update would be nice

#4421 5 years ago

I bet this will be a cheaper version that Stern will start offering. One that may or may not have any interactive lighting.

#4422 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I bet this will be a cheaper version that Stern will start offering. One that may or may not have any interactive lighting.

I do hope thats not the direction they would head. Personally I am betting Stern is seeing the Crazy money people are willing to spend on animated toppers which I certainly bet bring a very high margin. Averaging $500 Plus now thats a nice pop for a plastic display with lighting! Star Wars had Better be more than a profile cut out with an LED after this wait! lol

#4423 5 years ago

I am saying this will be one of 2 versions they will be selling. So I feel we are safe to keep buying those crazy $500 toppers.

#4424 5 years ago

Has anyone ever made a third party topper tied into the interactive light output on one of the newer Sterns? Would be interesting to know if that’s possible, or if it’s feeding info that’s not readily usable (as oppposed to simple power on/power off instructions).

#4425 5 years ago

Having looked, there are no 3rd party toppers for Stern Star Wars which continues to surprise me given the lack of ANY topper. Licensing shouldn’t be the issue; there's side art and plenty of other items available.

#4426 5 years ago

The R2-D2 looks like cardboard or two dimensional.

#4427 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The R2-D2 looks like cardboard or two dimensional.

Yes it does. But if it is only a $299 topper vs the $599 topper, would you buy it?

#4428 5 years ago

Yes it does. But if it is only a $299 topper vs the $599 topper, would you buy it?

Honestly, no. I spen $7600 for this great machine and would like to see something a bit more cutting edge perhaps interactive like the JJP potc ship in a bottle. Star Wars deserves a cool topper.

If we can afford 7-10k machines, we can afford 4-600 toppers if desired.

Not saying they shouldn't make a lower cost alternative available but not at the expense of making the interactive version.

#4429 5 years ago

For that, No. If it had lights, maybe $100-$150

#4430 5 years ago

Overpriced, period. For what the topper is constructed of, maybe 20 bucks or so in material, charging 500 is highway robbery. The machine itself was expensive, but that's market. You don't have to have a topper to enjoy the machine.

#4431 5 years ago

Those 3 toppers are stripped down card board stand up versions of the actual full version toppers. I fully expect for Stern to release a full 3D type R2D2 topper "shortly".

There's a lot of cool possibilities for a Star Wars R2D2 topper by Stern.

1. Rotates (this I expect)
2. Rotates and track bystanders walking by
3. Audio queues from R2 (this has to be a given)
4. Camera that takes pictures of players and displays them on screen (a stretch but would be awesome)

#4432 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Those 3 toppers are stripped down card board stand up versions of the actual full version toppers. I fully expect for Stern to release a full 3D type R2D2 topper "shortly".

An animated, 360 spinning, R2 head had lots of possibilities. If it is deeply integrated, the delays on the topper and code could potentially make a little more sense. Here's to hoping....

#4433 5 years ago
Quoted from SmallKingTut:

An animated, 360 spinning, R2 head had lots of possibilities. If it is deeply integrated, the delays on the topper and code could potentially make a little more sense. Here's to hoping....

That's what I'm hoping for. If Stern makes the R2 topper very interactive I think they will sell a ton of them even at $500. I hope they are going all out with it as it has the potential to be the greatest topper of all time.

#4434 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's what I'm hoping for. If Stern makes the R2 topper very interactive I think they will sell a ton of them even at $500. I hope they are going all out with it as it has the potential to be the greatest topper of all time.

Yeah if it does all this stuff I have no problem spending the $500 but if it is just a light up R2-D2 then I think that price point is crazy.

#4435 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

4. Camera that takes pictures of players and displays them on screen (a stretch but would be awesome)

If by "awesome" you mean "suck balls" then I agree.

#4436 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

If by "awesome" you mean "suck balls" then I agree.

Why the camera hate? Lol. That sounds like an awesome feature and one that makes sense to have on a large R2D2 topper.

#4437 5 years ago

Stern toppers have been nice looking but short on functional interaction. My expectations aren’t high on R2D2 doing a lot of cool interaction, although that’s what would sell me on it. Otherwise I’ll just create my own topper since nothing else is available.

#4438 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Why the camera hate? Lol. That sounds like an awesome feature and one that makes sense to have on a large R2D2 topper.

I dunno, the camera in Dialed In is cool for like a second and then you realize it's just taking a bunch of pics of you looking at the table

#4439 5 years ago

The outline gate on my LE is struggling, the magnet struggling to make contact and the spring not retuning it to original place.

It was working, I know there are a few posts here about the issue. But don’t want to trawl through 4000 posts! Any help would be appreciated

#4440 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I dunno, the camera in Dialed In is cool for like a second and then you realize it's just taking a bunch of pics of you looking at the table

Dialed In camera is used very well and is awesome to see pics next to high scores (which can be turned on or off). Selfie mode always has people smiling or looking goofy which is fun. I'm glad that feature is in the game.

#4441 5 years ago

I write a lengthy post on it but won't write it again :b
You can find it searching for my posts. Of you have any additional questions about it, fell free to drop me a private message.

#4442 5 years ago

Fixed the issue. Just needed a wiggle and the metal plate on the outside pushing in a bit towards the magnet.

#4443 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

The outline gate on my LE is struggling, the magnet struggling to make contact and the spring not retuning it to original place.
It was working, I know there are a few posts here about the issue. But don’t want to trawl through 4000 posts! Any help would be appreciated

That gate has a bushing similar to a flipper and it needs to have a small gap to allow free movement If there is no up and down play, the gate will rub under the playfield and won't move smoothly.

Lift the playfield, loosen the gate with an Allen wrench, pull the gate out from the playfield ever so slightly so it has a couple millimeters of play up and down and then tighten the screw. Hold the gate in place with your right hand while you tighten the screw with your left to get it lined up easily. It should move freely after that. Took me a total of two minutes.

#4444 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

That gate has a bushing similar to a flipper and it needs to have a small gap to allow free movement If there is no up and down play, the gate will rub under the playfield and won't move smoothly.
Lift the playfield, loosen the gate with an Allen wrench, pull the gate out from the playfield ever so slightly so it has a couple millimeters of play up and down and then tighten the screw. Hold the gate in place with your right hand while you tighten the screw with your left to get it lined up easily. It should move freely after that. Took me a total of two minutes.

That was the first thing I tried on mine which didn't solve the 'sticky' problem. The actuator plate need a little 'tweak' and it's been good ever since.

Rob

#4445 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Mine did that. I tried and tried to get it to work properly but it always failed.

In the end, I removed the arm and left it of. Its now a virtual save and the ball returns to the shooter lane just like it did when the arm was moving. Lose the arm and you will stop getting frustrated with it.

#4446 5 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Lose the arm and you will stop getting frustrated with it.

No offense, but that is complete nonsense. If I wasn’t so far away I would come and adjust it for you. Any way I can help remotely?

BTW can I interest you in the metal laser engraved instruction card to match the signature plate? Already have another reservation from OZ and could combine shipping.

#4447 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

No offense, but that is complete nonsense. If I wasn’t so far away I would come and adjust it for you. Any way I can help remotely?
BTW can I interest you in the metal laser engraved instruction card to match the signature plate? Already have another reservation from OZ and could combine shipping.

I tried everything to fix it and in the end it was easier to take it off. Would fix it if there was I thought I could make it work properly.

I do like the look of those metal cars but an in New Zealand, not Oz.

#4448 5 years ago
Quoted from Kobaja:

Where is this card available? Sounds cool.

#4449 5 years ago

Decided on a Star Wars premium from Trent at Tilt Amusements. Just waiting for that shipping info. Exciting!

#4450 5 years ago

Enjoy! I'm picking mine up Saturday locally from a private seller. Looking forward to it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bryn Athyn, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 302.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you/page/89?hl=frli002 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.