• Pro 83 votes
    23%
  • Premium 140 votes
    39%
  • LE 132 votes
    37%

(355 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 858 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20180721_212815.jpg
5DA6BD96-D7B5-49CF-9FD9-551256198679 (resized).jpeg
star-wars-oranges (resized).jpg
401276EA-78C6-4F5D-8322-A172F2E14030 (resized).jpeg
466338CC-C6EE-485B-AAD4-303007026B92 (resized).jpeg
20180708_132938 (resized).jpg
IMG_1922 (resized).jpg
F57AE44C-9D5A-4569-B9F2-D621EAB178CC (resized).jpeg
8DB2345B-7E0E-43C4-8253-906E07338EFE (resized).jpeg
B41AF569-21D6-4C47-92AF-72F1D2DA4419 (resized).jpeg
64825723-8ED6-4F4F-BA09-696A72A602DF (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180622_093928175 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180621_232919820 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180621_233009586 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180621_233000112 (resized).jpg
A67B77A9-6302-4F2E-97D8-E21BB96FDE42 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5381 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 108.
#4201 88 days ago

Just heard about this-
http://www.betson.com/marketing/Stern-ShakerMotorAdvisory.pdf?mc_cid=94c058ebfe&mc_eid=7a43814633

An advisory from Stern about shaker motors and slam tilt issues. I have a Pinball Life Spike 2 shaker motor and have no issues.

#4202 88 days ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Just heard about this-
http://www.betson.com/marketing/Stern-ShakerMotorAdvisory.pdf?mc_cid=94c058ebfe&mc_eid=7a43814633
An advisory from Stern about shaker motors and slam tilt issues. I have a Pinball Life Spike 2 shaker motor and have no issues.

This happened to me the first time Monday night out of nowhere. I do have the PBL Spike 2 shaker......

#4203 88 days ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

This happened to me the first time Monday night out of nowhere. I do have the PBL Spike 2 shaker......

How can I identify what manufacturer made my shaker motor?

#4204 88 days ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Just heard about this-

Thanks for posting, I have a Pinball Life shaker in mine as well, but no issues I am aware of. I will have to check on this.

#4205 88 days ago

Why did a software fix on IMDN fix the PBL shakers slamtilt? No mention in the new IMDN code release that the cap kit was necessary.

Quoted from ita47:

Thanks for posting, I have a Pinball Life shaker in mine as well, but no issues I am aware of. I will have to check on this.

#4206 87 days ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Why did a software fix on IMDN fix the PBL shakers slamtilt? No mention in the new IMDN code release that the cap kit was necessary.

Can you clarify this?

#4207 87 days ago

Just blew up the death star and kicked ass on victory multiball. I love this fast and difficult game!

20180425_114324 (resized).jpg

#4208 87 days ago

Well, there's not many days left in the month if a code update is coming in April as Sterns "Stern of the Union" April newsletter mentioned. I wonder if the delay with the topper has anything to do with it.

#4209 87 days ago

There are 6 days...plenty of time.

The amount of completion already makes me think it wouldn't be a big update anyway; but you never know.

#4210 87 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

There are 6 days...plenty of time.
The amount of completion already makes me think it wouldn't be a big update anyway; but you never know.

I emailed pinballlife today, to see what their take is on it and promptly received this reply from them:

"Hi Julian,
as long you are installing it in a SPIKE or SPIKE 2 game with the latest game code the kits are 100% good to go. SPIKE and SPIKE 2 machines do NOT use the grounding capacitor so your shaker units should not have them.
Best Regards,
Terry"

So all is well with pinballlife shakers. Anyway, I haven't experienced any issues whatsoever since I had installed it right after receiving the pin.

#4211 87 days ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Just heard about this-

So only the genuine, authorized shaker causes a slam tilt malfunction and requires a physical mod to the game? Hard to feel bad about using the aftermarket PBL shaker under those circumstances!

#4212 87 days ago
Quoted from Sprudeldudel:

I emailed pinballlife today, to see what their take is on it and promptly received this reply from them:
"Hi Julian,
as long you are installing it in a SPIKE or SPIKE 2 game with the latest game code the kits are 100% good to go. SPIKE and SPIKE 2 machines do NOT use the grounding capacitor so your shaker units should not have them.
Best Regards,
Terry"
So all is well with pinballlife shakers. Anyway, I haven't experienced any issues whatsoever since I had installed it right after receiving the pin.

That's all fine and good, but as I said earlier my PBL Shaker equipped SW Premium did experience a Slam Tilt out of nowhere two nights ago. I've talked to my distributor and they are ordering me one of the kits.

It does make me hesitate in putting in a PBL shaker into my BM66 when it comes in.....

#4213 87 days ago

The PBL shaker and the Stern one are the same. Some machines have the slam tilt issue due to power supply electric noise. Not because of which Spike 2 Shaker motor is used.

#4214 87 days ago

Any vids of SW being played in competition? By Keith, Zach, etc...so much strategy involved, I’d like to see them go at it.

#4215 87 days ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Any vids of SW being played in competition? By Keith, Zach, etc...so much strategy involved, I’d like to see them go at it.

Here's a stream of the launch tournament I played in when the game first came out. We aren't Keith or Zach, and this is running older code from the launch, but the basic strategies are still pretty close (minus stacking the mini-wizard modes). If you jump to 3:32:00 for the final 3, and jump to 4:08:00 for the final match, you will see some pretty good billion-plus games.

#4216 87 days ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Was sad it didn't get chosen at the circuit finals at all

Sounds like it was set up too brutal and everyone stayed away.

#4217 87 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Was sad it didn't get chosen at the circuit finals at all
Sounds like it was set up too brutal and everyone stayed away.

I know!!! Would've been way more entertaining to watch than BM66!

#4218 87 days ago

Will Stern squeak under the deadline of getting a code update out this month? We're down to 2-1/2 business days left in the month. I stopped following GOTG -- did it get a code update this month? It was listed in the newsletter as well I believe.

#4219 87 days ago
Quoted from F-2NIRO:

I am working on it right now to illuminate the LE side rails.
thereafter, I will be able to make a variant with laser cut lightsaber shapes in premium side rails if I am lent the game
» YouTube video

my system is just finished, you can see here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interactive-sides-rails-for-star-wars-le

#4220 86 days ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Will Stern squeak under the deadline of getting a code update out this month? We're down to 2-1/2 business days left in the month. I stopped following GOTG -- did it get a code update this month? It was listed in the newsletter as well I believe.

GOTG just got the update this afternoon..

#4221 85 days ago

Topper

#4223 85 days ago

Topper news?! Where?

#4224 85 days ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I've been beta testing and there's some squirrely bugs that Stern is working to stomp out. So far the next rev is looking good and I like the things that are being tweaked/fixed... not sure on timing but it's more important that things get completed than sent out just to beat a deadline IMHO FWIW

#4225 85 days ago
Quoted from genex:

I've been beta testing and there's some squirrely bugs that Stern is working to stomp out. So far the next rev is looking good and I like the things that are being tweaked/fixed... not sure on timing but it's more important that things get completed than sent out just to beat a deadline IMHO FWIW

Excellent news. I'm all for one solid update in a few weeks rather than a borked one today and then another patch later on. Thank you for your service!

#4226 85 days ago
Quoted from genex:

Is it just bug fixes or are there some surprises for us?

#4227 85 days ago

Why are there not a topper yet???????? Bb

#4228 85 days ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Is it just bug fixes or are there some surprises for us?

Palpatine (resized).jpg

#4229 85 days ago
Quoted from genex:

Thanks for sharing. Of course, its nice if timelines are achieved but I'd rather that it work right.

#4230 85 days ago

You know, even more than any rule fixes or something, it'd be really nice if the supposedly '1.0' code at least had rules text that matched the rules. Multiple modes still give inaccurate instructions. Hyperspace multiball still says to complete the inlanes to light the death star when the inlanes aren't even enabled in the multiball anymore. Hoth III says 'targets for stormtroopers' when targets aren't even involved in the mode. Etc etc.

Regardless of preferences about videomodes and lightsaber duel, this is sort of an obvious thing that really shouldn't have made it into 1.0, let alone 1.01 too.

#4231 85 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You know, even more than any rule fixes or something, it'd be really nice if the supposedly '1.0' code at least had rules text that matched the rules. Multiple modes still give inaccurate instructions. Hyperspace multiball still says to complete the inlanes to light the death star when the inlanes aren't even enabled in the multiball anymore. Hoth III says 'targets for stormtroopers' when targets aren't even involved in the mode. Etc etc.
Regardless of preferences about videomodes and lightsaber duel, this is sort of an obvious thing that really shouldn't have made it into 1.0, let alone 1.01 too.

"Targets for stormtroopers" never made sense to me.

Rob

#4232 85 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You know, even more than any rule fixes or something, it'd be really nice if the supposedly '1.0' code at least had rules text that matched the rules.

Talking of rules - does stern usually update the manuals to match the code changes?

#4233 85 days ago

My first major problem.

I was in a Tie Fighter multiball when I noticed that for a few split milliseconds all the lights went out and the flippers stopped responding, this happened about 3 times within 3 or 4 seconds, then the main LCD screen paused. I drained all the balls and switched off the machine with the LCD screen paused and no lights on the playfield.

10 Seconds later I switched the machine back on. No lights on the playfield but the LCD displayed "Locating Node Boards: 8, 9, 10, 11 Nodes Not Found".

I switched the machine off again and lifted the playfield to get a look at some of the connections. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, though I pushed in a cable here or there on most boards just to see if any were loose, but I don't think that was an issue; though I could have missed something. I put the PF back down and switched it on and it booted up fine no problems. Put the glass back on and played a quick game and noticed that while I had the Death Star Fork Ramp up I made a Hoth shot, hitting the back of the ramp and in that instance when the ramp was about to go down to release the ball the lights and flippers lost power for an instance, so I switched the machine off again just in case.

I switched it back on, all fine again. This time I went into the diagnostics and focused on the Fork Ramp, it worked fine. Lifted the playfield again and didn't see anything wrong with the Fork Ramp connections or the 9D board. I didn't switch it on again until the next day.

The next day I had a quick game, no problem but then on the second game I had the Death Start mode lit up so the Fork Ramp was up, and I hit Tie Fighter Multiball, I hear the Fork Ramp go down.. and all the lights go out on the playfield and the flippers are also out, this time the LCD screen continues, there was no pause. I switched the machine off. I switched it back on, and again the message "Locating Node Boards: 8, 9, 10, 11 Nodes Not Found".

I can't seem to find anything out of the ordinary under the playfield when it comes to cable connections, and at the moment the machine still can't locate those node boards. I'd appreciate any advice.

The only other issue that I have but I doubt it's relevant to this is the right flipper will get stuck in the up position once in about 100 presses, but then goes back down if a ball hits it. I don't think it's a power issue because the one time it got stuck right at the end of a session I turned off the machine and it stayed up until I flicked it down via the coin door.

#4234 85 days ago
Quoted from Hoochoo:

I switched it back on, and again the message "Locating Node Boards: 8, 9, 10, 11 Nodes Not Found".
I can't seem to find anything out of the ordinary under the playfield when it comes to cable connections, and at the moment the machine still can't locate those node boards. I'd appreciate any advice.
The only other issue that I have but I doubt it's relevant to this is the right flipper will get stuck in the up position once in about 100 presses, but then goes back down if a ball hits it. I don't think it's a power issue because the one time it got stuck right at the end of a session I turned off the machine and it stayed up until I flicked it down via the coin door.

Try reseating the cable from Node 0 to node 9A. Start by reseating the cable in CN22 on Node 0 (backbox). This is the right RJ-45 (looks like an ethernet cable) on the bottom right of the backbox board. Play some games. If that does not solve it, reseat CN5 on Node 9A. Play some games. Doing them one at a time will tell you which end of the cable has an issue. If neither of these work, you might need a new cable or a new board somewhere.

The flipper issue sounds like a bad coil stop on that flipper mech. Do you have "gold dust" on the floor of the cabinet below that flipper? Stern part number 515-6308-01

#4235 85 days ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

"Targets for stormtroopers" never made sense to me.
Rob

I think its the jedi targets, and maybe others, that shoot stormtroopers when you hit them in that mode.

#4236 85 days ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Try reseating the cable from Node 0 to node 9A. Start by reseating the cable in CN22 on Node 0 (backbox). This is the right RJ-45 (looks like an ethernet cable) on the bottom right of the backbox board. Play some games. If that does not solve it, reseat CN5 on Node 9A. Play some games. Doing them one at a time will tell you which end of the cable has an issue. If neither of these work, you might need a new cable or a new board somewhere.
The flipper issue sounds like a bad coil stop on that flipper mech. Do you have "gold dust" on the floor of the cabinet below that flipper? Stern part number 515-6308-01

Thanks for the reply, I'll give those a try the next chance I get.

Regarding the flippers, yes I do have gold dust but under the left flipper, odd, because that one is fine.

#4237 85 days ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I think its the jedi targets, and maybe others, that shoot stormtroopers when you hit them in that mode.

You don't need to shoot any targets though. Both ramps, both orbits, then hoth and you're done.

#4238 84 days ago
Quoted from Hoochoo:

Thanks for the reply, I'll give those a try the next chance I get.
Regarding the flippers, yes I do have gold dust but under the left flipper, odd, because that one is fine.

I had my right flipper stick in the up position but not completely stuck just stalled for a second or so. I cleaned all the black dust from both flippers and also replaced the plastic flipper sleeves and haven’t had that problem since.

#4239 84 days ago

Thanks Schwaggs for pointing me to the RJ45 cables, it got me looking more closely at them and it looks like I've found the problem. One of the RJ45 Cables that connects all the way up to Node 8 is damaged. It was loose, right next to the Up Post-Loop rubbing up against it. I didn't even know that up-post existed on the Premium/LE BTW . Funny that a 1 cent cable tie could have saved this mess. Oh well, still glad to have found the issue, I hope a replacement will do the trick.
Post10Cat5e (resized).jpg
On a hopefully unrelated note, I also noticed that my Node 9 board's tabs are a mess, I have no idea how they could get so crooked as nothing is obstructing them, odd.
Node9Tabs (resized).jpg

#4240 84 days ago
Quoted from Hoochoo:

Thanks Schwaggs for pointing me to the RJ45 cables, it got me looking more closely at them and it looks like I've found the problem. One of the RJ45 Cables that connects all the way up to Node 8 is damaged. It was loose, right next to the Up Post-Loop rubbing up against it. I didn't even know that up-post existed on the Premium/LE BTW . Funny that a 1 cent cable tie could have saved this mess. Oh well, still glad to have found the issue, I hope a replacement will do the trick.

Congrats on finding the damaged cable! I believe you can use standard Ethernet cables from your local electronics store if you want to get up and running quickly!

Since you have gold dust, I would get a couple of those coil stops and replace them both. Stern has been having a rash of bad stops for the last several years. It is VERY hit and miss. The aftermarket stops seem to not have this issue.

#4241 84 days ago

Good info here on the cable and the coil stops. I am going to ensure that all cables are secured and check for gold!

#4242 84 days ago

I replaced the damaged RJ45 Cat5e 10ft/3m cable and all good so far. Very pleased.

I added a few extra cable ties around the cables near the Up Post-Loop area so that this doesn't happen again.

The next time anyone lifts their playfield, have a look at that area, it might be a good idea to add a cable tie here or there just in case.

#4243 82 days ago

I picked up an LE yesterday and the seller included these toys that he bought for it but never installed. Does anyone have a link to a good way/place to install them in an LE? Thanks.

IMG_3970 (resized).JPG

#4244 82 days ago
Quoted from thearcadegeek:

I picked up an LE yesterday and the seller included these toys that he bought for it but never installed. Does anyone have a link to a good way/place to install them in an LE? Thanks.

Here’s a pic of my prem. I tried to put a tie fighter near the outlines, but the ball destroyed it with a ball strike. Zoom in. I don’t have a lot of ships, but those locations seem to be fairly safe from ball strikes.

6E670B5A-38B4-4343-9176-3E28E8E96D51 (resized).jpeg

#4245 82 days ago
Quoted from thearcadegeek:

There are some posts in this thread if you look back.

#4246 82 days ago

I added the Armada Star Destroyer, Vader's Tie Fighter and an X-Wing. The idea was to have the Empire at rear of the playfield and the Rebels at the front.

IMG_20180501_085526 (resized).jpg

#4247 82 days ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Topper news?! Where?

Yes topper news would be great anyone?

#4248 82 days ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Here’s a pic of my prem. I tried to put a tie fighter near the outlines, but the ball destroyed it with a ball strike. Zoom in. I don’t have a lot of ships, but those locations seem to be fairly safe from ball strikes.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

#4249 82 days ago

Where is our new code?

#4250 82 days ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

Where is our new code?

It's with the topper

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.99
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 76.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 68.00
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rocklin, CA
$ 7,399.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 24.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5381 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 108.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside