One of the things ive learned about this game in the 500 plays or so is that the multiplier is really quite minor compared to how big of an issue it is to haters who hate to learn the game. And what I mean is this; for most veteran players having shots multiplied typically translates to 'I must continue moving my multiplier to maximize my scoring'. But in Star Wars, there's really only certain moments that you really. want to have a shot multiplied and not risking your ball by moving it; otherwise, ignoring the multiplier will bring on better results. For example, trying to move the multiplier around for every jackpot shot in a multiball = bad. Or trying to have it hit every mode shot = bad. You want to have it in the right spot for that 'cash in' shot of a mode, multiball, or sequence.
On the flip side, here's the moments you really really want to have your shot multiplied:
- Death Star is the best place to keep your multiplier when idle on ignore. And/or the two shots to the right of it (Endor/Hoth).
- Anytime you're gonna start a video mode. TIP: HOTH-1 mission is a video mode and can be started from other shots other than the Hoth/video mode shot so make sure it's multiplied before picking this mission.
- Hyperspace hurry ups and Hyperspace multiball
- Tie Fighter Super JP
- Final shot of any planet multiball
- Any and all shots of Light Saber Duel
- Any and all shots of Escape Bubba Felt
- Certain modes can benefit from being multiplied but not every shot of the mode. there's 12 missions so hard to dig in on which are the best but a good rule of thumb is if its a hurry up mode shot, don't worry about the multiplier. And learn where the final shot of a mission ends and keep it there.
- Death Star MB: Death Star Shot
- Tatooine MB: Endor Ramp. Sometimes toggling back and forth of Endor and Hoth shots are good but this is risk vs reward.
- Endor MB: Death Star Shot
- Hoth MB: Far Left outer loop shot during mb; Hoth Shot to complete multiball.
- Any and all shots of Jedi Multiball.
I may be missing one or two but that's the jist of it in what I believe the 'critical' areas to be multiplied. Other than that, just keep the multiplier at Death Star/Endor/Hoth. The brilliant thing about the scoring logic is that modes like Light Saber Duel or Bubba Fett are easy simple modes, but maximizing the scoring of these modes is where things get interesting as you can really cash in a lot of points. i.e. Risk/Reward. Same could be said about the multi balls.
And for the advanced players: The tricky part is what do you do with the multiplier when you have stacks going like a planet mb + Hyperspace + Tie fighter. Usually its good to just keep it on Death Star but if your doing Hoth or Tatooine, you may want to move the multiplier around constantly from Death Star, to utter left orbit, to Endor, to Hoth.
Another insightful advanced tip. Tatooine-2 is a two shot hurry up - Right ramp > Death Star. You can easily stack this with a hyperspace hurry up, so make sure your multiplier is set on the Death Star to cash in the double hurry up.