(Topic ID: 139820)

Stern Star Trek now with over 35,030 Plays!

By Okarcades

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 574 posts
  • 170 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bernieberg
  • Topic is favorited by 105 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200322_132030 (resized).jpg
20200223_102116 (resized).jpg
20200223_103109 (resized).jpg
20200223_103113 (resized).jpg
20200223_103142 (resized).jpg
20200223_103106 (resized).jpg
20200223_103133 (resized).jpg
20200223_103138 (resized).jpg
20200223_103128 (resized).jpg
20200223_103131 (resized).jpg
20200223_103123 (resized).jpg
20200223_103119 (resized).jpg
20200223_102104 (resized).jpg
20200112_161156 (resized).jpg
20191109_112122 (resized).jpg
20191109_112126 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Only used novice 2 during the last tear down. I Wax regulary and change balls when they start to get nicks in them. Maybe every few thousand plays. Waxing is the most important part for long play field life in my opinion.

What do you clean the playfield with before you wax it though?

#199 7 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I just clean it with novus 1 to get all the black nasty off. Then I just was with turtle wax. Some times I just wax it if it's not that dirty and the residue gets absorbed into the yellow sponge. Then I wipe it off with a micro fiber cloth.
Pay range only brings me about $1.50 a week from a total of 4 games. As of right now I'm not really a big fan but it could pick up later in the future! Gotta have every opportunity to get that $$$.

Thanks for the info. I generally spray a little Novus 1 on a rag and wipe the playfield down also and Novus 2 if there is any ball trails that need a deeper cleaning, just wondered what you did also.

3 weeks later
#203 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

I'll have to check mine but I think I have more than 15k plays on mine and the playfield looks amazing. Bought it pre-routed before going to my pinbar many years ago so it's been well used.
STILL have the original balls in it. They are fine.

You definitely should put new balls in there for sure. Change them once a year, it's very cheap to do that and not worth the risk of ruining your machine not to.

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from Bruce:

Looking forward to seeing more pics! So good to hear how the playfield is holding up. Just means my HUO currently with approx 1000 plays will last forever

You got a long way to go before you will have to worry about anything.....you probably will never have to worry. Star Trek is a great game and it's a keeper for sure!

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

If the balls are very pitted, or have any signs of rust I replace - but I operate 40 pinballs on route and the playfields on my games still shine like new. I'm in the minority but I think replacing pinballs is totally not necessary unless they are badly pitted, signs of rust.
Just tumble them. Good as new.

That may be very true, but for a $1.00-$1.50 for new pinballs once a year why would you even risk it? I mean that's like an average of 4-6 dollars per machine.

4 months later
#268 6 years ago
Quoted from redman822:

Pretty impressive how it has held up so well and how quickly it paid itself off...

I just wonder if these new games playfields will last as long as the old games. I would think that they should because they have clear coat on them and if I'm not mistaken, the old EM games had no clear coat right? I've seen EM's with 50-60k plays on them and they still look good.

2 months later
#297 6 years ago

How many times have you had to rebuild the flippers?

#303 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I think I've changed the Plungers twice and the plastic shafts 3 times. Coil Stops once and the little allen bolts once. EOS Switches are original.

Wow that's pretty impressive for sure.....and people say sterns are bad quality machines lol. One thing for sure, you won't find any of the Stern haters in this thread.

1 week later
#317 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Finally got the shooter lane cliffy moved lol!
Almost 23,000 plays! The underside is getting ready dirty and a few screws have come loose so I had to tighten them. The 2 playfield spot lights also went out so I had to replace those.
I added a few pictures of the playfield. The dimples seem to be smoothing out but you can be the judge of that
I added a picture of how dirty it got in 2 weeks. Regular wax and maintenance is key to earnings in my opinion.

Game still looks great, thanks for the continued updates! Those dimples should be smooth as glass in another 22 thousand plays!

4 weeks later
#333 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I love this thread!

Me too, it’s one of the best threads on Pinside.

4 months later
#368 5 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

27,116 plays now. Holy cow its getting up there!
This thing has taken a serious pounding and totally handled it awesome!
The only thing going wrong this week was the flasher mount broke under the vengeance ship. I always carry spares so it was a quick, easy and cheap fix. Back up and running!

Very encouraging for recent Stern purchasers! How does the game feel when you play it? Does it still feel like it did when you first got it or does it feel like its old and sloppy? Thanks for keeping us updated on this game. This is one of my most favorite threads on Pinside.

#369 5 years ago

How often do you rebuild the flippers?

#372 5 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

It feels old and sloppy! At least to me it does. But I don't think anyone else feels the same. Once I rebuild the flippers again it will play like new!

I think I'm on my 3rd rebuild so far and it will need it done again soon.

So if a person rebuilt their flippers in a home environment, they should go 5 thousand games maybe and still be pretty strong?

#374 5 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Easily. I rebuild mine every 10,000 plays or usually right around there. Home use only flippers will hardly ever need to be rebuilt.

Thank you for the info. I was curious about that. I have 2 games with nearly 2k plays on them and the flippers still feel strong as ever.

#376 5 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

I think 500,000 flipper cycles is the generally accepted rebuild point.

Sweet, i will keep that in mind also. Thanks!

#379 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Hard part is keeping count every time you press the flippers dude

Im like Rain Man dude, i can keep track of all those numbers in my head!

6 months later
#458 5 years ago

The game still looks really good. I love this thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-with-4938-plays-pics?tu=who-dey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.