(Topic ID: 139820)

Stern Star Trek now with over 35,030 Plays!

By Okarcades

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 574 posts
  • 170 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bernieberg
  • Topic is favorited by 105 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200322_132030 (resized).jpg
20200223_102116 (resized).jpg
20200223_103109 (resized).jpg
20200223_103113 (resized).jpg
20200223_103142 (resized).jpg
20200223_103106 (resized).jpg
20200223_103133 (resized).jpg
20200223_103138 (resized).jpg
20200223_103128 (resized).jpg
20200223_103131 (resized).jpg
20200223_103123 (resized).jpg
20200223_103119 (resized).jpg
20200223_102104 (resized).jpg
20200112_161156 (resized).jpg
20191109_112122 (resized).jpg
20191109_112126 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Up to 15880 now! Only problem this week was a broken wire on red switch #5 quick and easy fix. It was also really dirty. Very little time taken this week to get it up and running in perfect playing condition again!
Outhole and shooter Lane looking good!

Your shooter lane cliffys aren't really doing anything. They should line up with the edge of the ball channel on each side. Because they aren't you have wear on both sides starting. The right side metal guide won't move if you use the clamp and install the screws back in the order mentioned in the instructions. Clamping is a necessary part of the install process to make it stay put.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Love this thread... Please keep us updated!!
Question though, assuming .25 a play you're just reaching the break even point. How do you feel about your overall investment? (From the looks of it, it was a pretty solid one)

He was doing $1 play or $2 for $3 in the beginning. Dunno what he's doing now, but he has a 50/50 location split, too.

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I put 2 sided tape on the top and bottom on that protector. Seems to work quite well.

If you use the clamp and follow the instructions, you don't need anything more than it comes with.

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from Bruce:

I removed the RHS cliffy from my shooter Lane, I felt that when the ball popped out of the trough it would bounce around like crazy. So now just have my left hand shooter cliffy as that's the side that gets battered the most, no more crazy bouncing around.
I have cliffy's everywhere else on my machine. Awesome product!

Lowering the coil power helps with that (and helps the machine last longer).

3 months later
#262 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I just wonder what it's worth now? Doesn't matter to me I guess because I'll be keeping it for quite a while and I'll be maintaining it the whole time.
What's a trek trek with 20,000 plays worth if it's in decent condition?

Probably around $4k. Maybe $4250. The plays don't really matter, it's the general condition that's the sales point.

You really should fix your shifted shooter lane cliffys so those ball grooves don't get much worse. If you follow the instructions EXACTLY and use clamps (not optional!) when re-installing, they won't move.

#265 6 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

A Spiderman with 100,000 plays on it(took 7 years) went for $3500 at auction. It use to belong to Disney World and was set to free play.
I have played this game in person and can tell you it still plays great.

Condition definitely matters more than plays.

But vintage Spiderman is like a current Premium Stern. We're talking about a Pro ST.

2 weeks later
#274 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Finally broke 20,000 plays!!!
We are sitting at 20,675 Plays and still going strong. The only thing wrong is a little bit of wear by the drop target. Other than that all we needed to do this week was to wax it up! I'm so happy with this game!
Now I'm going for 100k plays! Next mile stone will be 50k plays
Stay tuned

Fix the cliffy on the right side of that shooter lane and it won't move again and will protect the trough. You MUST use a clamp when fixing it while you adjust and re-screw it in or it will move again.

#277 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Nah, he's too busy making profit. At best; he'll wipe those rubbers off if he didn't do it after the pictures.
The wear in front of the drop is concerning... Part of me wants to get another cliffy and put it on the front of the drop to protect my LE.
Honestly; the only thing I hate about Star Trek is these damn GI LEDs... Why can't someone make a REAL led replacement with real #555 connector loops so the damn things won't wiggle out of their sockets. I'm always having flickering bulbs in the back in the inlanes and in the front in the flipper return lanes. It's the single biggest flaw with "replacement" LEDs. I swear if Comet, Niffy, or Cointaker could force a market change... they'd earn my business for life.

The electrical tape trick is perfect. Once you do it, they never come out again, and you can't see it when it's in the socket.

#279 6 years ago
Quoted from moTiv8:

Do you have a link with pictures how you installed the Tape?

I just took a couple pics of the process.

You basically bend the legs out on the bulb, precut a piece of electrical tape so it can cover both sides of the bulb base, then cut that to make it slightly less than 1/2 height. Then take that piece of electrical tape and fold it over both sides of the base from left to right (or right to left) with the sticky side towards the bulb (so the outside is smooth) and finish by bending the legs back down over the tape. Makes the base more thick and "grabby". Works great on 555-style LED bulbs and especially wedge flashers in spotlights.

bulb_electrical_tape_sml (resized).jpgbulb_electrical_tape_sml (resized).jpg

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I'll have to try that, I have a couple bulbs on my ST that are always wiggling loose. Thanks Vic.

WoZ spotlight kit lights and Metallica Premium spotlights were the bane of my existence until I tried this. None I've done have fallen out for well over a year on location with pretty heavy use. It should solve your issue, too. Good luck.

#283 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

is there no cliffy for the drop target?

There is, but it's for the back side and it looks like he already has it installed on this pin. I'm not sure if there's room for two (one front, one back) and still have the target work right.

Here's a pic from Cliffy's website:

BillD-Drop01 (resized).jpgBillD-Drop01 (resized).jpg

#288 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And I'm going to give this a try when I get the chance. Right now I don't have lightning flashes on my AC/DC because the bulbs pop out in two games.

Once you try it, you will be converted. It's a great solution that actually solves the problem LED bulb manufacturers of the 555-alikes can't seem to.

#289 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I'll fix this next time I'm up there, you seem very excited for me to do that!

Yes! I'm watching the wear happen while the solution is millimeters to the side. It's like a pinball snuff film!

#292 6 years ago
Quoted from Bruce:

DO you have non standard gi leds throughout your game? I bought some other clouded white leds and tried them but they were SO much dimmer... I see yours are clouded. Are they dimmer and do you prefer the look?
Has anyone else switched out the GI leds?

The LED in the pictures was one I grabbed that was handy. It's a crappy LED I do not recommend. For GI I pretty much only use the Optimus Max comet pinball ones. For inserts, I'm partial to leaving the incandescents in and just using LED where I need a little more brightness.

The pictures are basically just to give you an idea of how to do it on ANY wedge-type LED bulb or flasher. Works equally well on all I have tried.

1 month later
#309 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

-The wood is still wearing slowly by the drop target.

You can clean the area with some rubbing alcohol to remove residual wax then use some auto clear touchup to seal the area again.

1 week later
#318 6 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Finally got the shooter lane cliffy moved lol!

Yay! If you used a clamp before re-tightening, it won't move again.

8 months later
#428 5 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

Where do u get those "sweet little wireforms" so the the Led's dont fall outta the spot lights?????

Electrical tape around the base of the bulb fixes the problem for a fraction of a penny each bulb and the install is cleaner. They'll never come out again by themselves once this is done:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-led-bulbs-flashers-that-fall-out-of-spotlights#post-4402506

1 month later
#445 5 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Nope just 50 cents. It's not as desirable as the others.

Do you have the carpet-munching minigame ROM in it? That's good for a laugh, but they took it out before the last ROM.

#447 5 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Im not sure. I bought it and out it on Route same day. I haven't had any time to play it!

You need the version with the carpet munching minigame to find out if cartman "is a lesbian." <- he says something like that.

11 months later
#516 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Do the ball trails / dirt come off when you wipe the haze I guess?

I use P21S for the wax (which takes up the ball trail dirt), then take it off with a shop cloth, then buff it out with a wool pad on a cordless drill. Makes the playfield SHINE with not a lot of work.

The drill attachment and washable wool pad can be had cheap at harbor freight:
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-mini-polishing-and-buffing-kit-with-14-in-shank-4-pc-69335.html

7 months later
#546 4 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

$3200. Needed a bit of work. Seemed like a low price but I thinks it's pretty fair for both sides

That was an EXTREMELY good deal. The buyer made out.

#548 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

With 36000 plays and the Op stating it needed work
I agree with him when he said it was a fair deal

Meh. Don't get too hung up on the play count. The amount of documented work needed was mostly minor. I'd buy star trek pros at $3200 all day long in this condition. Could have easily got $3700-$3900. $3200 is an extremely good deal for the machine documented here.

#553 4 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Thanks!
It did need a warp ramp replacement. I had the ramp. But it was cracked but never effected game play.
The back light wasn't working and I replaces starter, bulb and ballast. Not sure what that was.
Flippers were worn out
A bit of playfield wear at drop target.
All. In all I figured it needed $200-300 in work and 5-8 in work to get it to the $4,000 mark. Maybe I'm too fair Haha!

You're extraordinarily generous with your sale pricing. In this case, if I bought it for home use, I wouldn't have even replaced a cracked ramp that didn't affect play. Lots of people have cracked ramps at the entrances on their games RIGHT NOW and don't even know it.

Backlight is the biggest pain. Sometimes those are hard to nail down.

Basically I'd hand you $3200, rebuild the three flippers, clean the machine, mylar by the target and start playing it. Eventually the backlight would bug me enough that I'd fix it. $150+time max for all of it. $3350 is a killer deal for a Star Trek Pro that plays great.

Anyway, everyone that lives near you are lucky ducks when it's time to sell your next pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-with-4938-plays-pics?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.