(Topic ID: 139820)

Stern Star Trek now with over 30,480 Plays!

By Okarcades

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 516 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 days ago by vireland
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 358 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190526_145449 (resized).jpg
20190526_145506 (resized).jpg
20190526_145443 (resized).jpg
20190317_141624 (resized).jpg
20190317_141619 (resized).jpg
20190317_142124 (resized).jpg
20190317_142108 (resized).jpg
20190317_141712 (resized).jpg
20190317_141700 (resized).jpg
20190317_141647 (resized).jpg
20190317_141642 (resized).jpg
20190317_141639 (resized).jpg
20190317_141628 (resized).jpg
20190317_141634 (resized).jpg
8C00103E-4E9E-406E-B204-D411F15DDA96 (resized).jpeg
EC0FD02A-C897-4389-9BEF-AFEE80673FA1 (resized).jpeg

There are 516 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 11.
#251 2 years ago

I have a GOT on location about the same amount of time. I've replaced a node board and the clear coat started coming up from the drain area. Other then that it's been holding up. I started buying cliffy drain protectors for all my games after that. People complain about sterns, but they seem to hold up pretty well when they are abused on a daily basis.

#252 2 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

I have a GOT on location about the same amount of time. I've replaced a node board and the clear coat started coming up from the drain area. Other then that it's been holding up. I started buying cliffy drain protectors for all my games after that. People complain about sterns, but they seem to hold up pretty well when they are abused on a daily basis.

Any pics of your GOT(playfield) with that many plays to share? Would be great to see some.

#253 2 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

This game has now officially paid for it self and everything is now just free money $$$$ not free but it doesn't owe me a damn thing!

Must feel good to have a "free" ST at this point!

#254 2 years ago

Not bad, seems like ST can take a lickin' and keep on kickin'!

If be interested to see some of the play audits if you ever want to post them.

#255 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Any pics of your GOT(playfield) with that many plays to share? Would be great to see some.

yeah, sure I can grab some next time I'm up there. I wish they stayed with their sam system, I have yet to try to repair one of these spike boards. Luckily the one I had to replace was under warranty. hopefully, it stays solid for years to come.

I think I know the answer, but don't play amounts get erased as well when you update the machine? I know total earnings do. I've updated the code on my GOT like 5 times since I bought it.

#256 2 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

yeah, sure I can grab some next time I'm up there. I wish they stayed with their sam system, I have yet to try to repair one of these spike boards. Luckily the one I had to replace was under warranty. hopefully, it stays solid for years to come.
I think I know the answer, but don't play amounts get erased as well when you update the machine? I know total earnings do. I've updated the code on my GOT like 5 times since I bought it.

Yes, they restart when you do an update. Not sure why they can't keep them on there.

#257 2 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

don't play amounts get erased as well when you update the machine? I know total earnings do. I've updated the code on my GOT like 5 times since I bought it.

My total earnings on GoT Pro stay even when I did updates...?

#258 2 years ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

Must feel good to have a "free" ST at this point!

I just wonder what it's worth now? Doesn't matter to me I guess because I'll be keeping it for quite a while and I'll be maintaining it the whole time.

What's a trek trek with 20,000 plays worth if it's in decent condition?

#259 2 years ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

My total earnings on GoT Pro stay even when I did updates...?

really, maybe... I could of sworn all that stuff got erased though. I'd have to got check it, I am 100% it definitely reset on my WOZ.

#260 2 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I just wonder what it's worth now? Doesn't matter to me I guess because I'll be keeping it for quite a while and I'll be maintaining it the whole time.

3500-4k id still pay for it depending on cab condition

#261 2 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I just wonder what it's worth now?

$3500-4000 at auction. The same as a Star Trek with 40,000 plays if it's in decent condition.

Seriously though, congratulations on keeping it so mint going into ROI.

At this point your earnings FAR exceed depreciation. So let it earn if it's still earning strong. My IMVE is passing through 32k plays this month. It's STILL the #1 earner in a bank of 10 pins. I wouldn't consider selling it.

#262 2 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Probably around $4k. Maybe $4250. The plays don't really matter, it's the general condition that's the sales point.

You really should fix your shifted shooter lane cliffys so those ball grooves don't get much worse. If you follow the instructions EXACTLY and use clamps (not optional!) when re-installing, they won't move.

#263 2 years ago

Annnnd they say stern maks shitty pins. Love stern pins

#264 2 years ago

A Spiderman with 100,000 plays on it(took 7 years) went for $3500 at auction. It use to belong to Disney World and was set to free play.
I have played this game in person and can tell you it still plays great.

#265 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

A Spiderman with 100,000 plays on it(took 7 years) went for $3500 at auction. It use to belong to Disney World and was set to free play.
I have played this game in person and can tell you it still plays great.

Condition definitely matters more than plays.

But vintage Spiderman is like a current Premium Stern. We're talking about a Pro ST.

#266 2 years ago

Only 556 tilts in almost 20,000 games. You can tell I haven't been playing that machine.

#267 2 years ago

Pretty impressive how it has held up so well and how quickly it paid itself off...

#268 2 years ago
Quoted from redman822:

Pretty impressive how it has held up so well and how quickly it paid itself off...

I just wonder if these new games playfields will last as long as the old games. I would think that they should because they have clear coat on them and if I'm not mistaken, the old EM games had no clear coat right? I've seen EM's with 50-60k plays on them and they still look good.

#269 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I just wonder if these new games playfields will last as long as the old games. I would think that they should because they have clear coat on them and if I'm not mistaken, the old EM games had no clear coat right? I've seen EM's with 50-60k plays on them and they still look good.

Keep in mind that most EMs don't have nearly the ball action and speed a modern game does.

Wear is exponentially increased on modern games with shots that get a lot of action and have minimal area to absorb the impact. The pics of the drop target area on this game tell the story.

That being said the OP's game is holding up extremely well.

#270 2 years ago

OP you mentioned you had a walking dead on location? As I'm about to put one out myself, I must ask how it held up?

#271 2 years ago
Quoted from doublestack:

OP you mentioned you had a walking dead on location? As I'm about to put one out myself, I must ask how it held up?

It held up good until about 6000 plays. Then I sold it. I hated that game and it didn't earn very well

#272 2 years ago

Interesting, thanks for the info! Definitely seems to be a polarizing game. I dig it so far, hopefully so will the public.

2 weeks later
#273 2 years ago

Finally broke 20,000 plays!!!

We are sitting at 20,675 Plays and still going strong. The only thing wrong is a little bit of wear by the drop target. Other than that all we needed to do this week was to wax it up! I'm so happy with this game!

Now I'm going for 100k plays! Next mile stone will be 50k plays

Stay tuned

20170903_122653 (resized).jpg

20170903_122637 (resized).jpg

20170903_122749 (resized).jpg

20170903_122807 (resized).jpg

20170903_122811 (resized).jpg

20170903_122816 (resized).jpg

20170903_122827 (resized).jpg

20170903_122831 (resized).jpg

20170903_122837 (resized).jpg

#274 2 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

We are sitting at 20,675 Plays and still going strong. The only thing wrong is a little bit of wear by the drop target. Other than that all we needed to do this week was to wax it up! I'm so happy with this game!
Now I'm going for 100k plays! Next mile stone will be 50k plays
Stay tuned

Fix the cliffy on the right side of that shooter lane and it won't move again and will protect the trough. You MUST use a clamp when fixing it while you adjust and re-screw it in or it will move again.

#275 2 years ago

Looks ready for a shop job!

#276 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Nah, he's too busy making profit. At best; he'll wipe those rubbers off if he didn't do it after the pictures.
The wear in front of the drop is concerning... Part of me wants to get another cliffy and put it on the front of the drop to protect my LE.

Honestly; the only thing I hate about Star Trek is these damn GI LEDs... Why can't someone make a REAL led replacement with real #555 connector loops so the damn things won't wiggle out of their sockets. I'm always having flickering bulbs in the back in the inlanes and in the front in the flipper return lanes. It's the single biggest flaw with "replacement" LEDs. I swear if Comet, Niffy, or Cointaker could force a market change... they'd earn my business for life.

#277 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Nah, he's too busy making profit. At best; he'll wipe those rubbers off if he didn't do it after the pictures.
The wear in front of the drop is concerning... Part of me wants to get another cliffy and put it on the front of the drop to protect my LE.
Honestly; the only thing I hate about Star Trek is these damn GI LEDs... Why can't someone make a REAL led replacement with real #555 connector loops so the damn things won't wiggle out of their sockets. I'm always having flickering bulbs in the back in the inlanes and in the front in the flipper return lanes. It's the single biggest flaw with "replacement" LEDs. I swear if Comet, Niffy, or Cointaker could force a market change... they'd earn my business for life.

The electrical tape trick is perfect. Once you do it, they never come out again, and you can't see it when it's in the socket.

#278 2 years ago

Do you have a link with pictures how you installed the Tape?

#279 2 years ago
Quoted from moTiv8:

Do you have a link with pictures how you installed the Tape?

I just took a couple pics of the process.

You basically bend the legs out on the bulb, precut a piece of electrical tape so it can cover both sides of the bulb base, then cut that to make it slightly less than 1/2 height. Then take that piece of electrical tape and fold it over both sides of the base from left to right (or right to left) with the sticky side towards the bulb (so the outside is smooth) and finish by bending the legs back down over the tape. Makes the base more thick and "grabby". Works great on 555-style LED bulbs and especially wedge flashers in spotlights.

bulb_electrical_tape_sml (resized).jpg

#280 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

You basically bend the legs out on the bulb, precut a piece of electrical tape so it can cover both sides of the bulb base, then cut that to make it slightly less than 1/2 height. Then take that piece of electrical tape and fold it over both sides of the base and finish by bending the legs back down over the tape. Makes the base more thick and "grabby". Works great on 555-style LED bulbs and especially wedge flashers in spotlights.

I'll have to try that, I have a couple bulbs on my ST that are always wiggling loose. Thanks Vic.

#281 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I'll have to try that, I have a couple bulbs on my ST that are always wiggling loose. Thanks Vic.

WoZ spotlight kit lights and Metallica Premium spotlights were the bane of my existence until I tried this. None I've done have fallen out for well over a year on location with pretty heavy use. It should solve your issue, too. Good luck.

#282 2 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

We are sitting at 20,675 Plays and still going strong. The only thing wrong is a little bit of wear by the drop target.

is there no cliffy for the drop target?

#283 2 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

is there no cliffy for the drop target?

There is, but it's for the back side and it looks like he already has it installed on this pin. I'm not sure if there's room for two (one front, one back) and still have the target work right.

Here's a pic from Cliffy's website:

BillD-Drop01 (resized).jpg

#284 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Makes the base more thick and "grabby". Works great on 555-style LED bulbs and especially wedge flashers in spotlights.

And I'm going to give this a try when I get the chance. Right now I don't have lightning flashes on my AC/DC because the bulbs pop out in two games.

#285 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Quoted from gunstarhero:

Not sure if you guys read the rest of the thread but I just shopped it a few months back.

Not a Single led has fallen out since the last time I shopped mine. I added a dab of hot glue to every led before reinstalling them.

Last time I shopped the game I addressed every problem so it would play 100% for another 12,000 plays and it's almost done it. I'm guessing it will make it to 24k plays before it needs to get pulled out and redone

#286 2 years ago

And as far as the drop target wear goes I'm going to touch it up and put a dab of clear over it next time it's in the shop but I'm not going to try to do paint repair on location.

#287 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Fix the cliffy on the right side of that shooter lane and it won't move again and will protect the trough. You MUST use a clamp when fixing it while you adjust and re-screw it in or it will move again.

I'll fix this next time I'm up there, you seem very excited for me to do that!

#288 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And I'm going to give this a try when I get the chance. Right now I don't have lightning flashes on my AC/DC because the bulbs pop out in two games.

Once you try it, you will be converted. It's a great solution that actually solves the problem LED bulb manufacturers of the 555-alikes can't seem to.

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I'll fix this next time I'm up there, you seem very excited for me to do that!

Yes! I'm watching the wear happen while the solution is millimeters to the side. It's like a pinball snuff film!

#290 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

You basically bend the legs out on the bulb, precut a piece of electrical tape so it can cover both sides of the bulb base, then cut that to make it slightly less than 1/2 height. Then take that piece of electrical tape and fold it over both sides of the base from left to right (or right to left) with the sticky side towards the bulb (so the outside is smooth) and finish by bending the legs back down over the tape. Makes the base more thick and "grabby". Works great on 555-style LED bulbs and especially wedge flashers in spotlights.

DO you have non standard gi leds throughout your game? I bought some other clouded white leds and tried them but they were SO much dimmer... I see yours are clouded. Are they dimmer and do you prefer the look?

Has anyone else switched out the GI leds?

#291 2 years ago
Quoted from Bruce:

I see yours are clouded. Are they dimmer and do you prefer the look?

My gut tells me he was simply sharing the process... not necessarily implying that specific LED should be used in THIS game.

#292 2 years ago
Quoted from Bruce:

DO you have non standard gi leds throughout your game? I bought some other clouded white leds and tried them but they were SO much dimmer... I see yours are clouded. Are they dimmer and do you prefer the look?
Has anyone else switched out the GI leds?

The LED in the pictures was one I grabbed that was handy. It's a crappy LED I do not recommend. For GI I pretty much only use the Optimus Max comet pinball ones. For inserts, I'm partial to leaving the incandescents in and just using LED where I need a little more brightness.

The pictures are basically just to give you an idea of how to do it on ANY wedge-type LED bulb or flasher. Works equally well on all I have tried.

#293 2 years ago

OP thanks for the updates!

1 month later
#294 1 year ago

21, 745 plays. Nothing wrong with it all all since last time. Gave it a quick wax and a few test plays and collected. Loving it.

20171008_114942 (resized).jpg

20171008_115001 (resized).jpg

20171008_124027 (resized).jpg

20171008_124046 (resized).jpg

#295 1 year ago

Thanks for the update.

3 weeks later
#296 1 year ago

We finally replaced the Allen bolts that were almost worn through. The game now has 22,558 Plays!

-There is a plastic broken by the flipper.

-The warp ramp keeps bending up so I need to loosen the ramp and bend it back down every month but no big deal.

-The wood is still wearing slowly by the drop target.

-Someone scratched my glass

-The left in lane is getting worn since the cliffy got beat up and fell off. ( not sure what to do there yet)

Other than that, everything still plays great and earns great! I'll be buying a NIB Metallica next week and I'll document that as well.

I added a bunch of audits below. Check out the pics!

20171029_123934 (resized).jpg

20171029_123917 (resized).jpg

20171029_123913 (resized).jpg

20171029_123904 (resized).jpg

20171029_123856 (resized).jpg

20171029_123848 (resized).jpg

20171029_123832 (resized).jpg

20171029_123811 (resized).jpg

20171029_123734 (resized).jpg

20171029_123727 (resized).jpg

20171029_123714 (resized).jpg

20171029_123708 (resized).jpg

20171029_123653 (resized).jpg

20171029_123649 (resized).jpg

20171029_123633 (resized).jpg

20171029_123621 (resized).jpg

20171029_115627 (resized).jpg

20171029_115650 (resized).jpg

#297 1 year ago

How many times have you had to rebuild the flippers?

#298 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

How many times have you had to rebuild the flippers?

I think I've changed the Plungers twice and the plastic shafts 3 times. Coil Stops once and the little allen bolts once. EOS Switches are original.

#299 1 year ago

Hey, how’s it going. MET would be sweet, are you putting it at Bonus? Also, I was in Mitchell and saw your wife and went to dr luckys but there were no pins there? Do you not have anything in Mitchell anymore?

#300 1 year ago

I don't have any games on location in Mitchell any more. I moved them all up to Sioux Falls. Metallica is going straight to the Bonus Round!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 516 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside