Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mbelofsky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Stern Star Trek Game Features By Model.pdf (PDF preview)

#1 4 years ago

Was anyone at the Ohio Show last month who can confirm which flavor of Star Trek was in the Stern bank? Really enjoyed the game play and found myself going back to it.

That being said, which flavor (Pro, Premium, LE) are folks finding to be the best bang for the buck? Is this like my AC/DC where the Premium features seemed (at least to me) far superior to the Pro?

I realize this is open ended, but I'm curious how much more one can expect to pay for one version over the other, and whether owners felt that price was worth the extra features (and what are they)?

#2 4 years ago

bang for the buck is definitely pro, not enough gameplay differences.

if you like the blings that's another story, go premium or le.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

bang for the buck is definitely pro, not enough gameplay differences.
if you like the blings that's another story, go premium or le.

Light show for LE/Prem is awesome but I have to agree. If I were to buy one it would be a pro unless the Prmium kept dropping in price. Pro plays a bit faster with all plastic ramps and I don't mind the ball pop out in the corner I like the challenge.

#4 4 years ago

beatmaster, you posed a very good question. For me it's about gameplay. Although the ugly playfield face did lead me to the Premium vs. Pro for AC/DC, it was definitely far more about game play differences.

I noticed visually plastic ramps vs. habitrails. Are there any other play differences? Again, I can't remember which version I played in Akron! Had a blast, but wondering (if it was Pro), what I was missing.

#5 4 years ago

LE is the max version, with side lasers and head backlit Starfleet insignias and other goodies. Worth the extra scratch? To me yes. But I'm a gotta have the best kinda dude.

#6 4 years ago

I owned a Premium and loved it. However, I played a Pro a few weeks ago and realized that the two played SUPER similar. You can't go wrong with the Pro for the value.

#7 4 years ago

The most you can afford. The lightshow on LE is awesome.

#8 4 years ago

Best bang for buck is definitely pro. Gameplay is pretty much identical so it's all down to cosmetics. Add a shaker, a few mods, and Aurich's art package to the pro and it will be a premium-ish for a lot less. A premium is pretty easy to spot with the gloss paint job and full color changers.

#9 4 years ago

The "laser show" on the LE/Premium is an embarrassing & pathetic dog shit feature.

Honestly it's so F'n bad I'd go Pro or not at all.

I really dig the clear ramps on the pro too. The LE apron lights IMO are a bit lame & I'm scared to ask if the baked potato flashers work yet lol

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

The "laser show" on the LE/Premium is an embarrassing & pathetic dog shit feature.
I really dig the clear ramps on the pro too. The LE apron lights IMO are a bit lame & I'm scared to ask if the baked potato flashers work yet lol

I forgot about the laser pointers.

Yeah, they were sort of meh. But friends who played it and managed to get them on thought they were the coolest thing, ha.

#11 4 years ago

After owning the pro for a year I tried a premium at MGC and felt right at home. I noticed the laser and apron lights the first time but started having a good game and completely forgot it was a premium. They play that much alike. The kickout from the left hole is nicer I guess, but not a big deal if you have your pro tweaked a little bit (if needed) so it doesn't shoot the ball into the sling.

I own a SST pro and ACDC premium and feel I made the right call on both.

#12 4 years ago

I like the lasers....especially when a guest is playing...it always gets a "whoa, that's cool" from them....

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

You should play on an updated Premium/LE Version.
Then post again.

#14 4 years ago

I went with a ST Pro (NIB). It's my first pin. I absolutely love it. I added a shaker, Aurich's alt. translite, added the Enterprise & Klingon Ship, some Mezel mods (spring cover, vengeance explosion, and diffuser), some protective plastics from Pinbits and Cliffy, Comet's DMD glare guard, external volume control, super bands, etc. and still saved a significant amount of money verse what a premium would've cost. I now have more money to put towards my next pin too.
I'd say, if you work hard for your money, get the Pro, you won't regret it. If money is falling out of your pockets, go for a Premium. You really can't go wrong either way!

#15 4 years ago

If you happen to love either of the most recent movies and are a Star Trek fan in general, I'd spend the extra cash and get yourself an LE or Premium.

If you're not a Star Trek fan and love the pin, get a Pro and upgrade it as you see fit (as others pointed out, get the shaker motor first).

I've had it about 6 months now and cannot get sick of it .

#16 4 years ago

You can get away with the pro on this one but if you got the extra coin the LE is a must.

#17 4 years ago

Hawkmoon,says,i got a vengeance,other than a le cause all those fun lights are nice,but useless,AND, ,your gonna have to replace them sometime!

#18 4 years ago

Played both in the past few weeks - I was shocked at how much more fun the Premium/LE was... Can bells and whistles really make such a difference? the answer is (pathetically): yes.

#19 4 years ago

By far the best feature of STLE/premium is the color changing inserts. Hard for me now to consider any new games without them.

I understand the pro is a better value, but if you can afford the premium/LE those are the better pins.

#20 4 years ago

ST will be my first NIB game received and although I certainly don't "have money falling out of my pockets", it was a clear decision for me. I have a Premium on the way.

Besides the various enhanced gameplay features, better hardware, and extra toys, I REALLY like the RGB lighting effects and the cabinet/red rails of the Premium (even better than the LE's blue cabinet package). I'm adding Aurich's translite/decals, speaker lights/acrylics, a shaker, PR's pinblades/lighting, Polk Audio subwoofer, and various other mods for an ultimate home playing experience.

Besides - it's got to be able to compete with all my EMs when folks come over.

#21 4 years ago

What extra toys are there besides the ship in the shooter lane....???..................Joey

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

What extra toys are there besides the ship in the shooter lane....???..................Joey

asteroids

#23 4 years ago

Not disagreeing with you, as far as 'toys' I mean it's not like XMLE with a moving ramp or pop-up NC and it's not like AcDc premium with several toys or Metallica with the hammer.

ST premium, may not have extra toys, but the ship besides shaking it fricken crashes (which is cool), it's got laser light show (I'd call that a toy), it's got full color changing inserts (not a toy but IMO is the singles coolest thing on the whole table) and warp lamp lights (not sure if that's on the pro).

Not to mention better side armor/legs lighted on the LE.

So if Tron LE 'lighted ramps' while not a toy, for a while was the single defining item that Tron LE had over Tron pro (moving recognizer and drop targets are different but not a reason why Tron LE is worth $3000 more than Tron pro). IMO if you want the best version it's not much of a debate with ST. There is nothing the pro is better for except the price.

#24 4 years ago

The differences are pretty much entirely cosmetic. The only gameplay difference I can think of is having the left scoop be an upkicker instead of just shooting back onto the playfield, which could be nice since that kicker can be trouble on some games.

Overall I'd say Pro is good value and there's not much reason to upgrade unless you care a lot about the cosmetic stuff.

#25 4 years ago

Ive owned the pro with refinery apron, enterprise mod etc and it was fantastic. I sold it to upgrade to the prrmium as the powdercoat and art on that model is amazing. I would agree that pro is best bang for buck but its hard to fault the look of the prem or le and nothing comes close when those 60plus color changers are working together. Best lightshow in pinball at the moment.
-

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Ive owned the pro with refinery apron, enterprise mod etc and it was fantastic. I sold it to upgrade to the prrmium as the powdercoat and art on that model is amazing. I would agree that pro is best bang for buck but its hard to fault the look of the prem or le and nothing comes close when those 60plus color changers are working together. Best lightshow in pinball at the moment.
-

Agree.

I'm not knocking the pro, it's definitely cheaper and plays about the same or the same depending on how you look at it.

Have the LE

Has
-full color changing inserts plus better GI and flashers (I believe) it's the best light show of all time (IMO)
-lighted etched side rails and powder coated legs and lockdown bar this would be a mulit hundred dollar upgrade on Tron, I believe somethig like $400 for the lighted side rails. The lighted etched side armor are the reason I went with the LE over the premium. Maybe it's too expensive, but it is also cool to look at.
- crashing ship (very cool)
- shaker (included on LE extra cost on the pro)
- laser light show (not the best but it's OK)
- different mode start hole, up kicker (cool)
- asteroids, not great but not bad
-Enterprise ship toy, not great but not bad.
-lighted warp ramp chase lights (not bad)
-outlane kick back (not bad)
-metal ramps (not bad)
-better are (IMO) and better color scheme (IMO)

- costs a lot more than the pro but you get a lot of stuff (above)

I have not modded my LE at all, doesn't need anythig to me except protectors.

#27 4 years ago

I wish Stern games could control the GI color as well. ST would have been awesome with the GI going RED for RED ALERT!

I wanted the premium, but settled for the pro because of money at the time. I've been tempted to sell the pro and get a premium, but that's going to be a big chunk of change. Probably $3K Canadian which is half the price of a new pro so it's just not worth it.

Rob

#28 4 years ago

All three are really good. I debated and debated between Pro and Premium. Went with Pro in the end, no regrets.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I wish Stern games could control the GI color as well. ST would have been awesome with the GI going RED for RED ALERT!
I wanted the premium, but settled for the pro because of money at the time.

^^ This. Talk about a possible mod that for one mode would be awesome.

Great discussion all. FWIW, I do own a ST:TNG. A lot to think about, and I clearly need to see the other flavors in person. Shouldn't be too hard to find in Pittsburgh.

The one part of my original question that's still out there: $$$. What is a reasonable ball park for a HUO (or new if still available?) Pro vs. Premium vs. LE?

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I wish Stern games could control the GI color as well.

They can... AVLE has color changing GI based on the mode you are in.

OP: If the game you played had color changing inserts that changed based on the mode you selected, you played a premium or LE. If it had red armor, it was a premium, if it had blue armor with the Enterprise cut into it, the game was an LE.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

OP: If the game you played had color changing inserts that changed based on the mode you selected, you played a premium or LE. If it had red armor, it was a premium, if it had blue armor with the Enterprise cut into it, the game was an LE.

The Pro has color-changing inserts for the 7 main insignia inserts as well. This is key for the missions, like you implied. What the premium has in addition is other color-changing inserts like the torpedoes and mission inserts in the middle. Not sure if they actually use different colors in there during the game, but the hues are different.

#32 4 years ago

Really.....can you play with asteroids....?....a "toy" is something you play with...I really enjoy ST...but when you look at it....there are no real "toys"...hell the Vengeance ship isn't even a toy....it's a drop target that activates "the" "toy"....real toys IMO are...

IM...Monger
Sapranos....safe
T2......cannon
TWD....WW
WWE....ring
NASCAR....test car
SM......doc ock,sandman
On and on

So again...not bashing it.(hehe)..I love the game....but...where are there ANY toys on ST....I've played it a lot and my ball has yet to hit a "toy" on ST....and I play on the pro and LE.....

Now on topic...The one that appeals to "you" the most.............Joey

#33 4 years ago

Really.....can you play with asteroids....?....a "toy" is something you play with...I really enjoy ST...but when you look at it....there are no real "toys"...hell the Vengeance ship isn't even a toy....it's a drop target that activates "the" "toyNow on topic...The one that appeals to "you" the most.............Joey

I guess definitions vary. My response was based on Stern's official features list for Star Trek. The LE and Premium both have two "toys": the Enterprise model and the pair of asteroids w/ flashers. The Pro has neither.

Stern Star Trek Game Features By Model.pdf

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I guess definitions vary. My response was based on Stern's official features list for Star Trek. The LE and Premium both have two "toys": the Enterprise model and the pair of asteroids w/ flashers. The Pro has neither.
Stern Star Trek Game Features By Model.pdf (Click image to enlarge)

If you're selling it's a lake

If you're buying it's a pond

I received a Christmas ornament of the Enterprise from my inlaws a few years ago. Looks like the same shit slapped on the LE.

My pet peeve on machines are hotwheels & GI Joes.

I won't own IM, Nascar or Avatar because of it. Those dolls on my LOTR are lame too.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I won't own IM, Nascar or Avatar because of it. Those dolls on my LOTR are lame too.

My heart is still beating fast from my game of IM I finished ~10 minutes ago. 2x DoD shots made, one with 2x playfield lit. Whiffed on Jericho. New high score though, so can't complain too much...

You're missing out. Even Avatar is worth a shot at the right price!

#36 4 years ago

But yeah, the GI Joe is just awful.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I wanted the premium, but settled for the pro because of money at the time. I've been tempted to sell the pro and get a premium, but that's going to be a big chunk of change. Probably $3K Canadian which is half the price of a new pro so it's just not worth it.
Rob

I think Stern may have intentionally kept the gi out of the light show so as to place more emphasis on the inserts.cthere is already so much going on light wise so I think gi changing also would be that one step too far.

You have to remember the last few stern games after st have had 7 or 8 color changing inserts and prior to ST acdc only has 16. 60plus color changers is a huge difference

#38 4 years ago

The pro will always be the best bang for the buck. That's even better if you pick up a used pro. A nice used pro, picked up to save shipping is a great deal for an an almost new game. I really like the art package etc on the ST pro. I haven't played one much.

I have the LE and it was very expensive compared to the pro. I think the cosmetic extras on the LE were well thought out and make the game worth it for those that like the bling. It's a beautiful game. I have no regrets about my LE purchase. If saving money, I would by a HUO or routed pro.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Interesting, I didn't recall that when I played the premium. It looks like they have colored lamps in the GI that they turn on based on modes? They did this with XMEN LE too. It was a cool effect.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

The laser show is one of the best features of the Premium/LE. Everyone who plays the game loves it.

To call it dog shit is....well....horse shit!

The plastic ramps of the Pro are cheap. The asteroids do flash now. The color and side art of the Premium blow the Pro away. The Apron lights now match the color of the modes.

Go Premium!

#41 4 years ago

I agree the lasers are awesome! Freakin lasers man!!!!

The light show on the prem/LE is amazing. It engulfs you into the theme and gives the game a lot of personality. I like that I can glance at the apron and know if a mission is still running while in mb and more importantly easily identify if double scoring is active.

The pro is great for the gameplay; but if you want the full ST experience, it's LE(prem?) or bust.

#42 4 years ago

If it were me, I'd go premium. You can get it NIB with all the gameplay features of the LE and save about 500-1000 over the price of a HUO LE. You will miss the backglass, lighted side armor, and lighted insignias on the LE. I also love the look of the Vengance cabinet. You would need the Aurich alt tranlight (which is way cool).

I couldn't do the pro, missing playfield features is just going to drive me bananas and ruin the game for me personally.

#43 4 years ago

My STLE was the best looking Stern pin that I have ever owned.

That doesn't necessarily make it a better value than the pro, but at least you are getting some very noticeable bling for the extra money.

#44 4 years ago

I like any post w/the word Horseshit in it

3 weeks later
#45 4 years ago

I really need to play an LE or Premium, cause the pro I had was a blast!

#46 4 years ago

I haven't found a Stern LE/Premium worthy of the extra cash over the pro. Having owned both a Premium and Pro AC/DC, I thought maybe that one (until I owned the Pro and actually liked it more)

ST pro is plenty of game for the money, and not even for a second while playing did I ever think ''gee, I wish I spent the extra $$ for the premium''...

With great code now, many people will have a challenging time getting to the end. I have mine listed for sale in the market, and honestly don't care if it doesn't sell.

Just my thoughts,

#47 4 years ago

I bought the STLE NIB. I wanted the extra bling. For me all the cosmetic stuff is worth the extra money. I was lucky to find a NIB (on PINSIDE) with an extra pro signed translite. When all was said and done, at the time I bought this, the cost of the STLE NIB was $600 more than a ST Premium NIB.

I added Cliffy protectors, Bird of prey, ramp protectors, Vengeance lighted mod. I just bought plastic protectors that I will install in a few days.

My favorite game was STTNG but this has become my new favorite game. I just keep coming back to it. Although I look forward to finding another STTNG to own.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside