You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16346766618_4ae1b6028b[1].jpg
15914271083_9369cdf6f4[1].jpg
16346768598_87ef4cf4d4[1].jpg
15914273453_745d5f882f[1].jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

One of the areas that I thought could use some improvement on my Star Trek LE was the Warp Ramp LED. I finished this mod tonight and detailed the event on my Blog @
Pinball-Mods.com. Specifically; I always thought the two SMD red LED didn’t quite fit where it was placed in the machine. Here's a photo of the install which I borrowed from Kawydud in this thread:
15914273453_745d5f882f[1].jpg15914273453_745d5f882f[1].jpg
I'm not sure what's going on in this picture... I'm not sure if his camera blurred the leds; or if he was running some diffused LEDs. On my machine; the LED is a "retro" blub-style with a clear round lense.

The plan was to “replace” the LED round lens with a laser cut lense which duplicated the artwork on the insignia’s plastic. To this I disassembled the plastic by removing the four screws… and took the plastic to my HP scanner where I scanned the art into my computer. Then using Corel Draw, I traced the Red Arrow from the plastic art. I recreated the arrow using red; then added the black border around the plastic to block light and give a round area to mount the new LED. Once I had the recreated arrow; I broke it into two laser cut pieces. One would be cut out of the matte/diffused Red acrylic which was used on the Stern Star Trek Pop Undercaps. The second would be cut out of 1/8″ opaque black acrylic – this piece serving as an outline for the red piece and support from the LED.

I took these files to Techshop.ws where I laser cut several of each piece for experimentation later at home. Once the laser cutting was complete; I used the black cad files to laser etch some 1/4″ plywood to act as an assembling aid/surface. When I got home; I used the plywood and some wooden toothpicks to clamp the two pieces together:
16346768598_87ef4cf4d4[1].jpg16346768598_87ef4cf4d4[1].jpg

I then cut the round lens off the original LED using a new XACTO knife and then using some two part 5minute epoxy; I glued the lamp to the new lense:
15914271083_9369cdf6f4[1].jpg15914271083_9369cdf6f4[1].jpg

I allowed the epoxy to cure for about an hour. I then reinstalled the plastics and the new LED assembly:
16346766618_4ae1b6028b[1].jpg16346766618_4ae1b6028b[1].jpg
I’m really quite happy with the way this turned out. It defiantly spruces up the warp assembly. IF I had any critism on this... I wish the Matte Acrylic would have done a better job of diffusing the light... but overall; I think it's much better than the original bulb.

Limited units in-stock now at:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/product_info.php?products_id=36

1 week later
#5 9 years ago

Limited units in-stock now at:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/product_info.php?products_id=36
I'll continue to assemble and add stock over the weekend.

#6 9 years ago

Chris - yours shipped today via FC usmail. Thanks!

#8 9 years ago

These went out of stock today... but I've assembled a few more. As I stated; I'll be periodically adding new stock as I assemble them.

#9 9 years ago

Dan and Mark... Your LEDS are at the post office

#10 9 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-rest-in-peace-nimoy-sale
10% discount with a matching 10% donation in honor of #LeonardNimoy to the COPD Foundation.

#13 9 years ago

See the store page:

To install this LED in the proper orientation carefully use the arrow to twist the #44 lamp base using a counter-clockwise direction (opposite of the clockwise twist to install the lamp). Twist the rotate-able lamp base using this method until the LED's arrow lines up with the art of the warp ramp plastic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 24.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-warp-ramp-led-mod?tu=zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.