You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T_2.jpg
Stern-StarTrek-Pro-Playfield.JPG
image-2.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Not sure if anyone else noticed but star trek is remarkably similar in layout to T2.
Remove the cannon add a flipper and a ramp shot from there and you have pretty much the same machine.

image-2.jpgimage-2.jpg Stern-StarTrek-Pro-Playfield.JPGStern-StarTrek-Pro-Playfield.JPG

#3 10 years ago

I'll trade my T2 for a Star Trek
(and, no...not the Bally)

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I'll trade my T2 for a Star Trek
(and, no...not the Bally)

STTNG maybe...this ST looks like junk.

#5 10 years ago

I was thinking about this earlier today. Nice to see side-by-side. I'd save $6,000 and just take the T2 I think. I'll be glad when all the Star Trek BS dies down. The forums have been blown up with it and I could care less.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I'll be glad when all the Star Trek BS dies down.

Once we see gameplay, we'll know one way or the other if something's there...

#7 10 years ago

Yeah, it looks pretty similar to T2, which also looks pretty similar to AC/DC.

Seems like someone's a bit of a one-note pony.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Not sure if anyone else noticed but Star Trek any fan pattern is remarkably similar in layout to T2 any fan pattern.
Remove the cannon add a flipper and a ramp shot thing that makes them different from each other and from there and you have pretty much the same machine.

T, FTFY

Didn't this same trope get trotted out about AC/DC?

#9 10 years ago

You guys crack me up. I'm pretty sure that when you play ST you won't be confused and thinking that it plays like T2.

#10 10 years ago

You guys crack me up. I'm pretty sure that when you play ST you won't be confused and thinking that it plays like T2.

When I play WoZ I think of T2, I click the flippers 3 times and say "There's no face like chrome".

T_2.jpgT_2.jpg

#11 10 years ago

Just saying. Even the 3 targets on the right side are in the same place. The left ball lock/kickout hole in the same spot. Pop bumpers are in the same spot. Even the one target by the bottom pop is in the same spot. Just the other two are removed. Ramps/return lanes. Fan layout or not, its not much different than T2.

Not bashing the pin. Yes it is a fan layout but not all fan layouts are the same. And in this case it is.

#12 10 years ago

I thought ACDC was more like T2.

#13 10 years ago

The two layouts are nothing alike. 2 ramps / 2 flippers vs. 3 ramps / 3 flippers? The only things they have in common are a few Steve Richie signatures which are very nice:

1. Dead-end shot on the left (same as NF).
2. Orbit shots, 2 of them.

I happen to think ST has the best Steve Ritchie layout to date.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I could care less.

How much?

2 weeks later
#15 10 years ago

So, I got the chance to play the pro version today at a local retailer. And I have to say that since I own a T2 the gameplay is very very similar. Yes the 3rd flipper and extra ramp add something more. Basically the cannon shot into a ramp while the ball is in play from a flipper, rather than a cannon lock and target shot. It is basically the same game, but....The rules make all the difference as star trek is obviously more complex as far as rules and modes go. But the flow of the game feels like T2. Right down to the ball dribble on the left of the bottom pop bumper. But this time its a magnet lock rather than kickout hole, and the orbit and the ramp shots from side to side have the same flow. And that a good thing. Star Trek is most definitely an improved tweaked version of T2. Just as T2 was an improved version of firepower. Overall impressions probably the best stern yet. Great lightshow neat toys and good ruleset and great flow.
However the only gripe is I just wish that the stern cabinets felt more solid at the flippers instead of that hollow feeling. And the plastics were made to look higher quality. But that has all been said before and beat to death.
But great Steve Richie game!

#16 10 years ago

TRY AGAIN T2 vs ACDC they are the same freaking game seriously

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Not sure if anyone else noticed but Star Trek is remarkably similar in layout to T2.
Remove the cannon add a flipper and a ramp shot from there and you have pretty much the same machine.

The same can be said for any "fan" playfield layout. If you just remove this, then put that there, then rearrange that, then add this. Of course if you did all that it would look the same. You would have to add a third ramp too.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Not sure if anyone else noticed but Star Trek is remarkably similar in layout to T2.

Is this a joke? The games are nothing alike. The center of T2 is a set of 3 stand up targets with pop bumpers behind them. That's a horrible center shot and sends the ball towards the left outlane on almost every shot. The center of Star trek is a nice magnet toy. T2 has 2 ramps, Star trek has 3 ramps. Star trek has a 3rd flipper which makes a huge difference.

ACDC is much more similar to T2. Star trek is more similar to spiderman. But even spiderman and star trek play quite a bit different due to the wider ramps in star trek and narrower / higher shots in spiderman. And T2 is a slow-poke of a game compared to either of these.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

T2 has 2 ramps, so does Star Trek.

Doesn't Star Trek have three ramps??

#20 10 years ago

When I first saw Star Trek, I immediately thought it looked like Spiderman. However, I have a JP and a Frankenstein, which have a very similar layout also, and they play nothing alike. I agree there is only so much you can do with a fan layout. Hope to get to play a Star Trek someday and see how it compares to my Spidey.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Yes.

ACDC looks more like T2
WOZ looks like TZ

Maybe ST looks like MM or SM

#22 10 years ago

Oh, sorry, you're right there. I'll edit my post.

#23 10 years ago

OMG all these games have 2 slings and 2 flippers at the bottom and 3 bumpers and the same silver balls bouncing around... THEY'RE ALL THE SAAAAAME!!!!!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

OMG all these games have 2 slings and 2 flippers at the bottom and 3 bumpers and the same silver balls bouncing around... THEY'RE ALL THE SAAAAAME!!!!!

Ah man, too funny .

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

OMG there is going to be anarchy

#26 10 years ago

I guess you can't compare games based on your personal opinion /observations and actually playing / owning them without getting bashed even though you say its a great game. (Some only read what they want to hear or don't want to hear) I can't wait until there is a Steve Richie interview where he mentions T2 as his inspiration for Star Trek.

So...Star Trek is T2 with a magnet, no cannon a third flipper and an extra ramp. Obviously more rules as I stated before. Just as T2 is Firepower with 2 ramps added and one less pop bumper and a cannon and more rules. Steve Richie himself has stated T2 is an improved firepower. Look it up on the pinball database. Compare playfield pics, look at targets ramp and lane locations most only slightly adjusted or exactly the same. Judge for yourself, play them. Also just to be clear I like them all! I left pinside for awhile. I remember why. LOL

Popcorn ready!

#27 10 years ago

Wow even the shooter lanes look similar. I can't believe there isn't a T2 head in ST.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Wow even the shooter lanes look similar. I can't believe there isn't a T2 head in ST.

But if you just remove the ship then place a T2 head in it's place there will be. See they are so similar, they both have T2 heads.

#29 10 years ago

But if you just remove the ship then place a T2 head in it's place there will be. See they are so similar, they both have T2 heads.

Amazing.

Maybe the next Stern game will look like Captain Fantastic.

How many games look like WOF or 24?

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Amazing.
Maybe the next Stern game will look like Captain Fantastic.
How many games look like WOF or 24?

I think Family Guy looks a lot like WOZ. They both have upper playfields

#31 10 years ago

I think Family Guy looks a lot like WOZ. They both have upper playfields

Ah yes. More like TFLE and WOZ. They both have 2 mini playfields.

Wait Embryon and WOZ are both wide bodies. If you stick a LCD in Embryon, you basically have WOZ.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Wait Embryon and WOZ are both wide bodies. If you stick a LCD in Embryon, you basically have WOZ.

Man I wish I wasn't drinking when I read that. My keyboard is soaked, now I need a new one. LMFAO!!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I guess you can't compare games based on your personal opinion /observations and actually playing / owning them without getting bashed even though you say its a great game. (Some only read what they want to hear or don't want to hear) I can't wait until there is a Steve Richie interview where he mentions T2 as his inspiration for Star Trek.
So...Star Trek is T2 with a magnet, no cannon a third flipper and an extra ramp. Obviously more rules as I stated before. Just as T2 is Firepower with 2 ramps added and one less pop bumper and a cannon and more rules. Steve Richie himself has stated T2 is an improved firepower. Look it up on the pinball database. Compare playfield pics, look at targets ramp and lane locations most only slightly adjusted or exactly the same. Judge for yourself, play them. Also just to be clear I like them all! I left pinside for awhile. I remember why. LOL
Popcorn ready!

There are a lot of similarities of course but you can take quite a few games in the last 20 years and make the same comparison.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

There are a lot of similarities of course but you can take quite a few games in the last 20 years and make the same comparison.

I agree, but they are not the same designers pins. Not bashing Steve Richie by any means I know thats part of his style. And if the layout formula works, why not improve on it. T2 is a great machine and after playing Star Trek today its an improvement on a tested formula for sure. It plays very similar in shots and flow. In fact at times I forgot that 3rd flipper was there and the extra ramp and it felt just like my T2 at home. When I got multiball going and locked a ball in the magnet I was expecting the cannon jackpot shot. I'm totally serious.

Just can't understand the freaking out over comparing a great classic game to a new one by the same designer.

I can honestly look at the playfirld on star trek and only notice 6 things different about the layout besides the inserts.(not counting those, nothing to do with kinetics/flow)
I can notice 100 things the same.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I agree, but they are not the same designers pins. Not bashing Steve Richie by any means I know thats part of his style. And if the layout formula works, why not improve on it. T2 is a great machine and after playing Star Trek today its an improvement on a tested formula for sure. It plays very similar in shots and flow. In fact at times I forgot that 3rd flipper was there and the extra ramp and it felt just like my T2 at home. When I got multiball going and locked a ball in the magnet I was expecting the cannon jackpot shot. I'm totally serious.
Just can't understand the freaking out over comparing a great classic game to a new one by the same designer.
I can honestly look at the playfirld on Star Trek and only notice 6 things different about the layout besides the inserts.(not counting those, nothing to do with kinetics/flow)

You can look at any game and find something similar to another game. It's just an irrelevant comparison. There are very few games where the similarities matter in the big picture. Wanna compare Family Guy and Shrek? OK - those are LITERALLY the same game....but ST and T2 or even AC/DC and T2? C'mon. What's the point? OK, I concede...both games have rubber!!! Glarghghghghhh....

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I can honestly look at the playfirld on Star Trek and only notice 6 things different about the layout besides the inserts.(not counting those, nothing to do with kinetics/flow)

Take a pic of ACDC and a pic of T2. Same thing. You are not stating anything that everybody already knows. Compare MB with TF. It is almost the exact layout.
The formula works otherwise it would not be used.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

TFLE does NOT have 2 mini playfields.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

How about Austin Powers and WOZ!? Austin spins...the house spins! Dr. Evil rises from the playfield....so does the Witch!!!! OMG they're the same F*cking game!!!!

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

What is the starscream platform then?

#40 10 years ago

Its Ritchie man, he sticks a formula of flow, of course all his tables tend to be small varients of each other. I can definitely say that Stern Star Trek does have that classic Ritchie feel, and plays quite well. Its a lot more fun, out of the box, than AC/DC was because it doesn't have any of that cheap crap happening that makes a game unenjoyable. Software will really make or break this game, because god knows the art work isnt doing anything.

#41 10 years ago

T2: Arnold
STID: Chris Pine

T2 wins... flawless victory.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

What is the starscream platform then?

Not a mini playfield.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Not a mini playfield.

Platform?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 21.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-vs-t2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.