2%

(165 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7E7C567F-6CC1-463F-923A-D1188E4D7338 (resized).png
11B60581-593C-461C-A573-FA965727C970 (resized).jpeg
image-22 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I would be curious how a new poll on this would turn out since Star Wars has been out for awhile now. The core gameplay of pro/premium are about the same on both pins, I think most would agree?

#2 5 years ago

If you are comparing pro's I pick star trek if you are comparing premiums I pick star wars.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

If you are comparing pro's I pick star trek if you are comparing premiums I pick star wars.

Does the Premium really add that much more to Star Wars? I thought the code was about the same.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Does the Premium really add that much more to Star Wars? I thought the code was about the same.

The code is always about the same. But the hyperloop is way cooler than the left kickout and kickback on ST

#5 5 years ago

I just really like the hyperloop on star wars premium I think it makes the game cooler looking and it's an awesome feature.

#6 5 years ago

Yes, there a huge difference with the hyperspace loop toy, fork ramp, moving Death Star toy, metal ramps, metal habit rails, outlane ball save, light up Falcon, etc.

I like Star Trek a lot but voted Star Wars as I think it has some of the best theme integration in pinball thanks to excellent use of licensed assets as well as a very deep objective based ruleset. I also find the mini wizard modes for the 4 locations in Star Wars to be more immersive then the mini wizard modes in Star Trek.

Can't go wrong with either game. Star Trek LE though is easily the better LE of the two.

#7 5 years ago

I'm a big star wars fan, but stern's SW was a pretty big disappointment for me. Empty and drainy. Folks say the code is awesome, but I don't see it. It doesn't seem approachable to me and seems jumbled and confusing.

ST is probably the better of the two if you want stuff to do on the playfield and have a clear set of rules.

#8 5 years ago

I bought both.

Star Wars = sold and bye bye, please never come back

Star Trek = keeper, will stay forever

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It doesn't seem approachable to me and seems jumbled and confusing.
ST is probably the better of the two if you want stuff to do on the playfield and have a clear set of rules.

Most things seem confusing when you don't put any time into learning.
Most modes are color coded and the basics are pretty, well basic. Shoot the colors to light modes, hit the ramp to start modes, shoot the colored shots to complete modes.
Wasn't too hard was it?

#10 5 years ago

star trek - keeper

star wars - stinker

#11 5 years ago

I feel like Star Wars would have to offer something pretty amazing to beat the warp ramp shot. Not sure that it does.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Most modes are color coded and the basics are pretty, well basic. Shoot the colors to light modes, hit the ramp to start modes, shoot the colored shots to complete modes.
Wasn't too hard was it?

Hard when you don't own the game or have ready access to it. I've only been able to play it a half dozen times at shows. It just doesn't resonate with me, and I find myself bypassing it to play other games.

Believe me, because of the theme, I *want* to like it--it's just not a very good game from what I've seen thus far.

#13 5 years ago

I feel like Star Wars would have to offer something pretty amazing to beat the warp ramp shot.

Agree 100%. One of my fav shots in pinball!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It just doesn't resonate with me, and I find myself bypassing it to play other games.

Sure this makes more sense than it being overly complicated. You have WOZ rated super high and it's the least intuitive game ever made, so you're probably smart enough to figure it out.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Wasn't too hard was it?

I always wanted to tell you, your game sucks! ST really is superior on every level, it shouldn't be a debate. It's one of Stern's best, ever. It shoots smooth as silk and the the code is fun, challenging, yet approachable.

#16 5 years ago

ST is repetitive...SW has tons of variety. SW FTW!

#17 5 years ago

It's when you add in the shot multipliers & locking/switching the X inserts that it starts to get confusing. Modes are self explanatory, but it's difficult to for a beginner to grasp scoring rules. When playing with others during league play, if a big score is achieved, most people can't explain what they did to get the big jackpots. Just keep the ball in play since it's so damn fast. Don't like the video mode either. IDK. Not what I expected for a SW themed pin, but the vader/obiwan lightsaber battle mode is pretty cool.

#18 5 years ago

I'm the exact opposite.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

but the vader/obiwan lightsaber battle mode is pretty cool.

thats probably my least fav thing when you get stuck in that shit and cant play the stuff that youre working to, like max 40x (20x tournament mode) multiplier video mode.

#20 5 years ago

Both of these games are two of my favorite adrenaline rush games.....

#21 5 years ago

St all day! Some day they will make a good star wars.... until then

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

I always wanted to tell you, your game sucks! ST

Thats too bad, I like ST but like SW better.
We csn only hope ST goes sown in history as a great game like alien star

#23 5 years ago

I have owned both.

I love SW. Great rules & immersion. The Premium is the way to go. I have a lot of fun playing it.

I disliked certain shots on ST & generally just didn't find it fun despite being a big Star Trek fan. I sold it & don't miss it.

I can't agree with the "empty" playfield comments about SW. On ST, the ship is just a bigger version of the tie fighter albeit with drop target/magnet. However, SW more than makes up for it with the Death Star, 2nd LCD screen, and large LCD vs. DMD with movie soundtrack and scenes. The hyperloop is way cooler than the nosediving ship and laser light. As far as bling lighting, I'll give it to ST although SW has a great light show as well.

Voted SW.

#24 5 years ago

I prefer the star trek layout but star wars code is much better both are good fun.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

, but it's difficult to for a beginner to grasp scoring rules.

Hit the 3 bank and your multiplier will go up 1. Green arrows are the shots that are multiplied by that number.
Thats not super complicated...Unless you mean moving the arrows around which obviously isn't confusing but involves some dexterity

#26 5 years ago

Totally agree!!! Hyperloop is really fun.

#27 5 years ago

I feel like ST lacks variety. You can play out the modes differently but it all amounts to the same of long timers and tons of shots. Even multiball modes are the same - shoot all shots. There is some fun in doing Vengeance modes and working on scoring strategies. Just hitting warp ramps is a lot of fun. Overall it's a fun shooter but really could use some other objectives outside of the normal modes. Starting modes is also a big pita with the tight shots.

SW feels like it has more going on. It is a little confusing with all the different colors of inserts and all the different modes. I have played it a lot but still not sure what is going on most of the game. It's still a pretty fun game, though. I love the shot multiplier. It's always available and fun to try and use it the entire game. Modes seem to be diverse, hurry ups, and lots of mb action. Game can be brutal if not setup level. One on location I play a lot has some bad ball hop and drains a lot. Still a really fun game, though. Theme integration, art, and world under glass could be better but gameplay is always king.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You have WOZ rated super high and it's the least intuitive game ever made, so you're probably smart enough to figure it out.

I don't think it's too confusing, and I haven't gotten a whole lot of game time on that one either. You hit a shot, it explains what the status is and what you need to accomplish next (either visually or with simple text). SW doesn't seem to present game info in an easily digestible format--too much text, too much stuff wizzing by. Part of the problem is that there is no text on the playfield that indicates anything. Just inserts with a bunch of "x"'s. I get that the x's were sterns attempt to make the inserts versatile, but it doesn't really work for me. Maybe putting the empire/alliance logos on them would have been more attractive, I don't know.

TH, DI, and POTC are somewhat confusing, though--there's way too much going on in order to quickly/easily grasp what's happening. Woz had more of a guided approach compared to the later JJP games.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

When playing with others during league play, if a big score is achieved, most people can't explain what they did to get the big jackpots. Just keep the ball in play since it's so damn fast.

Exactly. You either have to study the game intently, or just resort to flailing around randomly and hoping something happens. It's not one of those games that's "easy to play, but difficult to master", it's difficult to play and difficult to master. There's no obvious targets that lead you through the game.

That's why certain games have consistently remained in the top 10. They are enjoyed almost universally, and not just by experienced tournament players.

There's just a big hump to get over on SW before you even begin to figure out what's going on.

#29 5 years ago

Outside of gameplay and lighting, I found ST DMD graphics to be laughably bad. Oh look, I'm being chased by stick men natives! Yikes!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#30 5 years ago

How about Data East Star Trek?

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Outside of gameplay and lighting, I found ST DMD graphics to be laughably bad. Oh look, I'm being chased by stick men natives! Yikes!

As with most stern games, a colorDMD is a big improvement.

#32 5 years ago

Tough one. Both great games, but for me ST pulls ahead.

Star Wars has some of the best theme immersion and software. The music, sounds, video, lightshow all come together to put you smack into the movies. I know many do not like the art, but I love it. Sure, the center playfield could be a little better (four character inserts and the Falcon), but the other details around the playfield are great. The translite and cabinet art are awesome (I prefer pro, but premium is great too...not sure about LE as I haven't seen one in person). Unfortunately the playfield layout brings it down a bit. I do not mind the lack of toys...I think this is a case of proving that a great game doesn't need toy gimmicks. My only problem is the layout just isn't all that satisfying to shoot. The ball launch is a dumpster fire, often leading to drain/ball save/drain. The other shots are tight and just feel somewhat "off", which is really strange to say for a Steve Ritchie game. I do like the U-turn quite a bit...especially the Hoth side. The Death Star is a crazy hard shot, but feels good to hit. The other shots are just kind of there...nothing really feels good to hit. Thankfully Dwight took what is there and wrapped a unique, fun, and challenging ruleset around it which saves the game. I love that it forces you to take risks to get the big reward. Want a big multiplier? Here's a super dangerous stand-up bank to hit. Want to move that multiplier to a different shot? Go ahead...but you are going to have to take your hands off the flippers to do it. Want to get to Tie Fighter multiball quicker? Go ahead and take a hand off the flippers to smash this button. I LOVE the risk reward that all of that brings to the game. There are a few things in the code I'd love to see tweaked, but honestly it's a blast. Add all of the Star Wars assets integrated perfectly on top of that, and you have a great experience in my book. I just wish the layout itself was a little more fun...then it could be one of the best ever made.

Star Trek on the other hand is almost the polar opposite. The playfield has the most geometrically perfect layout ever designed. Every shot is amazing and feels great to hit. Everything is just THERE...right where you expect it to be, with the flow and speed you expect from Steve Ritchie. It has some hard shots (both mode starts), but they are fair and not terribly dangerous if you miss...and the under the flipper shot is pretty badass. The warp ramp is upper flipper perfection...so fast, smooth, and difficult but not impossible. The Vengeance is a great toy, utilizing both a magnet and drop target as different lock mechanisms, not to mention the kicker that fires back at you. Awesome. The code is overall very good, but not quite great. The Vengeance modes are cool, and really bring out the feeling of battling the ship in a way few games are able to pull off. There are a ton of modes, and multiple ways of tackling them, but they aren't as well integrated or unique as Star Wars. Music, sounds, and speech are very good, but again not quite up there with Star Wars. I just listened to a podcast interviewing Lyman, and he mentioned that he was slated to do Star Trek before being pulled off for Metallica. While I really like the current software, I can't help but wonder what magic Lyman could have done with this layout and theme.

So for me, I have to give the nod to Star Trek as it is simply more fun to shoot while still having very solid software. Star Wars has better software all around (rules + movie assets), but is not nearly as satisfying to shoot. I am very happy to have both in my collection, and they are two of my all time favorites, just for different reasons.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

#34 5 years ago

I owned Star Trek Premium, played Star Wars and never want to play it again. Sold Star Trek for being boring, but played it again recently and had fun with it. Just got tiring at home, the layout is too smooth and the code is too "shoot the lit shot", it just feels repetitive fast to me.

I'd personally pass on both games and get something else. But if your heart is set on one or the other Star Trek is the better game.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

I was just about to say Bally Star Trek is probably the best one of them all.

image-22 (resized).jpgimage-22 (resized).jpg
#36 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was just about to say Bally Star Trek is probably the best one of them all.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I owned Star Trek Premium, played Star Wars and never want to play it again. Sold Star Trek for being boring, but played it again recently and had fun with it. Just got tiring at home, the layout is too smooth and the code is too "shoot the lit shot", it just feels repetitive fast to me.
I'd personally pass on both games and get something else. But if your heart is set on one or the other Star Trek is the better game.

We've got bored with every single pin we've bought. Some take a little longer than others, but they all get repetitive and boring eventually, especially in a small collection like mine. I've at most owned 3 pins at one time. I owned a Star Trek Pro, then sold it, then months later played it on location again and realized how much fun it was and I really missed having it at home - I can't say the same thing with any of the other pins we've owned. I agree it does feel like "shoot the lit shot". We were bored with STTNG's code after about 3 days and the kids never played that one again after those 3 days, that code felt more unique with each of the modes but there just wasn't enough code and it felt boring after playing through all the modes over and over. I like pins that are very fast, STTNG felt slow to me and brutal.

Star wars is fast and I enjoy that, just not sure the playfield layout is satisfying enough.

#38 5 years ago

Some people seem to like 90s pins better. Personally I’d like to have the new Star Wars.

11B60581-593C-461C-A573-FA965727C970 (resized).jpeg11B60581-593C-461C-A573-FA965727C970 (resized).jpeg
#39 5 years ago

My only beef with star trek was that the modes were so BORING. Loved the game for every other aspect except the modes, which is a shame since it is a mode driven game.

#40 5 years ago

Man the “world under glass” crowd is just never gonna get over the fact that there’s not an animated AtAt that marches across the playfield I guess.

Star Wars is a great game to play. I prefer the premium the loop is pretty cool.

Star Trek is a good game too and the pro is the better choice/value there.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

there’s not an animated AtAt that marches across the playfield I guess.

That would be awesome

#42 5 years ago

Both are fun!!!

#43 5 years ago

We've got bored with every single pin we've bought. Some take a little longer than others, but they all get repetitive and boring eventually, especially in a small collection like mine. I've at most owned 3 pins at one time. I owned a Star Trek Pro, then sold it, then months later played it on location again and realized how much fun it was and I really missed having it at home - I can't say the same thing with any of the other pins we've owned. I agree it does feel like "shoot the lit shot". We were bored with STTNG's code after about 3 days and the kids never played that one again after those 3 days, that code felt more unique with each of the modes but there just wasn't enough code and it felt boring after playing through all the modes over and over. I like pins that are very fast, STTNG felt slow to me and brutal.
Star wars is fast and I enjoy that, just not sure the playfield layout is satisfying enough.

I guess I'd just say that if you get bored of all pins eventually that you're just going to get bored more quickly with a pin that you've already owned and gotten bored of in the past. Maybe leave Star Trek for on location and err on the side of a pin you've never owned.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

I guess I'd just say that if you get bored of all pins eventually that you're just going to get bored more quickly with a pin that you've already owned and gotten bored of in the past. Maybe leave Star Trek for on location and err on the side of a pin you've never owned.

That's one way to think about it for sure. But I am a huge Star Trek fan and I really love the pin. Can't say I really miss any of the other pins all that much that I sold.

#45 5 years ago

Having owned both (still have a SW Premium), I give the edge to Star Wars. Code is better, way more variety and ways to approach the game. LCD movie clips better than DMD animations, sound, better. Toys, hyperloop beats the crashing Vengeance easily imo. Just have more fun playing it than I did Star Trek.

#46 5 years ago

Star Wars for me. I think Star Trek is a smooth shooter, buts it’s a lesser version of Spider-Man to me. I don’t like the center shot much and the dots are hokey.

Star Wars is more immersive and fun, and way deeper. At least I think so.

#47 5 years ago

I have a ST pro and a SW prem. and I’m getting ready to move ST on and SW is going to stay a while longer. ST was fun but after I got the warp ramp out of my system the rest seems to be hit a lit shot x amount of times. I really like games that have deep rules so that’s why SW is the winner for me. ST is a fun and smooth shooting game with very easy shots. SW is just so much fun and so many ways to play it. My opinion is based on the SW premium version.

#48 5 years ago

They’re both good, I sold ST after a year, still play SW when I see it on location. SW suffers from a really bad plunge. ST is kind of the classic SR layout and feels kinda samey.

#49 5 years ago

I’ve only played SW maybe 20 times and didn’t figure out the rules. But I didn’t enjoy it. But admittedly I didn’t give it a full shake.

I ended up buying a used st premium and have been really enjoying it. Actually it was way more depth then I understood until I owned it. With galactic away team. Two skill shot options. Strategic use of stacking multi balls. And saving vengeance and Klingon multiballs for the best time. And then deciding how to progress. I don’t find the modes bland at all. And the game really punishes misses.

#50 5 years ago

I've owned ST Premium since it came out.

I like Star Trek as a theme better than Star Wars.

Star Wars is the better game. It's the natural progression of the rules Dwight saved ST with.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-vs-stern-star-wars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.