IMAG0628.jpg
IMAG0627.jpg
IMAG0629.jpg
20141215_154548.jpg
20141215_154350.jpg
20141215_154227.jpg
sStDSC_B4After-300x179[1].jpg
QMx+Star+Trek+Into+Darkness+USS+Vengeance+artisan+replica[1].jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

One of the things which has bothered me on the Stern Star Trek machine was the way the USS Vengeance shines it's bright blue Nacelle LEDs right in the eye of the player.

This simple mod aims to correct that. I knew I wanted laser cut some blue acrylic pieces to help defuse the LEDs; so I consulted google images to give me some ideas what the Nacelles were suppose to look like:
QMx+Star+Trek+Into+Darkness+USS+Vengeance+artisan+replica[1].jpgQMx+Star+Trek+Into+Darkness+USS+Vengeance+artisan+replica[1].jpg
Without redesigning the whole Stern Nacelle; I decided a piece set about 1/4"in into the nacelle would be closer to film accurate. Also; in a couple of the google images; the Bussard collector looked more cylinder shaped; so I figured a deep etch in the back side of the plastic would be ideal.

So; How'd it turn out?
A close-up Before and After:
sStDSC_B4After-300x179[1].jpgsStDSC_B4After-300x179[1].jpg

Want to do this yourself? Have access to Acrylic and a Laser Cutter? Great; I've decided release this design to the public under the TAPR Non-Commercial Open Hardware License which indicates:

You may make products based upon this design, provided you do not make more than ten units in any twelve month period for your personal use.

If you agree with the license terms, a PDF is posted at my blog under TAPR/NCL license:
http://pinball-mods.com/blogs/?p=476

ForSale here:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/product_info.php/products_id/33

2 months later
#4 9 years ago

Has anyone made these for their machine yet?

I'm considering offering these cheaply at Pinball-Mods.com/oscom ... but it seems kinda silly to charge large sums of money to ship them.

I wonder if I could drop them in the mail with a first class stamp and a standard envelope. What do you guys think? Worth the effort?

#7 9 years ago

Ok. Let me look into these. I'll need to figure out price point and how to setup "free shipping" in my shopping cart system. I'll look at having some laser cut next week after HAAG this weekend.

Would there be any interest in "single use" epoxy packages that ship with the mod?

1 month later
#12 9 years ago

http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/product_info.php?products_id=33
I'm expecting the envelopes I need to be delivered as early as tomorrow; then I can begin shipping these.

I'm curious if you guys think the price is right? I wanted to make it cheap enough - given what they are... but I'm more than a little concerned they may be too cheap and cause me "pain" in shipping so many.

Oh BTW: if you planning on buying the stern star trek pop kits:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/product_info.php?products_id=31
the kit already comes with a set of these mods.

#13 9 years ago

In stock and ready to ship.
Prices may vary as I fine tune based upon Paypal's "cut".

I'm looking for feedback on initial buyers as to how the packaging worked. PhilpH and JohnL - yours should be in tomorrows mail.

Basically; they ship on 110lb cardstock with laser cut holes to fit them. Then the sit inside a 3x5 invitation envelope with a first class stamp. Please post here or send me private IM if you have any issues not receiving your product - or receiving them damage/missing.

I'm doing this to keep the shipping basically free (cost of a stamp).

I'm looking to try this for our overseas pinheads - so if you can test for me; please let me know.

#15 9 years ago

msj2222,
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/product_info.php?products_id=33

LMK if you have any issues ordering.

Post edited by Zitt: correcting link

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

So does that link for the pop caps really activate on 12/31 and we must put in our order? or are those of us who put in for the waiting list need to do something else?

You can do both if you wish...IE get notified.
That link was me prepping the site. I've added a "get notified" as a generic feature of my site.
I'm fairly sure you'll see an announcement of availability soon. The parts are on the way from overseas as I type this. I suspect customs and stuff will take until next week for sure.
I'm prepping the undercaps and other parts for shipment now.
Pre order people still get first dibs by at least 24hrs.

#23 9 years ago

Not sure white would do anything more than make it more obvious. And when the machine is off...
smoke plexi would subdue the light ... not sure that's really desired, is it? I didn't try it.

#26 9 years ago

Good info.
I've had one report of ruptured Urethane packets ... so please keep the packaging feedback comming.

I need to figure out if anyone is receiving these without damaged envelopes or packets.

The current price of these leaves no room for packaging changes... so If I need to take action; the price will go up.

FYI: I go on "holiday" from Monday the 22nd to Tuesday the 30th.
During that time no Pinball-Mods.com orders will be sent during this time...

#28 9 years ago

Great to hear it! I thought is was a subtle but much improved look.

#30 9 years ago

I might also be the plastic.
On mine; I used 220grit orbital sander on dark blue acrylic on one side - then etched.
On the production units; I used the pre-matte / pre-diffused acrylic. So what you are seeing is probably the better properties of the diffused acrylic.

2 months later
#37 9 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-rest-in-peace-nimoy-sale
10% discount with a matching 10% donation in honor of #LeonardNimoy to the COPD Foundation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 24.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-vengeance-nacelle-mod?tu=zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.