Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STPRO_6_Transistor_Board.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I recently updated to an alternate version of the 1.61 code which has the soundtrack music. However, I quickly noticed that the loop/orbit gate that opens for vengeance multiball and the super skill shot was failing to open to allow the ball to loop all the way around to the left flipper on plunge. I tested the coils (51 and 52 - left and right) but neither seemed to open the gate although I could hear a faint hum.
I went back to the regular Stern 1.61 code (I was sure this would correct it) but the issue persists.

Is it possible that the modified code was from an LE/Premium model which has a different number of coils and may have burned out the coil? I never smelled any smoke or odors and the issue was there as soon as the new code was installed.
Has anyone else seen any similar issues with the loop gate failing to open?
Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

#2 8 years ago

Help fix this Guys ST!

Strange problem I'm sorry I can't offer insight. I hope you get back to playing soon.

#3 8 years ago

Hey Jeekay, can you confirm what version of the software you are using on your STPRO and if the super skill shot works well? I too have the same 1.61 modded rom but have never used the skill shot so I did not notice until Kronnix pointed it out. I was on the unmodded 1.60 previously. Thanks!

#4 8 years ago

Bump - Can STPRO owners with the latest 1.61 unmodded code, confirm the super skill shot (holding the left flipper) when plunging lifts the gate to complete the orbit?

We need to verify this works, before assuming this is a modded code issue. Thanks for your help pinheads!

#5 8 years ago

I can confirm that it does do that.

#6 8 years ago

My ST pro, holding the left flipper does indeed open the gate for skill shot.

#7 8 years ago

Where can one get this modified code?

#8 8 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. Dagnabbit, looks like I am loading the unmodded 1.61 code back onto my pin to test this feature Could this be related to a fuse issue? I need to dig out the manual and check, because I have not had this functionality on my PIN at all and I have always had a modded 1.50 BIN installed when I got it in a trade.

Update. On modded Bin, I tested the coils 51 and 52 (left and right) but neither seemed to open the gate individually, I had to use cycle coil test to actually see #52 working. So it does appear to be working in diagnostic, just not in the actual game. Interesting.

#9 8 years ago

That's an interesting find. For me it just hums when 52 is active, but the gate stays down. Before the code change the gate would actually lift for me to allow the ball through.

#10 8 years ago

Lift up the playfield and check out the mech. Make sure you can actuate it by hand by moving the solenoid. You may find something mechanically binding that happened coincidentally when you were messing with code. On a B/W gate I've had the spring/mech flipover causing it to no longer work. Perhaps something similar has happened to yours.

#11 8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, but on SST it appears that this mechanism may be magnetic. I can't identify any moving parts aside from the metal gate itself and the short metal pin it hinges on. The coil then sits in a small housing just above this and is about the size of a quarter around and about 1/2" - 1" thick.

There is nothing under or behind the playfield that interacts with this gate.

#12 8 years ago

Ok, this is getting weirder. To make sure, I went to the Stern site and downloaded the 1.61 code for the Pro and flashed it back this AM. In testing the skill shot in game it still does not work. However...

In diagnostic testing of the coils:

#53 Vengeance Ship Coil - testing this actuates the Left Orbit Gate!
#52 Orbit Gate (Right) - actuates the Right Gate as expected
#51 Orbit Gate (Left) - actuates the coil on the Vengeance Ship!

Ok, what the heck is going on here. Can an STPRO user with the latest 1.61 STPRO rom test if they have the same behaviour in the coil diagnostic menu? Could this be a botched fix or mistake made in production? I am going to crack open the manual and try and trace those coil wires to the boards and see if they have been swapped by some wannabe pinball repair dude.

Confirmed, in game, when I hit the left flipper for the skill shot in game, the Vengence Ship coil does actuate! . So I am bit confused here. I am going to flash back to the modded code. If you guys think I am nuts I will be posting a you tube video shortly of this oddity.

#13 8 years ago

1.61 non modded code hear, everything works as it should, in game and in diag. Sound like a wire is wrong at the board or on the pf.

#14 8 years ago

hey Kronnix, I have had a bad head cold this week so my attention to detail is severely lacking. I have gone back to the modded code and have the same issue, I do in fact have crossed wires on coils #53 and #51. For some reason I never noticed this before which speaks to my attention to detail in general (sad). So it appears that my issue with super skill shot is not related to the modded code IMO.

It was a coincidence that we both noticed the skill shot not working at the same time hence we blamed the modded code since that was the common factor.

You may just have a bad coil on #51. I would go with that explanation for now.

I swapped Q51 & Q53 wires on the 6-Transistor driver board and my skill shot and Vengeance ship are working fine now with the modded 1.61 code. Issue resolved on my STPRO.

#15 8 years ago

Thanks for checking on that Paulo and very helpful video. I didn't realize there was a button I needed to press to test the coils (still a noob at this in many ways). Is that the flipper button?

I know my skillshot worked before I put in the modded code as it has been my go-to shot for months now. But I'm trying to determine how/why it fails to correct when we go back to the standard code... However, if just changing a couple of wires around will correct it then this would likely be fine.

The whole thing has been very confusing.

#16 8 years ago

Hey dude, I think the wires being mixed up was unique to my STPRO, I cannot see that being the issue with your PIN especially since it was working fine before for you. This could be a bad mosfat/transistor issue that needs to be replaced for Q51 on the 6-Transistor driver board that controls that coil. Any electronics shop can test and replace it for you if you do not have the soldering skills. You will have to remove the mini board and unplug the IC's to get this fixed. I believe you may also be able to order the board directly from Stern (call your local Stern dealer) and just swap it out. Are you still under warranty?

FYI: To test a coil, you push the black button. You also have to make sure you pull out the coindoor detector (It pops up) so it will turn back on the high power voltage with the coin door open.

STPRO_6_Transistor_Board.jpgSTPRO_6_Transistor_Board.jpg

#17 8 years ago

Good find. I think your correct and yours was different. I was able to test mine and they all seem to be working normally except for the left gate. I will look at testing and replacing that transistor or seeing if Stern will send me what I need.

1 week later
#18 8 years ago

Just wanted to update this thread. It was the coil. Stern was nice enough to send me a new one under warranty.

Be warned: The old coil was a real B##### to remove from the metal housing. I eventually had to cut the long screw from the top to get it out. But the new one went in without issue.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

#19 8 years ago

That same coil just went for me too. But no warranty - have to wait weeks before it goes to Marco, then shipped to me. Bogus

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-pro-loop-gate-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.