• Star Trek 97 votes
    72%

(134 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6505 (resized).JPG
IMG_2572 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

New to the hobby. Which pin would be better?

#2 6 years ago

Both are fun games. Play both and see which one YOU like better. Code was never really finished on ST, and GB has some complaints from owners about cheap drains.

Some would suggest that if you're going to pay that kind of money anyway, you should hold on to your cash until the Star Wars reveal to see how that is. (And by that, I mean that I would suggest that.)

#3 6 years ago

I have both... I wish I could give you a clear cut answer but I'll try to share my observations..

Sitting next to Ghostbusters, Star Trek looks pretty bland in the artwork department. The hand drawn artwork on GB versus the photoshop generic Star Trek really puts Star Trek in an unflattering light.

Ghostbusters sound quality is better. I think Star Treks stock back glass is disappointing for the pro and premium models but I'm fortunate to have found an Aurich back glass before he had to stop making them.

GB feels faster, I think makes me a more aggressive player and reinforces the need for ball control.

Star Trek is more forgiving but can still be a challenge to complete all of the objectives.

Seems like guests and new-to-pinball types enjoy Star Trek more, it is more rewarding and has fewer cheap drains.

Before my GB Premium arrived I didn't think my Star Trek would ever find another home. Though, having both I've recently toyed around with the idea of selling Star Trek to make room for something else, then I press start and play a game and end up with "nah, Star Trek stays."

Both good games, for me on theme and art if I could have only one - GB wins. On gameplay Star Trek makes up a lot of ground though - it's hella fun and the light show is pretty awesome.

IMG_2572 (resized).JPGIMG_2572 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

I own Ghostbusters LE and Star Trek LE.

No questions asked, go for the Star Trek Premium.

If I were in a position where I had to sell one of my games, Ghostbusters would be the first to go. Star Trek is playable out of the box...Ghostbusters is not.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from slashfive:

New to the hobby.

Star Trek is the friendlier and more approachable game for someone new to the hobby. The light show on ST Premium is the best I've seen in pinball, to this day.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from slashfive:

New to the hobby. Which pin would be better?

Star Trek. GB will make you hate pinball. We want your first experience to be fun!!!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Star Trek. GB will make you hate pinball. We want your first experience to be fun!!!

I second this answer!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Radrog:

I second this answer!

I third that answer

#9 6 years ago

Gosh, 17 votes in favor of Star Trek, only 3 for GB. This is an absolute run away!

#10 6 years ago

Even if you love the Ghostbusters film and aren't a trekkie... go with Star Trek.

#11 6 years ago

I have both..... Star Trek is a better game for people getting into the hobby. Ghostbusters I'd only recommend if you have other machines and looking for a challenge and something different. If possible, try playing both and decide for yourself.

#12 6 years ago

Star Trek and it's not even close

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

I have both..... Star Trek is a better game for people getting into the hobby. Ghostbusters I'd only recommend if you have other machines and looking for a challenge and something different. If possible, try playing both and decide for yourself.

I second this answer.

#14 6 years ago

Not a star trek fan by any means and I am a Ghostbusters fan but when it come to pinball Star Trek ALL THE WAY!!!!

#15 6 years ago

This one's a layup. ST is a better table.

Owned Star Trek - miss it.
Almost bought a loaded HUO GB Premium south of $6,800...passed..no regrets.

#16 6 years ago

I vote ST

I own it and love it. GB looks cool but not
my cup of tea. If it was I would buy it.
Played GB many times.

#17 6 years ago

I own both as well.My ST/PRe has been fully modded and I have to agree with Radrog!! GB is harder to play,However,to be fair,The Storage facility rupture multyball on GB is real crazy!! Have fun!!

#18 6 years ago

star trek all the way, play much better, the design actually make sense.

#19 6 years ago

AND,by the way,Beatmaster here makes the best mod on ST!!!IMHO!!!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Gosh, 17 votes in favor of Star Trek, only 3 for GB. This is an absolute run away!

If you did this Poll six months ago it would be complete opposite. In short,the honeymoon is over.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If you did this Poll six months ago it would be complete opposite. In short,the honeymoon is over.

Yep, I expect Ghostbusters to fall out of the top 50 over the next couple months.

#22 6 years ago

Thanks for all of the opinions! I appreciate it!

2 weeks later
#23 6 years ago

Did you choose st pro? Im in same situation. Love playing gb le.
Have tryed st le. Was awesome.
Thinking about buying st pro

#24 6 years ago

Can't go wrong with either because they are both amazing games. I personally like GB better but you being new to the hobby I would probably tell you to get ST because it's easier and you will have more fun probably. Both games are keepers for life IMO. I don't like anything Star Trek but I'd love to own a ST pinball machine. The best answer I can give you is to go somewhere and play both games and decide for yourself if that's possible.

#25 6 years ago

What about Star Trek Premium versus AFMr ? I am considering one or the other.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

ST Premium

#27 6 years ago

ST Pro was my first pin purchase. Great game. I have had GB LE for almost a year now and it is still really fun for me. I don't think you can go wrong with either. The art and music / sounds are superior on GB. Stern Star Trek is a much easier game, and more predictable.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

ST Premium all the way. ST is one of the greatest flowing pins of all time and the light show is vastly better than AFM (obviously, I can't speak for the light show on AFMr, but I imagine it will be pretty similar...). ST also has VASTLY deeper rules and more complexity.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yep, I expect Ghostbusters to fall out of the top 50 over the next couple months.

Uh....no.

1 week later
#30 6 years ago

Any update on the game you have choosen?

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

AFM is an A+ game - ST is an A- game IMO.

#32 6 years ago

Both gb pro and st pro can be bought nib today. In 6 months, what will there value bee?

If i dont want to keep my nib pin, and wanna sell in maby 6 months. As it looks now, will i loose most on a st pro?

#33 6 years ago

I'm stuck with trying to decide between Star Trek, Metallica or AFMr. I go back and forth between all machines. Then it opens up the le or premium debate if it falls on the AFMr.
I do like the Ghostbusters, it just a very hard game. He others are not nearly as frustrating IMHO. If I'm going to spend that kind of money... I need something that will satisfies my level of newbie game play.

#34 6 years ago

You can't really go wrong with either of those three. I have ST and MET and AFMr is incoming soon I hope. I can't see any leaving for a long time.

By far the best value is a Met pro... it can definitely be pretty brutal, but it also has a ton of depth to it once your skills improve. If you're looking to "get better" I highly recommend it. Just be prepared for it to kick your butt for a while

#35 6 years ago

I almost went though a similar decision, for me it was between Metallica Pro or Ghostbusters Pro,,, Man am i glad I got Metallica, I love it!! Never gets old, and all my friends (who rarely play) can easily jump in and have a blast.... Ghostbusters looks and sounds amazing... but its BRUTAL!

#36 6 years ago

I just picked up a GB premium last night and it came with a bunch of additional mods already installed - topper, rails, mods, etc... One of them was a center drain post, which I thought I might remove. After playing 25 games or so on it, I decided to leave it. For the casual player, I just think it's a lot more fun when you can progress through the game. That post saves at least 1 ball every game. Gives us noobs a fighting chance.

IMG_6505 (resized).JPGIMG_6505 (resized).JPG

#37 6 years ago

This happens to be the last 2 pins I've bought. I love them both, but for very different reasons. GB Prem pisses me off because its so hard, and I have so many SDTM drains, but dang the game is so much fun, I love the call outs, music, everything about it.

STLE is probably the most beautiful light show and pin I've ever owned. Its also a ton of fun, but no where near as hard as GB. So I probably have 10x the total plays on GB as I have on my STLE, even though I got them within 6 days of each other.

Can't go wrong with either, and after seeing how cheap Stern went on SWLE, I am convinced the value of STLE should go up now. This SHOULD be a $8000+ pin with all you get with it compared to SWLE

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from slashfive:

I'm stuck with trying to decide between Star Trek, Metallica or AFMr. I go back and forth between all machines. Then it opens up the le or premium debate if it falls on the AFMr.
I do like the Ghostbusters, it just a very hard game. He others are not nearly as frustrating IMHO. If I'm going to spend that kind of money... I need something that will satisfies my level of newbie game play.

Well I have GB Prem, SLTE, and Met Prem in my collection, and you can't go wrong with any of those honestly.

Because its newest, and hardest, I've probably played my GB the most, but I will NEVER move my Met Prem and seriously doubt I'd ever move my STLE either.

#39 6 years ago

Keep in mind, harder isn't a bad thing. It keeps you coming back for more. I have had about 10 great A list pins that after a while, because they were too easy, and ball times got too long, I decided to move on from (Spider-Man, LOTR, Hobbit LE, TSPP first few that come to mind) where GB is so tough, and yes at time frustrating, but when you get that 1 great game, man its like crack, you want to play one more...and one more lol

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Keep in mind, harder isn't a bad thing. It keeps you coming back for more. I have had about 10 great A list pins that after a while, because they were too easy, and ball times got too long, I decided to move on from (Spider-Man, LOTR, Hobbit LE, TSPP first few that come to mind) where GB is so tough, and yes at time frustrating, but when you get that 1 great game, man its like crack, you want to play one more...and one more lol

OMG this makes me drop all my thought about ST Pro and just order a GB Pro right now

#41 6 years ago

Okey, i have played ST LE, OMG its sooo smooth, love it, but its "old" got old transformer in cabinet, old game, mabt used marked cheapper game.

Played GB LE, it kicked my ass, 3 balls 2minutts, BUT i loved the game, really want to try more, and see the modes. GB Pro is new, new system, no more ghosting, playes hard and drains.

I love both games, but need to choose soon, together with my SW LE, so what to order, SW LE+GB pro OR SW LE+ST pro?? and why!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 49.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-or-ghostbusters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.