(Topic ID: 102787)

Star Trek: New original translite + decals (new run)

By Aurich

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Star Trek Shooter Rod 004.JPG
Star Trek Speaker Panel 002.JPG
DSC06255_sm.JPG
st.jpg
20150310_213512.jpg
DSC00927.JPG
DSC00867.JPG
DSC00893.JPG
DSC00858.JPG
DSC00958.JPG
DSC00868.JPG
DSC00963.JPG
DSC00888.JPG
DSC00881.JPG
DSC00920.JPG
DSC00866.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#47 9 years ago

At least I was able to preorder one of the awesome things revealed today!

This is beautiful Aurich...absolutely beautiful. I will no longer have Enterprise envy. Outstanding work! I'm really looking forward to seeing it in person!

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Hate the simple black look of my premium speaker panel, so signed up for the Decals,Speaker decal and cards, great work Aurich!

I'm a little torn as I do like the subtle Starfleet emblem pattern on the speaker panel, but Aurich's looks so freaking good. I ordered the whole enchilada and will decide for sure once it shows up. Even if I don't use it, it will be well worth the extra money just for those SWEET apron decals! I also love the tournament button plug....can't wait to fix that eyesore!

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I forget who asked me if I could do that now, sorry, but it was a fun idea, so thank you. That's been my favorite part about this project, going all out to really tie every piece of the machine together. It should feel factory when you install it all. Even down to the coin reject labels!

eject.jpg 34 KB

I may have been the first to suggest it as those ugly plugs have always been an annoyance to me. Using the Federation symbol was a great idea! So thank you! Now please make me one for X-Men and Avengers! LOL

Loving the eject labels too! Can't wait to dress up my machine. It's in a million pieces right now. I started pulling it apart to put plastic protectors in and wax it and before I knew it I had pretty much everything stripped and no good pics taken. Oops! Hopefully I'll get it back together before the new goodies show up, LOL!

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I know some people wanted some kind of space battle, and I get that, it just wasn't the vibe I was going for. Didn't feel classic Trek enough for me. I needed that 5 year mission feel, out in space, exploring and doing that whole "where no one has gone before" deal. But I knew I needed a little more action and drama than just "watch the ship go by". The asteroids provided a little danger and dynamic feel.
Some people don't care for how that front one goes over the text, and I hear that too. To me it's just more visually interesting and creates more depth. I really like it when designs break the plane like that. I originally tried creating a frame for the Enterprise to be flying out of, but it was just too claustrophobic, didn't work.
Honestly my biggest concern was ending up looking too much like the LE backglass. That's why I decided to show the ship from the underside, just to make sure it would visually differentiate itself immediately, even though we have similar elements. Ship with a planet in space, natural stuff, but easy to feel derivative. That angle from below just naturally lent itself to the asteroids, it's like the ship is almost straining upwards against the storm as they cascade down.
My hope is that people who buy this really enjoy it, but also that it still feels right and good in a few years. Another movie comes out, but your pin still looks good and not dated.

Honestly man...I think you really nailed it. There is a tiny part of me that wishes it featured the Vengeance along with the Enterprise (to go with the "Vengeance Edition" theme of the premium), but I get what you were going for and am glad it turned out the way it did. I love the asteroids and am a big fan of the 3D effect of going over the text. Nice touch in my book, not sure why some people don't like that but to each their own. I love the depth it adds. Sure, overall the art has the same vibe as the LE, but that's a good thing and is what I was missing most from the LE. While I love that backglass, I like your art even better. Now if you could find a way to mirror it, it wouldn't even be a contest, LOL! I was very lucky to be able to get my premium even though I REALLY wanted an LE. I just couldn't swing that price difference. Your translite is going to bridge that gap for me. Now the only thing I wish I had is the cut/lit side-rails, but even then I like my red better than the blue, so that's a wash.

Do not let any of the critics get you down...there are many of us who really appreciate what you did here and are greatly looking forward to dressing up our machines! Great work!

#133 9 years ago

Oh wow. I was impressed before. Now I'm blown away! I was a little unsure of how it would look with the red of the premium, but I was obviously worried about nothing. AWESOME!

#176 9 years ago

I am so completely in love with the ship art on the cards. So in love.

4 weeks later
#344 9 years ago

Got mine but unfortunately lots to do around here before I can install. Hopefully later today or tomorrow...

Also picked up a shiny new repro backglass for Blackout at Expo, so it will be like two brand new games down there! Woo!

#381 9 years ago

Yea...right now it is Boldy Go.

#394 9 years ago

I just wanted to throw a quick warning out to everyone. For the love of all that is holy, do not attempt to clean the translite with windex or other chemicals. I guess instructions were included in the packages, that unfortunately were missing from my package, which would have warned against this. I had some adhesive stay on the translite when I peeled off the protective plastic layer, and that led to some nasty fingerprints. I unknowingly and stupidly grabbed the Windex to try cleaning it up. Long story short, the chemical ate into the picture and I completely ruined my translite. Thankfully Aurich is being very understanding and we'll work something out I'm sure. I don't know if my package had some heat applied to it during transport which made the adhesive stick to the translite or what, but it went from bad to worse to utter disaster real quick. So make sure you read those instructions and keep your translites beautiful!

#422 9 years ago
Quoted from dug:

You can carefully work the protective film off without touching the top side of the translite. Just take your time.There was no sticky residue left behind after I removed the old sticker. Came off pretty easy and in one piece.

How did you manage to get the film off without touching the top side? I'm still thinking mine must have had an issue as that sucker was on there good and left a fair amount of residue when I peeled it off. Without a firm grip on it, I don't see how I would have gotten it off. I thought I was going to rip it trying to get it off at one point...

Hoping to get some tips so I don't hose up my replacment!

#431 9 years ago
Quoted from PWhiz:

Yeah I used a pair of cotton gloves when removing the film. I went slow and it did take a bit of effort to remove. It didn't leave any residue though. I cleaned and thoroughly dried both sides of the translite glass before putting it in.

And the gloves didn't leave any fuzzys stuck on the translite? That's my biggest concern with how my first one acted.

3 months later
#657 9 years ago

Aurich...now that I have sold my Star Trek the biggest thing I miss is walking downstairs and seeing your translite. Any chance that you would consider making the artwork available in a poster or lithograph form? It's so sweet people without the machine should be able to enjoy it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-new-original-translite-decals?tu=jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.