(Topic ID: 102787)

Star Trek: New original translite + decals (new run)

By Aurich

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Star Trek Shooter Rod 004.JPG
Star Trek Speaker Panel 002.JPG
DSC06255_sm.JPG
st.jpg
20150310_213512.jpg
DSC00927.JPG
DSC00867.JPG
DSC00893.JPG
DSC00858.JPG
DSC00958.JPG
DSC00868.JPG
DSC00963.JPG
DSC00888.JPG
DSC00881.JPG
DSC00920.JPG
DSC00866.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 9 years ago

I know I teased this one for a while, sorry it took so long to get it all together finally, it turned into a big project and was a lot of work (but fun!). I'm happy to announce I've got the designs done for my Star Trek alt translite and decal package, I've had test prints done, I'm happy with them, and I'm ready to see what people think of it.

I wanted to lose the actors and just focus on the ship in space. And not some wrong ship from another movie or TV show, or a video game, the Enterprise from the new films that goes with the story. This is a 100% original digital painting, no film stills or movie posters or anything used to create it.

The translite is printed the same way as my Shadow and Helen ones, same quality, lights up beautiful. Hundreds of people on Pinside will vouch for them.

The decals are thicker than what I used for AC/DC, with a lamination layer to help them be more robust and nice and glossy. They give enough to make installing the speaker panel easy, you can peel it back to reposition and smooth out bubbles, but in my tests they stick to the Pro-style wrinkled apron material fine.

My original plan was to just sell the whole thing as a package, keep it easy for me, but I thought maybe LE people might like the decals, or some people might not want them at all, so when you pre-order I'm giving you the option to pick how you want it, and that will give me my printing numbers. I'll probably ship the whole package orders first, and then the people who wanted to break it down afterwards.

As always, pre-order is just your verbal commitment to buy, no money down. Once they're printed based on interest I'll email everyone with payment instructions and then mail them out Two Day Priority or Priority International. I'll keep pre-orders open for a couple weeks or so, and then do the first print run. If there's still interest I can do more runs.

On to the pics!

First up, the translite:

Click to view high rez imageClick to view high rez image

Then the decal package, which consists of:

- Speaker panel decal
- Apron decals (triangles, middle, and shooter lane)
- Coin door decak
- Coin reject labels (peel decals, stick to paper, and cut out)
- Tournament button plug cover decal (red and blue versions depending on Pro/Premium/LE)
- Spinner decals
- Shooter housing

Click to view high rez image. DMD and speaker grills simulated for effect, actual decal has holes cut out obviously.Click to view high rez image. DMD and speaker grills simulated for effect, actual decal has holes cut out obviously.

I will also be including instruction cards, I'm still finalizing the designs to reflect the new rules. I'll post updates to them in this thread.

-----------

Order details

The full package (translite + decals + cards) is $175 shipped in the US. Likely $205 international, but I need to weigh things still, I'll make it cheaper if I can. Shipping big boxes is expensive!

Translite + cards w/o decals is $125 shipped in the US. $150 shipped international.

Decals + cards w/o translite: Likely around $50 shipped in the US, will verify and check international prices too. Need to weigh and figure out package size still. Call that ballpark for now. I'll edit with final prices after I figure them out.
----------

To pre-order fill out the form here (don't PM me! use the form for my sanity): http://www.aurichlawson.com/startrek/pre-order.html

(That form fills out a Google spreadsheet with your pinside name, email, and package. You won't get an email confirmation, but I will email you when your order is ready, have no fear.)

#2 9 years ago

Post updated to include instruction cards, these will be printed as part of the package:

Star-Trek-Card-2.jpgStar-Trek-Card-2.jpg
Star-Trek-Card-1.jpgStar-Trek-Card-1.jpg

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Looks great Aurich!! Love the colors and the "old skool" feel. You are the man!

Thanks! I didn't want to clutter up the first post, but you totally got what I was going for. I wanted the new ship, modern movies, but with an old school feel, something that fans of the original Star Trek series would dig. Hopefully it bridges the two worlds a little, and makes it a little more classic and less likely to get dated too fast.

There's a movie poster for the first Star Trek movie with a kind of rainbow glow on it that I was thinking of when I did the meteor trails (and some artistic license with how they're almost burning up in space!). That and the color changing LEDs on the playfield, I wanted to capture some of that too. Without obviously going too WOZ "over the rainbow" feeling.

#6 9 years ago

Oh, I should probably explain the shooter housing. It goes inside the black metal housing where the shooter rod goes through. You have to remove your rod, slide the decal with a precut hole on, then put the rod back. I haven't seen anyone try that before, but it looks really cool.

I'll be updating with install photos.

#14 9 years ago

Derp, kinda rushed the post slightly when I realized I had to get my girls from school, and I forgot to put the pic of the apron decals in!

Oversight fixed! Triangle, middle, and shooter lane decals added to first post. For the lazy who don't want to scroll up:

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Well done aurich! I'll probably want some of the decals and instruction cards for my LE. No need for the speaker panel I would think, but maybe? I'll talk with ya about it as things move further along.

Yeah, that's the only downside to this setup, the speaker panel is part of the decal set. I'm using the whole sheet super efficiently, I have decals and instructions nestled in the holes for the speakers and DMD area even.

So LE people kinda get the whole thing as a package, even if they opt to skip the speaker decal. You mirrored backglass Enterprise folk aren't gonna make me feel bad for you though.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Very nice Aurich.
Is it possible to get a LE package? I'd like to get everything from the apron decals on down.

See the post I just made above about how the decals are laid out.

No real way to do a just LE version in a cost effective way I don't think. These decals are expensive to print because they're laminated, so it adds another material layer to the print process. Trying to keep it all in one run.

Maybe if I got a ton of pre-orders for just decals I could look at it, that is assuming no one who's doing that is a Premium or Pro owner who just doesn't want the translite. So it's tricky.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Nice job , I don't own a ST, just wanted to give you props . It's good to have you in the pinside / pinball community. I hope you never burnout on these projects .

Thanks! I appreciate it.

I will admit that handling all the orders and taping up boxes and printing address labels and shipping and all that jazz can get a little into burnout territory sometimes, it can be a second job some nights and weekends.

But the actual art and making people happy and the whole Pinside interaction is great, it's not a burnout deal, more like a creative outlet that I'm always looking for. I'm the kind of person who needs to have a side project of some kind cooking to stay sane, so I'll keep doing these as long as the order part doesn't kill me.

I was waiting to see if Walking Dead would need a comic translite, but I'm kinda thinking no now that the art has been revealed. It was really only a viable option if they did a cheesy actor translite, but Stern zombied it up nicely, I think there's no need.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

Curious if this is licensed?

Nope, I don't think I could get a license for a little community project like this, it's just a handful of orders on a forum, doubt anyone even wants to talk to me about such a small potatoes deal. I just do them for Pinside, and hopefully no one cares at some big studio. It's original art, so I'm not stealing anything from the movies, but you're right, it is their trademark. I'd respect a C&D if they sent me one of course.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

Wow! Just...WOW! Very nicely done. The only suggestion I'd make is on the translight. Personally, I'd rather see the whole U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 spelled out, with the asteroid in back. I like the 3 dimensional aspect that it gives being in the front, but my preference would be in back.

Fair enough! One thing I can say is the 3D effect is much more effective in person. The ship really floats in space when you see the layers of interaction. In fact I'd say that's true with this design in general, people who got a sneak peek at the art early and then were able to see the test print on my Premium lit up have all said it's better in person than what I emailed them.

Maybe it's the scale, the Enterprise just feels better when it's big and in your face instead of on a computer screen.

I'm blessed to have a printer who can make this happen, often the printed product isn't as nice as the on screen pixels, but these RGB photographic translites really capture the color and detail beautifully, I'm super pleased with the end result. He's the man and I tell him so, true partner in making these projects come to life.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Aurich, that's absolutely stunning. Well done! I'd love to see what you could do with Tron, Metallica, ACDC (unless you already did takes on them).

Metallica I don't think I'll touch. Dirty Donny really did a whole package. I have some issues with his art, but really he did a nice job, it all fits together into a cohesive feel. It wouldn't feel right to break that. Plus the band is involved in pinball and I doubt I could do it under the radar, and getting permission sounds highly unlikely.

My take on AC/DC is here.

Tron ... between the 3D translite and people loving the 'two chicks' one I doubt there's much demand. It might be fun to do a decal package for it. The stock ones are low rez and the speaker panel is boring. Those panels aren't the best for decals though.

That's one thing I really like about Stern's new design, Mustang and Star Trek had zzzzzzz decals on them (at least Star Trek has an option to fix that now!) but they're doing full color art for all the new ones, and that's great. I could still do alternates for them for fun I guess, but it's nice to see more art on pins, they don't need fixing really.

I think I could do Iron Man's speaker decal better maybe, I wish they'd made the panel feel more like his armor. And the apron decals have that big ugly warning, I could replace them with new clean ones and do a coin door sticker etc. You see how my mind is whirring here ... ?

#43 9 years ago

By the way, I have a test print speaker decal and translite on my Premium right now, along with some of the others, like the apron and coin door. I've made some little changes to them (reflected in the designs in the first post, those are final) so once I get the new prints with final designs I'll install them and take real world photos with my DSLR so you can see them installed in the real world.

I've already tested peeling my new decals back and reapplying them, so fixing an air bubble is easy. Same with the stock decals, I've taken them off and put them back on, and you can store them on the backs for the new decals, they're all the exact same size.

The Helen apron decals were never designed for aprons, they were a bonus I was able to print with the playfield decal, which needed to be thin and with light adhesive. These new ones should stick better to wrinkled aprons, and they're thicker and stiffer with the lamination, so that will help them not want to curl up in the first place.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

any chance that you can get it all on the machine and take some pics of it?

Yes, for sure, I'm just waiting for the final prints. The tests I got today have had a few things changed, and it wasn't the complete set. I was mainly checking for color, how the lamination worked, that the speaker panel fit, etc.

Once I get the final ones in I'll do a photo shoot of them installed on my Premium. I'm waiting for the final translite print too, the test was really close, but it revealed a few things I wanted to tweak (which are all reflected in the image in the first post, that's final).

#59 9 years ago

Until I get real photos here's a mockup of the shooter housing since it might not be clear from the decals how it's installed:

housing.jpghousing.jpg

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

Nice Job!!! Joined the list. Cant wait for the email for my Helen items coming up.
Thanks

I have the Helen stuff in stock now, got them yesterday with the decals. I just need to go through them, make sure I have the right # etc, and then I'll shoot out the message to my list. So probably today.

#62 9 years ago

Some good news: I'm working with the fine folks at Pinball Refinery to have a custom LED board made for the translite. It lights just fine with the stock Stern tube, but I'm pretty excited to see what they come up with to help it really pop.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I also love the tournament button plug....can't wait to fix that eyesore!

I forget who asked me if I could do that now, sorry, but it was a fun idea, so thank you. That's been my favorite part about this project, going all out to really tie every piece of the machine together. It should feel factory when you install it all. Even down to the coin reject labels!

eject.jpgeject.jpg

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Aurich, can you put up a shot of the translight in your machine? I have a premium and trying to visualize how it looks and matches the cab.

Yeah, I was going to wait until I got the final print, but I can see if I can't take a decent photo with the test print. It's close enough, I just adjusted some colors and minor tweaks after seeing it printed.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Looks great. DId you solve the apron curling issue with the decals?

I think so. The problem with the AC/DC apron decals is they were a bonus idea on the decal sheet, the main focus was the playfield face cover. So I needed my decals to be as thin as possible, and able to be peeled up. That didn't work as well with some of the rough textured aprons.

This time I'm not putting anything on the playfield, so I'm laminating them for a thicker, stiffer application. So even without adhesive they should lie flat, and not curl.

I've got test prints installed on my apron, shooter lane, coin door, and speaker panel right now, in my garage which can get pretty warm. So far so good.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Just wondering if any parts of the decals light up under black light. Be bad ass if they did.

They weren't specifically designed as such, they don't have any special UV sensitive ink or anything. The colors pop pretty nicely in person, so it's possible they'd fluoresce some under a black light, but I don't have one handy to test with. I have some UV LEDs, but honestly they're pretty weak, not enough to really test with.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

starting to work on my backbox lighting kit, all i need is the new translite so i know where to install my flashing kit, gonna try to do something special behind the trusters ship.
aurich can you give us a little preview on the instructions cards?

I'm finishing up one of the cards right now. Let me get a sense for how the second one will work out and then I'll post some kind of in progress.

As for rolling your own backbox lighting kit, if you don't want to have Pinball Refinery do one for you (and I'll post up more on that when they have a chance to finish it, soon) here are the dimensions, you can use them to map out all the positions:

Click to enlargeClick to enlarge

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

Hi Aurich, as I did for AC/DC, I ordered your entire ST package, but just realized that differently than AC/DC you didn't have the instruction cards included. When you produce the instruction cards, would they be a separate order?, or would they be included in our current order?

Yes, printed cards will be included with your order. I just haven't finished them yet, I didn't want to start on them until the new code was out so I'm still working. I'll have them done and the files to the printer by the time I put the first orders in.

I'll make sure when it's time to pay that it's clear that they're included, and will post the images in that reserved second post on page one when they're done.

Here's an in progress look at one of them, subject to change as I do the other and see how everything fits etc. If anyone spots a rule mistake let me know!

card-draft1.jpgcard-draft1.jpg

#98 9 years ago

I really can't break up the decals, they're printed all together, it's the only cost effective way to do it. You're free of course to only install the ones you want, and once you see them you can decide.

I know that for instance the LE people probably won't want the speaker decal, but there's just not a practical way to do a ton of different options. That said, maybe you could work something out with someone with an LE who doesn't want theirs?

#101 9 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

The instruction card looks great, too. A few suggestions:

Thanks, those are helpful, I want this to be a clear cheat sheet people can refer to. And I have no idea what happened to that "the", I'll fix that.

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Please do something for Iron Man. Shooter rod decal, speaker panel decal, coin door decals.....I couldn't throw my money at you fast enough. Great work sir!

lol, you're the resident Iron Man mod buyer. I'll definitely consider it once I catch my breath.

#108 9 years ago

lol, I honestly don't know what else I could have done for the LE. It's hard, you guys already got so many extra toys!

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from TheBigShow:

Looks great. I'm in. Any chance of making some inner cabinet side decals, you know where mirror blades are fitted?
Same question for you fabulous Helen kit? Sorry if I've missed this somewhere.

I don't have any plans at the moment for that, it seems like there's already a pretty good thriving market for them for people who like that kind of stuff. I haven't seen the PinGraffix Star Trek ones in person, but they look like they'd probably match up pretty good with my art.

To be honest I've never tried installing mirror blades or inner art. I have a set for my Tron that I've just never bothered to put in. Maybe I should try and see if the idea appeals to me. I like to open my machines, so I guess I'm nervous about scratching the shit out of anything on the inside.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I was really half kidding with you. Extra toys? are we looking at the same game?
Baked Potatoes don't count.
I imagine - if I understand the process correctly; adding the smaller items to the "end" of the roll of material shouldn't be that hard,

Well I have a Premium, same playfield as you, so I was really talking about the mirrored backglass, the side phaser LEDs, the side emblems, the metal speaker panel with emblem speaker holes and lights behind them. Just not much room to add or replace things. My Premium speaker panel is super boring, I'm way happier with color art on it now.

So the way these are printed is really maximized for efficiency, I even printed tips and instructions in the space where the DMD hole is cut out. Then they're ganged up on big sheets. So really there's no easy way to not do the speaker panel with everything.

If I had a ton of orders from just LE people I'm sure I could figure something out, but the material costs on this are higher than AC/DC because we're doing a lamination layer over everything, so I need to have enough volume to make the costs make sense.

This is all very small hobby level stuff just for Pinsiders, not a big commercial operation or anything.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is there any way you could make these so they could be lit from behind with el paper? My Avatar LE looks great. Are you just going with a picture on the other card?

I won't be making them so they can be backlit myself, but I will happily share my high rez files for people to print themselves. So if you want try and print it on some kind of transparent paper you can. If Pinball Refinery or someone wants to make a kit I'll give them permission to use my files. All I would want is that they ask me first.

It's just too niche of an application to try and make it a product, I don't have the bandwidth, it's more of an individual mod kind of idea. Sounds cool, I'd love to see someone try it.

And no, I'm not going with just a picture on the other card, I want to cover more rules. Just like I did with AC/DC, the left card was the jukebox reference for all the shots, this one has all the mode stuff in a similar way, and the other card will have the more basic rules, with some piece of anchor art probably. I have to see how much room I have after I work out the text.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

Yup, I think it will help a lot in that regard.
Also, if I'm being really picky, I believe "3 Deep Shot" should be hyphenated as "3-Deep Shot" (like "3-point shot")

lol, good call. I like really picky, I don't mind being edited at all, it's good to have someone else read your copy.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Wow. I take back my joking Boycott demand.
Is this offer for just the cards, the whole kit, or the small pieces?

Just the cards, I did the same thing with my Helen cards, uploaded them so people could print their own without ordering my kit. I'll still include them printed for everyone who orders of course.

I'll post more work in progress when I get something going on the other card.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I would maybe be in for a translite, but would like the option of one without the rocks...
Rob

There will only be one version printed, there will never be one without the asteroids, sorry.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from Force951:

I am considering ordering this, just want to see some installed pics to make sure. Any idea when you will have those pics?

I won't do install pics until I get the final prints of the decals and translite, I'd rather show the real thing in photos then test prints that have things I adjusted. All the files are with my printer, so I just need to wait until he can run them off and send them to me. I don't have an estimate for that now other than "soon".

My plan is to keep pre-orders open until that point, then I'll take the install pics so everyone can see the real product, and then I'll do a "last call" for this run, and put in the print order. So you could pre-order right this moment, or you could wait until after you see photos, and it won't make a difference. In other words, no problem!

I'll do another run for the next batch of people if there is still interest. So if you're not ready or want to get reports from other people first or whatever then don't stress it.

As always my goal is for people to be happy. That's what motivates me to keep doing these. I appreciate every single comment people make, it means a lot.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from Force951:

I am considering ordering this, just want to see some installed pics to make sure. Any idea when you will have those pics?

Alternately, I just noticed where you are, if you're really uncertain and want to hop in the car for a little drive you're welcome to come out and see them in person, and play a little pinball. You're about an hour away from me. My in-laws live in Upland, I drive out that way all the time.

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I was admittedly hoping for a battle scene with phaser fire and something blowing up

But, the asteroid idea is a good one and fits with the playfield and it looks good. Great work!

I know some people wanted some kind of space battle, and I get that, it just wasn't the vibe I was going for. Didn't feel classic Trek enough for me. I needed that 5 year mission feel, out in space, exploring and doing that whole "where no one has gone before" deal. But I knew I needed a little more action and drama than just "watch the ship go by". The asteroids provided a little danger and dynamic feel.

Some people don't care for how that front one goes over the text, and I hear that too. To me it's just more visually interesting and creates more depth. I really like it when designs break the plane like that. I originally tried creating a frame for the Enterprise to be flying out of, but it was just too claustrophobic, didn't work.

Honestly my biggest concern was ending up looking too much like the LE backglass. That's why I decided to show the ship from the underside, just to make sure it would visually differentiate itself immediately, even though we have similar elements. Ship with a planet in space, natural stuff, but easy to feel derivative. That angle from below just naturally lent itself to the asteroids, it's like the ship is almost straining upwards against the storm as they cascade down.

My hope is that people who buy this really enjoy it, but also that it still feels right and good in a few years. Another movie comes out, but your pin still looks good and not dated.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Now if you could find a way to mirror it, it wouldn't even be a contest, LOL!

Oh man. I've actually tried to look into that, but I haven't made any real progress. It's some niche stuff, I gotta find the right contacts. That's my goal though, to someday do a mirrored backglass. Would be a giant headache I'm sure, but so damn cool.

Quoted from Jediturtle:

Do not let any of the critics get you down...there are many of us who really appreciate what you did here and are greatly looking forward to dressing up our machines! Great work!

Are you kidding? You guys are blowing up my ego like there's no tomorrow. I'm gonna start posting while wearing a cap and a Burger King crown! The response has been awesome, I appreciate all the positive comments, and anyone who's had criticisms, thank you, your input is just as welcome.

#128 9 years ago

Packing supplies arrived! Gonna try and use tubes for the decal-only people, see how that works.

#130 9 years ago

I got the final prints, so as promised here are the photos of things installed on my Premium. I'm still finishing the last rule card, and then I'm going to put in the order for everyone on the list. Don't know how long I'll keep running these, I want this to stay a small community project for the love of the game and the theme, don't want to step on Paramount's toes too much, and of course as always these are only available on Pinside.

It's tough to photograph backlit sources, so these photos aren't quite representative of what it looks like in real life, but close enough. The blue on the engine nacelles especially seems to be washing out.

If anyone who pre-ordered just the translite wants the decals after seeing them installed just PM me.

Click to enlarge all the images.

3-quarter.jpg3-quarter.jpg
cabinet-front.jpgcabinet-front.jpg
translite+panel.jpgtranslite+panel.jpg
The trifecta!The trifecta!
The shooter housing up closeThe shooter housing up close
Tournament plug (also comes in blue)Tournament plug (also comes in blue)
The spinner looks green because of the yellow insert shining on the blueThe spinner looks green because of the yellow insert shining on the blue
A close up crop of the new decals vs stock to show the print quality differenceA close up crop of the new decals vs stock to show the print quality difference

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I was a little unsure of how it would look with the red of the premium, but I was obviously worried about nothing.

I really did my best to make it work on both the Premium and Pro (and the LE for any parts of the decals people want to use). The Premium cabinet has a lot of blue and purple, so I was able to key off that safely while working with the Pro blue.

I'm looking forward to seeing it installed on a Pro, only person I know with one has a Refinery edition, so it's got blue armor and is more like the LE.

Quoted from Roo:

Where'd you get that keychain? I've been looking for a simple one like that but the only ones I find online are overpriced metal ones that apparently break easily.

It's in the goodie bag that comes with the game. I'm not from the "leave it stapled in place and never open it" school. My game didn't come with one though actually, I had to have my distributor get one from Stern for me. Thanks Gio!

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

um, that looks awesome. is it to late to change my order from just a translate to that and the stickers?

No problem, it's all just a spreadsheet, I updated yours, you're all set.

Quoted from John_I:

How much longer for the Instruction and Free Play cards?

ASAP, I've got one done, just haven't had time to do the other yet. That's the last puzzle piece now, so I'll try and bang it out. Been traveling for business, trying to catch up to everything that piled up.

Quoted from kid_ego:

Do I buy a translite now on the off-chance I'll pick up a Pro at some point?

Definitely no pressure, I just don't know how long I'll do these. Want to keep it a small community project so Paramount doesn't get upset with me.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

You DID get my order didn't you? Just making sure because I don't want to miss this one.

Yes sir, you're on the list, I checked to be sure.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

How permanent are the stickers once they are attached, to the speaker panel, and apron mainly.

Not at all. I've already tested this because I peeled off my prototype speaker panel decal to install the final one to take those photos.

They're meant to be able to give a little so they're reposition-able if you get an air bubble or put it on crooked. They're laminated so they shouldn't have issues with curling. Working just fine in my testing.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from PWhiz:

Trans looks awesome and the Pro I recently bought already came with your other alt. As much as I love that one, the more colorful look of this one will go well with the rest of the playfield.

Just to be clear I haven't done any other one for Star Trek. There's one you can get on eBay, that has the wrong ship and a big emblem around it, maybe that's what you mean. That's art stolen from some Star Trek Online game, I had nothing to do with it, and I would expect mine will be higher quality.

Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

love the new shooter housing sticker. is this sticker available for ac/dc? if yes, im gonna have to order one.

Not at the moment, I just came up with the idea for Star Trek. As far as I know I'm the first to try it. I might look at trying new decal sets for other games using some of these ideas if there's interest. AC/DC is tricky, I don't want anyone I already sold decals to to feel like they missed out, or have to buy things again. I dunno, I'll ponder it.

I'm working on the other instruction card right now.

#159 9 years ago

Okay, I think the cards are ready. Made some tweaks to the one I posted before and created a second one with the more basic rules. I'll look them over again tonight, see if anything pops out at me after a break. If anyone spots something that should be more clear or that I missed please let me know!

I uploaded these at full size if anyone wants to print them to try them out. They're at 300 dpi. I'll include printed ones with the packages though as usual.

Star-Trek-Card-2.jpgStar-Trek-Card-2.jpg
Star-Trek-Card-1.jpgStar-Trek-Card-1.jpg

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

would color coding the galactic modes help? Not looking for a box of crayon colors, but darn, I cant commit to memory those galactic modes.... color coding may help to quickly see the mode your in.

If you look to the left of the modes they have a color coded circle. It's subtle, but it felt too rainbow when I made it more blatant. See if that helps. Could maybe balance it more if need be.

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

WOW, would those look sharp back lit with el paper if they were printed for being lit that way. Maybe Pingraffix could do them or the company that printed your tl. I would buy them.

If anyone wants to try it feel free, you have my permission to use the files I posted here, or contact me and I can get you a higher quality version, the Pinside uploads get compressed.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Looks great. Spelling error though: "Photo torpedoes"

Derp! Thanks for the catch! I'll fix that on my file right now.

#177 9 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I am so completely in love with the ship art on the cards. So in love.

Had to get the Vengeance in there somewhere for people.

Just got a package from Pinball Refinery. Updates on that soon. Should be ... illuminating.

#179 9 years ago

Any pics of your apron decals installed?

I took one with those others, but it came out too dark to really see. My garage isn't exactly set up to pour down light onto the pins, I'll have to wait until daylight but I could try again.

As you can see from the others though they really do print pretty close to what they look like on the screen.

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Okay Aurich, I gotta ask... What's next??!! Spill!

I dunno! Honestly. I have a short list of project ideas, but I just go with whatever strikes me as something fun to do. I need to ship this one out and finish the soccer season before I'll have any real time to get into anything.

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

i bet your new speaker panel artwork looks amazing when folks have the light-up speakers.
would be cool to see.

I'd like to see it too! I don't have speaker lights. I did get replica metal badges for my speakers, but I wasn't happy with how they were installing and I haven't gotten around to fixing it.

What I'm really excited about is this Refinery light board I got. I tried to post a pic but the mobile interface won't take it. Lemme try again.

Edit: Nope, must be a new bug. I'll let Robin know, and I can post pics later when I get them onto my computer.

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Any reason the asteroid covers the enterprise lettering and wasn't behind it instead? I think that is the only think I didn't like, but the rest looks great!

Posted this earlier:

Quoted from Aurich:

Some people don't care for how that front one goes over the text, and I hear that too. To me it's just more visually interesting and creates more depth. I really like it when designs break the plane like that. I originally tried creating a frame for the Enterprise to be flying out of, but it was just too claustrophobic, didn't work.

It looks like Pinball Refinery did something for the asteroids on this light board, I'll try and install it tomorrow. If it's all ready (this is a prototype, they're just working off dimensions I gave them) then I'll shoot a video of it in action. Maybe it will change your mind.

#193 9 years ago
Quoted from Duex:

Concerning the cards: I would not call the mutliplier Saucer (for prime directive), please take Vengeance as for the galatic mode.

I'm going off of what was posted in the Galactic Modes thread. If that's not accurate I'd definitely want it to be. Anyone else have a thought on that?

I'll try and investigate.

Quoted from PWhiz:

Ack, my bad! I don't know why I had it in my head that it was your work.

Heh, no worries, just wanted to make sure I was clear so no one was confused. That one basically outright stole someone else's art (and it's not even the right ship) so I'm not really a fan of it.

#194 9 years ago

Any pics of your apron decals installed?

Here you go, snapped an iPhone pic with the apron decals and test prints of the cards.

apron-installed.jpgapron-installed.jpg

#198 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Any idea when these may be shipping? Rough estimate.

I'm taking pre-orders through this weekend and then putting the order in with the printer on Monday.

Generally speaking that means I'm shipping them out maybe 2 weeks after that. So give or take that's what you're looking at. Beginning of October. I can do another run after that if there's demand, just trying to keep this to a small community project so Paramount doesn't feel upset by it.

It will be nice to get rid of the warning decal on the apron.

Right? That was definitely part of the motivation to make decals part of this project, got tired of staring at that text! I guess the Pro machine doesn't have that warning?

#200 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Cool. I pre-ordered but have not received an invoice. I receive somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 emails a day so perhaps I missed it?

You won't have an invoice yet, I don't send them out until the print run is ready, then I'm not sitting on anyone's money for too long. I'll email everyone an update this weekend and explain what's up so you don't have to follow this thread to know the important things.

You're the first person to ever mention Doctor Who as a project. I dunno, I kind of dig what there's already, it matches the game well, and it fits with the theme of all the different doctors. It's hard to imagine really improving that. I generally like to tackle things where something doesn't feel right, or I have an idea that I'm excited to explore.

For Star Trek it was really about not wanting the headshots, I wanted the ship, which is the true star to me. AC/DC was about trying a sexy rock and roll devil deal (which ended up being funny since Stern announce Luci while I was working on it) and Shadow of course was about killing of Alec Baldwin and letting the actual hero take center stage.

I really don't know what's next, I just have to see what strikes me. If I'm not having fun then it's not worth doing.

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Though, while on the subject of back glasses, would it ever be possible, and if so at what price points, to make a real back glass and not just a translight?

I don't know the answer to this one, but I would love to try doing a mirrored backglass. I haven't found a printer who knows how to handle that yet, it's something I need to look into, I just don't have a good lead right now. It's sort of a specialized thing I guess.

I don't think I'd do an Iron Man translite, though it might be fun to do a new decal set, I think the Vault Edition speaker panel could have been better. And then I could get rid of the warning text on the apron decal, do things like the shooter rod housing etc.

#208 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Oh man, if you figured out how to do real mirrored actual back glasses...just take my money!!!

Haha, yeah, it would a ton of fun, I'm a serious fan of mirrored backglasses. It's pretty much the main reason I shelled out extra for METLE. And I bought CPR's EATPM conversion to get the mirroring.

Where's Dug at? He bugs me every time he sees me about this topic!

From what I can tell from other people doing it the cost for mirrored backglasses shipped approaches $300, so not cheap, and I'm not sure about trying to ship them overseas. Definitely more expensive and more headaches. But it would be super sweet to do.

I can tell you it's not happening for this project, if I ever did it then it would be for something where it was designed for mirroring from the beginning.

#211 9 years ago

I'd be all over a new decal set for IM if you did one.

Tron speaker panel decals would be pretty sweet too.

One problem is I'm not really happy with how decals look over the "old" Stern wooden speaker panels. That's definitely one big advantage of the new metal angled panels, they take decals way better.

If I did an Iron Man set I'd probably only do the Vault Edition panel.

#216 9 years ago

As promised in my tease yesterday, here's a video of the Pinball Refinery custom lightboard installed with the translite. Was a breeze to install, took like 15 minutes maybe, with detailed instructions. It's hard to shoot a video, when you seeing things blowing out white it doesn't look anything like that in person, it just lights up nicely. Gives you a sense of how it works though.

My favorite parts are how the planet glows blue when you hit the left saucer, and how some modes make the asteroids pulse red, they really look like they're on fire.

If you want to order one from Gio he put up a page: Pinball Refinery order page

I'll send out an email update to everyone on my list today, and include the video link to for those who aren't following this thread (which means you're not reading this now! )

If you want in on this run though then please put your pre-order in today: http://www.aurichlawson.com/startrek/pre-order.html

#220 9 years ago
Quoted from PWhiz:

^holy mother of the flying spaghetti monster! Click>Buy!

I think that might be the first FSM reference I've seen on Pinside.

#223 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's not.
Man, even in the video that thing looks like it's popping out 3d style...

Yeah, the meteor going over the text really pops nicely when the red light behind it pulses, it's pretty perfect.

Quoted from beatmaster:

pinball refinery did a great job.

Not too bad considering they didn't even have a translite to work with, just the graphic with dimensions overlaid on it!

#224 9 years ago

Okay, I'm going to send out an email update and get the order in for everyone on the list. If you're a last minute person I'll probably have a window where I can still update it, otherwise I can put you down for a possible second run.

I'll get a few extras of everything to be safe too.

#226 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The lens flair behind it looks to me that it's to bright.

It doesn't look like that in person, the camera is just blowing it out. I shot that with my iPhone strapped to a mic stand, it's not bad quality, but it can't really handle the transition to the flashers going off. Overwhelms the sensors.

#230 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

How many led heads in that flasher bulb?

6. Here's the naked board:

IMG_2937.JPGIMG_2937.JPG

#233 9 years ago

The order has been placed with the printer, they're going to try and get to it this week. Now comes the best part, taping up boxes.

#236 9 years ago

I ordered a couple extras, so not too late.

#240 9 years ago

Well if anyone has leads for hunting down a mirrored backglass printer send them my way. I tried to reach out to CPR's guy and he was non responsive. Maybe I should ask Ron Webb, I think his guy has done mirrored glasses, anyone know if that's true?

#246 9 years ago
Quoted from ThatGuy:

I'm super-excited about this and went to your order form but didn't see translite + cards w/o decals since I have a Pinball Refinery apron upgrade. I ordered the complete package anyway but would like translite + cards package. And those instruction cards are killers! Nice job.

That's the translite only option. Cards come with that, but no decals. PM me if you want to work it out.

#249 9 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Nice work!
I did notice a small bug though... On the instruction cards, it says "photo torpedoes". It should probably be "photon torpedoes".

Thanks, someone already caught that typo and I fixed it, I just didn't reupload the cards. I should do that with the final design though.

#251 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

Aurich, anyway you can post a pic of your new translight next to the original? No biggie if you can't. Nice work on it. We have our sights set on a new ST Pro and this is looking like the first mod purchase for it!!

I don't have a Pro I can photograph, but it sounds like you want something like this quick mockup?

star-trek-pro-vs-aurich.jpgstar-trek-pro-vs-aurich.jpg

#256 9 years ago

I don't think Stern (I guess Greg Freres) did a bad job with the translites. Just not a big fan of the actor headshot look. The LE came out great.

For me the missed opportunity is the speaker panel. Now that I'm used to my decal on it I can't imagine going back to the drab grey texture. Stern seemed to realize this too, Iron Man VE and TWD both switched up to full color speaker decals. Which is great! Always down for more spots to put art on pins. Oh, and the new LED Metallica Pro too. That looks solid.

#258 9 years ago

My printer told me he thinks they'll ship to me beginning of next week. I'll update if I hear more.

I don't have any speaker lights, but I am enjoying this prototype Refinery backbox light kit I have installed.

#262 9 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Awesome job on these! wish I had the talent to design. I am just a printer.

Hey, we need printers! I wouldn't be able to do much for the community without you guys.

#264 9 years ago
Quoted from Cloud9:

You are bonn atoll us the second the shipment arrives right? A few of us are on pins and needles!

Yup. I'm expecting to hear the good word this week, just waiting like everyone else at this stage. Last word I heard was they were waiting for the laminate for the decals, but they should have it by now.

#268 9 years ago
Quoted from Mojosan:

How do I print the cards the correct size?
I have nice thick paper ready. Cards look killer.... Thanks for the effort in making these.

Oh you know what? I never uploaded the final version, with the typo fixes. Lemme do that for you. I can make it a PDF, should make it easy to print the right size.

#270 9 years ago

Here's the PDF, see how that works for you. Just make sure when you print it to set it to 100%, and not scaled or print to fit or whatever your print options look like. Then it should come out the right size. I use a ruler and an Xacto to cut mine out, follow the guides and you'll get it perfect.

StarTrek-Cards.pdfStarTrek-Cards.pdf

#274 9 years ago

I'll be emailing everyone tomorrow with some good news.

#280 9 years ago

Technically dug paid first since he hit me up at League last weekend.

As soon as I get back from Expo I'll start packing these up.

#284 9 years ago

By the way - If you pre-ordered and haven't heard from me via email then you're on the waiting list. I'll address it after this first batch has shipped.

#286 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

More money is rolling your way Aurich, I just paid. Looks like I'm #6.....maybe.

Heh, not exactly, most people aren't bothering to update the thread when they pay. Don't worry, I'm a pro at folding boxes by now.

#293 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

payment sent!
Just curious, what shipper will you use to Canada?
Rob

I ship USPS Priority International for anyone outside the US. To Canada it's around a week, give or take depending on the shipping and how customs moves things through.

#304 9 years ago
Quoted from PinheadBE:

Thanks Aurich !
Just a small typo remaining "Enterprose", otherwise this is gorgeous !
Big thumbs up !

Yeah, unfortunately that one wasn't caught until after the print job. I'll fix it and upload new card files for anyone who wants to reprint their own if it bugs you.

#306 9 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Doh! And I just printed and laminated some a few minutes ago.

No one actually reads all those words I spend all this time trying to get right anyways. And I guess I could have spent another 5 minutes getting them right ... doh!

#308 9 years ago
Quoted from dug:

I look at it as the "limited edition" version.

"Oh snap, you got that Star Trek error card from 2014? You know those are going for crazy money on eBay now right?"

#311 9 years ago

Good news everyone! (Futurama voice)

The package from the printer came in a day early, arrived this afternoon. Been packing ever since. I won't be able to get the international orders done tonight, they take a lot longer, can't batch print everything and have to fill out all the customs forums, but all the US orders should hopefully make it to the post office tomorrow. I have to squeeze it in before hurrying to the airport, as long as the post office opens on time I should make it.

You should all be getting tracking #s to your email addresses and have them by the end of the week or sooner.

#313 9 years ago

Just glad they arrived a day early, original estimate was today. I felt kinda bad about the timing with being in Chicago.

If I had just a little more time I could do the international orders too, but I gotta get ready to catch my flight. Take care of that as soon as I get back.

#315 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Got the tracking # this morning.

Oh right, I set the shipping date to today, so it probably delayed the notification emails until today too. About to go pack my car, one of the few times that I curse driving a coupe.

#317 9 years ago

US packages made it to the post office safely, heading to the airport to fly into Chicago. Hope to see some of you at Expo!

#320 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Thks Aurich for sending these out before you left for Expo...mines in the mail.

No problem! I recruited the whole family, my kids were even helping collate decals for a while (each order needs 16 different ones gathered up) and my wife was taping up boxes. Didn't have much time and I really didn't want to only send out some orders, didn't seem fair.

Sorry I couldn't get to the international orders, I'm out of customs envelopes and filling out the customs forms takes longer too. Soon as I get back I'll finish, I have most of it packed already just waiting for postage.

Basically grabbed a cab when I got back from the post office, I was there before they even opened standing in line.

Looks like we're just now flying over Nebraska, just crossed over the border from Colorado.

#323 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Crap; forgot about this; going to pay now . . .

Yours could have been in the mail already!

#335 9 years ago

Heading out for drinks with Ars Technica people, and then grabbing a car out to Expo. Glad to see people are starting to get these, enjoy! I'll check in more with this thread over the weekend, I fly home tomorrow night.

I really looks best with the new speaker decal, a few people opted to not get the decals though, he might have been one. All good.

#341 9 years ago

Lol. Right I'll fix the cards. Sorry forgot to get to that.

#364 9 years ago
Quoted from monsterbaldy:

Is there a way to check which "run" you are? Or a way to make sure I didn't miss an email requesting payment ? Looks awesome.
-ben

I'm home now, but crashing. I'll respond to any questions etc tomorrow. I love seeing all the pics!

#367 9 years ago

Glad everyone is enjoying. I'm back from Expo, I'll get the new version of those instruction cards with the typo fix uploaded today.

#370 9 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

So for the plunger decal do you just pull the rubber tip off the shooter rod? Seems like it is really on there and I don't want to damage it using pliers or something.

Yeah, you have to remove the rod to get the decal on, and you have to take the shooter tip off to do that. Mine was really on there too, I did just bust out the pliers eventually. Remember, these are replaceable parts, they're meant to come off, and if you damage it you can just pop a new one on there from Pinball Life etc. Pliers didn't hurt mine though.

I'd never had so much trouble getting one off before as my Star Trek, sounds like it wasn't just my machine.

#374 9 years ago

Sorry I didn't get to this yesterday, the post Expo crash kicked in. Here's an updated PDF of the cards with the typo fix on "Enterprise" (edit - and typo on boldly! ):

StarTrek-Cards.pdfStarTrek-Cards.pdf

#376 9 years ago
Quoted from PinheadBE:

Ouch!
Thanks for this new version, Aurich.....
.... but I'm afraid there's one more typo on the second card ("To boldly go...").....
Yes, I know.....

I don't see the typo? If you mean there's no "to" on it then that's on purpose.

#379 9 years ago
Quoted from PWhiz:

I don't think it is a typo. It's more like a command. Like, "Protect & Defend Crew & Enterprise." They are orders for the player, not mission statements. At least that's the way I read it.

Yes, exactly.

#383 9 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

"Boldly" is spelled incorrectly. It should have 2 "L" letters. I think that's what he's trying to say.

Son of a ...

FIXING. This is why typing in Photoshop is a big mistake, no spell checker.

#384 9 years ago

Let the record show that while I enjoy writing, and I'm pretty picky about my grammar and spelling, I'm obviously not looking for a career as a copy editor!

I updated the PDF.

#387 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

At least the meteor covers your spelling mistake on the translite

Quoted from ff6735:

So my next question is..............What is next???

Hahaha. I dunno, still trying to recover from Expo and get these international orders out, and then figure out what's outstanding after that. I'm pretty tired today, last week is catching up to me I guess.

Will I do another project? Yeah, I'm still enjoying it. But I gotta find something that feels right. Might be time to take a break from Stern games, getting a little crowded in that space now.

#398 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Aurich, we can both rest easy, your package came this morning at 7:30 (normal delivery time is around 1pm). To tired to open it now but will tomorrow, it was a killer day at work.

Excellent, sounds like they routed it the wrong area code but figured it out eventually. Glad it made it safely!

Quoted from Jediturtle:

For the love of all that is holy, do not attempt to clean the translite with windex or other chemicals.

So sorry that the instruction sheet seemed to have not made it in your box or got lost or whatever happened. I learned this back in the early Shadow days, that's why I put that note in there now.

Basically these are made with a photographic process, so they're not CMYK prints. That's why the colors are so rich and vivid. But you really have to treat them like a photo, if you spray ammonia or chemicals on them you're gonna eat up the surface.

I'll take care of you.

#401 9 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Ok, so in regards to cleaning the translate if it is needed. How/what would you recommend?
I don't need to, but for reference in the future. Want to make sure it is noted on the machine for a just in case.
I would be soooo saddened if years down the road I mess up and ruin it.
Also with the ink, how is the longevity of it, rough guess? Is there something we should do now in order to preserve it for the next 20 years?

If you ever need to clean it I'd just use a damp cloth and then dry it off. If you had a really stubborn issue I've tested isopropyl alcohol. It works, but it will take a little color with it if you rub hard, and might dull the area, so I'd use that in an emergency only and sparingly.

There are no inks used in these, it's a photographic process. So as long as it's behind glass and not directly exposed to sunlight all day (something we already do with our games) I can't imagine it won't look fine in 20 years. I obviously haven't had a chance to test that yet though.

#402 9 years ago
Quoted from PinheadBE:

Indeed. That's it. Sorry, I thought that was obvious... My fault: next time, I'll be more precise.
Anyway, thanks Aurich !

No worries, I read it like twice and still managed to not see it. My brain just filled in the missing letter I guess!

#403 9 years ago

Okay, all international orders placed before Expo have shipped. Sorry I couldn't get to it yesterday, I pretty much had a post Expo crash.

I see a few more orders came in while I was gone, I'll get to those next. I have a fair amount of people who flaked out, I'll send out an email for a last chance, and then I'll open those up to the next people on the waiting list.

#405 9 years ago

I just emailed my non-payment folks. It's a higher number than I'm usually used to, so I hope my emails are getting through.

Dug show a full shot of that game, you're first one with a Refinery edition that I know of!

Aurich

#408 9 years ago
Quoted from sckurk:

I never received an email from you. Can you check to see if you received my order? Thanks

You're on the waiting list, your pre-order came in after my cutoff for the first orders. I have enough people on that list that even if everyone who hasn't paid yet flakes I'd still need to order more. So I just need to figure out how many extra I truly have to I can make that order.

Maybe I should email everyone on my waiting list to keep them clear on what's going on?

Post edited by Aurich: Edit: Sent that email to the waiting list people to clear up confusion.

#416 9 years ago
Quoted from dug:

The backbox led board you made is perfect.

Did you hit the damn saucer yet? I love when the planet flashes blue on the saucer eject. Great effect.

#427 9 years ago

Sorry the protective film is stuck on there so firmly. It used to be worse actually, and they redid the adhesive. Still could be lighter though for sure, it does take a little effort to remove.

#429 9 years ago

The key thing is it keeps the surface from getting scratched up while in transit.

#441 9 years ago

Everyone who's ordered has been shipped, most US orders should have their packages already, today if not yesterday.

International obviously will take longer, but they're in transit.

I'm going to sort out a second run this weekend for the waiting list.

#447 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

So does this mean you've sold the remaining ones from the 1st order that hadn't paid? Assuming so and that I'm on the next list, how long do you estimate the printing of the 2nd run?

No, I will have at least a few extra, I've sent out the "last chance" messages to anyone I haven't heard from.

Anything I have left will go to my waiting list in order of signup. I'll contact those people shortly, just making sure of the numbers.

Then whoever is left I'd say making more would be a couple weeks out.

#450 9 years ago

I just emailed the next people on the waiting list to offer the extras from the first run. Once I see the response there I can figure out the move for a second run for everyone else still waiting.

#454 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

I just paid then checked outside my door. It hasn't arrived. I'll check again in five minutes

I have a couple orders to send out already, and then the people who are responding to my email from today (pretty quickly I might add) so I'll do a round of packing tonight. You'll probably have it Thursday if all goes well.

#456 9 years ago

Just packed up all orders from my waiting list people who took the extras. Going to run them over to the post office. Thanks for being so fast everyone, makes it much easier to do all at once.

I still have extra decals, so I'll go through my list and find the decal-only people, send you an email. Then I'll see who's left and figure out how to take care of you. If you want on my list now would be a good time to add yourself before I put in another order.

http://www.aurichlawson.com/startrek/pre-order.html

#460 9 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Just submitted my order aurich. I am in Australia so may take a bit

Australia is actually my favorite international shipping spot. Direct flight from LA to to you, it's usually faster than Canada even. Most other countries have to hop across the US from hub to hub, or go to NY first.

#462 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

both coin slot inserts (pain in the butt and glad I had the Bondic UV glue to put the push button covers back on)

Hmm, I'm confused, you shouldn't need any glue.

You remove the buttons by taking off the e-clip like my instructions say, and then you can use something thin to poke the insert out, or just blow into the small opening and you can shoot it out of the other side. No glue required!

#468 9 years ago

Ooh, nice thinking!

And really glad to see Canadians posting images, always feel better when I see the international shipping stuff show up. I've had really good experiences honestly, one badly routed package and only one truly trashed after all the ones I've sent, but I still feel nervous until they arrive.

#471 9 years ago

Awesome. You didn't even need the tournament button plug decal since you actually installed the button too!

#477 9 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

Thank Aurich, Got mine a week ago after post office lost it for a week. It is now on my prem at Lyons Classic Pinball for all to see. Great job, lots of complements . I will get wife to take some pics next week.
Very nice work , thanks again.

Doh! I have to say I've had pretty good luck with the post office, I'm not really one to complain about them. But every once in a while they do manage to send things off in the wrong direction.

Glad it made it, and I'm honored to be in the Lyons Classic lineup!

#478 9 years ago

I still need to figure out the next order BTW, my wife is away this week at a conference, so I'm rolling as solo dad this week. No biggie, but it has kept me slightly busier than normal, a little behind on things on my to do list still.

Quoted from SunKing:

I finally managed to get a few pictures last night. Everyone who has seen the new ST translite thinks it's amazing.

Thanks man! Love seeing it next to Helen. I don't think anyone has the trifecta, even me. I have my Shadow and Star Trek next to each other and Helen in a swapbox above them, might be the closest thing.

#481 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

They should go on the front of the grill?

The smaller point of the badge should be on the right. Look at the logo on the topper. Or the ones I did for the coin door.

#490 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

Everyone has said it looked better in person but you just don't get it to you receive yours. Wow! It looks so much better in person! The clarity and depth of field is amazing on this.

Glad you're enjoying it. It really is hard to photograph it properly, believe me I've tried, so you're totally right, looks a lot better in person. Tends to wash out in photos.

#496 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

It would have to be one hell of a sale for me at this point lol

You can always roll your own if you don't mind a little wiring.

#501 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

What exactly are we talking about here?

Well there are some things I won't mail.

#503 9 years ago

Come on out to CA and we can talk.

#507 9 years ago
Quoted from KillerKades:

Anyone want to trade a left arch piece for a right arch piece?
No worries at all Aurich. It just made me chuckle and I had to share.
So who has the 2 rights?

Son of a –

Gonna throw my kids under the bus on this one, my 7 year old was helping me collate those ones I think.

Correct decal already in the mail!

Edit: My wife just reminded me that we thought we knew that had happened, I guess we found the other one, and she went through the bags twice trying to find it. Sorry about that!

#508 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

I've thought about it but don't know where to start. Any ideas?

If you're interested in rolling your own this is what you want to read:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-flashers-or-under-cabinet-lighting-for-15-for-modern-sterns

That's part 2, about making an interactive one. Part 1 is linked right at the start, and is just for making a static version.

Even a static version can be cool though. My friend and I modified the Refinery prototype with some always on static features, some blue lights behind the nacelles and warm lights behind the firey planet in the lower right.

#514 9 years ago
Quoted from JesterPinHead:

Looks absolutely stunning Aurich. Just ordered a Premium model to arrive in a few weeks (my 1st ever machine) and hoping that I maybe able to get a package of your efforts
Order form completed.

I think I'm going to place the next order this week, so you're covered.

#515 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

Do you have the link handy for the pinball refinery backbox LED mod? It isn't on his site. Also. I'd love to see what you did with the blue LEDs on the nacells and such. Can you post pics?

Hmm, the link I have doesn't work anymore, brings up a Walking Dead board. Maybe he stopped making them. Might have to email him.

I can take some pics, but it's really hard to document what it looks like in person. Camera hates backlit stuff, really blows out the sensors.

#516 9 years ago

I swapped my coin reject buttons to red last night to match my Premium red theme. Only problem is the part where the quarters go in stays yellow, no one sells those.

So I just put red gels over them. Now they match but you can't put quarters in. Which I have never done and never plan to, so I really can't say I care.

Someone (Joe @ Laseriffic??) needs to cut some colored plexi to match the reject buttons, fix that problem.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#518 9 years ago
Quoted from PWhiz:

I'd dig some blue to go with my Promium.

I have blue I'm going to put on my Tron. Can't do the same trick with blue gel over yellow there, but I may try just taping the blue gels in and leaving the yellow part out. It's easy to restore to stock if I ever care about putting coins in or sell it, but neither is likely right now.

#522 9 years ago

Man, that's quite a contrast, the lighting on LOTR and Star Trek. Glad you're enjoying!

#527 9 years ago

I'm confused about the bad news, can't really see the pic, is the decal damaged?

#529 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yea, bent up. Any way to flatten it out? Man, that translight is amazing in person.

Well it's a decal, so it should flatten just fine as you apply it, though putting some books on it first might help. If it's actually damaged though shoot me a PM, I'll take care of you.

#535 9 years ago

Hmm, these decals are taking more of a beating in transit than I realized. Glad they're going on okay, but I think I'll try and fix that. Maybe I can use some painters tape to secure them to the translite's protective film.

#541 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well it's been 3 hours, are you done?

Hey, some people take their time to line it up juuuuuuust right!

#544 9 years ago

Put the order in today for some more, if you're on my waiting list you should be all set, I'll contact you when they're ready.

#549 9 years ago
Quoted from Duex:

Okay, so finally the package made it all the way to Germany (custom is really a pain in the…, they are working extremely slowly here)

Ugh, Germany is the worst, your customs seems to sit on things forever. I feel like you guys are always the last to get my packages, sorry about that.

Your games look really nice with all the space around them, everyone I know (myself included!) has them super close to each other to be able to fit more.

The new print order is officially in by the way, so my waitlist people just hold tight for a little longer.

#558 9 years ago

You can of course do it any way you like! I sized it to be as close to the stock as possible.

Personally what I recommend is removing the stock decal, it comes off clean and easy. Set it aside, sticky side facing up. Apply the new decal (I just eyeballed it, no tape, and it was pretty easy to line up) and then use the backing from the new decal to store the old one.

Then if you ever want to return it to stock you can (though really I can't imagine going back to that drab decal again).

Over bare metal will give you the cleanest look, and make any repositioning the easiest.

#560 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

It's sized so perfectly that I can't tell there's another one under the new one. It's a perfect fit. Great job Aurich

Excellent, I really tried to get it exact, but I didn't try overlaying it like you did, so good to hear that it's dead on.

#563 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

Same here. Just put it right over the old one. I didn't won't to remove the old one and it leave behind artifacts I would have to deal with and not have a smooth surface to apply it to.

Hey, if it works for you guys it's all good with me! I will say though that the old one comes off easy and clean.

Quoted from ZenTron:

If you could make side cabinet and side head unit decals that could be laid on the stock but also removed without damage that would be sweet.

Side decals generally need to have the cab stripped, though maybe they could go over a new one okay. I dunno, they're big, expensive, a lot of work to install, it's never seemed like a very practical thing to do. Be a lot of work to design since they're so large, and then I'd be worried that no one would really want them after all that.

Plus most people's games are in between others, and you hardly even see the sides!

#565 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Was there any sticker residue left after you removed the old decal?

I really does come up clean. The Stern decal doesn't leave white paper bits behind or anything. Same with the other decals. I removed everything and stored them on the paper from the new decals. I doubt I'll ever want to return it to stock, but I could if I wanted to.

Try peeling up a corner of your speaker decal, you can always smooth it back down. You'll see how it comes up. Heck, my stock one had a bubble in it from the factory, it was easy to move it around, that's how I knew it would be easy to peel up.

#567 9 years ago
Quoted from dug:

I found the perfect place to store the original one... the trash!

I'll be honest, there's no way in hell I'm putting my stock one back on. I guess I'm keeping it as a reference just in case. I'm really glad Stern decided to do full color decals now (Metallica Pro LED, Iron Man VE, TWD) because it's so much better.

#570 9 years ago

Also any tips removing the stock decals off the apron or did you just put Aurich's decals over the originals? My stock ones are stuck on really good.
Speaker decal went on smooth. Thanks!

The stock decals are pretty thick and tough, they can take a lot. You just need to work your fingernail under a corner and then they'll come up clean in one piece.

#572 9 years ago

I was doing the fingernail thing and was hoping there was a better way. Oh well. Thanks again.

Well if you're looking for a more "advanced" technique I'd try dental floss. Wrap on your fingers like normal, and work it under the corner with a back and forth sawing motion. Then once it's started just peel it up manually.

#574 9 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

The kit looks awesome man, signed up on the pre-order and totally hope you're still making them

Printer is working them now.

Looks like I only have 1 extra left for this run if everyone who signed up orders it, but we'll see how that goes.

#576 9 years ago
Quoted from gjbwalker:

I hope my pre-order got in!!!! Can't wait.

Yup, see you on the list, you should be fine.

1 week later
#580 9 years ago
Quoted from Rico2014:

Hi, just took delivery of my Star Trek Premium last week in the UK - upgraded to 1.5 firmware and ready for modding! - your decals and translite look really great - I have pre-ordered via your order page - hope I'm not too late to get on the second batch pre-order!

Just waiting to hear from my printer. Hopefully next week.

Quoted from StylesBitchly:Small problem with the physics here. Asteroids don't glow in space, they must first enter the atmosphere.

Yeah yeah, I think I already covered this in the thread somewhere, but it's total artistic license.

Quoted from Arcade:

I think the ship has force fields active creating a mini atmosphere, and that must be what is causing them go glow.

That's the ticket!

#583 9 years ago

Just talked to my printer, should be shipping to me this week. Once I have confirmation that they're on their way I'll send out emails for the orders.

#585 9 years ago
Quoted from JesterPinHead:

Woooo Hooooo. Come on Santa Thanks Aurich!

Pretty sure I can get it to you before Christmas, so I'll play skinny Santa.

#588 9 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Impressive work, Aurich!!

Thanks man, nice to see you around again. See what you've been missing?!

1 week later
#591 9 years ago

Putting this message in my Shadow, Helen, and Star Trek threads as a general update:

I just got in new prints yesterday for all three projects. I owe people emails with the ordering info, I have everyone on my lists. I'm just fighting a cold and really tired and spacey, and I need to get some rest or something before I have the mental energy to make sure I don't screw it all up.

So I apologize for the delay, once I'm together I'll contact everyone and start shipping orders as they come in. You'll start hearing from me over the next few days.

#596 9 years ago
Quoted from dug:

So you are the one that got Mike sick.

lol, more like caught the same thing he did! Someone was hacking in there.

#601 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

have you started contacting folks on lists? just curious

Yes, but I'm doing it in waves. More people signed up than I ordered, even with the extras I put in. So I'm trying to see if people in the front are dropping out so I can cover other folks. I have almost enough, just not quite.

I've already mailed the first batch, I'm probably going to gently prod the people I haven't heard from yet to see if they're still in.

So hang tight, I'm still taking care of it. The Thanksgiving timing delayed everything with the printing is the problem I think, built up demand after I'd put in the order already.

#603 9 years ago

I emailed the laggers today. One ordered, one dropped out, waiting to hear from 4 more. I'll give them a little time. If someone is a true no responder and they order way late and I'm out of stock I'll just refund them, but I do want to give people a little time.

#606 9 years ago
Quoted from Sea-Monkey:

Just got my new tranlite today. Gotta say that the quality of the print is amazing (the original always looked fuzzy to me). It's a stunning work of art! Kudos!

Thanks man, glad you're enjoying. It's tough to photograph, really does look better in person than photos IMHO.

#609 9 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

I know I got down voted last time, but it is the truth... Avoid the USPS like the plague. They only know how to effectively deliver spam anymore.

I've sent a ton of translites, and I can only think of 2 that were actually mangled.

That sucks though, how bad is it inside?

I know they probably don't do much, but I put official FRAGILE stickers on both sides of the box. One can always hope.

#611 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think you have a bad local post who clearly does not give a shit about other peoples stuff. I've seen this happen before with a Saginaw branch and things didn't change until some people got "let go".
Don't paint the entire USPS with such a broad brush.

I agree. I think there's a reason some people complain a lot and some don't. It's not the service in general, it's your local service sucks. That's why you feel like it's always crappy, and yet I send to everywhere in the entire country all the time and rarely ever have a problem.

Believe me, if my packages were routinely getting trashed I'd have to change up how I mailed them.

Only issue has been the speaker decal banging around a little. I've starting taping them to the translite bag, but someone suggested I tape all 4 sides not just 2, so I'll try that.

#614 9 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

It creased in the top middle of the translite, but got the decals in the disposable center part. It's harder to tell when the machine is powered up, but when it's off the reflection around that part makes it obvious. The postman walked up to my door apologizing and saying something about using a tube instead, but honestly the packaging looked as well prepared as could be. Pretty sure trying to hold the USPS accountable would be an exercise in futility. I guess I like the artwork enough to try buying another translite and using FedEx this time if you end up with any leftover.

Hmm, that sucks, I'll work something out to make sure you're happy. We can take it to PM though.

The reason I don't use a tube is that these translites are so thick with the heavy duty diffuser layer that I worry about rolling them.

#617 9 years ago

Awesome man, I always get nervous sending international. It's crazy how we can just send things around the freaking globe, we're spoiled.

I still have a few people I haven't heard from on this first batch, I'm about to just tell them they're losing their spot for not contacting me and offering them to people down the list.

#620 9 years ago
Quoted from Tazmancat:

Received Aurich's alternate Star Trek translite and it is gorgeous! Don't even have a ST pinball yet (possibly in the future), but once I saw Aurich's translite, I had to have it. Plan to have hubby build some kind of box with lighting to display it in - it's just too beautiful not to. Outstanding work Aurich! :0)

Thanks! It will look 500% lit up.

#623 9 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

Just wanted to say, installed the translite and speaker panel... It's amazing. Should be an essential mod for Star Trek. The speaker panel makes the pin pop replacing the boring drab grey label. Home run.. Interested to see anything that aurich does in the future. Please fix some things on Iron Man... Particularly the apron labels...

Thanks man! I'm sending out my last ones soon, and then I'll have people still on my waiting list, even with extras I didn't order enough.

So I'll probably order another small run soon, if you'd like to get in on that just fill out my form:

As for Iron Man, I've thought about doing a decal set for it. Right now my focus is my upcoming Metallica projects, but that would definitely be something cool. I don't really dig decals for the old style Stern speaker panels though, don't look right. I'd probably only look at the Vault Edition with the new style metal panel like Star Trek.

#626 9 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

So aurich, since you're on... Is it possible to get the light box from pinball refinery for this back glass?

You probably need to email them, I don't think they have it listed on their website. But they can make them, so I bet they're down. If they're not then let me know, I've got a friend who could probably build you one.

Quoted from bb2j3z:

I have Iron Man vault edition... I don't like the apron labels with the warning label... Also haven't found good instruction cards. Also I love the plunger label and tournament button for Star Trek...

Yeah, that stupid warning label, that's what first prompted me to do Star Trek decals, wanted to get rid of that thing! I'd definitely do the plunger label and tournament button if I did Iron Man.

#630 9 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

Jumped on the pre-order list a few days ago for decals. Saw decals on Pinheadpuck's machine and they look fantastic. Hope another run happens.

I'm sure I can make it work. I'm feeling a bit disorganized, the holidays kinda threw me off. Need to take stock (literally and figuratively) and get back on track.

So I would say you're gonna be covered, just give me a little time to get it together.

#632 9 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

You called John a Thief for using Original / Internet art for his Getaway and TWD alt-Translites ,, U have No room to Talk ,, You are a Thief and a Down rite Azz to do the Same thing .,,. U jump in my Threads and Smack talk till They are locked .. Not Rite !!! All about a $ !!!

Dude, you called me on the phone to rant at me about this. I told you I had nothing to do with Robin telling you not to sell your translites.

Then you texted me today to bitch at me, and I told you again, I had nothing to do with it.

Here I am, in public, telling you that I had nothing to do with it. Ask Robin, I don't give a shit, your business has nothing to do with me, I don't care about it besides posting my opinion in a forum, just like everyone else does.

Don't call or text me anymore with your hostile ranting, I don't know you, and I'm sorry I ever gave you my phone number, it was obviously a mistake.

Your friend takes other people's art and tries to sell it, I've never been shy about not liking it, as an artist I take that personally, it could be something I drew, or a friend's drawing he's selling, but it's not my fault you can't sell them on Pinside. Talk to Robin about it.

There's no such thing as "internet art". Just because you look up someone else's art on a Google image search doesn't mean you can print it up and sell it. If he did his own drawings and slapped a Walking Dead logo on it then that would be different, I wouldn't care.

Either way, go find someone else to blame. Robin reads this site just like everyone else, and he's the one who makes the rules. Take it up with him.

#635 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Aurich, Your opinion has a lot of weight here. You did go into his thread and post multiple times and ultimately leading others and Robin to it. If you say "I had nothing to do with it" that is BS and you know it. Its just mutual respect for each other business and you basically pissed on BR's thread.
Actions have consequences and maybe next time you will not share your (negative) opinion in someone elses thread that is in the same business as you are. Just ignore/drain the thread if it bothers you.

I didn't message Robin to look at the thread, nothing I did "magically summoned" him to show up. I saw the TWD thread where Robin told him again to stop today, I didn't post in it, I didn't message anyone about it.

I didn't make the site rules about copyright. Robin enforces this stuff all the time, he has since before I was ever a member here. If you think I haven't had extensive conversations with him about my projects since before I posted even the first picture of The Shadow think again, I talked to him first to make sure I wasn't violating the site rules.

So no, I don't take any responsibility for it. Black Rose has decided that I tried to shut him down, and now he's dragging it public after his attempts to harass me on the phone failed. Whatever.

Sorry man, it has nothing to do with me. Here, maybe this will help: iT hAs NoTH1nG t0 do w1Th mE.

I get it, you're mad. But find someone else to be mad at, I didn't take anything away from you.

#637 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Actions have consequences and maybe next time you will not share your (negative) opinion in someone elses thread that is in the same business as you are. Just ignore/drain the thread if it bothers you.

Also, with all due respect, F that. I'm actually very careful to not comment on forum members who do art for games. Unless I have nothing but pure positive things to say. There's nothing to be gained there, so I stay out of. Common courtesy etc.

But if I see someone ripping people off I'm not going to just ignore it. Because it sucks, and I don't have to be quiet about it. Make any translite you want, make it for Shadow, Star Trek, I don't care, compete with me, it's all good.

Just do your own art.

Don't copy and paste from some Google wallpaper, or from a model's website, or a screenshot from a game, or a movie poster. Be original. I don't care if you use a brand's logo, that's some big company's problem to police, and if they don't care about some small forum thing then great. But selling someone else's art is lame.

I worked really hard to do this Enterprise image. You'll never find a movie poster or screencap from the film that looks like it, because it doesn't exist, it's 100% original. And if some dude found it on Google and started selling it do you think I should just be quiet?

Hey, someone making some translites for their friends using a movie poster, I don't care. But this guy, John or whatever his name is, is a serial abuser. That's all he does. I'm not even out to shut him down, I don't flag him on eBay, I don't report anything to anyone. But I reserve the right to speak my mind on Pinside about it.

#638 9 years ago

I'm off to play pinball with Rarehero (just kidding, we don't play pinball, we just complain about art by candlelight). Sorry for the drama everyone. I appreciate all the nice posts and PMs I've gotten over the years (yikes years) from people, it's what keeps me motivated to do it.

PM me if you need anything.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Your work is fantastic and appreciated. Keep it up!

Thanks!

#642 9 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Just for the record, Aurich had nothing to do with B_R's TWD translites topic getting shut down. The reason it got my attention was that it simply generated a lot of copyright infringement reports on the moderation dashboard from concerned Pinsiders (who naturally will remain anonymous here).

Thanks Robin.

I definitely don't go looking for drama, I'm not out to get anyone, just some guy with an opinion like anyone else here. For the record I'm not going to make TWD translites, and I would personally welcome seeing more people contribute original art to the hobby. I wouldn't even see it as competition, just contribution.

Quoted from jawjaw:

I put in a preorder for the translight and decals. Does that include apron cards?

Yes, all order include my cards. I'll try and get my list together this week, see how many people are on it etc. I'll contact anyone who's waiting with an update so you know what's up once I figure it out myself.

#645 9 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

I went ahead and bought the backbox set on pinball refinery for this translite. I notice they have one more set available. Gio mentioned that they are a little behind on orders so may be a couple weeks before shipping.
http://pinballrefinery.com/store#!/Over-the-top-Backbox-LED-kit-Star-Trek-Aurich-Alternate-translite/p/45718343/category=7060584

I think you'll be pleased, I enjoy it on mine, really pops the colors and the interactive effects look great.

#648 9 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Aurich - This thread needs to get back on topic, so I'll jump in to repeat what everyone else here has already said. This is some excellent original artwork. It makes me wish that I had kept my Star Trek just so I could slap one of your translites on it. Good stuff.

Thanks, I appreciate it. My goal is always to make people happy, it really means a lot when people enjoy having what I do on their machines. So by all means, stroke my ego!

Quoted from MacJedi:

Just pre-ordered mine!! Can't wait! Aurich, your work looks amazing, and I bet it will look good on my Premium that should be arriving soon.

Great. Now that the holidays are over I'll try and get things back on track, sort of ended up in crazy timing with these last batches. I'll get my waiting list organized and order more.

1 week later
#650 9 years ago

Awesome, thanks. Looks good with the speaker lights too. I never got around to trying that.

#653 9 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

The decal around the speaker holes looks like it is lit up also.

Oh sweet.

I need to order more translites and decals, I know people are waiting, just been busy with work and feeling behind on getting my list together.

1 week later
#654 9 years ago

Okay, sorry for the delay on this, my wife had some unexpected surgery and things got a little busy here. Getting back to normal now. I'm going to email everyone I have on my list still, but this is the folks I think are still waiting for me:

Astropin
Myles32
mummite
PinJump
MnHotRod
pin42
anve
ilovegames
BestShot31
jawjaw
XLDad
MacJedi
Hank_78
dg_amuse
Earetz
ajb4
LilRocky
Robotgreg
Heath

If you don't see your name there and I missed you somehow or you're interested in getting in on this run please hit this link:

You can PM me to confirm or if you have questions, I don't mind at all.

#655 9 years ago

Last bump before I put the order in tomorrow. A couple people noticed they weren't on my list but should have been, sorry for missing you, anyone else?

Translite.jpgTranslite.jpg

#658 9 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Aurich...now that I have sold my Star Trek the biggest thing I miss is walking downstairs and seeing your translite. Any chance that you would consider making the artwork available in a poster or lithograph form? It's so sweet people without the machine should be able to enjoy it!

It's too bad that guy who was making the swap boxes, those little light up frames for translites, stopped making them. That's the best way to display these, backlit like they're supposed to be.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

#660 9 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

nice job on the alt package. it looks amazing and like it would fit perfectly (without anyone the wiser that it wasn't original)

Thanks, that was the goal. IMHO it looks so much nicer with a color speaker panel, not sure why Stern didn't do that. They obviously figured that out post Mustang, all the releases, vault or otherwise, have gone color since, even the LED Met Pro.

#661 9 years ago

I'm going to put in the order after lunch, so a few hours from now my time. If you get in last minute do me a favor and PM me after you sign up at http://www.aurichlawson.com/startrek/pre-order.html so I can make sure I count you before I put the order in. Really don't want to miss anyone after making everybody wait so long.

#663 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

hey! I'd like one.

Got it, I see you on the list, you're set.

#664 9 years ago

Order placed! I got a few extras to be safe, so I won't have a ton of fall back stock, but a few if you're a latecomer, so just PM me to check.

I'll be in touch with everyone on the list as soon as the prints ship to me with instructions.

2 weeks later
#667 9 years ago

I'm hoping to hear about the print order by the end of the week. Early next week if not this I'd assume though.

As soon as it's shipping to me I'll email everyone with the instructions.

1 week later
#670 9 years ago

I got the Star Trek package from my printer. I haven't had a chance to even open the box and check it out though, I'm hustling to get this Metallica hammer project out the door. Give me a couple days to get that done and then I'll be ready to take the orders, and I'll email everyone.

#673 9 years ago
Quoted from Chemixtry:

Has anyone had issues with the speaker panel overlay sticking (not sticking). I've pressed it down several times but it seems to detach from both ends. Do I need some type of spray adhesive or something?

I have received no reports of that, and mine has been stuck down on my panel for over 5 months just fine. That sounds annoying though! Sorry you're having trouble.

I wonder if you had some residue on your speaker panel or something that messed with it sticking down right? Sorry about that. Something like spray adhesive would probably be perfect, I'm partial to Super 77 myself.

#674 9 years ago

I'll pack up all Star Trek orders that have paid by this weekend and will ship them out on Monday.

Someone requested a route-friendly version of the rules card with standard pricing, if anyone else has a need for it here it is:

Star-Trek-Card-Pay.jpgStar-Trek-Card-Pay.jpg

#676 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I should have my game by the middle of March.
When will you do your next batch?

Not sure, but I obviously didn't order enough this time, even with the padding I added. People asking me if I'll have extras and I don't know that I will.

Best thing to do is sign up for my pre-order list

because I'll use that to gauge demand after I sell out of this order.

#680 9 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

let me know when you want to pay for bob aka OgeistO and if a exter one comes up

I'm ready to take Bob's order right now, I just don't know if I have an extra so I could put them both in the same package. Trying to keep things fair to people who signed up in order. So it's just a matter of if you want to wait to see or not, best I can do.

#685 9 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

Ok just sent payment for BoB aka OgeistO and im on the waiting list thanks

Okay, no problem, that's probably for the best. Sorry I couldn't just make it easier, wish I'd ordered more extras, didn't anticipate the surge of demand.

#687 9 years ago
Quoted from GGBGROUP:

Has anyone figured out a way to stick the speaker decal onto a piece of plexiglass or thin stainless steel with magnets behind and then put that onto the speaker panel? I don't want to permanently stick something on top of the factory sticker.

The stock sticker can be removed and then put back on if you want. I've done it, works fine. So if you want the option to return to stock you can peel the stock sticker off, and set it aside face down. Then put the new decal on. Then put your stock sticker on the backing from the new decal and store it somewhere.

I don't recommend installing over any of the stock decals, take them off first.

#688 9 years ago

All US orders shipped this morning. I have a handful of international ones that I'll work on today, it just takes longer to do all the customs paperwork and I wasn't able to get to them yet. Those will ship tomorrow hopefully.

I think I'll have a couple extras from dropouts. Once I confirm that for sure I'll look to my pre-order list, and use that to determine who's next in line.

If I still have people waiting after that I'll try and organize a new order for you all.

#692 9 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

For some reason, I can't keep the speaker decal to stay on.... I will flatten it out, then it only takes a couple days to start bubbling on one side. Then if I don't try and flatten it out, it will fall right off. Any suggestions? Not sure if there's an adhesive or glue I can apply... it's fine if it's permanent... or maybe get another decal set?

Hmm, I haven't had any reports of that, and mine works great.

Tell you what, let me get these orders out and see what my stock situation is, I might have an extra speaker panel decal I can send you.

My personal choice for sticking this stuff down is a spray adhesive called Super 77, it's easy to find. If you get a chance you could try that, but I'll find a way to help you out. Can you send me a PM in like a week if you don't fix it so I can see if I have an extra?

Edit: Hmm, don't like that some people are having problems. I'll do whatever I can to fix it.

#698 9 years ago
Quoted from locdb:

*edit- For some reason, you'll have to copy the above link in a browser to get the direct link to work correctly

Yeah, forum doesn't like that link. You can encode it like this though:

Refinery Star Trek Backbox

And just to be clear I don't have anything to do with it. I gave Gio early access to the art to make it, and beta tested it for him, but I didn't design it, and I don't see a dime of the sales.

Just want to be clear that it's not "mine".

I think it looks great though!

#700 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I know all that. To bad you don't get a cut. I think you should.

Ha, I was happy to pass it on to him to do, no worries on my end. I think it's nice that we have a strong mod community that can build upon each other's successes.

#703 9 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

ME ME ME im on the list somewhere I hope

I got you. Wouldn't be fair to ship one to your house and then tell you that you can't have your own!

I'm finishing up the international orders now, you should be getting emails with tracking #s. Because it's evening here now the emails might not go out until next business day here, not sure. Packages will go out to post office in the morning.

#706 9 years ago

Interesting that the videos don't have your translite on them.
Would also have been interesting to see the what this looks like behind the translate.
I'll give them an A for creativity, and a C- for marketing.

Luckily I shot my own video!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vRLvWMTXoeY?autoplay=1&rel=0

#709 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Got my package and I could not be happier! Quality and detail are exceptional - huge improvement over stock art. I can't take my eyes of the translite. I knew it was going to be good but wow... This is the best thing you can do to a pro. Thanks, Aurich!

Awesome, thanks man. It's really hard to photograph it properly, looks much better lit up.

It looks like I'm sold out, so I need to check my list and see if I have enough people waiting to do another run.

#712 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Just think about the poor people who have the game but aren't on PS and don't know about your cool TL.

A moment of silence for the poor people who aren't on Pinside.

#715 9 years ago
Quoted from Womper:

Oo oo. I'm in for the full set if you're doing another run. It's a must have IMO.

I see you on my list.

#721 9 years ago

I wonder why some people have trouble with the decal? Mine has been on since the beginning of this project, not a bubble or peel or problem at all.

#722 9 years ago
Quoted from Scottn63:

Mine came in and I installed the Translit. Looks awesome. My wife likes it the most and thinks it is a huge improvement over the stock one for the ST PRO. I have not installed the speaker decal yet. Anyone have some tips on the best way to line it up when you apply it?
Scott

I did my decal by myself just fine, but it would be easier with another pair of hands. I start on one side, get the speaker lined up with the hole, and then work my way across, smoothing it flat as I go to avoid air bubbles.

#728 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

got a strange problem with the speaker decal. last night I found the decal on the glass in front. It has been there since day 1 without any issues. I cleaned it before I placed it. anyway put it back but few hours later it was loose again and fallen on the glass. put it back but again after a while it was loose again.
I have now placed some double sided tape on it and it sticks but it doesn't look good anymore... any idea aurich ?

Hmm. I have no idea! Mine has been firmly in place for months, not a single issue. I have a Premium, but I assume all the speaker panels are exactly the same.

Definitely disappointing to hear, and very strange that it would suddenly just completely fall off out of the blue. It wasn't peeling up at the corner or anything, just one day, boom, fell off?

#731 9 years ago

Well if need be I'll order extra decals or something if people need replacements, definitely don't want anyone disappointed.

As I mentioned earlier if I was trying to fix something like this I'd use spray adhesive over tape, Super 77 is my brand of choice. But I'm happy to try and find another solution to make sure everyone is satisfied.

#735 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Would weather conditions, humidity, and such make a difference? Not sure if some of you guys keep pins in a garage or somewhere that is affected by outside weather.

Mine is in a garage, but this "weather" word you use, it sounds familiar, but I'm not sure we have that in CA.

Quoted from bb2j3z:

I used super 77 spray adhesive and that did the trick..

Awesome, thanks for letting us know. I apologize for any issues or inconvenience, please never hesitate to PM me if you need help or aren't satisfied/happy.

#739 9 years ago
Quoted from ilovegames:

I got mine installed last week and I just CAN'T STOP STARING AT IT! The quality of the Translite is amazing. Its thicker and nicer than Sterns. The Speaker panel and the other artwork is incredible as well. Great Job Aurich!

Thanks man. With the new code about to drop I need to get off my butt and organize another run I think.

#741 9 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

PLEASE do, the full set is awesome but I can't bear to look at the factory at the speaker panel much longer

Heh, it really is rather dull isn't it? I'm glad Stern has gone to full color decals for their newer releases with the metal panel, once you're used to color there the stock decal just looks weird.

Okay, so I'll get this organized. Here's who I have on my list right now:

hanford29
Locdb
Jploof
superjackpot
turboderf
gboccuti
EchoicStriker
Womper
dlmorgan999
Pingod
flyhigh
Rilaw
LouDuva
paragon
pinworthy
Wolfanoz
frogman70
CamaroBilly

If you don't see your name there and you want to be in on the run then please sign up at http://www.aurichlawson.com/startrek/pre-order.html and probably a good idea to shoot me a PM just to make sure I get you in case you sign up last minute.

#743 9 years ago
Quoted from Womper:

Please let us know how to proceed. I am very excited about this. It's people like you that make pinballing so much fun!

If you're on my list already you're set, I'll put the order in this week. Then I'll contact everyone with the details when they're ready.

And thanks! I really enjoy people's reactions. Don't get me wrong, I price these to cover my time and everything, but I can get a little burnt out on packing boxes and dealing with spreadsheets and all the headaches. It stays worth it because it's something that people really love.

So I always appreciate the comments:

#745 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Will you be selling the speaker panel decal alone ? mine looks bad now.

I don't really have a practical way to do that, since the decals are all printed up on a single sheet.

What happened though? Did it get worn somehow? Maybe we can figure something out.

#749 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

posted this earlier:
got a strange problem with the speaker decal. last night I found the decal on the glass in front. It has been there since day 1 without any issues. I cleaned it before I placed it. anyway put it back but few hours later it was loose again and fallen on the glass. put it back but again after a while it was loose again.
I have now placed some double sided tape on it and it sticks but it doesn't look good anymore... any idea aurich ?

Oh right, sorry, I juggle so many PMs every day it's hard to keep track of everyone.

I'm really mystified by that one. I might have an extra one I could send you, I'll have to figure a way to send it overseas safely. Probably rolled in a tube or something, you'd have to flatten it out first.

Spray adhesive is probably going to work a lot better than double sided tape though.

#752 9 years ago

Huh, I really am curious why some people are seeing this now, maybe there was a batch that had different adhesive? It's just a big sticker, not rocket science. Mine hasn't budge an inch since I installed it before I sold a single one.

#754 9 years ago

My decal is constipated, it has no movements.

#757 9 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

So what is the best way to spray the Super 77 adhesive onto the back of the decal, and not get any on the front of the decal? Lay it out flat on cardboard, perhaps some small pieces of blue painter's tape to help it stay flat, and then spray on a coating?

That would work just fine. I'm sorry a group of you seem to be having trouble.

I'll mention this to my printer, see if he has any thoughts about what might have happened.

#759 9 years ago

I just emailed my printer the Star Trek order. I'll email everyone details. I got some extras, so I'll have limited stock if you weren't on my list.

I mentioned the decal peeling issue, see if he has any thoughts. Maybe there was a bad batch, or printed on weaker adhesive or something.

#764 9 years ago
Quoted from flamehead:

I'm new here on Pinside but I signed up just to ask if I can still get one of these sticker sets?
Thanks!

No problem I see you on my list, I can cover you. Welcome to Pinside!

#768 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Is there any ST Pro left in the world without the alternate translite now?
Rob

Ha, probably plenty. My saturation is in the Shadow market.

#772 9 years ago

I gotta finish this Metallica mod before I can even start something else, I've been sidetracked too many times! Spent last night cutting foam core, hoping to test some of the lighting tonight.

#773 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I wish he would do a true backglass next, perhaps even mirrored . . . that would be awesome (actually, what he has already done is already awesome, I lack the words to describe if he could run a real backglass).

I would love to do that! I don't have a hookup with a printer who can handle it. I guess now that the mirrored ink is out it's not as crazy as it used to be, with the etching of a real mirror, but I still would have to get a good contact.

#776 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I like your TL's just fine Aurich. A real bg would cost an arm and a leg and the shipping would go through the roof. At least with your tl's everyone can afford one.

There's no question a mirrored backglass would be more expensive and a bigger headache. It would likely have to be a limited thing or something. But it sure sounds like fun to me!

#778 9 years ago

If you're even remotely serious, Aurich, I'll hold off on my purchase of your current translite. I don't mind waiting and paying more for the best.

Heh, it's a dream project for some other time, and I wouldn't go back to an old design for it, would have to be something done from the ground up for the mirroring. So not gonna be anything I've already done.

If it even ever happens. My early attempts to look into finding a printer who could handle it failed and I haven't tried seriously again since.

#781 9 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Hmmmmm…. Great idea!
I've been bugging Aurich to get this done for a while now.

True, and to your credit you even offered to help me ship them! I haven't forgotten ...

#784 9 years ago

Man, it's so weird that a handful of people are having issues. Never had any complaints before, and see above that even people from this same batch aren't seeing it.

I'm talking to my printer about using a stronger adhesive. It means they won't be as easy to remove later, but better than having any issues. If I need to I'll figure out replacements or something.

Super77 is a 3M brand spray adhesive, you can use any spray adhesive though, it's not key that you use that particular brand.

I really apologize to the few people who are having issues, I have no idea why. My goal is always to make sure people are 100% happy.

#786 9 years ago
Quoted from Damon:

Aurich I just wanted to make sure I was on your list and say thank you for all you do, love my Shadow translite getting this set was a no-brainer for me, also, please be a god, and redo the street fighter 2 translite next...it seriously is the most hideous thing ever

Yes, looks like you just missed the cutoff when I sent out the email with the details, but you're covered by the extras I ordered.

I kinda doubt I'll ever touch the SF2 translite, I can't say I have any interest in that game, sorry. Probably some cool fan art out there you could make a custom trans out of though for personal use.

#789 9 years ago

I've never messed around with inside decals / blades, but it's something I guess I might try at some point. Not right this moment though, I'm too swamped with other projects to start something new, gotta keep my focus and not stretch myself too thin.

Good thought though.

1 week later
#792 9 years ago

I'm gonna bribe my wife with cocktails and footrubs to help me get orders packed up this weekend. I had no idea I'd be on Alien when I started this last order, all of a sudden I feel a lot more busy than I already was.

1 week later
#797 9 years ago
Quoted from PinHacks:

Were any adjustments made to the instruction cards after the recent code updates? Was one even necessary? Really beautiful work.

I haven't made any updates.

I guess the only thing that would really need to be added would be the medal system? I dunno, not sure it really matters if that's mentioned on the cards or not. I could look at fitting it in at some point and putting up new digital files for anyone who cared.

Speak up if you think it matters and it worth doing, you'd have to print them yourself.

Quoted from Ballypinball:

Sounds like skitb license formula

Heh, I mean, let's be honest, it basically is. The difference being that I don't take anyone's money first. And if any company sent me a cease and desist I'd simply obey it, and that would be the end. No one would lose a dime. If there was any "risk" it would be all on me, not my customers.

The reality is there's simply no way to license these small projects. The up front costs for a license are so high that I'd never even break even trying to sell a relative handful of translites to forum people. So it's either do it grey market or just skip it all together.

I only sell to other Pinside community members, and I keep all of my art original, and that makes me feel okay about it. But I'm not pretending or lying, I basically rely on companies looking the other way for such a small fan-based operation. And if they choose not to I'll accept the end result without any harm coming to anyone else.

So in that sense I'm definitely not Kevin. But if you don't want to buy one because that makes you uncomfortable I totally understand, it's just supposed to be something that makes people happy.

#799 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I am hesitant to apply the spinner decal because of the original nice, shiny finish which is probably good for reflecting flasher light.
If I do anything, I might put the shiny spinner in my ACDC and take the ACDC spinner, decal it and put it in ST.
Rob

Someone put my decal on the front, and left the shiny one on the back, so you still get it when it spins.

Honestly I just had room on the decal sheet and did it because I could, no need to install it if you like the old one.

#805 8 years ago

I have a little stack left, and it seems like anyone who's on my list has responded already. So I think it's safe to start offering them to the waiting list. I don't think I can cover everyone, but once I run out I'll email whoever's left waiting with an update on what we can do.

I have a couple orders I still need to send out, I apologize for being slower than usual. I'll get on that this weekend.

Basically taking on Alien right before all these orders came in was terrible timing, I'm feeling behind on everything. Kind of working two jobs at the moment, not the best way to run a little hobby mail order thing. But it's really important to me that everyone feel responded to, you can always PM or email me if you want to know what's going on.

Thanks for the patience!

#810 8 years ago

Are you doing any more runs in the future, when your time frees up?

As long as people want it I'm happy to keep doing it. Just having a little trouble keeping up right now is all. Taking a break from Alien photoshopping to eat some pizza, and poking around the forums, then back to work.

#816 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

OK, you talked me into it! lol.
Will Aurich just give a shout on when to pay up if we're in the over-run status? Don't want to pressure him, but don't want to miss out on next run.

I don't see you on my pre-order list, did I miss you, or are you not signed up? I can tell you right now I have more people on my list than I have stock, and will need to do another run. I'm just feeling so behind with Alien taking up my time that I need to try and catch up before I try and commit to handling more orders, I'm being a lot slower than usual to get things out to people, and I feel bad about it.

Quoted from 0geist0:

Just send him a PM and ask. He's very easy going.

I try to be!

#818 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

No pressure... If you decide to re-run them or people that ordered flake on you, just let me know. I'll pay up as soon as I see your message.

Can you sign up at http://www.aurichlawson.com/startrek/pre-order.html ?

That's how I track interest and know who to email.

1 week later
#822 8 years ago

Thanks man. I do still have a few, I just haven't had a chance to go through my list. Need to pack up the last of these Helen things before I can tackle that on top of Alien.

#829 8 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Aurich,
I entered my info on the web link you provided. Looking forward to hearing from you. Also interested in The Shadow if you have any left...combine shipping?

I can probably make something happen there.

2 weeks later
#831 8 years ago
Quoted from BigDan:

Question, would it be possible to swap some the light blue printed color accents on the speaker surround for the color Red? Not the whole thing just the small light blue accents around the speaker cutouts and various other places where there is just light blue blocks of ink. I think that would give Premium owners a much more uniform and cohesive look to the machine. I personally like the red theme on the Premium and would like to keep that theme going with the speaker/ DMD surround.
The Blue looks right at home on a Pro model and especially on pro models with matching blue rails, blue lockdown bar and blue legs (the equilevent to the Premiums red rails, red lockdown bar and red legs)
I would gladly pay the price difference.

There's no realistic way to do that, just in terms of printing logistics.

But I can tell you that the machine I used as my development game was a Premium, and the whole thing was designed to look good with that (though obviously the Pro as well).

I'm not from the school of color theory that says "everything must match". Accents colors lead to better designs than uniformity IMHO.

#833 8 years ago
Quoted from Kholmes:

Aurich, where are we at for the translite orders? Thanks!

Basically waiting on me to get my shit together.

I've had a little lull in Alien stuff, waiting for Fox to respond to things, and I've used that to catch up on all the old stuff, was way behind on orders. Alien has been like adding a second job, and it's just been harder to play mail order shop with that. I know people are waiting, and I still want to take care of everyone, so I appreciate the patience.

I think I have maybe 5 Star Trek packages left, I need to look at my pre-order list, get the first 5 people covered, and then look at who's left and figure out another order, I'm pretty sure I have more than enough people.

#836 8 years ago

And you're speaking with the printer about the sticking issues you had with the second run?

Yeah, already done, the last batch was printed with a stronger adhesive. Only a couple people actually had issues, I don't know what the common factor was, but it was easy enough to bump up the strength. Makes them a little harder to reposition maybe, but seemed worth it.

#839 8 years ago

If anyone else wants in, this is the time to sign up:

I'm putting in the order on Monday.

#841 8 years ago
Quoted from PWhiz:

It still kind of blows my mind a little how the speaker panel decal just gives off the impression that it is glowing. Not just in pics, but in real life, especially when you have speaker lights.

I never did do speaker lights. Maybe the new owner of my pin will. It's in a happy home being appreciated, which makes me feel good.

I'm glad Stern is doing full color speaker decals now, not sure why they did black and white for Star Trek and Mustang. Looks so much nicer with some color there.

By the way, I said I'd put in the new order on Monday. Totally spaced that Monday was a holiday, so call it Tuesday instead.

#843 8 years ago

I've been asked to shut down this project. As promised earlier in the thread I'm doing so without argument. If you have any questions just shoot me a PM and we can discuss it privately.

Thanks everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-new-original-translite-decals?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.