ferrite-clip-on-hem3012.jpg
ferrite core.jpg
wires2.JPG
wires1.JPG
222030-i.jpg
14454078532_e6429bfbf5_b-2.jpg
14454317984_abbcc55fa8_b-655.jpg
twisted wire.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steve1515.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#401 9 years ago

Does the twisting fix also correct the problem where you can double flip to get hits to the ship during the 2nd Vengeance mode while the ball is still behind the drop target?

#404 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Sounds like a cold solder on one of the transceivers. the twisted wires won't help with that.

I don't have the problem, but I thought the same thing. Twisting the wires can't possibly solve the problem, but I was wondering what people with the problem are seeing.

#414 9 years ago

Which opto wires are twisted together? Is it the lower opto receiver and transmitter are together and the upper's are together also? Or, is it both the left upper and lower opto boards are twisted together and both the right's are together?

I ask because, looking at the pictures it looks like the twisted wires are both coming out of the same hole in the playfield. On my game both the rights come out of the same hole and both the lefts come out of another hole. I would have thought that you would want to twist together the wires from a corresponding opto (i.e. both the bottoms together and both the upper opto wires together).

So, I'm a little confused as to what's the right way. Which way should it be done?

#417 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

If you are referring to my pictures, there are two holes. You can kind of see it in the second picture -- the hole at the bottom center is the hole you see in the first picture. I hope that helps.

Yes, I was talking about your pictures. So basically what I meant was that you have a hole on both the left and right of the vengeance. The two opto cables on the right side of the ship (for the upper and lower optos) go into the right side hole. And, the two opto cables on the left side of the ship (for the upper and lower optos) go into the left side hole.

So, the way it's shown in your picture, it looks like Stern twisted together the two rights and also twisted together the two lefts. I thought the fix was to twist together the two lower optos and also twist together the two upper optos. It doesn't appear that's how it's done one your game, unless they fed the wires thought the holes differently than on mine. Can you check to see which optos you have twisted together?

#419 9 years ago

Yes, it does thank you. So it does appear that Stern is mixing optos in their twisting. I would think that they would keep the twisting between the sender/receiver optos of the same switch.

@Kneissl: Does it matter which two you twist together?

#421 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Yes it matters; The wires you twist are already attached.

Ah, now I see where the confusion is.

In your original photo, you are doing what I think makes the most sense and twisting the "speaker wire" to make a "twisted pair"...that's two conductors, so in the end since there are four opto boards in the vengeance, you will have four twisted pairs each with two conductors.

I was looking at Nokoro's picture, and it looks like Stern is twisting the "speaker wire" of two opto boards together to get a twisted pair with four conductors in it. I think Stern, like myself misunderstood the twisting and how it's done.

Now, I get it... You only twist the single "speaker wire" from each individual opto board.

Kneissl, do I have it right?

Maybe someone should tell Stern they are implementing the fix the wrong way.

#425 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I don't think you should assume Stern copied and pasted Kneissl's fix. They have engineers just for situations like this. I would hope that they tested any fix before they switched the assembly procedure.

Yes, that's true, but looking at Nokoro's picture, it looks like they just twisted together both the right opto boards and both the left opto boards--that's not twisting the individual opto boards wires, but twisting them around each other to make a 4 conductor twist. It may work just because of the spiraling that you get in the end, but it just doesn't seem to make sense to do it that way. You get more twists per inch doing it Kneissl's way which will lead to better noise rejection. Plus, it seems more labor intensive to do it the way Stern did it in the picture. Twisting each individual opto's speaker wire by itself would be faster/more cost effective which makes me think that Stern misunderstood the fix.

#430 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

This problem is now happening more and more to me despite the twisted wires from Stern.

You might want to undo Stern's version of the fix and redo it by twisting the four individual two-conductor pairs. I think that will help. If you still have a problem, then go with the ferrite.

I'd be interested to see if the problem is caused by Stern's twist implementation.

#443 9 years ago

Nicoga3000, are you implementing the twist like Stern is doing it or doing it the way the original fix was done? The original fix twists the individual two conductor pair and, I believe, is a better fix than what Stern is doing. See my posts above for details.

1 month later
#477 9 years ago

For those having the problem: Are you guys using the original Stern balls or have you switched them out?
If you've switched them out, what type of balls are you using?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Marshfield, MO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider steve1515.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-multiball-magnet?tu=steve1515 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.