ferrite-clip-on-hem3012.jpg
ferrite core.jpg
wires2.JPG
wires1.JPG
222030-i.jpg
14454078532_e6429bfbf5_b-2.jpg
14454317984_abbcc55fa8_b-655.jpg
twisted wire.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robknapp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#229 10 years ago
Quoted from nodyeliab:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue and if there is a fix. When the ball locks on the magnet for vengeance multiball and I try to hit it with the other ball, it either sticks to the ball or it bounces off, but doesn't start the multiball, it ends up timing out and then starts the multiball.

I have been following your issue . Read every post. I really love pinball. Been collecting for almost 20 years. I am just not technically inclined period. I did all the The Avengers LE adjustments. BW ramp shim , BW ramp plastic shim. Stabled the shooter lane plastic. I did All the X-Men adjustments had all ramp post changed to have rubbers sleeves PITA. Wolverine Remount major PITA. I was planning on purchasing a ST Premium or LE if I can find one in Colorado. But I do not want to deal with this drama. I have never played the game as of yet. How bad is this issue as it pertains to the actual game play. I am a perfectionist . I know it would bother me. The Avengers HULK ball hang =ups I got over them . Ice Man ramp blocking my view dealing with it. Does this ST Vengeance muliball hang up affect the game play so much that it ruin's the game so much that it has to be fixed. Or is it more of an annoyance in the way that The HULK toy would cause ball searches. I just do not know a lot about ST . My point is can you live with it. If so I may still Purchase ST . Or does it ruin the game if not fixed. If that is the case. I do not want to roll the dice and will just not pursue the purchase of This title. Thanks for your input.

#235 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

nodyeliab said:Hello, I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue and if there is a fix. When the ball locks on the magnet for vengeance multiball and I try to hit it with the other ball, it either sticks to the ball or it bounces off, but doesn't start the multiball, it ends up timing out and then starts the multiball.
I have been following your issue . Read every post. I really love pinball. Been collecting for almost 20 years. I am just not technically inclined period. I did all the The Avengers LE adjustments. BW ramp shim , BW ramp plastic shim. Stabled the shooter lane plastic. I did All the X-Men adjustments had all ramp post changed to have rubbers sleeves PITA. Wolverine Remount major PITA. I was planning on purchasing a ST Premium or LE if I can find one in Colorado. But I do not want to deal with this drama. I have never played the game as of yet. How bad is this issue as it pertains to the actual game play. I am a perfectionist . I know it would bother me. The Avengers HULK ball hang =ups I got over them . Ice Man ramp blocking my view dealing with it. Does this ST Vengeance muliball hang up affect the game play so much that it ruin's the game so much that it has to be fixed. Or is it more of an annoyance in the way that The HULK toy would cause ball searches. I just do not know a lot about ST . My point is can you live with it. If so I may still Purchase ST . Or does it ruin the game if not fixed. If that is the case. I do not want to roll the dice and will just not pursue the purchase of This title. Thanks for your input.

Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not a magnetized ball issue on RVDV's game

Help me out. What is a RVDV's game ?

#277 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I still do not have this issue on my STLE.

I just purchased a STLE. It does not appear to have the Vengeance Muli-ball magnet issue. But it is brand new. My Question is It has the 1.41 code . 1.42 added a few minor adjustments. I am worried that if I update to 1.42 It may develop Vengeance Multi-Ball issue. Ant thoughts . Peace.

Quoted from gweempose:This is not encouraging news at all. I believe it's the first I have heard of a game without any symptoms at all suddenly developing the problem. This means that no game is immune. I sure hope Stern can figure out what's going on here.

I hope this does not start on mine. That sucks for every one with this issue.

2 weeks later
#286 10 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

I flipped flopped where opts plug in board works everytime now I do have front eye transmitting from right to left eye and back set left to right

Sounds good but I have dyslexia and I am now cornfused !!

#295 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've tried everything I can think of, and the problem still persists. I flip flopped the wires, swapped out optos, swapped out boards, bent out the connector pins, etc ... Nothing has helped

I am no tech. But if but if STERN has replaced all the hardware in question . and the end result is not working. Maybe it time to ask STERN for Main boards to be changed. What is Pat or Chas telling you after all this work and trail and error . This is a bad situation . E-Mail Gary this is not acceptable [email protected]

#298 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

. E-Mail Gary this is not acceptable [email protected]

Time to play hard ball . In a constructive manner . Use the sandwich sales method. Start out with a positive statement . Then get to the heart of the problem in a constructive but stern statement . Followed up by a positive plea for action . Time to bypass the service department . I have sent Gary emails before and he did respond .

#311 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I'm 100 percent so far with my wires twisted... My guess is some kind of interference from wherever frequency they pulse the magnet coil when it holds.

I am not having the Vengeance Muti_Ball issue. Only 160 plays. And it releases 100%. my machine will miss a back to back Vengeance hit on once Multi- Ball has started every once I a while. Asked a fellow pinsider via PM who is not having Muli- Ball start issue either and he confirmed that his machine will not register every sigle hit once Multi-ball has started. My question is What wires are you twisting exactly are they hard to get to ? As I have not needed to mess with my machine since it works for the topic of this thread. But I would like to do what ever you have done to see if it will bring my Vengeance hits to 100%

Thanks .

#316 10 years ago

Stop , Touch and Tell . OK got it . What is your phone number so I can report in.

3 months later
#491 9 years ago

Mark this topic unresolved as it clearly is not. My STLE did not develop this issue till about 400 games . My machine will work as intended 60 % to 70 % of the time. But after twisting the opto wires and adding ferrite core beads last night. The pinballs will still get stuck during the Vengeance muti-ball 30 to 40 % of the time. Tested optos in switch test and they work. It is areal head scratcher . At least it is not a problem 100 % of the time. That being said . This issue is a real let down and not sure what can be done .

#495 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Have you checked to see if the balls are magnetized

Yes I checked using staples . Pinballs are not magnetized .

#499 9 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Mark this topic unresolved as it clearly is not. My STLE did not develop this issue till about 400 games . My machine will work as intended 60 % to 70 % of the time. But after twisting the opto wires and adding ferrite core beads last night. The pinballs will still get stuck during the Vengeance muti-ball 30 to 40 % of the time. Tested optos in switch test and they work. It is areal head scratcher . At least it is not a problem 100 % of the time. That being said . This issue is a real let down and not sure what can be done .

Edit : I just spent two hours playing STLE and Vengeance Multi-Ball worked guessing first 10 plays 100 % . Then game 11& 12 up to its tricks pinball stuck together ,WTF . Game 13- 16 Vengeance Muti- ball worked as intended. My machine needs an Exorcist . I deem it Possessed .

#501 9 years ago

This issue is a cluster fuck .

Quoted from nicoga3000:

Pat: Do optic switches 33 and 34 register during switch test? Do either of these switches register during switch test if you pound on the playfield?
Me: Switches register during switch test and do not register when I pound the playfield.
Pat: Try reseating the (2) and (5) pin connectors going to the opto amplifier boards under the playfield. Also, inspect the wires going into the connectors for poor crimps.
Me: I checked everything and played a few games. Ball is still sticking. I noticed that it stuck with the right flipper one game, and the left flipper on another.
Pat: Please swap the amplifier boards under the playfield and see if the problem persists

I have done all the above and more. tested every opto wire by taping pounding tugging on wires in switch test trying to get the opto to trip. Nothing . Opto only trip when beam is broken as intended . Swap of amplifier board did nothing to fix flakey issue. I tapped on all boards and pulled on all wires in switch test . Optos will not trigger if beam is not broken as intended. Wire twisted ferrite core beads in place . If all boards work and all switches work . Why does my STLE not work during Vengeance Muti-Ball 45% of the time ? STERN is sending me all new optos (4) and a new amplifier board . But the components that are in my pinball already all work 100% according to hours of trouble shooting testing . Any thoughts I am at my wits end.
Played and documented 35 games regarding Vengeance magnet issues .
1. normal
2.normal
3.flakey = pinball on magnet . Shot second pinball into area breaking opto# 33 but pinball did not stick nor did it release ball on opto#34/magnet. Second hard shot released pinball on magnet and launched 3rd pinball into play .
4.flakey
5. flakey
6.stuck = pinball one and two stuck together timed out then released.
7. stuck
8.normal
9.normal
10.stuck
11.stuck
12.normal
13.normal
14.normal
15. stuck
16.normal
17.stuck
18. flakey
19. normal
20.flakey
21.normal
22. normal
23.normal . got to second Vengeance where magnet grabs pinball. Second pinball stuck timed out
24.stuck
25. normal
26.normal
27. normal
28.flakey
29. normal
30. normal
31.flakey
32. stuck
33. stuck
34. normal
35. flakey
Note : Due to this annoying magnet issue. I increased the time to knock / trip opto#33 . If pinball's get stuck together and you nailed the shot quickly . Do not touch flippers. Machine will go into ball search while the Vengeance timer has not reached zero. Magnet will release stuck pinball's and trip opto#33 on the way out and 3rd ball will be plunged into play. Open to all suggestions. Thanks Rob Knapp

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

arcade-cabinets.com

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 24.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robknapp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-multiball-magnet?tu=robknapp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.