ferrite-clip-on-hem3012.jpg
ferrite core.jpg
wires2.JPG
wires1.JPG
222030-i.jpg
14454078532_e6429bfbf5_b-2.jpg
14454317984_abbcc55fa8_b-655.jpg
twisted wire.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicoga3000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#391 9 years ago

New Premium owner - twisted the wires while doing the pinbits install. Had an issue my first game (prior to twisting...), but since then, started Vengeance multiple times with no hangups whatsoever.

Thank you guys for finding this fix!

1 week later
#399 9 years ago

Do I need to twist both sets of the wires? I think I only have one set twisted and that may be why my ball keeps getting stuck on the magnet...

1 week later
#433 9 years ago

So I've twisted the optos and moved the wires away from the magnet...But now I'm getting ball sticks every time I get to Vengeance - left or right flipper shot. Any thoughts?

#436 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

We're you getting them before? Are your balls magnetized like mine? Do they come loose with a shake?
I just got the ultra gloss balls from pinballlife but haven't had a chance to put them in yet. I'm hoping that stops the occaisional stuck ball that I get.

I was having the issue, yeah. I'm also using the pinballlife balls already. And no, they don't come loose with a shake - in fact, they get stuck every single time I've noticed. I'm REALLY unhappy about it...That's one of the cooler features of this game. I'm thinking of calling Stern tomorrow and bitching to see what they may be able to suggest otherwise (unless that's a lost cause?).

E: Anyone with a Premium able to post a pic of your wires and how you have them oriented? I want to see if SOMEHOW I screwed up.

#439 9 years ago

I'll be calling them first thing Monday morning. I'll report back!

#444 9 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Nicoga3000, are you implementing the twist like Stern is doing it or doing it the way the original fix was done? The original fix twists the individual two conductor pair and, I believe, is a better fix than what Stern is doing. See my posts above for details.

Original - and yeah, I've followed the best I can. I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow and show what I've done...See if maybe I'm doing it wrong?

#446 9 years ago

The arrows correspond to the board that the twisted wires connect to.

I originally only had the green set, but when the ball was sticking still, I did the blue set. The ball was still sticking, so I tried the orange set today.

If you follow each set of wires, you can see that they have a small loop in them...I can't imagine that would cause a problem, but it's something to point out.

ST Premium Optos.jpgST Premium Optos.jpg

#448 9 years ago

So do I need to actually take the protective coating off the wire?

#450 9 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

No, do not take the coating (actually, insulation) off.

Yeah, I'm confused. I thought I was doing it right by twisting the two wires together as I show in my pic. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong if my pic is incorrect. I don't know if the premium is any different than the pro in terms of what wires need twisting?

#454 9 years ago

So I corrected my optos and it still happens. I'll be in contact with Stern tomorrow. Thanks for the pics!

#459 9 years ago

I will try and call after work. Had to take dog to vet yesterday (followed by crazy storms). I want this fixed because it's sort of a key feature for that mode.

2 weeks later
#469 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Did you ever have a chance to contact Stern? Just curious as to what they said.

I've been back and forth with Pat via email. No luck with a solution yet. His last email said:

Try reseating the (2) and (5) pin connectors going to the opto amplifier boards under the playfield. Also, inspect the wires going into the connectors for poor crimps.

I told him the issue still persisted, so we'll see what he says.

2 weeks later
#500 9 years ago

I've gotten a few requests for the status of my Star Trek magnet fix. Here's summarized chain of emails I had with Pat at Stern. For what it's worth, I seem to have managed to solve my problem, so hope those with persisting issues can get some help from Pat's final statement!

Me: I have a Star Trek Premium and have been experiencing an issue since I've had it. During the Vengeance multiball, you are supposed to use the ball to knock the held ball off the magnet to begin a 3-ball multiball. The problem is that when I hit this ball, the second ball gets stuck and doesn't release until the 15 second timer is up. On the Pinside.com forums, there is a thread about this. I have read and followed through with the changes/tweaks that everyone has suggested (twisting the opto wires to eliminate any noise), however this has not worked. I'm wondering if the board is bad or something else is wrong.

Pat: Do optic switches 33 and 34 register during switch test? Do either of these switches register during switch test if you pound on the playfield?

Me: Switches register during switch test and do not register when I pound the playfield.

Pat: Try reseating the (2) and (5) pin connectors going to the opto amplifier boards under the playfield. Also, inspect the wires going into the connectors for poor crimps.

Me: I checked everything and played a few games. Ball is still sticking. I noticed that it stuck with the right flipper one game, and the left flipper on another.

Pat: Please swap the amplifier boards under the playfield and see if the problem persists.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicoga3000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-multiball-magnet?tu=nicoga3000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.