ferrite-clip-on-hem3012.jpg
ferrite core.jpg
wires2.JPG
wires1.JPG
222030-i.jpg
14454078532_e6429bfbf5_b-2.jpg
14454317984_abbcc55fa8_b-655.jpg
twisted wire.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider keithinmi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#341 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I wonder if ferrite cores would do the trick as well.

That was my thought too. If it's RFI/EMI from the surrounding electronics then a ferrite core will definitely work. I need to get my digital probe on the optos and see what signals they are registering. IIRC, the opto receiver just registers a logical "high" when it 'sees' light and a logical 'low' when the beam is interrupted. I am not quite sure how the logic board could misinterpret that. In the logic-days-of-old, there is either +5v (or -5V) as a logical high and 0v when a logical low. Presumably when the opto receiver sees light, it conducts electricity and when there's no light, it doesn't.

The twisted pair works because noise such as EMI/RFI would travel down both conductors equally. When you twist them together the 'positive' magnetic field generated on lead number 1 by the emi/rfi will be cancelled out by the 'negative' magnetic field on lead number 2. The noise like that tends to ride 180 degrees out of phase on the leads and therefore will net out to zero when twisted like that.

As an additional step, I'd probably throw ferrite beads on the leads from the opto receiver board back to the cpu.

#342 10 years ago

On re-inspection of the pic a few posts above I think I may see what the problem is. Those leads run damn close to the magnet in the playfield AND the motor for the Vengeance. When that coil is energized (as it would be when the first ball is trapped), I'd gather there is all sorts of magnetic flux leaking from that coil. That magnetic energy would induce a voltage in those wires easily which might be enough to fool the cpu into thinking the opto is in a state it is not (eg., when the second ball breaks the beam, there is still sufficient voltage to make the cpu think it is in a 'high' state (beam not broken) when it actually is broken.

As a second suggestion, one could wrap the opto bundle in a foil-backed mylar, with the foil facing inwards (to not short anything out). Then just connect one end of the foil to ground.

#360 10 years ago
Quoted from Docray1:

I read through it, yes. As a new owner, I just dont want to start unplugging things randomly. With respect to shielding, I was wondering if there is a vendor who sells the stuff that can be wrapped around the wires instead of twisting them. Thats all...

Both Mouser and Jameco sell the foil-coated mylar wrap. I think I may have seen it at Parts Express too. If you're really daring and careful, you can even use aluminum foil and wrap. Just make sure that the foil does not touch (and will NEVER touch) anything else, especially connectors with any voltage on them whatsoever, because you would want to ground the foil and you will do significant damage (and blow fuses) if your connections get shorted to ground.

Alternatively, you could also buy shielded conduit (which is non-conductive on the outside) and run all the opto wires through that and just ground the shielding.

That being said, the twisting is easy to do. If you're nervous about it, just to be absolutely sure you put the right opto on the right pins, take a couple different colored sharpies and put a colored dot on the connectors and then as you remove them, put a colored dot on the plastic between the pins. then it's virtually impossible to plug them in wrong.

Prior to the way Stern labels the opto connectors, and with all my old Wms machines, I always put tags on every cable leading to a connector on the boards and under the playfield. I have a Brother labeler machine that prints the paper adhesive labels so I just make labels (J116, J111, etc) and wrap them around each cable. Two seconds of prevention is worth an hour of back-tracking trying figure out where sh*t goes!

#371 10 years ago
Quoted from LP30:

I just did the twist on each of the 4 pairs. First game, first shot on the captured ball and the 2nd ball hung on the magnet until the clock ran out like so many times before. Hoping for at least better performance. I'll try a different route for the wires as well.

try a ferrite bead on the wires. cheap, easy and won't harm anything. alternatively, you could buy a ferrite torroid (an "O") and wrap the opto wires round and around the "O". If you're going to go the ferrite bead route, put them close to the opto board.

small ferrite cores are like $0.30-$0.50 each. At ham radio swap 'n shops you can buy a bag of them for a couple bucks.

1 month later
#392 9 years ago
Quoted from SaminVA:

You can add me to the list. I have STLE # 012 and I have had this problem from day one but it's not all the time. Sometime it works like it should and sometimes it will hold the second ball. It doesn't matter if it's a soft or hard hit. I have seen a hard hit knock the first ball off the magnet and the second ball stops on the magnet.
I haven't tried the twisting wire fix yet. I have been keeping an eye on this thread to see if Stern ever admits theirs a problem and what fix they come up with but I am not holding my breath. If their's no official fix by the time they release the new code then I guess I will twist my wires.
I was playing tonight and my red DMD display developed the dot out vertical red line syndrome but that's another story.

I'll bet you see the new machines have the wires twisted from the factory.

2 weeks later
#461 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Did you loop the wires through the ferrite core like this?

That's the correct way to put the ferrite bead on. The more times you loop it through, the more ac inductance you create because that's a choke. The more AC inductance you have the better the wires reject emi/rfi, since its equal to 2*Pi*F*L

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider keithinmi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-multiball-magnet?tu=keithinmi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.