Topic Stats

• 539 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by paul_8788
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

004-120.JPG
003.JPG
IMG_20140629_070106.jpg
IMG_20140629_070201.jpg
shelted.jpg
radiation-twisted-pairs-1359143187_500_289_75.jpg
ST Premium Optos.jpg
Untitled.jpg
ferrite-clip-on-hem3012.jpg
ferrite core.jpg
wires2.JPG
wires1.JPG
222030-i.jpg
14454078532_e6429bfbf5_b-2.jpg
14454317984_abbcc55fa8_b-655.jpg
twisted wire.png

There are 539 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 11.
#251 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

How have they not addressed this yet? Are you guys just living with it or calling Stern?

I dunno, mine works fine except for that thing where flipping both buttons during Vengeance 2 & 3 count as hits. *shrug*

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I dunno, mine works fine except for that thing where flipping both buttons during Vengeance 2 & 3 count as hits. *shrug*

I'd be on the phone to Stern constantly until it was resolved except for the fact that mine works perfectly. I feel for everyone who's having trouble though.

#253 5 years ago

I called waited on hold left message nothing yet I'll call all day tomorrow

#254 5 years ago

I've been out of town, but I plan on calling Stern as soon as I get home. Chas was very responsive when I called the first time. Unfortunately, his solution didn't fix the problem. Since I live so close to Stern, maybe they could send a tech out to my house and figure out what's going on.

#255 5 years ago

That's what I want a tech to fix this should be our problem new from box to take out boards and replace or resolder what ever that case maybe to resolve the issue many of us are having

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

Did it fix the problem?

Yep my game works perfectly now

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

I don't follow how if the opto is working fine in tests it can still be bad to cause this problem?

My opto would randomly trigger in test mode when I wasn't even near the game. I had an intermittent bad opto on the right side under the vengeance and once I replaced it the problem went away. What I noticed when I put the game in test mode was that when the opto would trigger the light on the opto would go out. There was a bad connection on the little printed circuit board attached to the opto and when the opto powers down and then right back on it showed in test mode that the opto switch had been triggered. During game play this caused all sorts of weird crap like the drop target constantly resetting over and over.

It's fixed now and I'm happy

#258 5 years ago

mine sticks and patrick is sending me two optos for the vengeance ront and an amplifier board shall see if that works, problem is intermittent

#259 5 years ago

Sucks that they are expecting us to replace these parts on our own time I bought new so I didn't have to replace stuff two days out of box

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Sucks that they are expecting us to replace these parts on our own time I bought new so I didn't have to replace stuff two days out of box

Realistically what would you suggest? You don't want to pack your pin back up and ship it to Stern I assume? They can't fly their tech to you, they'd go broke and stop making pins if that was the case.

Not that I want anyone to have problems, but this is pinball, if you aren't cool with getting your hands dirty, or at least paying for a personal tech to get dirty for you I guess, then it's not really the right hobby for you. Things are gonna break, that's just inevitable. NIB or not. These are machines crammed with electronics and wires and physical mechanisms with a heavy steel ball smashing around, it's only a matter of time no matter the quality control.

#261 5 years ago

I don't have a problem fixing or replacing all I'm say is that this is an issue fresh from box. Should be taken care of before they just keep shipping more out. Oh and I'm only 2 1/2 hour drive so yeah no plane ticket needed

#262 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Should be taken care of before they just keep shipping more out.

No argument here, why have they not figured it out yet, obviously enough people are having problems. It's not a 100%, we know that, but it's enough that you'd think they'd have solved it by now. Everyone should be calling them, not waiting for someone else to figure it out. They'll get the message.

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

My buddy had issues fresh out of the box. Stern paid for a local tech to come do the work ... Might be worth asking?

#264 5 years ago

So anyone have luck with just changing out boards? Switch test is fine I activate by hand roll balls in fine just when in play it does stick to each other. Also having it just hold one from time to time I can hit it dead center won't drop it. I bent pins out doesn't help any updates I'll call Monday again and try getting help again maybe some parts to

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Also having it just hold one from time to time I can hit it dead center won't drop it.

I've had this happen occasionally as well.

#266 5 years ago

Gweempose does yours also stick two balls together almost all the time?

#267 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Gweempose does yours also stick two balls together almost all the time?

Yes.

#268 5 years ago

So does mine. Stern has put out tech fix papers before for known problems this widespread no? They should do something with step by step instructions.

#269 5 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

So does mine. Stern has put out tech fix papers before for known problems this widespread no? They should do something with step by step instructions.

I'm not sure they have figured out exactly what's going on yet.

#270 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm not sure they have figured out exactly what's going on yet.

I agree - I spoke with Patrick and he is sending me new optos and board, sounds like they are fishing, but trying

#271 5 years ago

Keep us posted mn- flipper cause I'll be calling Monday for same thing

#272 5 years ago

Really don't see it being ops I mean works for lock balls every time. Switch test it works everytime after work I'm going to hold flipper down and try it see if then it doesn't I seen someone on this thread post that

#273 5 years ago

I was not having an issue for the first couple months, but recently my balls are always getting stuck on magnet.
Have an LE with latest code too.
I will have to test things out when I get back home, but just wanted to share that I now have the issue.

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from Skulz:

I was not having an issue for the first couple months, but recently my balls are always getting stuck on magnet. Have an LE with latest code too. I will have to test things out when I get back home, but just wanted to share that I now have the issue.

This is not encouraging news at all. I believe it's the first I have heard of a game without any symptoms at all suddenly developing the problem. This means that no game is immune. I sure hope Stern can figure out what's going on here.

#276 5 years ago

I still do not have this issue on my STLE.

Sometimes the balls will cling together on the magnet momentarily before falling out, but they always fall out. I will give the pin a nudge when I see the balls cling together to help them out.

#277 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I still do not have this issue on my STLE.

I just purchased a STLE. It does not appear to have the Vengeance Muli-ball magnet issue. But it is brand new. My Question is It has the 1.41 code . 1.42 added a few minor adjustments. I am worried that if I update to 1.42 It may develop Vengeance Multi-Ball issue. Ant thoughts . Peace.

Quoted from gweempose:This is not encouraging news at all. I believe it's the first I have heard of a game without any symptoms at all suddenly developing the problem. This means that no game is immune. I sure hope Stern can figure out what's going on here.

I hope this does not start on mine. That sucks for every one with this issue.

#278 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This is not encouraging news at all. I believe it's the first I have heard of a game without any symptoms at all suddenly developing the problem. This means that no game is immune.

I'm not convinced everyone knows exactly what the problem is. On pros I've played, they've all done it to some degree. Soft shot sticks to the other ball, hard shot knocks both balls loose. So is the problem that it sticks every time and never adds the third ball? Or is it a problem that only happens occasionally? If the latter, is it how it was designed? (with a few bad optos/opto boards sprinkled in)

Either way, it's not a huge problem. Not as bad as balls getting stuck on Hulk, the bad bell optos on the first AC/DC premiums or the hammer issues on MET premiums/LE's. So can we please stop using words like 'immune'? It's a bug at worst, not the black plague.

Quoted from RobKnapp:

I am worried that if I update to 1.42 It may develop Vengeance Multi-Ball issue.

Backup 1.41 first, then update to 1.42. Backup option is in the utilities menu. Doubt the change will do anything to Vengeance.

#279 5 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I just purchased a STLE. It does not appear to have the Vengeance Muli-ball magnet issue. But it is brand new. My Question is It has the 1.41 code . 1.42 added a few minor adjustments. I am worried that if I update to 1.42 It may develop Vengeance Multi-Ball issue. Ant thoughts .

It's not a code problem. Update away, I'm running 1.42 without any issues. It may be that there is something in the code that can fix it, adjust how the optos are being read or something, but it's not a pure software bug at the very least.

#280 5 years ago

So I unplugged ops on board and flip flopped spots so far I've had 5 out of 5 work while playing. Still having new ops and board sent but if you haven't tried this yet worth a shot

#281 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Either way, it's not a huge problem. Not as bad as balls getting stuck on Hulk

Stuck balls on HULK is completely a mechanical problem and a mechanical fix. Simply remove the coil stop behind HULK's back, Put the bracket in a vise or down on a cement floor and tap the top of the bracket down, with a hammer, to a 90 degree angle and re-install in the game. Now there is enough adjustment to adjust HULK's arms high enough to let the ball slip by. Simple. It always surprises me why this stumps so many people

#282 5 years ago

it's a hardware problem for sure, that doesn't mean they can't do a software change to compensate. I got mine so I can't flip through the second vengeance, and the balls don't stick... most of the time..

2 weeks later
#283 5 years ago

Still having this nagging problem. Anyone else

#284 5 years ago

yup, just got more opto boards from stern.

#285 5 years ago

I flipped flopped where opts plug in board works everytime now I do have front eye transmitting from right to left eye and back set left to right

#286 5 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

I flipped flopped where opts plug in board works everytime now I do have front eye transmitting from right to left eye and back set left to right

Sounds good but I have dyslexia and I am now cornfused !!

#287 5 years ago

I flip flopped, and it seemed to work at first but i ended up going back

#288 5 years ago

I've tried everything I can think of, and the problem still persists. I flip flopped the wires, swapped out optos, swapped out boards, bent out the connector pins, etc ... Nothing has helped.

#289 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've tried everything I can think of, and the problem still persists. I flip flopped the wires, swapped out optos, swapped out boards, bent out the connector pins, etc ... Nothing has helped.

At least you're near Stern...throw the pin in your car and drive it over there lol.

Luckily my magnet has worked well since I unboxed it and still does.

#290 5 years ago

I'm curious...how many of you are playing with balls other than the ones Stern provided?

When I set up my game, I put in some balls I got from Pinball Life a while back and had issues with balls sticking together and not starting the game not starting multiball. When they were replaced with Stern balls, the problem seems to have disappeared.

#291 5 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I'm curious...how many of you are playing with balls other than the ones Stern provided?
When I set up my game, I put in some balls I got from Pinball Life a while back and had issues with balls sticking together and not starting the game not starting multiball. When they were replaced with Stern balls, the problem seems to have disappeared.

I am playing with PBL "Oh so shiny" balls. I suppose I could try using some Stern balls, but I don't know why that would work.

#292 5 years ago

Utterly unrelated to the balls. PBL glossies work great with magnets.

#293 5 years ago

To me, at least on my machine, it seems obvious the magnet is simply too powerful. Even a good direct hit rarely dislodges the ball and instead results in two balls stuck together. I've even seen the ball slightly dislodge only to be grabbed right back because of how strong it is. I think/hope turning down the power is possible in the software and is what they have to do. If they could make the magnets in X-Men so much more powerful in the last couple revisions, I don't see why they can't tone down the power on the ST one now.

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

To me, at least on my machine, it seems obvious the magnet is simply too powerful. Even a good direct hit rarely dislodges the ball and instead results in two balls stuck together. I've even seen the ball slightly dislodge only to be grabbed right back because of how strong it is. I think/hope turning down the power is possible in the software and is what they have to do. If they could make the magnets in X-Men so much more powerful in the last couple revisions, I don't see why they can't tone down the power on the ST one now.

It's only going to grab it back if it's turned on. Hitting the front opto shuts the magnet off, so it shouldn't strongly grab anything back. Sorry if it's already been covered in this thread - but when you hit the magnetized ball and it grabs both - is it shooting out a 3rd ball for the multiball? If not - the hit wasn't registered, therefore: Opto problem, not magnet problem.

#295 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've tried everything I can think of, and the problem still persists. I flip flopped the wires, swapped out optos, swapped out boards, bent out the connector pins, etc ... Nothing has helped

I am no tech. But if but if STERN has replaced all the hardware in question . and the end result is not working. Maybe it time to ask STERN for Main boards to be changed. What is Pat or Chas telling you after all this work and trail and error . This is a bad situation . E-Mail Gary this is not acceptable gary.stern@sternpinball.com

#296 5 years ago

Just tried the Stern balls. As I suspected, they didn't help.

#297 5 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I am no tech. But if but if STERN has replaced all the hardware in question . and the end result is not working. Maybe it time to ask STERN for Main boards to be changed. What is Pat or Chas telling you after all this work and trail and error .

I need to call back Chas. I've just been busy.

#298 5 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

. E-Mail Gary this is not acceptable gary.stern@sternpinball.com

Time to play hard ball . In a constructive manner . Use the sandwich sales method. Start out with a positive statement . Then get to the heart of the problem in a constructive but stern statement . Followed up by a positive plea for action . Time to bypass the service department . I have sent Gary emails before and he did respond .

#299 5 years ago

I twisted my wires and tried to keep them away from the magnet.. seems to be working so far

#300 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

To me, at least on my machine, it seems obvious the magnet is simply too powerful. Even a good direct hit rarely dislodges the ball and instead results in two balls stuck together.

That's not the issue, you're not actually physically knocking the ball off the magnet with the other ball, you just need to break the opto in front of it to release it. The issue is with the opto. Defective boards, something else, but totally unrelated to the magnet strength.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 539 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside