ferrite-clip-on-hem3012.jpg
ferrite core.jpg
wires2.JPG
wires1.JPG
222030-i.jpg
14454078532_e6429bfbf5_b-2.jpg
14454317984_abbcc55fa8_b-655.jpg
twisted wire.png
There are 539 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
#201 10 years ago

Just the one on the right.

#202 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

The exact same problem everyone else is having in this thread. I still think it's a SW issue.

Sorry you think that. Unfortunately, this belief will just make it harder for you to fix your game.

#203 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Just the one on the right.

Cool. I'll start with that one. It's a lot easier to get to than the one on the left.

#204 10 years ago

I swapped the opto driver board and all 4 transceivers in the magnet area between tx and rx and that seemed to help. one thing I noticed is the left flipper up to right ramp skill shot didn't seem to score every time, either that's a similar opto issue or the window on the shot is very small and you need to plunge a fast orbit to make the shot in time. anyone know the rules on that skill shot?

#205 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

ne thing I noticed is the left flipper up to right ramp skill shot didn't seem to score every time, either that's a similar opto issue or the window on the shot is very small and you need to plunge a fast orbit to make the shot in time. anyone know the rules on that skill shot?

Are you referring to the skill shot when you hold the left flipper button before plunging? If so, this skill shot is not always the right ramp. I believe it's random between the left ramp, the drop target/Vengeance, and the right ramp. The shot is illuminated by a quickly blinking Enterprise insert. It's timed, and you have to hit it before the light goes out.

#206 10 years ago

Update:

I replaced the lower right transceiver board with a new one. I was able to get to it by only removing the plastic above it and the Black Hole target (see photo). It was still a pain in the ass to swap, though, as there isn't enough room to maneuver a screw driver between the opto and the pop bumper. Unfortunately, the new opto did not make the problem go away. I then replaced the opto board under the playfield with a new one. This actually made the problem worse. The second ball now sticks to the first ball every time. I have to say, this whole situation is very frustrating indeed. I know some people's games are working perfectly, but I'm still convinced this problem is partly caused by a software glitch.

P1060464.JPGP1060464.JPG

#207 10 years ago

Sorry to hear that. This is one very strange problem, indeed.

#208 10 years ago

Has stern said anything to you guys about this? I just ordered one should be here next week getting worried now .

#209 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Update:
I replaced the lower right transceiver board with a new one. I was able to get to it by only removing the plastic above it and the Black Hole target (see photo). It was still a pain in the ass to swap, though, as there isn't enough room to maneuver a screw driver between the opto and the pop bumper. Unfortunately, the new opto did not make the problem go away. I then replaced the opto board under the playfield with a new one. This actually made the problem worse. The second ball now sticks to the first ball every time. I have to say, this whole situation is very frustrating indeed. I know some people's games are working perfectly, but I'm still convinced this problem is partly caused by a software glitch.

P1060464.JPG 710 KB

This is not a software problem. So what all have you done and why did you think to replace the opto?

#210 10 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Has stern said anything to you guys about this? I just ordered one should be here next week getting worried now .

My machine is totally fine. Rarehero's is fine. I've only played one machine that has an issue, there's no saying how widespread it is, I wouldn't worry until after you see a problem. If so I'm sure it's fixable.

#211 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is not a software problem. So what all have you done and why did you think to replace the opto?

I told Chas what my problem was, and this is how he suggested to fix it. Granted, I didn't try replacing the left board yet. It just seems like such a pain in the ass to get to that board.

#212 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I told Chas what my problem was, and this is how he suggested to fix it. Granted, I didn't try replacing the left board yet. It just seems like such a pain in the ass to get to that board.

Does the opto work in switch test? If they do I doubt changing out the boards will do anything.
I would take a closer look at the connectors to the opto boards under the playfield.
This is very strange how it happens to some but not all. So it can't be a software issue?

#213 10 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Does the opto work in switch test? If they do I doubt changing out the boards will do anything.
I would take a closer look at the connectors to the opto boards under the playfield.
This is very strange how it happens to some but not all. So it can't be a software issue?

The opto works perfectly in switch test, always has.

#214 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Not surprising, the problem seems to be tied to the optos + the flippers. As has been tested, they nominally work, but with erratic behavior for some when the flipper is held up. So the defect may not manifest itself until the circuit is under load for instance. Did you verify that you have that same issue with the glass off?

#215 10 years ago

When I got my NIB Pro after set up and everything was checked I started a game - when I hit the flippers it registered warp 1,2,3 etc without even hitting the ramps with the ball.. Traced down to opto on warp ramp rear - loosened screw a bit and problem gone. Was picking up vibration on ramp and triggering opto with flipper engagement

#216 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Did you verify that you have that same issue with the glass off?

Yes. Just like before, it works almost 100% of the time if I throw the second ball up there with my hand or trigger the opto with my finger.

#217 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If thats the case… I wouldn't change out the opto's too much of a PITA for no reason.
Not really sure how, but I'm not eliminating software issue???
I know some machines don't have this problem and some do so it doesn't make sense.

#218 10 years ago
Quoted from dug:

If thats the case… I wouldn't change out the opto's too much of a PITA for no reason.
Not really sure how, but I'm not eliminating software issue???
I know some machines don't have this problem and some do so it doesn't make sense.

If it was software they'd all have it. Something physical...board related, opto related, wiring related must be at play here.

#219 10 years ago

Put into switch test & thump the playfield & see if any switches activate.

#220 10 years ago

Diodes?

#221 10 years ago

I am at a loss

Replaced opto's , boards
Ball two still gets stuck on magnet ?
Even a third ball if you put it there

Stern has no answer to this problem
I played several machines from others
Some had same issue some didn't

Send me to the twilight zone ??

#222 10 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

I am at a loss
Replaced opto's , boards
Send me to the Twilight Zone ??

I'm curious, did you try that glass off test, where you roll the balls up by hand or break the opto with a pencil or something, no flippers involved? Might help to verify your issue is tied to the flippers like other people's seem to be.

#223 10 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

I am at a loss
Replaced opto's , boards
Send me to the Twilight Zone ??

Try putting "new" balls in… maybe the old ones are magnetized now?
It really is a head scratcher.

#224 10 years ago

I was experiencing the same problem with mine almost every time. I adjusted the pitch (raising the back legs). Now I've only had the two balls stick once in 50 or so plays. Hope this helps

#225 10 years ago

I am going to increase incline on the pin and put a fresh set of PL Shiny pinballs in the ST

#226 10 years ago
Quoted from c2scanada:

I am going to increase incline and and a fress set of PL Shiny pinballs

Let us know if this helps.

#227 10 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

I am at a loss

Replaced opto's , boards
Even a third ball if you put it there ...

When this happens, does you game also score points when you flip? Mine does.

#228 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

When this happens, does you game also score points when you flip? Mine does.

When you clip is it operating the warp ramp opto ??

#229 10 years ago
Quoted from nodyeliab:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue and if there is a fix. When the ball locks on the magnet for vengeance multiball and I try to hit it with the other ball, it either sticks to the ball or it bounces off, but doesn't start the multiball, it ends up timing out and then starts the multiball.

I have been following your issue . Read every post. I really love pinball. Been collecting for almost 20 years. I am just not technically inclined period. I did all the The Avengers LE adjustments. BW ramp shim , BW ramp plastic shim. Stabled the shooter lane plastic. I did All the X-Men adjustments had all ramp post changed to have rubbers sleeves PITA. Wolverine Remount major PITA. I was planning on purchasing a ST Premium or LE if I can find one in Colorado. But I do not want to deal with this drama. I have never played the game as of yet. How bad is this issue as it pertains to the actual game play. I am a perfectionist . I know it would bother me. The Avengers HULK ball hang =ups I got over them . Ice Man ramp blocking my view dealing with it. Does this ST Vengeance muliball hang up affect the game play so much that it ruin's the game so much that it has to be fixed. Or is it more of an annoyance in the way that The HULK toy would cause ball searches. I just do not know a lot about ST . My point is can you live with it. If so I may still Purchase ST . Or does it ruin the game if not fixed. If that is the case. I do not want to roll the dice and will just not pursue the purchase of This title. Thanks for your input.

#230 10 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

When you clip is it operating the warp ramp opto ??

No. There are no animations or callouts. The score just goes up every time I flip. If it was activating the Warp Ramp opto, wouldn't it be saying, "Warp 1, Warp 2, etc ..."?

#231 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

How bad is this issue as it pertains to the actual game play? I am a perfectionist . I know it would bother me ... Does this ST Vengeance multiball hang up affect the game play so much that it ruin's the game so much that it has to be fixed? Or is it more of an annoyance in the way that The HULK toy would cause ball searches?

It only appears to affect the beginning of Vengeance multiball, but it affects it in a pretty major way. Normally, the first ball is captured by the magnet, and then you have a limited amount of time to shoot a second ball up the middle. If you do this before the timer expires, you are rewarded with a third ball. When the opto fails to trigger, the second ball sticks to the first one until it times out. Both balls then get released, but you get screwed out of the third ball. You don't have to be a perfectionist to find this unacceptable.

#232 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

No. There are no animations or callouts. The score just goes up every time I flip. If it was activating the Warp Ramp opto, wouldn't it be saying, "Warp 1, Warp 2, etc ..."?

Yes - reason I ask is I had that problem and the rear warp ramp optos were picking up vibration and needed adjustment

#233 10 years ago
Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

I should also mention that a buddy of mine had some major opto issues on his NIB ST Pro. Some were even a result of flaws on the board(s) in the backbox in addition to the under playfield opto boards. He had a local tech come out and do some board work and replace some optos and I believe Stern footed the bill. All opto issues were solved after this. (I think he mentioned there were trough issues, issues with the spinner registering when you flipped the flipper, and a few others I can't remember) So, it's tough to tell if those were isolated to his machine or are related to the issues in this thread ...

Gweem- quoting myself from earlier in the thread. He had similar issues to what you are talking about. He had a tech come out and work on several things. Stern paid the invoice from the tech. (Or something along those lines) His ST has been working great ever since.

PM me and I'll give you my buddy's information.

#234 10 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Try putting "new" balls in… maybe the old ones are magnetized now?
It really is a head scratcher.

It's not a magnetized ball issue on RVDV's game....it doesn't recognize that you hit the captured ball - that's why it gets stuck...because the captured ball is still captured.

RVDV - now that you've replaced all that stuff, what happens in switch test? Do those optos work normally in switch test?

#235 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

nodyeliab said:Hello, I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue and if there is a fix. When the ball locks on the magnet for vengeance multiball and I try to hit it with the other ball, it either sticks to the ball or it bounces off, but doesn't start the multiball, it ends up timing out and then starts the multiball.
I have been following your issue . Read every post. I really love pinball. Been collecting for almost 20 years. I am just not technically inclined period. I did all the The Avengers LE adjustments. BW ramp shim , BW ramp plastic shim. Stabled the shooter lane plastic. I did All the X-Men adjustments had all ramp post changed to have rubbers sleeves PITA. Wolverine Remount major PITA. I was planning on purchasing a ST Premium or LE if I can find one in Colorado. But I do not want to deal with this drama. I have never played the game as of yet. How bad is this issue as it pertains to the actual game play. I am a perfectionist . I know it would bother me. The Avengers HULK ball hang =ups I got over them . Ice Man ramp blocking my view dealing with it. Does this ST Vengeance muliball hang up affect the game play so much that it ruin's the game so much that it has to be fixed. Or is it more of an annoyance in the way that The HULK toy would cause ball searches. I just do not know a lot about ST . My point is can you live with it. If so I may still Purchase ST . Or does it ruin the game if not fixed. If that is the case. I do not want to roll the dice and will just not pursue the purchase of This title. Thanks for your input.

Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not a magnetized ball issue on RVDV's game

Help me out. What is a RVDV's game ?

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Help me out. What is a RVDV's game ?

The game that belongs to rvdv aka Robert, which happens to be a Star Trek LE.

#237 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

There are no animations or callouts. The score just goes up every time I flip.

If no dots or sounds, I assume you can see the points being scored. How many points are being scored each flip? That's your clue.

Also, have you put the game in switch test and pounded on the playfield?

#238 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

If no dots or sounds, I assume you can see the points being scored. How many points are being scored each flip? That's your clue.

Also, have you put the game in switch test and pounded on the playfield?

I'm out of town right now. When I get home, I'll do some experimenting.

#239 10 years ago

Hi all

I have done some more follow up reading more tips

With the pencil test , game releases first ball and start 3 ball mutliball
No extra scoring when ball 1 is locked and flipper gets pressed before doing the pencil thing

Now in normal game play, shooting the ball in, 2nd ball gets stuck on magnet as well
ones ball search comes both balls are released and no 3 ball mutliball ( arrgggghhhhh)

Looks to me the timing needs to be faster between opto reading and magnet ball release

Hate to say it but its the speed of my balls going into it that they get stuck

any comments ?

#240 10 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Hi all
I have done some more follow up reading more tips
With the pencil test , game releases first ball and start 3 ball mutliball
No extra scoring when ball 1 is locked and flipper gets pressed before doing the pencil thing
Now in normal game play, shooting the ball in, 2nd ball gets stuck on magnet as well
ones ball search comes both balls are released and no 3 ball mutliball ( arrgggghhhhh)
Looks to me the timing needs to be faster between opto reading and magnet ball release
Hate to say it but its the speed of my balls going into it that they get stuck
any comments ?

I'm not sure what the fix is, but it's still abnormal. Mine will release the captured ball & give you the 3rd whether the ball goes in super fast or super slow.

#241 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not sure what the fix is, but it's still abnormal. Mine will release the captured ball & give you the 3rd whether the ball goes in super fast or super slow.

It's a mystery for sure.
Yours is the only one I played so far that
Is playing correct

You lucky devil

#242 10 years ago

Strange problem. Mine works as it it should so can't offer any further suggestions.

#243 10 years ago

mine is working, I sometimes get a slight flicker off if the opto is interrupted and flippers are flipped. no false switch hits if the optos are not already interrupted... this is with a new opto driver board.. I noticed I scored vengeance points flipping before the drop target let go. confirmed in switch test

#244 10 years ago

It couldn't have anything to do with installing a cliffy around the magnet could it? Mine worked fine until I installed the CLiffy, I'm sure it's just a conincident?

#245 10 years ago

Just got my game today and it does it everytime so far

#246 10 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Just got my game today and it does it everytime so far

Does what? Work correctly or stickyballs?

#247 10 years ago

Don't know if this is related to the problem I was having, but on a different board? -
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-summary-of-fixes/page/2#post-1523924

#248 10 years ago

Sticking everytime

#249 10 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Sticking everytime

Too many people are having this problem. Stern really needs to re-engineer SOMETHING so that this doesn't keep happening to people right out of the box.

#250 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Too many people are having this problem. Stern really needs to re-engineer SOMETHING so that this doesn't keep happening to people right out of the box.

How have they not addressed this yet? Are you guys just living with it or calling Stern?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

There are 539 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-multiball-magnet/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.