(Topic ID: 230239)

Stern Star Trek: Lost all controlled and GI Lights, Except....

By dschulpius

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TomGWI
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hi all,

I just picked up a beautiful Stern ST Premium today. The model has the changing multi colored LED lights under the clear PF inserts and for the GI. They were working perfectly and the game was playing like a dream. Got it home and after playing a few games I noticed that there were moments that all lights (GI and Controlled) would go dark. Then all of the sudden the whole game went dark except the Start button on the front of the gams, Punch It Button on the Hold Down Bar and the coin lights on the coin door.

This reminds me of the problems that JJP was having with the first generation of the multi-colored LED PF lights ON WOZ pins they were building. I currently have a WOZ and have never had to deal with this issue.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to start looking. I have a feeling it's a connection issue I'm not really fimulay with this era of pins to know for sure and where to start.

Thanks for the help, Dave Schulpius

#2 5 years ago

Resolved: After looking closely at the underside of the playfield for loose connections, broken wires or other oddities everything looked fine to me. I noticed that none of the power indicator lights were light on any of the under playfield LED boards. I then tapped and lightly banged on the PF and was happy to see that all the insert and GI lights flashed on for a 1/2 second once. I then started tapping around the LED boards and tugging on wires. When I got to the main LED board in the center of the PF (with the Bridge Rectifier and fuse on it) I got a real nice and consistent flash of all lights when I tapped on this board. This had to be the location! Looking closely I saw that the little L1 cap was bent slight over. Pushing on it caused all lights to come on completely!

I can now see that one leg of this cap is broken. I'll need to pull this board and solder a new one in there. When complete I'm sure all will be working again.

1 year later
    #3 3 years ago

I think I have the same problem, did you ever come up with a permanent fix for this issue? It sounds like I'd have to get a new SAMS board.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hunterxero:

I think I have the same problem, did you ever come up with a permanent fix for this issue? It sounds like I'd have to get a new SAMS board.

Sounds like he replaced a capacitor on one of the main LED Boards in the middle of the playfield.

Quoted from dschulpius:

Resolved: When I got to the main LED board in the center of the PF (with the Bridge Rectifier and fuse on it) I got a real nice and consistent flash of all lights when I tapped on this board. This had to be the location! Looking closely I saw that the little L1 cap was bent slight over. Pushing on it caused all lights to come on completely!
    I can now see that one leg of this cap is broken. I'll need to pull this board and solder a new one in there. When complete I'm sure all will be working again.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-lost-all-controlled-and-gi-lights-except and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.