Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by racerxsel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I have a Stern Star Trek LE that has no playfield LEDs lit up on it. All the LEDs are out. No inserts are lit up, no pop bumpers are lit up, nothing anywhere on the playfield. The system boots up, and plays normally, but it's dark. All fuses and voltages that can be tested on the CPU/Driver board, seem OK. The CPU board has some kind of serial communication that goes from J14 to a small node board. I replaced the cable with another straight through RJ12 cable, but no joy. Still no LEDs are lit.
The small node board looks like it has several LEDs on it (TX, RX, Stat/D1). None of these are lit up. It seems like the small node board should have LEDs lit up on it. Also, along the serial communication path, none of the red D21 LEDs on any of the LED control boards are lit up.
Any help is appreciated.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from racerxsel:

I have a Stern Star Trek LE that has no playfield LEDs lit up on it. All the LEDs are out. No inserts are lit up, no pop bumpers are lit up, nothing anywhere on the playfield. The system boots up, and plays normally, but it's dark. All fuses and voltages that can be tested on the CPU/Driver board, seem OK. The CPU board has some kind of serial communication that goes from J14 to a small node board. I replaced the cable with another straight through RJ12 cable, but no joy. Still no LEDs are lit.
The small node board looks like it has several LEDs on it (TX, RX, Stat/D1). None of these are lit up. It seems like the small node board should have LEDs lit up on it. Also, along the serial communication path, none of the red D21 LEDs on any of the LED control boards are lit up.
Any help is appreciated.

Check the fuses. Any time EVERYTHING stops working it's usually a power issue. I had this happen in my star trek with all of the coils. Turned out to be a fuse.

The red light needs to be on on both ends of the fuse. They are also slo-blow fuses and can be bought on Amazon. Just look up the right ones.

Hope it's that simple. Good luck!

1 month later
#3 2 years ago

OK, I fixed my problem with no LEDs on the playfield of my Star Trek LE. The main LED control board #5, (p/n 520-6812-00) had a bad bridge rectifier (D36) on it, this boards supplies 5 volts to several other LED boards underneath the playfield (+5v and +3.3v). This is why none of the D21 red LEDs were turned on. I replaced the D36 bridge with a GBPC3504W, 400v, 35 Amp one I purchased from Newark.
That fixed the problem, all the GI LEDs now light up, and blink when they are supposed to. Sure is a pretty game when everything is working.
I tried to buy a replacement board, but no one had one, not Marco, Pinball Life, nor Stern, so I had to fix it. $15.00 vs $225.00 for a replacement board (if I could have gotten one).
Steve

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-le-no-playfield-leds-are-lit-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.