(Topic ID: 73040)

Stern Star Trek LE and The ColorDMD Will it Fit?

By SaminVA

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Dmod
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-184.jpg
image-923.jpg
CIMG2357.JPG
CIMG2360.JPG
CIMG2313.JPG
done.jpg
blocks.jpg
bars.jpg
level.jpg
P1020213.JPG
P1020212.JPG
ColorDMD_Studs.jpg
11640176493_d960bc0b24[1].jpg
ColorDMD_Spacer.jpg
STLE 013.JPG
christmas2013 025.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 10 years ago

On our current bracket revision, the wider mounting tabs we added for Stern speaker panels extend all the way to the bottom of the bracket. You might be able to use these tabs and drill new holes to fit the STLE.

Adjusting the vertical position of the frame on the screen isn't an issue. We can add an option or adjustment to take care of that part.

Bracket.jpgBracket.jpg

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

Will you guys be getting a Star Trek to examine and determine options?

Not right away, but we'll do our best to support efforts toward a solution.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_happy:

What's the advantage of installing a ColorDMD into Stern machines? I'm assuming it's not full-color, like they've done for TAF, AFM, CFTBL, etc. so what would the ColorDMD add?

Full functionality of the SIGMA (single-color) ROM... custom selection of 97 colors, choice of display effect (dots, HD upscaling, scan lines), and none of the grid alignment errors inherent in most LED displays.

#16 10 years ago

All new ColorDMD displays include the latest bracket revision and can be used in most WPC/WPC95/SAM/WhiteStar games. For older displays we also offer a cable kit/bracket for use with SAM/Whitestar games, available on our site.

There are three known issues that will require some effort to overcome for new ST speaker panels:
(1) Removal/workaround for the center threaded posts on the speaker panel
(2) Replacement/fabrication of a clear plastic window to replace the red one
(3) Modification of the mounting holes on our bracket

We will also need to provide a firmware update for proper alignment of the video frame with the window.

If someone is able to work out or offer a solution to the first two issues, we should be able to help with the rest.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from SaminVA:

I hope my ramblings make sense, I have never been good at explaining things in my head on paper. That's why I make videos.

Your first proposal is the direction that Chris and I had discussed...
(1) The LCD would need to be supported by spacers that are longer than the center posts (maybe use something like hex spacers to extend the outer posts), or
(2) Remove the center posts so the panel sits flush against the edges of the speaker panel. This is similar to mounting on a WPC95 speaker panel but the setback might be larger.
(3) The gap between the panel and the LCD could be filled with a foam seal or a bezel.

If this can yield acceptable results, then we can look into modifying our existing bracket with appropriate mounting holes for the outer posts.

Aligning the image to the window is not an issue.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Randy,
I'll try to help as I can between my Star Trek: Mirror Universe work.
I already have a newest batch ColorDMD on the way and it's slated for this ST LE when it arrives.
John

Thanks John!

#36 10 years ago

We don't have access to a ST right now, so we're waiting for someone else to take the lead. Just let us know what you need. Best to email directly: [email protected].

Randy

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

The problem is the DMDcolor has to come off the bracket,

The LCD screen can be removed the bracket very easily without cutting anything.

To remove the blue LVDS cable, just pull the tape on the end of the connector to unlock the pullbar and slide the connector horizontally out of the socket. Then to remove the screen from the bracket, unscrew the four small screws on the edges of the bracket.

#72 10 years ago

The bracket height matches the height of the 15.6" screen. There's not much we can do about that, but we can modify the mounting tabs or hole locations once the needed changes have been identified.

No need to worry about the vertical alignment of the video frame. We will add a menu selection for the SIGMA ROM that allows adjustment of the vertical position.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from pindan3:

Ut oh.... I'm a bit confused, I'm not a computer whizz, I peck and I poke, anyway I thought you had to order these DMDs specific to game title and that there are only so many titles in production? I can install and do repairs on my pins but I need an IT guy for puter upgrades and thumb drive stuff!!! haha maybe its easy after I'm shown just how to do it!

There's a short video on our home page at http://www.colordmd.com that shows how to install a color ROM on a new display.

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Randy - any idea when "centering options" might be available in the ROMs?

To turn something out quickly, I can provide a modified test ROM with a fixed offset any time. I just need to know the required offset (measured in dots).

The next official ROM update (with an adjustable menu) will probably come in January.

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from pindan3:

another question...I already have a Color DMD in my ATF. It seems ok. But I understand that there is an "update" for it. How do you know if you need it or is it necessary? Watched your videos on other things and have a better understanding for installation and the thumb drive thing....

Like most things... if your display is working fine and you don't see any problems there's no need to update. On our SUPPORT page, we provide a list of all updates and what fixes or features were added.

For TAF:
ColorDMD TAF 2.1 ROM Update (Updated Jun 08, 2013)
•2.1: (06/08/13) Corrected issue with ROM reads that could cause intermittent image flicker on some boards.
•2.0: (04/28/13) Updated with SIGMA 32-bit product key.
•1.2: (12/10/12) Improved coloring for European score mode (periods vs commas).
•1.1: (11/12/12) Corrects coloring of scores greater than 1B in attract mode.

1 week later
#106 10 years ago
Quoted from tatanka1961:

Randy, I think this is where you come in. I think lowering the image by 3 'dots' (that is the classic DMD dots) would do the trick until you come up with a user adjustable position.

Looks great! Please send me an email through our site (info at colordmd dot com) and I'll try to generate a test ROM.

#128 10 years ago

I have a hacked ROM now that shifts it down by four dots which centered it for Guy's setup. Just PM me with your email and I'll forward it to you.

Randy

3 weeks later
#152 10 years ago

It's up to 97 colors in the SIGMA 2.3 ROM. It's a tradeoff between making it easy to step through and finding a color you like. With 96 hues across the color spectrum (plus white), the remaining differences in hue are pretty subtle.

Randy

1 month later
#164 10 years ago

It took a little longer than I hoped, but the official SIGMA 2.4 release is now out with integrated vertical adjustment for the ST speaker panel.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-announces-release-of-sigma-24#post-1493926

8 months later
#171 9 years ago
Quoted from miguelortega:

So this just lets you change the color to another solid color?

It lets you use the built-in menus to choose from 97 different static colors and 3 different display effects (including HD upscaling).

It also lets you integrate the display into with external RGB controller (like the ones available from Pinball Refinery or speakerlightkits.com) to dynamically change the color during gameplay.

Find more information here: http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-sigma/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-le-and-the-colordmd-will-it-fit?tu=dmod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.