(Topic ID: 73040)

Stern Star Trek LE and The ColorDMD Will it Fit?

By SaminVA

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Dmod
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-184.jpg
image-923.jpg
CIMG2357.JPG
CIMG2360.JPG
CIMG2313.JPG
done.jpg
blocks.jpg
bars.jpg
level.jpg
P1020213.JPG
P1020212.JPG
ColorDMD_Studs.jpg
11640176493_d960bc0b24[1].jpg
ColorDMD_Spacer.jpg
STLE 013.JPG
christmas2013 025.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SaminVA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Now that I have my Stern Star Trek LE I have been thinking about installing a ColorDMD. But before I shell out $400.00 I would like to know if it will fit in the LE. We know it will now work with the Sam system and it has been fitted into a few of the newer Stern games but Stern changer the DMD panel for Star Trek and to my knowledge no one has installed one in a Stern Star Trek yet but I believe it wont be long as I am sure sense they are now in stock again I am sure some are destined for the Star Trek pin. I do have a ColorDMD installed in my STTNG so I decided to remove it and make a template of the ColorDMD so I could use it to see how I could fit one in my new pin. I so much wanted it to work but to me it would seem in it's current configuration it just will not work. Wile the 4 outer mounting studs line up the 2 middle studs will have to be cut out of the way which is not a big problem and you would have to make spacers to hold the LCD panel away from the back side of the panel like it is on the STTNG which is also ok and would work. The problem is the LCD panel would drop below the bottom of the Star Trek speaker/DMD panel and that's the problem as the bottom of the panel sits flat on the bottom of the metal back box. So you could change the mounts and put the bottom of the LCD display so it lines up with the bottom of the DMD panel but then the viewing area of the LCD panel will not line up with the cutout on the DMD panel. If you could move the displayed area of the LCD on the panel to line up with the cut out area of the panel it should work but I am not sure if you can do this with the ColorDMD. I made a video showing what I am talking about. I hope we can find a way to make this work.
Star Trek ColorDMD 018.JPGStar Trek ColorDMD 018.JPG

Post edited by SaminVA : added pic

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

IIRC; the colorDMD has a longer side which sticks up in the Backbox on STNG. Are you sure you got the template "lined up" in the proper orientation?

Yep 100% positive.

#24 10 years ago

I am super glad to hear ColorDMD is willing and able to help us make the ColorDMD compatible with the new Stern Star Trek. I did not know you had changed the bracket. The one I have on my STTNG was the first run released with the STTNG color ROMs so the mounting tabs are smaller but the spacing of the 4 corner mount holes seems to have the same spacing as the original DMD. I assume the new tabs are spaced out wider and are designed to use wood screws to mount in the new stern games. The Star Trek LE has no wood.
The way I see it we have 2 options, use the original 4 outer mounting bolts and cut the 2 inner studs off, drill 4 new holes in the LCD bracket so the bottom of the screen is flush with the bottom of the DMD speaker panel and it will have to have spacers to hold it out from the speaker panel which means it will have a gap between the LCD screen and the clear plexi which will be mounted on the same 4 corner bolts between the speaker panel and the spacers and the gap between can be filled with foam tape. The only problem with this might be the top of the LCD panel blocking the light at the bottom of the backglass as the LCD panel will be above the top of the speaker panel.
The other option would be to cut a wood panel to fit between the speakers and cut out the display area and mount the LCD panel with wood screws and a clear plexi will have to go between the wood and the speaker panel. I think the first option with the spacers would be the easiest way to go and if the holes in the LCD bracket could be added at the factory that would make it easy for most to install. Either way you would have to adjust the vertical position of the frame to make it work. I hope my ramblings make sense, I have never been good at explaining things in my head on paper. That's why I make videos.
Star Trek ColorDMD 017.JPGStar Trek ColorDMD 017.JPG

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Your first proposal is the direction that Chris and I had discussed...
(1) The LCD would need to be supported by spacers that are longer than the center posts (maybe use something like hex spacers to extend the outer posts), or
(2) Remove the center posts so the panel sits flush against the edges of the speaker panel. This is similar to mounting on a WPC95 speaker panel but the setback might be larger.
(3) The gap between the panel and the LCD could be filled with a foam seal or a bezel.
If this can yield acceptable results, then we can look into modifying our existing bracket with appropriate mounting holes for the outer posts.
Aligning the image to the window is not an issue.

I agree, the spacer mounts like on STTNG WPC95 speaker panel is the way to go.
We will still have to cut the center studs, as they are spot welded to the panel but the 4 outer mounts are stainless steel star head bolts so we should be able to find longer bolts if needed. We can use the red plexi as a template to cut a clear one.
Wile I don't have a Star Trek Pro and they haven't made the premium yet, looking at the pictures of the speaker panels all 3 look to be the same size but I did notice wile watching TNT's video of the Star Trek Pro it looks like the DMD is mounted with all 6 studs which are welded to the back of the panel so you may have to use threaded hex spaces as it doesn't look like they are long enough but that's just a guess at this point.
As long as you can aligning the image to the window it can be done.
STLE 002.JPGSTLE 002.JPG

#32 10 years ago

I wonder if the Pinbits Stern DMD Cover- Clear would work as a drop in replacement when using the ColorDMD. They don't list the measurements but the picture looks to have the correct shape.
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=450&zenid=8k77jm2aj31egjjpjj5fdo69f6
Pinbits SternDMDcover.jpgPinbits SternDMDcover.jpg

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I have the blue dmd from pinball life and I believe this is the same plastic cover that came with mine and no it does not fit. It's a butthair off. I was able to get it on the 2 center screws (tightl fit) but it was about an 1/8" too narrow to get the outside screws on. That said, I went with just the two screws and it worked fine. However, whatever blue dmd this one is that pinball life sells (xpin or stern?) it was WAY too harsh on the eyes while mixed in with the light show of STLE. I decided to put the red back in and in doing so, the center screws were so tight on the blue plastic, I broke one of the screw holes on the blue plastic protector when trying to take it out. No harm to the STLE, but I won't experiment again and leave that to the pros
Hope this helps.
SKB

Well I guess I'll find out as I ordered the clear one from Pinbits and it should be here Saturday. If it doesn't fit I'll take the red original and use it to cut one by. I haven't ordered the ColorDMD yet, just trying to line up what I need to install it first. We will have to wait and see what Randy comes up with on their end with the ColorDMD.

#43 10 years ago

Did you buy the Cable Kit for the Sam/Whitestar which is another $19.00 listed in the accessories.
It has a 7' 12V/5V power cable with splitter,1' DMD ribbon cable (Whitestar)and 4 mounting screws
http://shop.colordmd.com/cable-kit-for-sam-whitestar/

#46 10 years ago

Well the clear Stern DMD cover I ordered from Pinbits arrived Saturday and wile it's close it's not a drop in replacement for the Star Trek LE. It may be possible to make it work which I comment on in my video but I'll probably just cut a new one using the stock red dmd as a template. It looks like it will be fairly simple to install the ColorDMD. The stock setup uses 4, 6-32 X 3/4" stainless steel tork head machine screws on the corners and the 2 studs in the center can he cut shorter with a dremel cutoff wheel and still used to hold the plexi. It has 6, 1/4" spacers between the red DMD cover and the LED display.
To mount the ColorDMD it looks like we will need to replace the 1/4" spacers on the 4 corners with 1/2" spacers (depending on the thickness of the clear plexi used) and the 4, 6-32 X 3/4" stainless steel tork head machine screws will need to be replaced with 4,6-32 X 1" 1/4" screws. A current ColorDMD will need to have 4 mounting holes drilled so the bottom of the LCD panel is even with the bottom of the DMD,speaker panel. Then it will be up to ColorDMD to adjust the frame position.
My video also shows how the speakers are assembled and the order of the grill and plexi. I hope to install blue LED strips on 3 sides of the speaker and leave the top open for the flasher. I might try putting some washers under the speakers to see if it will let more light in. Probably be a lot of trial and error to get it looking right. I wish we could see what they did to the one that was on the factory tour as they were very bright.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Great video. I would disagree about the display being off centered as that is already in the menu as the SAM option.
Here is a photo of the DMDCOLOR behind the panel.

I am close to modifying the bracket for the DMDColor. The only problem I haven't gotten around this in the photo.

This blue wire need to come off so I can place the bracket, modify the bracket and then place the DMDcolor back onto the bracket and then reconnect the blue wire. I may have to cut the bracket and slide the blue wire out of the slot that I cut to make the modifications to the bracket then put the DMDcolor back onto the mounting bracket. Hopefully I'll have something soon. I should have something to look at by Friday. It's now a problem that I will solve.
Also, I used the DK power tap inside the machine.

I am not sure why, but I had to by pass the DK Power tap first, then use the splitter that came with the DMDcolor back to the power tap or I couldn't get power to the DMDcolor.

BlueCable.jpg 43 KB

DMDColor.jpg 64 KB

Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 1.07.5... 623 KB

Cool, I never thought about the SAM program might already be centered. Cant you drill the new mounting holes in the frame without taking the LCD panel off?
In your picture is the ColorDMD bottom even with the bottom of the speaker panel?
When you get it figured out post some pictures of the mount. I hope to order my ColorDMD soon.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

The problem is the DMDcolor has to come off the bracket, This way I can drill the mounting holes into the bracket. The bracket does not stick out from the top however it does on the bottom a little so I would need to cut that off straight across. The only way is to remove the DMDcolor as not to damage it. I may have to cut a slot into the bracket to slide out the blue cable that goes between the DMD and it's circuit board. I can't do this by myself as someone needs to hold the DMD while I place the cut. I have someone that will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. We will give it a shoot. Once this happens I think we're home free for the brackets modifications. I will then send DMDcolor on what we did and where they fall out on this bracket and they can do what they want with them. This will work I just need a little time.

I still don't understand why the bracket has to come off the LCD to drill the holes and from your picture it looks like the display needs to be moved up a little to be centered and isn't the LCD display the same size as the bracket so why would cutting off the bottom help and if it's the same size as the ColorDMD that's in my STTNG I don't see no way it's not going to stick up behind the backglass a little. I could be wrong.
Looking forward to see how it turns out.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Ok cable slipped right off. After getting the LCD off I might have figured out how to make it work. However, cutting the bracket will not work but a trip to the hardware store just might. The DMDcolor bracket is so large that it will not fit down into the DMD mounting area. So, when the DMDcolor is mounted there will be a large gap between the mounting area and the DMDcolor. So, most likely I'll have to find something to knock out the outside light source from leaking into the DMDcolor area (florescence tube). I was think some black wrap or maybe black foam but would need to be thick. Anyway, I'll post after a visit to the hardware store.

Yea I mention in my video filling the gap with sticky back foam like is used on the STTNG DMD. If my measurements are correct and if your clear DMD cover is the same thickness as the original red cover then the mounting spacers will be 1/2" long , their for a foam tape 1/2" thick should work. You could use foam insulating tape from Lowe's or Home Depot which has adhesive on one side but they usually only sell the grey type. I found some on Ebay that might work better and they have a lot of different sizes but I think this will work nicely.
SPONGE NEOPRENE STRIPPING WITH ADHESIVE - 3/4" X 1/2" X 15'
ebay.com link: SPONGE NEOPRENE STRIPPING WITH ADHESIVE 3 4 X 1 2 X 15
foam.jpgfoam.jpg

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

I picked some up at Home Depot today. Mounted the bracket, now I need to drill holes into the bracket and shift the bottom to the top. I am getting close to seeing if it's going to work.

If you haven't seen the post by herg where he puts a ColorDMD in a Tron you should look it over.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-colordmd-installation-in-stern-sam-tron
Wile the back of the Tron panel is wood it shows the position it need to be mounted and how the top of the LCD will sit up over the top of the panel.

#83 10 years ago

Looks great. What is the length of your hex spacers?
I was thinking about using longer 6/32" screws and using plastic spacers. I was thinking 1/2" spacers would work.

1 week later
#105 10 years ago

Nice work tatanka1961, that was my option #2 using wood for the spacer, a lot more work unless you have the woodworking skills and equipment to pull it off. I am still leaning for option #1 using hex spacers and thicker foam to seal around the window. either way I figured the video frame would have to be adjusted to make it line up. I am almost ready to buy my ColorDMD and join the club. For now I have been working on lighting up the speakers with LED strips but I found out in the new 1.41 code release the speaker flashers also light the speakers solid as well as flash but not all the time but under control of the program. Wile this is great the speakers are still dimmer than I would like so I think I will add the LED strips and now might power them off the flasher circuit. The LED strips only add .5 amps and the driver transistor is rated at 40 amps @ 200 volts so it should not be a problem.
christmas2013 025.JPGchristmas2013 025.JPG
STLE 013.JPGSTLE 013.JPG

#129 10 years ago

I still haven't decided which mounting system I want to use, the MDF wood or the threaded hex spacers.
The hex spacers would be simpler over all but would require drilling mounting holes in the DMD bracket. Using the wood panel you could simply use the stock holes already that's in the new DMD bracket but not everyone had access to a CNC machine but if you could make them I might go that route. As for the clear plexi I under stand Pinbits now has made one that should fit the new Stern metal DMD speaker panels which would be an option for anyone not willing to cut their own.
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=573
On a side note, I have already made my mod for adding blue LED light strips to the speakers so the Color DMD is next on the list.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SaminVA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-le-and-the-colordmd-will-it-fit?tu=SaminVA and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.