(Topic ID: 97250)

Stern Star Trek: have you finished all missions?

By nosro

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Eskaybee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you ever finished all missions?”

• Yes 6 votes
    5%
  • No 106 votes
    95%

(112 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0878.JPG
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

You can time out your modes all you want, but you still need to be a descent player to finish all six L2 modes and get to Enterprise Amok even with three balls, good luck!!!! Learn to be a better player and eventually you will get there, all it takes is one great game, hell I am a descent player and I have not gotten there yet, but for me this is what keeps me trying, lol...

If you could do it every time, it would lose some of its 'magic'. I've still never been to FGY, TSPP or LOTR's final wizard modes....but I'll keep trying!

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There's a big difference to me between "time out all the modes" and "I finished the first five level ones on one ball, gonna just take it easy on this last one, cradle for a bit ..."
One is lame and boring, the other is taking a breath and being happy with your progress and preparing to start your attack again. I'd be fine with doing the latter, no interest in the former.

Don't believe the question was "Can it be finished in the manner you want to?", but was "Can it be finished?"

Personally, I don't give two craps if I get to Valinor the "cheesy" way if I have to or not. Do I time out modes on STTNG? When I'm on ball 3, and there's only one mode left and I'm on Q? Sure. But I've also played like 500 games on it, which is about 75 times the amount of games I've had a chance to play on a well tuned pro.

If points is the objective, Stern did a good job removing the point of timing out modes. Personally, I think they left them in because they knew that getting all the way through all three sets of modes is just nuts, and most people aren't going to get through the first 12 of them. Might as well let people time out the lame "shoot everything" modes and at least TRY.

#53 9 years ago

For what it's worth; I sent the ST design team a suggestion to have all tier one missions = kobayashi stage 1; all tier 2 missions = kobayashi stage 2; and completing three tier 3 missions = enterprise amok. With the final wizard mode completing all tiers. I think this would open up the game on a deeper level as far as the mini wiZard modes are concerned and give more reason for going 3 deep into missions.

Heck, while I'm on topic of suggestions; I also think 3 deep rewards should be ultra ramps, ultra targets, ultra combos, ultra playfield 2X), etc...for a short time period. Then, have shot multipliers be qualified using the warp ramp (i.e 3 consecutive warps lights shot multipliers).

#54 9 years ago

I'm probably beating a dead horse, but now I'm starting to wonder if this game is too hard even for pros:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-do-you-think-lyman-sheats-could-finish-all-18-modes

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's boring.

Exactly my point.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you're in a tournament and it's win by any means necessary even if it's stupid then fine, let something time out I guess. Horrible to watch and lame, but that's the game. But if you're at home why in the world did you buy a game to sit there and time out modes?

We didn't. But that's the way the code was done. It wasn't our choice.

For many of us getting to the final wizard mode is the ultimate goal! Not points.

"If your in a tournament and it's win by any means necessary"? No. That has nothing to do with it!

It has to do with getting to the final wizard mode! What increases your chances of doing that with the current code? Hint: TIME OUT THE LEVEL 1 MODES!

Again, that has NOTHING to do with TOURNAMENT play. Zero. Zilch. Nada! The tournament play argument is a straw man.

Let's compare to LOTR again, shall we? The reason that you don't want to just time out the modes on LOTR to get to Valinor is because you must gain gifts of the elves, and you aren't going to get all of them unless you beat most of the modes. On ST all you have to do is *start* the level 1 modes before moving on. So if your goal is the wizard mode, the best strategy is to let those modes time out. And yes....that's boring.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

For what it's worth; I sent the ST design team a suggestion to have all tier one missions = kobayashi stage 1; all tier 2 missions = kobayashi stage 2; and completing three tier 3 missions = enterprise amok. With the final wizard mode completing all tiers. I think this would open up the game on a deeper level as far as the mini wiZard modes are concerned and give more reason for going 3 deep into missions.
Heck, while I'm on topic of suggestions; I also think 3 deep rewards should be ultra ramps, ultra targets, ultra combos, ultra playfield 2X), etc...for a short time period. Then, have shot multipliers be qualified using the warp ramp (i.e 3 consecutive warps lights shot multipliers).

Wouldn't completing all tier 3 modes be the same as completing all modes? You have to have completed a tier 2 mode to get to its tier 3 equivalent.

#58 9 years ago

so who is the 1 person that has completed all the 18 modes?

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

so who is the 1 person that has completed all the 18 modes?

It has to be either Elwin or Kerins.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It has to do with getting to the final wizard mode!

I guess. But I wouldn't feel satisfied doing with timing out. I mean, I want to say I did it for a sense of pride and accomplishment or something, and using some "cheat" would spoil that.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

If you can time out all 18 ST missions, then Encore is probably harder to reach.

I think you can only time out the first round not sure.The first round wizard mode scoring is based on how you scored in the first round holding ball to time out will hurt your score.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Wouldn't completing all tier 3 modes be the same as completing all modes? You have to have completed a tier 2 mode to get to its tier 3 equivalent.

Yes; both the same, however you want to word it. I just like to say complete tier 3 as it's easier than sayin complete all 3 tiers of one mission.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yes; both the same, however you want to word it. I just like to say complete tier 3 as it's easier than sayin complete all 3 tiers of one mission.

So, essentially, you'd have two wizard modes back to back?

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I still haven't reached warp 9.9 on mine. I have reached 9.5 on other machines, but mine must be a lot harder as I have only reached warp 8 once.......
I think I completed 10 modes once.....

I got 9.9 one time and it kicked another ball into play. I thought the machine misfired because there was no call outs or mode to go with Warp 9.9... just another ball was kicked in play and warp went back to 0. Still satisfying but I was expecting much more.

#65 9 years ago

Any word or even rumor on when the next code update is coming? I'm getting board with the game as it is and I'm not really playing it much these days.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I guess. But I wouldn't feel satisfied doing with timing out. I mean, I want to say I did it for a sense of pride and accomplishment or something, and using some "cheat" would spoil that.

It's not a cheat. Even in tournament play with a 30 second limit, it's perfectly acceptable to take a few shots in a mode to get the timer under 30 seconds, then cradle until the timer runs out. Other players know to expect this. Some games are more prone to this than others. FGY is a great tournament game, but guys will most definitely time out the last mode or two to get to TV wiz mode. It's expected.

On location, anything goes. Timing out modes is nothing compared to doing death saves or bang backs. You do anything you need to do to get the GC score. I don't do death saves or bang backs at home, but I absolutely will time out a mode or two if I'm getting close to the wiz mode.

If you want to get to the wiz mode on ST, you need to think like a player and change from your usual strategy. As I said above, timing out a mode or two is nothing compared to bang backs and death saves. If I was the type to post my scores here, that's where I would draw the line. If I did death saves or bang backs, I wouldn't post it. If I timed out a mode or two, no prob. Like nudging, occasionally timing out a mode is part of the game.

Quoted from Gov:

I still haven't reached warp 9.9 on mine. I have reached 9.5 on other machines, but mine must be a lot harder as I have only reached warp 8 once.......

I've played a bunch of different examples of all different flavors and somewhat surprisingly, all the warp ramps play about the same. If yours is noticeably harder, I would try adjusting it.

#67 9 years ago

No way I ever finish all the modes with.... the fun with hitting all the combos makes it too much fun to not just grip and rip.

Clearing them all would require a level of patience that only the pros possess.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

But this is going to be my first machine where I am probably never going to see the wizard mode with the glass on.

have you completed LOTR? TSPP? FGY? X-Men?

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

So, essentially, you'd have two wizard modes back to back?

No; complete all level 1 missions would be kobayashi. Or go 3 deep in 3 missions to start enterprise amok. The second time you complete 3 missions deep would be the 18th mission so that would light the final wizard mode, not enterprise amok. I then suggested have a stage 2 kobayashi for completing all the tier 2 missions.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well, sorry, but that's just stupid.

I mean really, that's pretty hilarious when you think about it. "Cheat"? Seriously? THIS IS THE WAY THE CODE IS CURRENTLY WRITTEN. It isn't cheating in any way, shape, or form.

To make the types of arguments that you are making makes you seem like a bit of a ST zealot. These are painfully obvious problems with the way the code was written, but you keep wanting to brush them off with statements like "if you want to be boring like tournament players and only score points" or if you "want to use some cheat" by timing out the modes.

If the code is written in a way that it encourages you to time out level 1 modes to increase your chances of getting to both the main and mini wizard modes (and that's exactly what it does), it's a problem with the code. Its ridiculous to blame the player for playing the game in the most efficient manner to achieve the wizard modes.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well, sorry, but that's just stupid.

Yeah well, I think your opinion of my opinion is stupid.

Sitting there with a ball trapped on a flipper watching a timer countdown is lame. I don't want to beat a game doing that, I don't care it that's the most efficient way to do it. Like I said, if I nailed the first 5 and wanted to play the sixth conservative, trap and take it slow, sure, I'll do that, I'm not that stubborn and principled. But I'd take no satisfaction from timing out every mode to try and get to the wizard mode.

I don't care if anyone else does it. I'm not calling people cheaters. I'm simply saying I have no interest in that, not how I play. And I'm not an awesome player or anything to be clear!

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sitting there with a ball trapped on a flipper watching a timer countdown is lame.

It sure is!

Code's fault. Not mine. And since the code encourages to you time them out, and that's lame, that means the code is lame.

Simple as that.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

No; complete all level 1 missions would be kobayashi. Or go 3 deep in 3 missions to start enterprise amok. The second time you complete 3 missions deep would be the 18th mission so that would light the final wizard mode, not enterprise amok. I then suggested have a stage 2 kobayashi for completing all the tier 2 missions.

Your plan is Byzantine........

I love it!

#74 9 years ago

The code doesn't encourage you to time out.....there are later rewards to actually scoring well on tier 1 modes.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

YOU CAN TIME OUT 33% OF YOUR PROGRESS TO THE WIZARD MODE

But you have to admit that the 33% you timeout are only 10% as challenging as 'completing' the other 66% of the modes. So let's say you can 'time out' 3% of your way to the wizard mode

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sitting there with a ball trapped on a flipper watching a timer countdown is lame. I don't want to beat a game doing that, I don't care it that's the most efficient way to do it

You can't beat the game by timing out the modes, but I agree if there was a game where you could then 'that' game would be lame.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

You can't beat the game by timing out the modes, but I agree if there was a game where you could then 'that' game would be lame.

Not to get off topic, but as an example, vaunted titles such as Theatre of Magic allow time-out of almost all modes. That doesn't seem to inhibit its popularity because most people don't time-out - the shots and missions are fun.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It sure is!
Code's fault. Not mine. And since the code encourages to you time them out, and that's lame, that means the code is lame.
Simple as that.

I've never felt encouraged to time anything out. That would be boring as fuck....and you could apply the "time out" logic to other games that have excellent reputations. Even STTNG - I could start all the modes and just time them out, so I could get to Final Frontier....but I've never done that, cuz I'm playing pinball and I want to PLAY PINBALL when I'm playing pinball lol

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've never felt encouraged to time anything out. That would be boring as fuck....and you could apply the "time out" logic to other games that have excellent reputations. Even STTNG - I could start all the modes and just time them out, so I could get to Final Frontier....but I've never done that, cuz I'm playing pinball and I want to PLAY PINBALL when I'm playing pinball lol

I'm repeating myself yet again. If your priority is to get to the wizard mode, the smart thing to do is let those level 1 modes time out. When I play pinball my top priority is almost always to get to the wizard mode. The code encourages you to time the modes out since you don't have to do shit during any of those level 1 modes to progress towards the wizard modes.

#80 9 years ago

You're preaching to someone who admittedly doesn't play in tournaments, doesn't play in leagues and hates EM's. Asking him to time out modes is like asking the pope to jam with Ozzy. Ain't gonna happen.

#81 9 years ago

After 5 beers my brain starts to time out so I just hit lit shots and hope for the best.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm repeating myself yet again. If your priority is to get to the wizard mode, the smart thing to do is let those level 1 modes time out. When I play pinball my top priority is almost always to get to the wizard mode. The code encourages you to time the modes out since you don't have to do shit during any of those level 1 modes to progress towards the wizard modes.

Let just get this straight the current code does not encourage you to time out modes, the goal in every pinball game is to achieve the highest score and by timing out mode you will not get the best score overall, no matter, if you make it to the mini-wizard modes by timing out L1...

I agree thou if you only goal is to make it to the mini-wizard modes then yes the code allows you time these out in L1, however, you still need to be successful in 12 more modes in order to get to the final wizard mode. This is no easy feat... This strategy is boring as hell but if this is the way you want to go then fill your boots...

#83 9 years ago

I strive to finish the first level and feel totally satisfied if I do.

I made the mistake of putting ST and ACDC next to each other... I get double frustration points.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Is that what you do when you play STTNG? You could just start a mode, time it out...that'll get you Final Frontier.

I disagree that timing out level 1's helps get you to wizard mode. You still have to play Levels 2 and 3, and you're going to know how to play the game then & risk draining then. Cradling Level 1's all boring-like doesn't guarantee you a wizard mode. Just play the f'ing game lol....or not, you sold it. Whatevs.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I made the mistake of putting ST and ACDC next to each other... I get double frustration points.

I feel your pain....

IMG_0878.JPGIMG_0878.JPG
#86 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

You're preaching to someone who admittedly doesn't play in tournaments, doesn't play in leagues and hates EM's. Asking him to time out modes is like asking the pope to jam with Ozzy. Ain't gonna happen.

Oh, thank you King of All Pretentious Pindouches....please continue to lord over us, judge us - and tell us what, how, and where to play so that one day we will all play pinball exactly how you do.

#87 9 years ago

^^^ Look - pretty lights!! ^^^

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Is that what you do when you play STTNG? You could just start a mode, time it out...that'll get you Final Frontier.
I disagree that timing out level 1's helps get you to wizard mode. You still have to play Levels 2 and 3, and you're going to know how to play the game then & risk draining then. Cradling Level 1's all boring-like doesn't guarantee you a wizard mode. Just play the f'ing game lol....or not, you sold it. Whatevs.

I've never gotten to enterprise amok by timing out level 1 missions. I've been to EA 3 times: twice on factory and once with reducing the timers of level 1 modes. I have the game on factory now, and enjoy that much more than when I had the level 1 missions on short timers for a month. It's just an enjoyable feeling nailing the shots in this game and getting big scores on all the modes. However, I do feel level 1 missions need adjusting. My personal choice to fix it is have a way to finish it and a way to automatically start the tier 2 mission instead of having down time between modes.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

But you have to admit that the 33% you timeout are only 10% as challenging as 'completing' the other 66% of the modes. So let's say you can 'time out' 3% of your way to the wizard mode

Eh...more like 15%.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

My personal choice to fix it is have a way to finish it and a way to automatically start the tier 2 mission instead of having down time between modes.

Agreed. I proposed this in another thread, but so far Stern hasn't called to tell me how brilliant I am:

"How about this for the code update: Keep the level 1 missions as is with just a few tweaks to the call outs and displays. But, hitting Warp 6 (or some other number you set it to) and then getting the ball in the left saucer, gives you the option (just the option) of deeming all level 1 missions complete. You go straight to KM multiball, though you won't get many points for it without earning points on the missions. In this way, beginning players can still have an approachable game, and advanced players can have a means to jump more quickly to the deeper and better developed level 2 and 3 missions."

#91 9 years ago

I made it to Enterprise Amok once. I don't time out any level one missions. The level 2 missions are WAY harder than level ones, and the level 3s are exponentially harder.

All that said... I haven't really touched it much since I got MET.

I love my STLE, but it needs an update to get me interested again.

#92 9 years ago

I would bet the farm that SR and company will be changing the code in 1.5 so level ones can't just be timed out.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't play STTNG much. I don't care for it. That's why I've never owned it. Sounds like it has problems with the code too if timing out modes makes it easier to get to the wizard mode. I have no idea how this supports your position.

I disagree that timing out level 1's helps get you to wizard mode.

You can disagree all you want. But it isn't a matter of opinion. It's a fact.

If you actually think about it I'm sure you can see why.

#94 9 years ago

I don't care that you can time out modes, I just wish they had an "end" that was possible to hit before the timer. So a goal besides "just keep shooting until we say you've spent enough time on it".

Like The Shadow for instance, all the modes are timed, and if you can't hit all the shots before the timer runs out you don't get the finish and the points for it, but the mode is still marked as "done" and stays lit. If you do hit them all you get an animation and bonus, it's rewarding.

If you want to time them out to go for Final Battle then fine. But I'd rather try and hit the shots for the points and the fun.

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I don't play STTNG much. I don't care for it. That's why I've never owned it. Sounds like it has problems with the code too if timing out modes makes it easier to get to the wizard mode. I have no idea how this supports your position.

My position is that anyone who holds a ball on a flipper for 45 seconds is boring. Just play the f'ing game. What's Joisey Jack always sayin...the journey is the reward?

#96 9 years ago

Wow, now up to 3 "yeses."

As for timing out modes, you can't completely. You have to at least make the Final Shot or drain trying.

#97 9 years ago

I wish the three "yes" voters would describe their games, even if it is a non standard setup.

#98 9 years ago

Now up to five. Are people just messing with us?

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't care that you can time out modes, I just wish they had an "end" that was possible to hit before the timer. So a goal besides "just keep shooting until we say you've spent enough time on it".
Like The Shadow for instance, all the modes are timed, and if you can't hit all the shots before the timer runs out you don't get the finish and the points for it, but the mode is still marked as "done" and stays lit. If you do hit them all you get an animation and bonus, it's rewarding.
If you want to time them out to go for Final Battle then fine. But I'd rather try and hit the shots for the points and the fun.

I agree completely. The level 1 modes need to have more of a goal- something that you can complete/defeat. That would help a lot and it would be extremely easy to implement that change.

#100 9 years ago

I love that the prospect that getting to the end of the game is near impossible, I loved my LOTR's and it took me a year to finally beat the game it was sold and gone a week later as I just couldn't get into it after that, same with most of the B/W greats. I really don't see pinball as a collector anymore for that reason, certain games are good in a collection like IM, Metallica etc. or must have themes but in general once wizard is achieved it becomes tedious to go through it all when you know the outcome. I do see selling and then a few years later picking it up again to re live the glory but it is a game. Anyway JMO. STLE is really a great pin looking forward to one day completing all modes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-have-you-finished-all-missions/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.