You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20231017_012636513 (resized).jpg
20140506_185547.jpg
20140506_185736.jpg
#1 10 years ago

On my ST premium while playing it seems that when I hit the drop target hard and dead on, some times it doesn't indicate a hit. But, when I tested it with the glass off it worked every time. Does anyone know if this is normal? Maybe it is registering, but the software doesn't play the "hit" sound so I'm assuming it's missing, but I'm not really sure.

Is anyone else seeing this?

#2 10 years ago

I look forward to the solution - I have the same problem and my ACDC has recently developed the same problem. Nothing worse that hitting the skill shot or a 2x song jackpot dead on and the drop target rejecting the ball.

May I recommend changing your thread title to "Stern Star Trek Drop Target Doesn't Fall"? Just to maybe get browsers who have experienced this problem on other Stern titles that may be applicable to this issue.

#3 10 years ago

Yep, mine has started doing the same thing.

#4 10 years ago

must be a problem with stern drop targets in general. They are probably a little too thick at the hole allowing the target to recatch. I don't recall ever seeing sopranos do this. So they must have changed their design somewhere down the line.

#5 10 years ago

I was having this same problem with one of my AC/DC drop targets. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to fix it. It turns out the target was slightly warped. Gavin Miller is the one who pointed this out to me. He used a heat gun to straighten it, and it has been fine ever since.

#6 10 years ago

Hmm... Mine is new and it's doing it.

#7 10 years ago

Mine does the same thing, has since day one. I have looked at it but haven't been able to see what is causing it. It seems to only be hard hits that cause the problem, any soft hit it seams to drop every time.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from mpatricksp:

Mine does the same thing, has since day one. I have looked at it but haven't been able to see what is causing it. It seems to only be hard hits that cause the problem, any soft hit it seams to drop every time.

That describes it perfectly. I've looked at it but don't see how it possibly isn't working. The mechanism seems so simple to not work.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from mpatricksp:

It seems to only be hard hits that cause the problem, any soft hit it seams to drop every time.

This is exactly what was happening with my AC/DC target. Direct hits from the cannon would bounce off, but virtually any other hit would knock it down.

#10 10 years ago

Same thing was happening on my ST Pro when I first received my machine. I adjusted the tension of the drop target spring under the playfield, like people were doing for their Metallica drop target issues, and I haven't had the problem since.

#11 10 years ago

Same here on AC/DC. Haven't looked at it yet but happy to hear suggestions. For the time being I'm aiming to hit the song jackpot target by hitting the edge of the target rather than a direct hit.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

Same here on AC/DC. Haven't looked at it yet but happy to hear suggestions. For the time being I'm aiming to hit the song jackpot target by hitting the edge of the target rather than a direct hit.

Talk about adding pressure to an already high pressure shot ...

#13 10 years ago

yep mine does this too. how do you adjust the tension on the spring ? stretch it out ?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from mcfly:

yep mine does this too. how do you adjust the tension on the spring ? stretch it out ?

Unhook the spring, stretch it slightly and reattach at the middle of the spring. So you end up hooking the middle part of the spring with about 20 or so spring coils hanging free.

To better understand,there is a picture of the "fix" on page 1 of this thread:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unplayable-drop-targets-metallica-pro-anyone-have-a-fix

#15 10 years ago

Yep, this happens on my ST & MET. I will have to try the spring adjustment. Thanks for the info.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Krakatoa:

Unhook the spring, stretch it slightly and reattach at the middle of the spring. So you end up hooking the middle part of the spring with about 20 or so spring coils hanging free.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unplayable-drop-targets-metallica-pro-anyone-have-a-fix

Thank you! That seemed to fix the problem. Works perfectly now.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Krakatoa:

thanks i will try this tomorrow

2 months later
#18 9 years ago

I ran into this problem and have the official solution from Stern. There is no need to stretch the spring. Stern included the wrong spring on some games and on some they included the proper spring in the coin box

Original Spring (Red) installed on mine

20140506_185736.jpg20140506_185736.jpg

Correct spring = BLUE - was in a bag of parts in my coin door.

20140506_185547.jpg20140506_185547.jpg

After installed no more problem with target failing to drop from direct hits.

#19 9 years ago

I didn't get the blue spring with mine. When did you purchase your game? Maybe this is something new they are doing.

#20 9 years ago

wonder if this is the same reason AC/DC bounces once in awhile? Personally, I think the cannon just fires to fast and it bounces and recatches the lip.

#21 9 years ago

I had to adjust my spring better get the correct one off stern thanks for sharing

#22 9 years ago

I have the blue/purple spring in my Premium, not red. It wouldn't reject all shots, but a dead on hit smack in the middle hard would bounce back sometimes. I went ahead and stretched my spring tonight, worked in testing but I'll need to get more games in to see if it really solved it or not.

7 months later
#23 9 years ago

Any update on where to get the correct "blue" spring? Mine didn't come with one.

#24 9 years ago

This happens every now and then on my Star Trek pro, i've never had the second hit to it not drop it though.

Something that was happening however (and on a WOZ I had at the lone drop target) the connector to the the pcb board for the drop target would fall off every couple dozen games or so from the vibrations or what have you. I recommend using a bread tie wrapped around it to hold the connector in place- hasn't happened since.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from big_ragu:

Any update on where to get the correct "blue" spring? Mine didn't come with one.

Contact Stern and they will mail you one free of charge.

#26 9 years ago

thanks!

8 years later
#27 6 months ago

Here is a good picture of the end result. Just had to do the fix on a friend's game. 8 year old thread helped me to get to the problem fast thanks to all the previous posts!

PXL_20231017_012636513 (resized).jpgPXL_20231017_012636513 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-drop-target and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.