5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Just picked up a Star Trek and was looking to update the code.

Followed advice from several posts and have done the following:
    - With the game off
    - Formatted USB drive to FAT32
    - Plugged USB into game
    - Flip dip switch #8 to ON
    - Power on game. DMD is blank

I tried using service menu option to update code with the game on and the game gets frozen and displays 'rebooting'

With game powered on, flipped #8 and inserted USB, pressed the white reboot button, game freezes on whatever screen the DMD displays when the button is pressed.

Tried new USB, same results. New game code off stern pinball website, same results.

So essentially, the game won't reboot. Game is stuck at v1.4.

Anyone have any ideas? First thumb drive was 32 GB USB 2.0 PNY, second was an older 4GB DataTraveler.

When dip switch 8 is on, the white reboot button freezes the game. If I flip the switch to off and hit the button again, the button produces a reboot.

Did some digging and it looks like the U9 says v1.0. Sounds like I could need to update this first.

Is this the part I am after? https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=U9+update

Thanks!

EDIT: U9 needed a reseating as one pin was visibly sticking out. If you have issues booting into update / issues w/ dip switch 8, this could be your answer!

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

Sounds like I need to update this first.

Looks like you do.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Looks like you do.

Thanks Lloyd

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

Just picked up a Star Trek and was looking to update the code.
    Followed advice from several posts and have done the following:
    - With the game off
    - Formatted USB drive to FAT32
    - Plugged USB into game
    - Flip dip switch #8 to ON
    - Power on game. DMD is blank
    I tried using service menu option to update code with the game on and the game gets frozen and displays 'rebooting'
    With game powered on, flipped #8 and inserted USB, pressed the white reboot button, game freezes on whatever screen the DMD displays when the button is pressed.
    Tried new USB, same results. New game code off stern pinball website, same results.
    So essentially, the game won't reboot. Game is stuck at v1.4.
    Anyone have any ideas? First thumb drive was 32 GB USB 2.0 PNY, second was an older 4GB DataTraveler.
    When dip switch 8 is on, the white reboot button freezes the game. If I flip the switch to off and hit the button again, the button produces a reboot.
    Did some digging and it looks like the U9 says v1.0. Sounds like I could need to update this first.
    Is this the part I am after? https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=U9+update
    Thanks!

You left out the part about where you put the file on the USB drive. Did you make sure the bin file is in the root directory of the USB? Did it get renamed ("copy of..." or "filename(1).bin", etc)?

Also, is this a pro or prem/le?

Are you downloading from a Mac or PC?

It sounds like the game is crashing, which is a symptom of the files not being in the root directory on the earlier roms that couldn't handle that condition.

#5 5 years ago

Star trek pro, downloading on a PC, .bin file is copied from the download folder to flash drive and is in the root directory of a FAT32 flash drive. The file was not renamed.

If I flip dip switch 8 to the on position, it freezes and/or I can't reboot with or without the USB inserted.

I took this to mean that the USB was ruled out and it was an issue with the eprom on the board.

I could definitely be wrong. Any brand of flash drive I should try? All dip switches should be off except #8 when updating?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

Star trek pro, downloading on a PC, .bin file is copied from the download folder to flash drive and is in the root directory of a FAT32 flash drive. The file was not renamed.
    If I flip dip switch 8 to the on position, it freezes and/or I can't reboot with or without the USB inserted.
    I took this to mean that the USB was ruled out and it was an issue with the eprom on the board.
    I could definitely be wrong. Any brand of flash drive I should try? All dip switches should be off except #8 when updating?

Did you try a factory reset?

Maybe try a factory reset and then the USB update.

Older USB 2.0 drives seem to be the most reliable, the crappier, the better. Newer ones and 3.0 ones seem to have issues on the older boot roms.

I only asked about the file location (not in a folder, not renamed, etc) because crashing is something the older roms will do if there's no file in the root on the USB.

#7 5 years ago

Just tried a factory reset. Hanging on any attempt to reboot. I think I am throwing in the towel and giving Stern a ring.

#8 5 years ago

I lied. I checked the eprom closer and it was seated incorrectly. I think we are in business! It's always the easiest answer, lol.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

I lied. I checked the eprom closet and it was seated incorrectly. I think we are in business! It's always the easiest answer, lol.

Persistence yields results!

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

I checked the eprom closer and it was seated incorrectly. I think we are in business!

Thank you for the follow up to help others. Especially on an odd problem.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-dip-switch-8-freezes-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.