DSC_0237x1080 (resized).jpg
DSC_0235x1080 (resized).jpg
DSC_0236x1080 (resized).jpg
DSC_0233x1080 (resized).jpg
DSC_0234x1080 (resized).jpg
DSC_0008c (resized).JPG
GrnFatvsNormal_star (resized).jpg
GrnFatvsNormal_dot (resized).jpg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I am pleased to announce our stunning upgrade to the stock Stern Star Trek laser that comes with the Premium and LE Stern Star Trek Pinball machines.

Laser color choices:

Blue vs Stock Red comparison
http://www.youtube.com/embed/QrvHzcdZGAs

Red vs Stock Red comparison
http://www.youtube.com/embed/C3HZ5_jQgfY

and Green
http://www.youtube.com/embed/INUSo0TJ1OE

Our lasers offer much higher power than the stock laser so Klingon multiball laser light show be that much better. Green laser starts at $76 and is a bolt-on replacement. Blue lasers are still very expensive; so there is a premium for those. The Red lasers are marginally cheaper than the green ones.

Please see:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/modifications-bolt-on-mods-star-trek-laser-upgrade-p-40.html

for detailed, reversible installation instructions.

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

am pleased to announce our stunning upgrade to the stock Stern Star Trek laser that comes with the Premium and LE Stern Star Trek Pinball machines.

It seems to me that the green laser has a lot better contrast than either the blue or red lasers. So it appears brighter.

Is that the case in real life?

Robert

#3 8 years ago

Rob - that it basically correct.

If I were "grade" the colors on a scale:
Blue < Red < Green
which really the way the human eye reacts to the color spectrum. The Blue laser we sell is rated for 100mW... so that gives you an idea of how much power is needed to even get the level of brightness needed.

I'd say that the Blue is slightly brighter than the stock red laser. Our red laser is between 1.5 and 2x the brightness of the stock laser. and the green is by far the brightest... probably 3-4x brighter.

I personally put the Blue on my machine; even though it isn't a massive brightness improvement over the Red. I think the Blue looks better; especially combined with my prototype GI dimmer currently under development. The Green looks great; but it just seemed out of place on the Playfield as there is no green in the art on the machine.

#4 8 years ago

Any timeline for the GI dimmer? Think I'll wait and order together. Combo package deal maybe? I'm assuming it's different than the blackout one in that it dims to a variable level and also blacks-out if you like?

Nice to see some mod activity for ST, as more premiums are being produced, and I have one on order!

#5 8 years ago

When you get one adapted for my lowly Pro I will be sending you $$$!

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

any timeline for the GI dimmer? Think I'll wait and order together. Combo package deal maybe?

It'll be done when it's done. Lots of irons in the fire right now. I haven't even started the quoting process for the design yet.
Right now; I'm trying to get to a point where I can assemble the second revision's prototype and complete the firmware and software apps. My gut say's it'll be june or july.

As far as a combo deal; unlikely. At these volumes; there really isn't a huge profit margin.
The best way to tell me you are interested is to use the "waitlist" link on the product page(s). This tells me roughly how many people are really interested; so I can ensure I get at least that number built.

Quoted from The_Gorilla:

When you get one adapted for my lowly Pro I will be sending you $$$!

Umm... k. If you wanted a laser; why didn't you buy a premium?

7 months later
#7 7 years ago

Due to our 16% off Site wide sale for BlackFriday (Use Discount code: BF2016); we are now out of stock on the green lasers.
We still have about 5 or so Blue lasers... and 3-4 Red lasers.

3 months later
#8 7 years ago

Last Time Buy
Our current laser vendor will not longer ship to USA; as a result, Pinball-Mods.com will be retiring this product when current stock is depleted. We only have a few red and blue lasers left; and will not be restocking green. Available as a first come-first served basis.

Last stock is here:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/modifications-bolt-on-mods-star-trek-laser-upgrade-p-40.html

1 week later
#9 7 years ago

Red Lasers are now Out of Stock.
Only Blue Lasers are still in stock - of which I have 4 left.

#10 7 years ago

Damn! If somehow you find a red one hidden somewhere could I ask you PM me please.

#11 7 years ago

Sorry; I sold the last red one 4 days ago.
I may have a new source for these lasers so may "un-retire them" if there is enough interest.

It'll be several months... as I will need to sample them and verify the quality is what I expect.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Sorry; I sold the last red one 4 days ago.
I may have a new source for these lasers so may "un-retire them" if there is enough interest.
It'll be several months... as I will need to sample them and verify the quality is what I expect.

if you could find another source I would definitely buy 2 but only if they "un-retire" and just to help you just saying

#13 7 years ago

Ok. I have ordered samples from the new vendor with a couple of new lasers.
I'm going to try a Blue laser with 3x the power of our previous lasers.
I have a "fat beam" green laser coming as well to see how different it looks if at all. Maybe some of the star field is brighter.
I have a red coming as well for testing.
Samples should be here in 30days.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Just don't burn a hole in the ship or the playfield

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Ok. I have ordered samples from the new vendor with a couple of new lasers.
I have a "fat beam" green laser coming as well to see how different it looks if at all. Maybe some of the star field is brighter.
I have a red coming as well for testing.
Samples should be here in 30days.

Great! Keen to hear your thoughts on them.

#16 7 years ago

Stop shipping to the largest economy in the world... seems like a good business decision.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Just don't burn a hole in the ship or the playfield

Well; the star diffuser splits up the one laserbeam into a lot of smaller tiny beams... so the "in theory" the sum of each star beam is = the power of the single beam. So; in this case... as long as the ?plastic? star cap doesn't burn under the power it should be good.

Quoted from Borygard:

Stop shipping to the largest economy in the world

Borygard... isnt their side of the pond... it's ours.
FDA is involved somehow.

2 weeks later
#18 7 years ago

I'm definitely interested in the un-retiring of the mod Will be watching this thread for updates.

#19 7 years ago

Watching also!

#20 7 years ago

I am waiting for the new green one as well. 10 days to wait?

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

10 days to wait?

Nope. more like 45-60.
Samples may arrive sometime next week - but haven't gotten a tracking number. Then I need to ensure they meet my expectations, order the production quantity, and wait for the volume parts to be built. If the samples arrive with issues; then the clock restarts.

#22 7 years ago

O.k, understand. Could you provide us with your test results, whether worth waiting or not. And please put me on the waiting list for a green one.

#23 7 years ago

I'm interested, as well.

#24 7 years ago

I am also in once you are ready to go.

#25 7 years ago

Got the samples in today; unfortunately all but one were build to incorrect specifications. I was able to jury rig a powersupply to test the lasers.

I did a side by side comparison against what is considered a "normal" green dot and a special custom made dot:
Top - Special, bottom = normalTop - Special, bottom = normal
The pictures are taken with the same camera at the same lighting. The reason the door appears darker on the larger dot is because it's causing the camera to darking the white to respond to the much brighter/bigger dot.

This dot is about 3x-4x bigger than a standard green. Why would we do this? My thought was it would make more of the dots brighter for a better light show. Here's a simple test with a "star dot" pattern head I have:
Top - Big Dot, Bottom = normalTop - Big Dot, Bottom = normal

As you can see the stars are much brighter than the "normal" dot; but they are more "blurry".

These green dots are not compatible with my GI dimmer due to the vendor building to incorrect specs. At the moment; I can't test in my machine but will try to do so in the coming days.

My Blue laser was built to spec... and it's scary bright due to the power. I'm not sure I'm going to use the higher power because it shows that it can burn black electrical tape pretty easily (and I can feel it on my skin easily). Too much liability with a product like that. For giggles; I do intend to try it in my machine just to see how much better the higher power is.
Blue- a mini sun :DBlue- a mini sun

#26 7 years ago

No luck with the red mate?

#27 7 years ago

Red was fine other than built to incorrect specs. no change in power so no need to photograph

2 weeks later
#28 6 years ago

I got the new lasers built to correct specs.
Please note: The pictures below are taken in a dark room with our GI_Dimmer in effect.
Here are the results of my test:

Green:
standard greenstandard green

Fat Beam Green:
FatBeam GreenFatBeam Green

As you can see the FatBeam green laser does not really work in this application. The dots become round blobs.

standard blue:
blueblue

very high power blue:
high power bluehigh power blue

As I stated; while the effect is much nicer - I have real concerns selling this high power blue because of the safety aspects.

New red; no change from previous speced unit:
red super brightred super bright

#29 6 years ago

Nice!

I will grab a red one when you are ready to go with them, like the look of the green but cant get past the fact red is the 'Klingon' colour.

Could I ask you to put one of your Warp Ramp LED's aside for me as well please?

I will be ordering more but they seem to be low in stock!

#30 6 years ago

Warp leds are basically always in stock and always low as i build more when i run out. So, dont fret about those.

#31 6 years ago

I'll be in for a red one. Perfect match to "Red Alert" and the Premium color scheme

#32 6 years ago

That high power blue looks scary awesome .

2 weeks later
#33 6 years ago

Got a brand new blue one available if anyone is interested.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Got a brand new blue one available if anyone is interested.

Some in Canada needs to buy this from you. I'll make the pot sweeter... I'll reset the warranty on the part for the new owner. Meaning I'll warranty the new owner for a full 30days.

Keep in mind I'm out of stock on all lasers with an earliest available date of near end of next month (June).

4 weeks later
#35 6 years ago

All,
The lasers are back in stock on my website.

I have plenty of stock of green lasers, I ordered a handful of Red and high-power blue... so order away:

#36 6 years ago

Hi Zitt,
there are different versions of the green ones depending on power. Differ the versions with regard of the size of the light dots itself or is the intensity of the light the only difference?

#37 6 years ago

Dot size is the same across all green lasers. The only difference that the lasers are binned by myself using a laser power meter.

3 weeks later
#38 6 years ago

Experiment time: I wondered what would happen if I had a module with both a red and green laser in it... and what would it look like?
RGLaser OverallRGLaser Overall

RGLaser PFRGLaser PF

RGLaser ColorDMD w/o ApronRGLaser ColorDMD w/o Apron

Comments?

1 month later
#39 6 years ago

Zitt, I'd like to see a dual color laser/s in ST. Interested for sure!

options!
RG (listed above in the pic's)
RB
GB
all 3 lol (I know I know it's not possible yet)

wish we had a 2nd hole on the other side of the apron to make it easier.

#40 6 years ago

I'd have to have a "pre-order" list to judge interest... as dual color lasers would be more expensive than the blue lasers.
RG would be cheapest < RB < GB would be most expensive

GB isn't current offered by my manufacturing partner; but I think it'd be doable.
Note: I've already asked and RGB isn't possible in the size restrictions of the Stern module.

So; if people are interested in any of the options chime in - to encourage me to get serious about dual color lasers.

2 months later
#41 6 years ago

These Lasers are eligible for our Black Friday 16% off Sale while supplies last. Discount does not apply to shipping.

Must Enter Discount Code: BF2017

2 years later
#42 4 years ago

Our Green and Blue lasers are on sale during our Star_Trek: Picard salethru 1/27/20. Red remains out of stock.

I may be doing final order of lasers from our vendor in a few months. I'll get a handful of red lasers along with a sample of a very expensive yellow laser for my personal machine. If you have interest in getting in the final Red laser purchase... please PM me.

9 months later
#43 3 years ago

Final order of Red lasers has shipped. I expect to have stock after Black Friday.

2 months later
#44 3 years ago

Final Stock of Red lasers is back in stock on our website.
I do not expect to restock these lasers in the future given Star Trek has been out of manufacturing for quiet sometime.
This is likely your final chance to own a laser upgrade for Stern Star Trek.

3 months later
#45 2 years ago

Sold my last Blue laser tonight.
The Blue lasers are considered "retired" and will not be restocked unless there is HUGE demand.

Red lasers are in danger of being retired.. I have maybe 3-4 lasers left.
Green lasers - there is still 6 or so lasers left.

Seriously; if you've been on the fence - now is the time to execute your purchase.

2 months later
#46 2 years ago

Hi Zitt. I need to get a green Lazer if that is the one you most recommend. Is there a full kit? What all is recommended? Thanks!

#47 2 years ago

TigerLaw
Green lasers are better because they are more sensitive to the human eye and "clash" against the LE/Premiums Playfield colors.
A green laser as the same power level is "brighter" than blue (which is out of stock) or Red. Red is fine (ours is much higher in output power); that said Red does "wash out" on a mostly red playfield.

I don't know what you mean by "full kit"...
By default; all of my laser mods come with the laser; a VRM cable, and a VRM unlike the stock crap Stern shipped.
That is the extent of a "kit".

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hi Zitt. I need to get a green Lazer if that is the one you most recommend. Is there a full kit? What all is recommended? Thanks!

I have Zitt's high power "binned" laser works awesome and yes the green is very bright and IMO is a better color for the playfield which has a lot of red and blue already.

7 months later
#49 2 years ago

Is the green "low power" laser any good? I had the green high power laser on my last STLE and it made all the difference over the red stock laser. Now that only green low power is available just wondering if it is worth upgrading on my new STLE?

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from glasairpilot:

Now that only green low power is available just wondering if it is worth upgrading on my new STLE?

You're doing an unfair comparison.
The stock red laser is under 5mW then split with the beam splitter.
The low power green is easily 2-3x more than that plus it won't be absorbed by the PF art.
That said; you'll probably be disappointed if you had the high power green in your last LE.
I think it'd look better than stock red; but not as good as the non-longer available high power green.

You should stop selling your games; then you wouldn't have this problem.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-blue-red-or-green-laser-upgrade-kits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.