You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STLE129.jpg
STLE125.jpg
STLE124.jpg
#1 8 years ago

A few days ago I posted about cracking on my Alpha ramp (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-le-alpha-ramp-entrance-cracking).

Jgaltr56 suggested that I should email Andy at [email protected]. I contacted Andy and he pointed me to his eBay auction for this mod for $48 (US) for 2 sets of protectors for the Alpha and Beta quadrant ramps.

I highly recommend them to protect your game. It was easy to install.

The full set of pictures is here: http://purcellvillepinball.com/STLE2015.html#RAMP

Here are a few pictures:

STLE124.jpgSTLE124.jpg STLE125.jpgSTLE125.jpg STLE129.jpgSTLE129.jpg
#2 8 years ago

I just got mine in the mail. Was there a protective film on yours, and did you remove it before installing?

#3 8 years ago

Yes. There was a protective film that looked like a pretty design of white with blue lines. It was thick but came off easily. I removed it before installing.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks. I just heard back from Freddy's and they confirmed the same. Great service.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I contacted Andy and he pointed me to his eBay auction for this mod for $48 (US) for 2 sets of protectors for the Alpha and Beta quadrant ramps.
I highly recommend them to protect your game. It was easy to install.
The full set of pictures is here: http://purcellvillepinball.com/STLE2015.html#RAMP

Thanks for this info and the photos!

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the info, with these no ramps will crack!

#7 8 years ago

How did you get the one to the left of the alpha ramp on? I can't get the Stern protector off. It seems larger than the other two, and there is a post in the way. Did you take off all of the surrounding plastics and unscrew the ramp flap at the bottom?

#8 8 years ago

Thanks for posting this. Just ordered a Star Trek Pro, should have it next week.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

How did you get the one to the left of the alpha ramp on? I can't get the Stern protector off. It seems larger than the other two, and there is a post in the way. Did you take off all of the surrounding plastics and unscrew the ramp flap at the bottom?

I found my answer to my question in another thread. Interestingly, I actually posed the same question in that thread a couple of weeks ago and then forgot about the answer. You just need to unscrew the top screw and bend back the Stern protector while it is in place, slipping the Freddy's protector behind it.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Thanks for posting this. Just ordered a Star Trek Pro, should have it next week.

Great game, judging by the pinside 'owners' list, I think ST is a big seller, not quite up to Metallica but has been out one year less.

#11 8 years ago

My vengeance already has those metal ramp protectors installed! Do they not come with a pro??

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Great game, judging by the pinside 'owners' list, I think ST is a big seller, not quite up to Metallica but has been out one year less.

~6 months less.

But huge, none the less!

#13 8 years ago

No doubt Stern sold a lot of Star Treks. They came out several years ago and still being produced.

I ordered ramp protectors for me pro. Not sure I really need them but might as well. Already have some damage so chances of more are high.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

My vengeance already has those metal ramp protectors installed! Do they not come with a pro??

Please look at the before and after photos (especially on my web site listed above). The game comes with protectors. But these protectors do not protect the lip of the ramp where mine started cracking on the left side of the alpha quadrant ramp. The after pictures show that these additional ramp protectors go beneath the existing protectors and add an extra layer of protection.

1 week later
#15 8 years ago

Got my machine this week and ordered these up, thanks for posting about them!

#16 8 years ago

Enjoy the game. Make sure you have the latest code. And have fun playing it.

The other mods I got (which you can search for on PINSIDE) are:
Cliffy protectors from www.passionforpinball.com
Lighted Bird of Prey from FlashyMods.com (if you have a premium or LE)
Vengeance Mod from Beatmaster (search for him and articles with "Vengeance Mod")

There are many other mods to buy. I am happy with the 4 I got (including these ramp protectors).

#17 8 years ago

I got a kickout protector from pin-protection... I got theirs for my Metallica and liked it (the Mystery Scoop takes a way bigger beating than the Star Trek kickout), so figured I'd give this one a shot. I ordered the blue Vengeance mod before I even got the game!

I'm probably not going to add any ships, because in all honesty I love the game despite the theme rather than because of it. The less Star Trekky it stays, the more I'll love it. Put it between two other games so I wouldn't see the art. lol

I said it before, but thanks again for linking them, I probably never would have found them if you didn't post them. They don't turn up on any of the regular pin parts suppliers.

#18 8 years ago

Got my protectors from Freddy's pinball and installed them on my STLE. Great fit, easy install!

#19 8 years ago

Just ordered these off eBay, thanks for the info!

#20 8 years ago

I ordered them too

#21 8 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I just ordered some!

1 week later
#22 8 years ago

Has anyone contacted Stern about the fact that the protectors that come with the machine do not work as intended ?

Stern is usually pretty good at putting out fixes for machine issues. And the installed protectors are defective by definition if they are not performing their intended purpose .

#23 8 years ago

I sent them (Pat and Chas) the same pictures posted at the beginning of this post. I work with them a lot with all the questions I have while repairing or looking for parts. I was told my game was no longer under warranty, but they did not state they would look into it. I will contact them again on Monday and by email and mention this.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I sent them (Pat and Chas) the same pictures posted at the beginning of this post. I work with them a lot with all the questions I have while repairing or looking for parts. I was told my game was no longer under warranty, but they did not state they would look into it. I will contact them again on Monday and by email and mention this.

Thanks, It would be in Stern's interest to provide a fix for this from a "do the right thing" vantage point.

#25 8 years ago

I got my protectors in the mail. They had a rough corner on all of them that needed sanding to get smooth. There was also some black crud around the plastic film that was a pain to clean off. Installing was a pain, too. It was not easy bending the Stern protectors for me. They do look stock and there is no way ramps are going to break now so all good.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I found my answer to my question in another thread. Interestingly, I actually posed the same question in that thread a couple of weeks ago and then forgot about the answer. You just need to unscrew the top screw and bend back the Stern protector while it is in place, slipping the FREDDY's protector behind it.

So glad you posted this. I just got my protectors, and without referring back to the thread initially thought I had to remove some plastics to get to those two big mounting screws at the base of that factory ramp protector.

Is there no issue with the Warp ramp cracking? I was sort of expecting protector for all the ramp entrances, but those would be trickier to make due to the bend.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

So glad you posted this. I just got my protectors, and without referring back to the thread initially thought I had to remove some plastics to get to those two big mounting screws at the base of that factory ramp protector.

Yeah, I remember having a bit of a panic attack at the thought of removing everything before I figured out that there was a much simpler way.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Any news from the people at Stern as far as a fix?

#29 8 years ago

Thanks. I called Chas yesterday and pointed him to my site pictures of the crack (http://purcellvillepinball.com/STLE2015.html#RAMP about 9th picture down). He said that if a person has this cracking during the warranty period, they will replace the ramp. But after the warranty period (like mine), they cannot do anything. He thought the ramp protector that Freddy's Pinball Paradise sells is a good type of protection and will suggest this to the developers for the future to ensure that future ramps will not crack like this.

So it looks like the solution is to catch a crack early while in the warranty period or immediately buy these protectors.

I wish they made one for the curved warp to protect this ramp.

2 weeks later
#30 8 years ago

Can you buy these ramps to replace broken ones?

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Can you buy these ramps to replace broken ones?

Yes, but first I would contact your distributor to see if Stern will take care of it under warranty. Even if you are already outside of the technical warranty, they may still help.

6 months later
#32 8 years ago

I just installed a set of these on my LE today. The left Alpha Quadrant protector was harder to install on my game than I anticipated. I tried bending the factory protector and slipping the new one behind it, but it was too tight to fit properly. I ended up having to loosen the Warp ramp and loosen the asteroid plastics so I could get to the hex nuts and unscrew the factory protector. Once I had it off, I was able to manipulate the metal so that everything lined up correctly. It was a bit of a pain, but well worth it for the piece of mind it provides. Overall, I'm very pleased with this mod and would highly recommend it!

#33 8 years ago

I also just installed these a couple weeks ago. Not that bad to install and they make the ramps nice and solid! Good product if you own a stern ST!

1 year later
#34 6 years ago

Does anyone know if these ramp protectors are still available?

#35 6 years ago

id like a set too!

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Deafcon:

Does anyone know if these ramp protectors are still available?

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

id like a set too!

Gents, "Cliffy" now makes 3 Alpha, Beta, & Warp ramp protectors.

email him from his contract page. http://passionforpinball.com/

#37 6 years ago

No way. Today I just ordered a set of Alpha and Beta protectors from Freddy's web site IN GERMAN! What a pain in the arse that was!!!
Emailed Cliff about the Warp ramp protector.
Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-alpha-beta-quadrant-ramp-protectors?hl=deafcon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.