deletelater2.jpg
deletelater.jpg
Capture-806.JPG
jump.jpg
u4.png
u3.png
u2.png
Untitled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nosro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-all-music-replaced-with-music-from-movie-video/page/5#post-3918495

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/3/16 - The information in the rest of this post will be maintained for posterity. Meanwhile, jump to this post for the new procedure to import the sounds into the latest Stern code:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-all-music-replaced-with-music-from-movie-video/page/3#post-3229934

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-all-music-replaced-with-music-from-movie-video/page/5#post-3918495

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Introduction: my objective was to use the original movie soundtrack and make fans of the movies feel more immersed in the movie experience. I have remained faithful to the movie, such as using the Klingon music during Klingon modes.

The information below details how to reconstruct the music segments. I believe that the resulting music falls under fair use.

I used the Pinball Browser (http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images) to replace all the music in Star Trek with music from the JJ Abrams movies.

Thanks to oga83 for the pinball browser, tbanthony for the jump start in identifying the music, and cmproductions for the idea in the first place!

This thread lists the sound request that goes with each mode should you want to try this yourself: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-catalog-of-music

PROCEDURE TO REPLACE MUSIC WITH ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

Here are my objectives for this work:
1) Use legally acquired music to replace the music in Star Trek
2) Since each mode corresponds with a scene from the movies, use music from the corresponding movie scene. (Big help from the wiki articles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28soundtrack%29 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Into_Darkness_%28soundtrack%29 )
3) Re-edit the music to fit within the allotted time such that the music will not end abruptly mid-phrase.
4) Re-edit the music to use the most exciting portions of the music and remove quieter interludes.
5) Re-process the music to sound reasonable within the limitations of the speakers and a noisy pinball environment
6) Find a way to do this such that others can recreate the same result legally, thereby reducing risk that this effort has to go "underground".

If you are interested in recreating this, the procedure below describes how to do so. If you are comfortable with a PC, I believe you can complete this in one hour.

1) PROGRAM DOWNLOADS
Download all of the following free programs:
Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Sony Acid Xpress: http://www.acidplanet.com/downloads/xpress/
Pinball Browser: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

2) PURCHASE MUSIC
Purchase the following tracks from Amazon (if you purchase from another source, the timing of the music edits may be slightly different because each MP3 encoding may include a different amount of silence at the beginning of the track. I made all of the music edits from the Amazon MP3 and it is the only one that I know will work with the provided Acid configuration files. The silence is a requirement of the MP3 codec and thus cannot be changed.)
--- Star Trek
2. Nailin' The Kelvin
5. Enterprising Young Men
6. Nero Sighted
12. Back From Black
14. End Credits
--- Star Trek Into Darkness
1. Logos/Pranking The Natives (3:01)
3. Sub Prime Directive (2:23)
6. The Kronos Wartet (5:25)
7. Brigadoom (3:41)
8. Ship To Ship (2:50)
9. Earthbound And Down (2:37)
14. Star Trek Main Theme (3:25)

3) DOWNLOAD BIN FILE
Download the BIN file corresponding to your Star Trek game from Stern: http://www.sternpinball.com/USB_STPB.html

4) DOWNLOAD ACD CONFIGURATION FILES
Download this ZIP file which contains several ACD files (used in Sony Acid Xpress; these files specify the exact track edits): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8292818/ST%20sound%20configs%20v3.zip
Optional download: you can use the included DAT file (if you have an LE machine, you will have to rename it to STLE1-41.DAT) - PinballBrowser uses the DAT file to give each Sound Request a name. I gave each sound request the name of the game mode that I believe is associated with it.

5) COMPUTER SETUP
Install Audacity and Sony Acid.

Place all of the ACD files, the pinball BIN file, DAT file, the MP3 files, and the Pinball Browser into one directory.

6) CREATE MUSIC FILES
For each ACD file, do the following:
a) Open the ACD file (for example "SR26 - Star trek theme remix.acd")
b) When Sony Acid attempts to open the file, it will indicate that it cannot find the associated audio file. Select "Specify New Location" and find the missing file specified in the dialog box. For example, this dialogue box is asking for "14 - Star Trek Main Theme.mp3". Find this MP3 in your directory.
Untitled.pngUntitled.png
c) Once it has loaded the music, choose File -> Render As, and save the WAV file (in the same directory as you have saved everything else) using the Sound Request number as the name, for example "SR26", to help keep track of everything. Be sure to use "Render As" rather than "Save".
d) Open Audacity.
e) Open the WAV file you created in "c" above.
d) In the lower left corner of Audacity, set the "Project Rate" to 24,000
e) Choose Edit -> Select -> All
f) Choose Tracks -> Stereo Track to Mono
g) Choose Effect -> Compressor. Choose the settings as follows:
u2.pngu2.png
h) Optional: This step edits the length to eliminate the silence that would otherwise be heard between when the music ends and the music is restarted. Choose Effect -> Change Tempo. In the box below, enter the number of seconds corresponding to the length permitted in the Sound Request to the tenth of a second, rounding down. For example, for Sound Request 26, the length is 1:01.318, so enter 61.3 seconds. (See this thread for sound request lengths: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-catalog-of-music).
Exception: do not do so for "SR33 End Credit" since this replacement is much shorter than the original.
u3.pngu3.png

i) Choose File -> Export. Save this WAV file according to the sound request number. For example "SR26.WAV".
j) Repeat this for all of the Sound Requests. Listen to the results in your favorite media player to make sure there is no significant error.

7) REPLACE MUSIC IN BIN
a) Open Pinball Browser
b) Open the BIN file that you downloaded from Stern
c) Go to the Sounds section. Select the Sound Request number corresponding to each WAV file that you created and click on "Import". For example, select Sound Request 26 in Pinball Browser, click "import" and then select the "SR26.WAV" file that you created.
u4.pngu4.png
d) Repeat until you have used all of the WAV files that you have created.
e) Click "Save As" and save this new BIN file with a new file name.

FLASH INTO MACHINE
Put this new BIN file onto a USB flash drive and reprogram your machine according to the Stern instructions: http://www.sternpinball.com/IntroSAM.html

----------------------------------------------

ACD change log
v2: fixed SR50 which had a remnant at 3:00.
v3: fixed SR33 to reference MP3 instead of WAV file. Adjusted edit timing accordingly.
v4: changed SR27 to use "Enterprising Young Men" instead of "Star Trek Main Theme" since "Star Trek Main Theme" is already used for SR26.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Mojosan:

On a scale of 1-10, how difficult is this to do?
On the same scale how easy is it to return the game to factory if you screw it up?

Using Pinball Browser to replace the music and then load it onto your machine is a cinch. Editing the music to fit within the available time took most of the effort. I estimate expending 8 hours total editing the music for correct length.

#10 10 years ago

I purchased the Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness MP3's from Amazon.

I'm working on making available some configuration files for Sony Acid Xpress 7 (which is available as freeware) which would not have any copyright problems. You'll have to supply your own legally acquired MP3's. I hope to have a procedure written that anyone can follow.

EDIT: everything you need is described in the first post!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Is there possibility of just listing textually the track starting positions in which track and how you mapped that to which req for those of us that can handle the details?

I can list the tracks. The problem is that there isn't necessarily one starting time. For example, the Klingon music is actually three different sections of "Kronos Wartet" mixed together. I did this to shorten the track and to take out quiet or slow sections, which the soundtrack is full of because it is made to match the on screen action.

I will provide this, though, for those who enjoy mixing. Stay tuned.

#21 10 years ago

I need a guinea pig to try out this procedure. PM me.

EDIT: I have enough beta testers for now.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from cmproductions:

Easy!!! I did this the week the game came out!!! Only took a couple hours. I used the iTunes tracks with no issue.

Actually, your work was the inspiration for what I did here! I certainly was not clever enough to think to use the soundtrack music, so all credit to you on this project.

The only thing that's different here is that I am offering a way to edit the songs so that the songs fit neatly within the allotted time with no abrupt cutoff partway through the song (re-edit the song and also through pitchless tempo change). Also, I was hoping to help walk through how to post-process the sound to make it better fit the limited audio hardware (dynamic range compressor, frequency conversion) for those who aren't familiar with all the technicalities of digital audio.

#28 10 years ago

I will fix SR50. Looks like I forgot to delete some stuff at the 3:00 mark. (If you included that in the WAV file, Pinball Browser would simply have cut it off since SR50 is limited to 57.541 seconds.)

So did you flash all this into your machine?

Also, did you by chance receive the SR26 ACD as "remix" or "remix 2"? I'm asking because I did another mix that I think works better because SR43 (frequently comes up as a Shoot-away-team music) is simply SR26 starting at 18.414 seconds. Therefore, I modified SR26 so that starting the music at 18.414 seconds sounds OK rather than in the middle of a music phrase.

#32 10 years ago

Based on markmon's comments, I have posted the missing ACD files. Everyone give it a go and report any problems by PM or here!

Note: I have altered the SR26 edit so that SR43 sounds decent, since SR43 is simply SR26, but starting at exactly 18.414. Therefore, I made sure that 18.414 in SR26 was a good musical transition point.

#34 10 years ago

Yes. Although you can listen to it and decide if you like the old one better or if you think the new one is not worth the trouble. The difference is minor except that the new one works decently when you start playback at 18.414 seconds.

You may also want to check SR50 Jump to make sure that it sounds OK at the cutoff point - I did update it according to the problem that you found, so the new one may have a better cutoff behavior than the one that you have. (You can just play it back in Pinball Browser and make sure the music ends gracefully.)

#35 10 years ago

I should note that I'm always open to any suggestions of different music from the soundtrack! We can post alternatives.

#39 10 years ago

I will look into the SR33 problem - shouldn't be that way.

Quoted from jfh:

Going to build the new file tomorrow, but will have to wait until Pinball Refinery is done with my machine until I can try it.

You are not alone. I did most of the work described here before my machine arrived. I played 5 games on the original music before flashing in new music.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from micro:

Hey Nosro,
A couple things I noticed. Your SR33 ACD references a .wav file, where as all other ACD files are referencing mp3s. I thought you might want that consistent.
I assume that we should NOT use the optional change tempo on a track like that used for SR33, as it is much smaller than the one used in the game.

Thanks for spotting this. I fixed SR33 to reference the MP3, but also the beginning of the edit is different because of the silence that is at the beginning of all MP3's but is not at the beginning of WAV files.

Fixed the instructions to note that tempo should not be changed for SR33.

I also redid SR27 to avoid re-using the same music that is used in SR26. If you don't like this, choose V3. No biggie.

All changes detailed in change log if you are so inclined, otherwise, just pick up the latest.

-----------------------------

Bonus: I included a knocker sound that is much softer and less loud. It is a generic "blaster" sound: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8292818/SR25%20-%20knocker%202.wav

2 weeks later
#43 10 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

nosro,
Thanks for doing all the hard work.
I'm just following up on this since I've been playing with it this week.
Two of your Acid files are off and leave a blank pause at the end of their respective tracks and are noticeable while playing the game.

Step 6h, which I said was optional, stretches out the music without changing the pitch. That would, for example, lengthen Nero from 44 to 46 seconds. It definitely changes the tempo of the music, but I do not find it troublesome compared to the silence.

Certainly we're all open to alternative edits! But these ACD files represent the best that I could do to completely fill in the allotted time without abrupt cut-offs.

#47 10 years ago

What you may be hearing is that sometimes, the game restarts the music from a point in the middle of the song. For example, SR26 restarts at 18.4 seconds. Therefore, the next step that I am taking is to determine where the game likes to restart the song and see if I can edit the song to sound good when restarted at that time. In the example of SR26, the ACD is already modified such that the music sounds good when starting at 0 seconds or at 18.4 seconds. Now I have to do it for all the others. This is going to be really tricky.

#49 10 years ago

I have updated the music list ( http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-catalog-of-music ) to indicate where some of the music restarts. For example, the Nero mode music initially starts at the beginning, but once the end is reached, the music does not restart at the beginning, but instead restarts at 10.15 seconds.

I will be re-editing the music again so that playing the music from the restart point makes musical sense and does not sound abrupt. Those who have not done this modification yet may want to wait for this next revision of the ACD files.

tktlwyr: this may explain some of what you were hearing since both SR53 and SR56 do not restart at the beginning.

5 months later
#54 9 years ago

Bump. The music from the new Star Trek code v1.50 is the same as in the previous v1.40 release. Therefore, all of the music can be used in the new Star Trek code with no changes!

#56 9 years ago

If you made the music and imported into 1.40, you can use Pinball Browser to export the music as WAV files. After that, import those WAV files into 1.50.

#58 9 years ago

This thread below shows exactly which sound requests have the music.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-catalog-of-music

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

if I wish to use a different track than specified should I use a shorter or longer mp3?

Ideally, you want to modify any track to fit exactly within the permitted time. That was the main difficulty.

If you simply open pinball browser and pick unmodified MP3s there will be abrupt transitions in the music.

The other difficulty is that some sound requests start partway through the middle of another track, so the edit should also sound OK when starting from that point.

I spent many hours finding these edit points so no one has to undertake this time consuming step. Of course, if you are good with sound editing, go for it and share your results.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Gameplay 1.5 with original music : » YouTube video
Gameplay with 1.5 replaced music : » YouTube video

It's great to see that someone else has made this work also! If you have any suggestions to make the procedure more clear, let me know.

#79 9 years ago

I'm guessing the cost to license the original music was too high or that a license was not even offered. That's why we're left to do this for ourselves.

#81 9 years ago

That's interesting. So it would seem that SR believed that the music was so unsuitable that it was worth spending time and money out of a fixed budget to make new music.

I'm with you, though. Perhaps if the player is attracted to the Star Trek franchise, using the original soundtrack enhances the experience. On the other hand, if the player is "meh" about Star Trek, the current Thiel music is better.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

OK. So I was able to get this done. It took a little longer than I was hoping, but now I have the songs prepared for the next time around I suppose.

Yes. Keep those WAV files. When v1.50 was released, it took me 5 minutes to create a new BIN file.

My machine has literally never played David Thiel music! (I'm not saying it's bad - I rather think it is very good. I just wanted the soundtrack music from the beginning.)

#85 9 years ago

Great! If you think anything in the instructions was unclear, please let me know.

#88 9 years ago

If you would like to try just one song, try "14. Star Trek Main Theme (3:25)" which is used for Sound Request 26. The edit for SR26 has cuts and edits that are precisely set. Listen to the song after performing the "Sony Acid" editing. If it doesn't sound perfect, then the amazon.co.uk MP3 might be different from the amazon.com MP3 files.

3 months later
#104 9 years ago

I haven't seen that kind of fault before - if you already checked the WAV file with another application, then I have no other ideas. You may want to ask about it in the Pinball Browser thread.

2 months later
#110 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Why does it have to be 128 Kbps?

Put another way, 128Kbps is the highest bitrate that the trial version will let you save. It's not a limitation when using the stock speakers. If you have aftermarket speakers, you may want to spring for a Sony Acid license so that you can save in WAV format.

Let me know if you need some help.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Why not use the free Audio tool AUDACITY instead of sonys acid express? Audacity has no restrictions saving to wav or using higher bit rates...

I needed a way to save the fade points without saving the music file with it in order to avoid music piracy. I was unable to do this with Audacity.

1 year later
#125 7 years ago

I need a volunteer to try a test file.

#127 7 years ago

I have a 1.61 package for someone to beta test. Anybody?

#134 7 years ago

I got quite a few people to sign up as beta testers but no feedback. Anybody? If I get enough feedback, I'll release appropriate files, but I don't even know if it works correctly because I don't have a Star Trek anymore!

BTW, anyone who also has a Tron can check out my Tron music replacement: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress

#138 7 years ago

I have enough beta testers for now. If I can get enough confirmations that this is good, I'll provide the WAV files which can be easily imported via PinballBrowser.

I need confirmations from others because I don't have a Star Trek anymore to confirm on my own.

#141 7 years ago

Here are the steps to insert the movie soundtrack into Star Trek:
1) Download the official Stern code (currently v1.61), either Pro or LE
2) Download the 7z utility at www.7z.org.
3) Download "Star Trek sounds.7z". https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iqny06jinqqyzb5/AAB84J68KkKkn_znEMbb1GX6a?dl=0
Unpack using the 7z utility. The password is the name of this website (all lowercase); please figure this out on your own and don't post this.
4) Place all files (sounds and Stern code) into the same folder.
5) Open Pinball Browser. If you haven't already, make a donation and enter the license so that you are able to import the long sound files. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images
6) Open the Stern code:
s1_(resized).pngs1_(resized).png
7) Select "Macros"
s2_(resized).pngs2_(resized).png
8) Open the macro by selecting the button below and opening the "ImportSounds.pbm" file
s3_(resized).pngs3_(resized).png
9) Press the play button for the macro
s4_(resized).pngs4_(resized).png
10) Save your new code file. Pick a unique name that is less than 8 characters long.
s5_(resized).pngs5_(resized).png
11) Flash this new code file using the standard Stern code update procedure.
Added over 8 years ago: Note that if you use the LE code, you might get a warning. Just click yes - the sound scripts for these tracks are the same between Pro and LE.

Added over 7 years ago: Here are the steps to insert the movie soundtrack into Star Trek:
1) Download the official Stern code (currently v1.61), either Pro or LE
2) Download the 7z utility at www.7z.org.
3) Download "Star Trek sounds.7z". https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8292818/ST/Star%20Trek%20sounds.7z
Unpack using the 7z utility. The password is the name of this website (all lowercase); please figure this out on your own and don't post this.
4) Place all files (sounds and Stern code) into the same folder.
5) Open Pinball Browser. If you haven't already, make a donation and enter the license so that you are able to import the long sound files. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images
6) Open the Stern code:
s1_(resized).pngs1_(resized).png
7) Select "Macros"
s2_(resized).pngs2_(resized).png
8) Open the macro by selecting the button below and opening the "ImportSounds.pbm" file
s3_(resized).pngs3_(resized).png
9) Press the play button for the macro. Note that if you use the LE code, you might get a warning. Just click yes - the sound scripts for these tracks are the same between Pro and LE.
s4_(resized).pngs4_(resized).png
10) Save your new code file. Pick a unique name that is less than 8 characters long.
s5_(resized).pngs5_(resized).png
11) Flash this new code file using the standard Stern code update procedure.

Added over 7 years ago: UPDATE: link has changed to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iqny06jinqqyzb5/AAB84J68KkKkn_znEMbb1GX6a?dl=0

#142 7 years ago

I would appreciate it if someone can try out the procedure posted above and provide any feedback on the write-up.

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Will the macro work for the Premium as well?

Yes. You will get a warning that the macro is "designated for a different firmware". Just click YES since the sound scripts are the same between Pro and LE.

4 months later
#156 7 years ago

You can adjust the music (strangely enough, you need negative numbers to make it louder), but I find that it ruins some of the fading and mixing that happens during a game and sometimes causes some abrupt cuts. For example, after adjusting the music volume from the default, the first thing I noticed is that the end-of-game music cuts off abruptly rather than fading out smoothly.

1 month later
#162 7 years ago

Apparently, the license agreement included the soundtrack, but the designers elected to use original music. It's a shame, because soundtracks are increasingly devoid of actual music (see video below). Star Trek is a rare action franchise to use actual music in the movie and Stern discards it.

2 months later
#169 7 years ago

I'm glad it worked out.

2 months later
#188 6 years ago

I will see what is wrong with the Drop Box later tonight.

#197 6 years ago

Someone try this link before I update the first post.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iqny06jinqqyzb5/AAB84J68KkKkn_znEMbb1GX6a?dl=0

#199 6 years ago

Please do not ask any questions until you read at least the first few steps here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-all-music-replaced-with-music-from-movie-video/page/3#post-3229934

1 month later
#206 6 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

So just installed this mod and like it a lot. Thanks a million to nosro for the great work.
What are the optimal settings for volume? I would like the music to be louder but it doesn´t seem to work. Setting different volume levels rather seem to make the sound go bananas. Anyone got an idea what is the best settings?

Unfortunately, if you adjust the music volume via the menu, it ruins the fade effects in the game, which might be what you are hearing.

1 month later
#215 6 years ago

Everybody thank Clay cfh :
http://www.pinrepair.com/de/roms

3 weeks later
#244 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Can anyone post a YouTube video so I can see/hear this?

Did you see the first post?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nosro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-all-music-replaced-with-music-from-movie-video?tu=nosro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.